Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Was tired of Chrome, tried and disliked Opera, have now jumped ship to Firefox. Liking it a lot so far, performance is very good, ublock origin on mobile is a god send. Only one tiny fly in the ointment, animated GIFs are like kryptonite to it. One page of the GIF thread and the browser is squirming on the floor. Improved somewhat when I replaced the accidentally downloaded (and previously mentioned) 32-bit version, it totally poo poo itself like an ebola victim. But even a single one plays back poorly with jerks on every loop so there's clearly something not right. Hardware accel is enabled, anything else to do about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

GIFs aren't hardware accelerated. Theoretically you could but no one has processor die space for that.

They'll poo poo up anything that isn't a workstation or similarly powerful and there's not a lot to be done about it. If you're talking about Android, you might give the Awful app a shot.

I switched on both laptop and mobile for bookmark/tab sync, but the gif making GBS threads is taking place on the laptop. Chrome and Edge handles it fine, but Firefox doesn't, on the same laptop, so it's definitely Firefox that is the problem. But scrolling through a huge amount of GIFs isn't a big priority in my life so it's not a big deal.

e: I've never thought hardware acceleration meant anything more than "use more computer, make it work better".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Is there an extention or userscript that will stop a page from loading embedded YouTube videos? A site for a game I play lets people embed YouTube videos, and it tends to slow Firefox down for a few seconds while it processes them. Frankly, I don't care about the videos, so I'd like to just stop them from loading.

Maybe this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/fi...auto-pausestop/

Don't know if it works off the main domain, don't know what else it does. Just wanted to help.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wheany posted:

If you want to make Firefox chug real bad, just visit the the smilies list right here on these dead forums. No videos, no 50MB gifs.

Chrome handles that page way better.

That page works fine for me and I've seen if choke in Chrome. Have 10 tabs open in addition to it, one playing music and one paused youtube, which tend to eat a bit of resource. But the emoticons loaded quite slowly, the popped into view one by one, row by row, each row taking a second and a half or something like that. About half way down they started loading faster, once the page was fully loaded it scrolled and animated fine.

One thing that can slow down Firefox for me is my habit of browsing youtube and opening videos I'd like to see in new tabs (with pause unless in focus enabled). Chrome handles this very well, but Firefox can choke at 7 or 8. It starts using quite a bit of cpu and around 1500 megs of RAM - a bit weird that it doesn't use more of my 8 gigs installed - and it definitely is the 64-bit edition. Typing gets slow, videos won't buffer, you have to restart it. Weirdly, not always.

It wouldn't be too surprising if Google developers wrote better code than the Mozilla foundation, used resources more efficiently etc. But Google has a toddler's attention span and as soon as they have perfected a feature it is discarded and replaced or tweaked and broken. Maps 3D still doesn't work in my Chrome browser, it works fine in Firefox.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ok, here's a weird issue. On one specific site, right clicking any link causes both mouse events to be triggered, i.e. both the right click context menu opens and the link is left clicked.

The site in question: https://www.nrk.no/ (Norwegian news site)

It doesn't happen in Chrome and it doesn't happen on other sites, even the subdomain https://tv.nrk.no/

Any ideas on what's up?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

Misbehaving add-on, maybe? It isn't doing it for me.

I had ruled that out, since my only addon is uBlock and I had disabled it for that site. But when I enable it, the problem goes away. So thanks! Only when it's disabled does the problem occur. Tested disabling it on another site, same problem doesn't appear. Some weird combo of factors triggers a bug in uBlock I guess.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nalin posted:

Install this extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fi...porter/?src=api

It will add a line on each extension in the list that says if it is compatible with multiprocess or not.

Also thanks. FlashStopper was incompatible. Any other alternatives to prevent autoplaying crap?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks, I've got that setting already. Great for my tab flinging habit while browsing youtube, but doesn't work for autoplaying stuff on the page I'm currently reading, such as all loving news media these days. The autoplay bastards are on to the uninstall flash game as well, by using html5. And flashstopper (which also blocks html5) doesn't just keep it paused, but it prevents loading and caching as well, so it's a great addon. I'll see what I can best make do without, and tip the flashstopper devs about the problem.

edit: or maybe just read the addon page:

quote:

Multiprocess incompatible (there is an e10s version in the dev channel)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/fi...n/flashstopper/

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 4, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can Vivaldi block ads on mobile?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Firefox on mobile is working relatively fine on my aging Sony Z3 Compact, no crashes but some jerks and slowdowns now and then. I'll stick with it on both platforms until the ship is actually under water, due to adblock and tab/bookmark sync. I guess there are other ways to sync stuff between devices, but I like to keep my stuff in as few sinking ships as possible.

Firefox is the worst browser suite, apart from the others I've tried.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vord posted:

Is there an addon or way to blacklist certain websites from redirecting to their mobile versions on firefox mobile?

You can just select Request Desktop Site from the menu, I think it sticks.

E: beaten and it doesn't stick

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 19, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No.1 Special posted:

I had to manually install the 53.0 update this time for some reason. Anyone else have this issue?

I got prompted to update to 52.0.2esr, which failed with "patch apply failed", very useful message. I then closed, restarted Firefox as administrator, checked "about" and updated to 53.0 just fine. Closed and opened again.

Maybe it was some folder permission thing cause by a wrongly configured installer, which I forced through by starting as administrator.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ArcaneMan posted:

Any suggestions?

You can try hardware accel and webgl on/off: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...re-acceleration And you can try reinstalling gfx drivers. It's kind of mysterious why Maps 3D fails sometimes, one of the reasons I switched to Firefox was that it hadn't worked in Chrome (!) for a year or so.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did 53.0.2 come with a performance boost or is it just patch placebo? Everything just seemed a bit snappier after the last update, like zooming GMaps 3D. Even the GIF thread scrolled smoothly for a full page, but started eating poo poo on the next. Still, it seems to be eating poo poo more smoothly than before.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I tried viewing the GIF thread in Edge. Wow, had no idea GIFs could be so smooth! Everything loaded fast, scrolled and animated perfectly. gently caress.

In more related matters, something weird is going on. Every now and then, what looks like a popup or a command line window opens and closes, too fast to see any detail. The open/close animation seems to be emanating from the Firefox taskbar icon, it could be a Firefox or addon process. Or it could be Putin. Anyone else see this?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks guys, that's exactly it!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Weird. I've linked this jpg directly:

What do you get when you right click - copy image location?

I get http://i.imgur.com/jmEMlxl.jpg (manually deleted automatic img tags)

Could be a feature, not a bug in some addon. But perhaps it's related to a thing I've noticed with imgur. If I've uploaded an image and I do right click - copy image location before the pic has finished loading on the post page, the link I copy is blob:somegibberishuuidcode. Perhaps it hasn't quite finished loading for some reason when you right click it, an adblock addon or similar might be messing with it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

Is there a reasonable hope of somebody making a forked version that's kept updated enough with critical security patches? Or is FF just too complex at this point for any hobby project to really maintain a fork?

If not I guess I'll have to see how Vivaldi is coming along.

"Definitely no" to the first question, even if "possibly not" is the answer to the second.

I recommend everyone to be disloyal to any particular browser and change every now and then to see what's what. All the important addons and features you are so reliant on are forgotten or replaced in two weeks anyway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone else having trouble pausing videos? Due to the bad morals of web design, I find myself constantly stopping videos I don't want to play. But it takes a few seconds for Firefox to actuate my click, it seems like it takes some time to load the video and the "play lovely things" component loads before "the ability to stop lovely thing". Could be that my laptop is growing long in the tooth, but still, should be possible.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pairofdimes posted:

You can also set media.autoplay.enabled to false in about :config.

It makes youtube a bit of a hassle, but worth a try. I hope all news web designers feel awful, history will judge them harshly.

e: it also breaks gifvs. Flashstopper is non-multiprocess as of yet and failed to stop quite a few videos. If autoplay=false can stop everything, a pretty simple addon should be able to filter some of the things.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 22, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

Mine says Compatible with Multiprocess?

quote:

Known issues:
* Isolated media elements will not stop (use media.autoplay.enabled = false)
Multiprocess incompatible (there is an e10s version in the dev channel)

On this site for instance:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...suit/415874001/

Neither default settings nor proactive blocking stops the video. But it says my multiprocess is still enabled after install/restart so perhaps the addon is broken by it. I did set force multiprocess at some point but undid all the settings I could find. The workaround of autoplay=false will obviously work without installing the addon. It looks like it makes autoplay=false work differently on youtube, the videos start with the replay icon activated instead of pause. Perhaps that's better. GIFs in the GIF thread work if you right-click and play, but that doesn't work on twitter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

I have the one from the dev channel, I guess. I don't really recall which addons I had to do that vs. which just updated themselves to e10s compatible.
It stops the video on that site for me, and I don't have proactive blocking on. When I enable session autoplay for that site and refresh, it starts autoplaying, so I think that confirms that it's not being stopped by something else. I'm not really sure how to explain why it's working for me but not you, sorry. I guess try the dev channel version? I'm on FF 53.0.2.

You getting different results from me is good news though. I can wait until it's released.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

xamphear posted:

Should we change the title or something to warn people?

Firefox 57 and beyond (check out Opera or Chrome)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spog posted:

My FF chokes on SA threads with lots of embedded gifs of stupid file sizes or embedded video:

e.g. https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...er=584#lastpost

Is there any add-on that will let me block elements that are over a certain size?

You can test if this post:

dont be mean to me posted:

Unless your video card is literally too old to run a current OS, it's the GIFs. Nothing accelerates their rendering.

is correct by opening the same page in Edge. I get a massive performance boost on GIFs in Edge. Which is probably the wrong way to phrase it, it's like saying you get a massive performance boost while running hurdles if you don't use anvils for shoes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alereon posted:

Maybe we don't need to relitigate the great HTML5 codec war of 2011 in this thread.

I am ignorant of that particular piece of forum history, therefore I am doomed to repeat it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mike12345 posted:

afaik the ads are integrated in the stream now, so there's no discerning.

An ominous look into the near future of youtube.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Has anyone had trouble with Gmail javascript lagging the hell out of Firefox lately? Never used to happen, doesn't happen on any other browser from what I can tell.

Nope, and I have it open all day. Anything in particular to provoke it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Variables I have that might possibly save me from a bug: Ublock Origin (which perhaps most people itt have) and signed out of hangouts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The installers for Firefox 32 and 64 bit on Windows are 10MB smaller for 55 than 54. What happened there?

There was a huge, hidden .bmp of this

which got removed. Pretty good move IMO.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Harik posted:

There must be a better way to do it - any suggestions?

No, gently caress it, blast open a million tabs, never apologize. It's like having a few books open on your desk or different sections of the paper. Make a mess and then clear it away.

I don't get this thing that you have to manage your tabs, as if the ideal browser state is your top six always open plus a careful little holiday browsing in a temporary one. I scroll down a news front page, open articles I want to read in seven new tabs, then forget about them for an hour or so. Now, the longest I can concentrate on any given task, work or play, is around 45 seconds, a minute tops if under a serious deadline. But I feel SO ALIIIIIVE

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Harik posted:

"yes".

Trying to find a better way to handle what are basically short-term bookmarks.

You start out somewhat serious but end up sarcastic. Bookmarking physical reference material has always been super common and not at all ADD - saves you from having to keep looking the same things up over and over. You just can't hold that much in your head all at once, so leave it to the paper/computer and get it as needed.

The workflow that I'm trying to approach is to be able to snip just the thing I care about out of the webpage (generally argument order for an API or a data structure) and put it on one mega-reference page that I can just search through. It just sucks to paste formatting when everything is in CSS, so it ends up a jumbled mess that it takes too long to clean up to make it worth doing.

So I end up with tabs full of things like std::map::emplace and AsyncHTTP in java and python lambda syntax and datasheets for 2-3 embedded parts and 4 board schematics. Unlike news/social media, none of that is clamoring for your attention, it's passively waiting for you to need it again.

Being a full-stack Internet of poo poo dev sucks when you have to keep every piece of it in your head at once all the time.

Yes I did joke a bit, sorry for not taking you more seriously. I think what you want might not exist outside tab state savers and bookmark organizers, but it might be a good product idea, a browser plugin or something. You want to bookmark something, not just a page but a specific piece of a page, store it somewhere it's easy to find again (indexed, hierarchical, relations, etc) and then possibly guard against link rot. Or maybe that's a longer term thing, is a shorter term thing would be displaying fragments of different pages in some lovely fan or tree shaped bit of GUI magic. The core of the thing is the information relations you build to suit your own purpose. Might be interesting to make. I'm studying programming now, maybe it's a good subject to work on.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Right, this is in my About Nightly info box:

Please tell me I've not contracted digital gonorrhoea

No, it's ok, you've just got digital cataracts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm actually a happy non-complaining camper at the moment. On 55.0.3, Ublock and Flashstopper making the internet a nice place, bookmarks and tabs syncing ok to mobile*, multiprocess disabled due to addons but I don't notice any performance drop, running a fairly new laptop. Maybe it will all come crashing down in a few months, but I can change then.

* tab sync is often slow to update and needs to be forced. It doesn't matter that much as I don't want to drag my entire session over, just keep reading an article while changing device or something like that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

But can't that command line app be rewritten as a browser extension?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Why would they want to rewrite it when it already works really well?

If you are nitpicking the word "rewrite", let me rephrase as "why not make it work as a browser plugin instead of a command line tool?". If it's a variant of "but the command line is cool", then why use a browser at all? Just curl everything and grep for what you want.

I suppose the answer could be that browser plugins have limited API access which the external application haven't.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Right, extensions. I think javascript addon things used to be called plugins at some point, it stuck. Anyway, the original question wasn't if you could grab a video with an extension, obviously you can, but I guess they aren't maintained by the same level of enthusiasts as youtube-dl.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nalin posted:

Honestly, losing the "show threads with new posts first in the bookmark list" is going to be the one thing that will make me cry.

If you bookmark threads, that's exactly what shows up here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php

I'm sure SALR does some stuff that the forum doesn't, but the forum does do the basics.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

lightinwater posted:

I'll enter my probably unanswerable given the scope of this thread question to hasten its demise then; is there any reason that login details will not sync to my phone install? I've tried repeated re-installs and different versions/betas. Everything else seems to sync fine and it all shows up on the account page but bugger me if i can get it to work

Is logins checked in this menu? (click hamburger menu -> account name)

It's a bit of a dick at remembering settings it seems. I have been trying to check "bookmark" a few times now, but it keeps unchecking itself.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Reached 5 GB the other day. Not sure which page caused it, but ad block fighting against an ad script can cause runawas like that I suppose. Another problem has (re)appeared on 56.0.2 for me. After a while, with many tabs open, the browser starts locking up for half a second every 10-ish seconds. It's particularly noticable when you're mid scroll. Apparently it has something to do with tab state saving and writing that info to disk. I use undo close tab a lot, so I don't want to disable it, but it's really annoying nonetheless. Maybe because I'm running single process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For me, it's rock solid, smooth and fast. There are GUI quirks, but that's just habit. The only addon I lost was Flashstopper, which will annoy me as soon as I click a news link and some retarded non-content "engagement" fluff starts autoplaying. Perhaps time to try writing my own addon sooner or later. How hard can it be.