Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

axeil posted:

Mozilla really, really, really trying to get me to abandon them even after I've been using their browser since before it was called Firefox.

Uncheck it, and their attempt will be in vain.

I also unchecked highlights, and checked show two rows under top sites. Looks fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not sure that a couple of teeny tiny icons in a massive sea of empty space is "fine".

Fortunately you can about :config to add more than just 2 rows of bookmarks to that page so it doesn't look as dumb.

Making the icons big enough to fill the screen makes it look like a child's play telephone. Filling it with tons of buttons defeats the purpose of a quick overview of "most visited". Resolution and OS scaling might make the sea of empty bigger, looks fine and airy on my 1920x1080, 125%

See also:

Ola posted:

There are GUI quirks, but that's just habit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

axeil posted:

That's not the point.

The point is they shouldn't be including poo poo like that in here.

I too wish software didn't include stupid poo poo. I once installed the Ask Toolbar on accident for crying out loud. But as a civilization, we are far past the point where any software doesn't. Stupid poo poo in software is like traffic jams or HR meetings, appreciate the moments when you can swiftly and quietly opt out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I find it uses less CPU and perhaps less memory. Haven't stress tested it, but definitely notice the slowdowns I used to get (caused by tab state saving to disk making GBS threads itself after x amount of tabs) are gone. But one thing I have noticed, also with Chrome, is that an ad blocker will sometimes fight an ad, the ad script keeps trying to relaunch an ad when it gets blocked. This causes loads of CPU use. You can really poo poo up your browser with some unfortunate javascript, as I noticed when I tried writing some javascript.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Trip report from the GIF thread. Actually perfectly navigable. It would totally poo poo itself on the second page before, Chrome would too for me. Blocked autoplay gifvs make it no sweat of course, but even autoplay enabled is fine, although the gifvs struggle a bit with loading and playing back completely all at the same time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Desuwa posted:

Amazingly Firefox 57 still doesn't deliver a smooth scrolling experience. This is just loving pathetic, it's really no better than 52 ESR.

Resource usage was fine, both CPU and GPU were idle and memory usage was low, but I noticed that scrolling was hitching a little. Just on regular plain sites like SA or stackoverflow. I don't have a lot of extensions because a lot of extensions just don't work anymore.

Is it a little hitch every now and then while you are scrolling or constant, like every tick of the scroll wheel? I had problems with sessionstore write causing lag every 10 seconds or so, scroll or any other input would stop. No longer a problem on 57, but that might be a coincidence. If this is the case, you can search for sessionstore in about :config, disable it and see if it makes a difference. Not sure if there's a way to fix it, tab undo and session recovery is pretty useful after all. My problem just went away with the upgrade.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Desuwa posted:

If I notice it again maybe I'll play with sessionstore settings but I wouldn't expect a restart to fix it if that was the problem.

That's exactly what it did for me. When the session got big enough (no. of tabs both open and undoable, content heavy seemed to matter as well) I think there was something inefficient by the way the session was saved, so it glitched the browser every time it was saved. When I closed all and reopened the same tabs, the glitching was gone.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FRINGE posted:

I never see more than 2GB on old-firefox with a staggering amount of tabs split between several open instances.

Maybe you caught a coin-mining bug or something?

32-bit edition? It can't use more than 2GB. Using a lot of memory isn't a bad thing in itself. You've paid for the RAM, why not use it? Right now I have three tabs open, SA, FB and a New Yorker article. Firefox is using 1GB over 6 processes. Is that a problem? A lot of the perceived "bloat" in memory use (this goes for all browsers) is just the developers responding to the desire for faster page loads by keeping more stuff in memory, history, closed tabs, addons, media playback resources etc etc. If something else needs to use more than my ~5 GB of free RAM, then the OS and the apps together will figure out how. If the performance is generally snappy and nothing is maxed out, there's isn't really a problem. If it bogs down on something it normally can handle and CPU or RAM is maxed out, ok something might be wrong.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

if anyone in a position of power in web dev/policy gave a poo poo about page load times they'd stop stuffing every page with trackers and general bloat to the point where a text-only article measures multiple megabytes large

I meant browser developers. Web developers obviously despise quick page loads with mouth foaming fury, which is we all use addons to sabotage their work.

Faster performance has been a selling point of Firefox 57, but them actually commissioning a TV ad surprised me. How do they make money?

quote:

The company’s latest revenue numbers are from 2013 when the browser brought in $314 million, 97 percent of which came from royalties. These royalties refer to the percentage of advertising revenue Mozilla receives whenever someone uses the built-in search engine that the Firefox browser provides. Of Mozilla’s 2013 revenue, $275 million came from a single search engine. While the Mozilla Corporation doesn’t share the name of the company, it’s safe to assume that the money came from Google.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...-make-money.asp

Aha. I had no idea you could get royalties for serving up a search. Just a shame for the search engine provider that the ads are blocked.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ads slowing down or crashing the browser was the first reason I started using ad blockers, rather than them being visually annoying.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Google failed me, so I figured I'd ask here.

Is there a way to just flat out refuse site notifications? I'm never going to use the feature so I'd love to just auto click no or turn the feature off.

My Googling implies I can only turn off on a site-by-site basis.

I don't think you can switch it off, annoyingly. There are various booleans in about config called something with notification, but setting them to false does not disable the request.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Pretty sure it's dom.webnotifications.enabled.

This doesn't disable the permission query on my end. But perhaps it disables the actual notifications?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Geemer posted:

Have you restarted Firefox after switching it? For me it acts like permission is always denied. Then again I'm still on 56.0.2.

Yes, I've had it disabled for ages. Am on 57, but started trying to disable those a few versions ago. Here's the test site I'm using, does this not trigger the notification query for you? http://www.wallstreet-online.de/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Storm One posted:

dom.serviceworkers.enabled ?

Yeah, this worked for me. (but weirdly, not dom.webnotifications.serviceworker.enabled) Just worried about what else it disables. But knowing the current state of the web, any advanced browser feature is always used for something lovely.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lum posted:

Android version of 57.

If I do a google image search, open the full size image and then long press the image, what I want to do is be given an option to download that image. This happens about 10% of the time and the rest of the time the text copying prompts come up.

I haven't established any pattern to it, how can I reliably save images in this way?

It varies with what type of pic and if you're actually looking at just a pic or a page. Check the url to confirm. If it's an .svg, I get a prompt to "select all" if I'm viewing the full picture and "save as" etc if I'm viewing it in the GIS carousel. I find viewing pictures is a bit of a pain on any mobile browser. First there's the image carousels used on most sites that takes the old convention of "click for big version" and turns it into "click to make the small picture a bit smaller, but with a big black frame around". Then when you try to pinch zoom, you also zoom the other elements on the page, so suddenly a huge SUBSCRIBE TO OUR drat NEWSLETTER starts floating into the frame.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I got the two different responses on the same picture though.

Ok, I get consistent behaviour, at least as far as I've noticed. Maybe an accidental double tap or tapping at the edge made it do "select all"?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My password management system:

1. Persistent logins.
2. Password recovery functions.
3. A very strong password on my main email.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I can pinch zoom in Firefox Windows, unironically hope this helps.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Volguus posted:

I can't for the life of me understand the "million-tabs open" crowd. You don't even know (can't know) what's in there anymore. 90% of those tabs are opened for things that are no longer relevant or you found the solution to whatever problem you're having 6 months ago. Even with 8K resolution and only 100% scaling, the tab title is no longer visible, so finding something is impossible.
This is the only time when "you're holding it wrong" is a perfectly valid answer to any problem they may be having.

It's like a short term bookmark. When I scroll down a news site, I pop open the stories I want to read in new tabs. Then I might read two, before I get distracted, fall down a Wikipedia hole, open five tabs about Roman emperors, then I read another news story, open a TV tab to watch a show, which I listen to while reading about a Roman emperor, and so on and so forth. If I need to update the browser or reboot, I need about 45 minutes to complete my tabs. I'm not saying it's a great lifestyle, it's more of a syndrome, but at least my attention span is utterly hosed. What were we talking about again?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You know the web is in a sorry state when there is a complex ecosystem of content blocking.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One trick that sometimes works against those anti adblock things is Reader View, the little tablet icon on the right end of the URL bar.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thauros posted:

Can anyone recommend a good translation extension? I'm learning Spanish so I don't want an entire page translated but i'd love something that would allw me highlight and right click a word or passage I don't know and get a quick translation.

This is ok: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fi...n/imtranslator/

It starts out with way too many options, use it a while then you'll whittle away what you don't need.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've always disabled telemetry, feeling a bit dumb for being but I had a suspicion they would do something dumb sooner or later. Vindicated!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I leave sets of tabs open for days before I get around to reading them. Rarely have less than 6-7 open at any time. Some are paused youtube videos, some are content heavy in other ways. I restart my browser maybe once every two weeks. I have ublock, html 5 autoplay blocker and google translate plugins, which can sometimes cause problems, but for the most part my 8 gigs of RAM are 60-80% used and everything is ticking over very nicely. Don't think I've ever had such a stable, well running laptop and browsing experience.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/potch/status/973623749390905344

This notification blocker looks good. I haven't updated yet, but I wonder if my random config tweaks are blocking them already. Does anyone have a notification spamming site to suggest for testing?

e: Looks like the bastard is blocked already, hell yes. http://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 13, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Updated now and tested a bit, it blocks in both cases but it appears differently to the website.

https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html

With dom.webnotifications.enabled = false:

quote:

Notifications are not available for your browser.

With dom.webnotifications.enabled = true, it triggers a notification request as normal. If I then disable it in options - privacy - permissions - notifications, it gives a different message:

quote:

Permission to display: denied

I like that better, because hopefully it can show up in the server logs and the jerks that put all that effort into making notifications can realize people think it sucks and are actively blocking it, instead of just not being able to display it for whatever technical reason.

e: edited url

Ola fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 14, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

You should be using the secure version of that link to test.

https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html

Features like Notifications might get blocked over plaintext connections.

Woops, don't know why my pasted URL wasn't https. I seem to recall I was using it on https, because I looked on the permissions button and there was a green padlock next to it. Anyway, tested again, works the same.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know of a e: blank blanket way to block it, it seems to use the super simple API of "open website in", which it very likely has permissions to do since it is an installed addon. I think writing an email saying "could you please reconsider your practices" is more worthwhile than devising some clever way of blocking it. Which just about summarizes the entire state of the internet at the moment.

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 21, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fishmech posted:

I'm having an issue right now where uBlock Origin seems to have done some sort of broken update, and trying to update it again result sin it failing. So right now uBlock Origin isn't running for me at all. Anyone else have a similar problem/a fix for it?

Working fine for me, try uninstall?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Looks fine for me:

(Not this though:)

Perhaps try the Windows cleartype thing?

e: changed to png

Ola fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 22, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've got a small problem. Embedded images from Imgur, when you right click -> View Image the first time, will take you to the page the image is hosted on. But if you do it a second time, it will take you to the source.

I would rather it take me to the source the first time. In fact it used to do that before the big change a while back. How do I go about fixing this?

I think it depends on how it's embedded. It it's in img-tags on this forum, old school style, it will go straight to the image first time. But if it's using the imgur embed code, it's wrapped in javascript and the view image code doesn't have direct access to the image url in the same way. There are many sites that have similar things. There's no quick setting to make it work like you want, but it's probably possible to write a plugin or rewrite the view image code to find the image url.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There are imgur alternatives:

https://imgbb.com/

https://postimages.org/

Once those are run into the ground, some new ones will probably appear.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Seconding screenshot request. You should be able to select "Choose..." or a downward pointing arrow next to the folder drop down menu to see the full folder tree.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, just do this:

Ola posted:

select "Choose..." or a downward pointing arrow next to the folder drop down menu to see the full folder tree.

Only the last used folders, up to 5, will show up in the list where you have 3.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GUI posted:

What's a good way to save pages in Reader View format to my computer? Up to maybe a month ago I'd just go to File -> Save Page As, but as of recently whenever I open after saving them I just get a blank page like this:

Print - select printer - Microsoft print to PDF.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mike12345 posted:

I don't know why, but Firefox recently started messing with Windows' 7 suspend-to-disk function. I've got it set to automatically suspend after 30 minutes of inactivity. What happens now is that it will suspend, then immediately wake up again. After a couple of trial and errors, I've concluded that closing FF fixes suspend, it stays asleep.

What's making Firefox do this, I don't know.

Hmm, thanks for the heads up. My Win 10 suspend is very flaky. Sometimes it won't wake up without a hard reboot, sometimes it powers off. I thought it was chipset driver issues, but Firefox is almost always open, so perhaps it plays a part.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Milkman posted:

Anyone with more than a dozen tabs open is a monster.

I have a dozen right now, linear. Four are youtubes, one playing, three waiting to play. FB, Google Maps, Flightradar24 as well, all resource heavy. 10% CPU, 50% RAM. Barely a canter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Volguus posted:

Ok, I'll bite. I am not going to ask about FB, Google Maps and Flightradar. That's above my pay-grade. But 4 youtube? Listen to one then close the tab and start another? Or ... how does that work? Do you have an addon that does that for you? Why are the other youtubes waiting? And why aren't they in the same tab/page/playlist as the first one?

It's not like my regular setup or anything, it's just what happened to be open at the same time. When I look at the youtube front page, I might see a handful of recommended videos I'd like to see. So I ctrl-click them into new tabs where they stay paused until I view the tab (about :config, media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground = true). Might view them right away, might be a while. Who knows. If it's a long episode of something, it might sit there for days.
But if I click a video, view it and then go back, the recommended page is rebuilt with new suggestions. So I get used to doing this for related videos as well, since the 3-4 I want to see will not be in each other's related bar, and I don't want to keep going back. And I certainly don't want to create a saved playlist for random things I'll only view once and might even close after 10 seconds. If I work my way through them like Pacman from left to right, Ctrl-W will close the currently playing tab, and the next one will open and start playing by itself. It's fast, nice and good.

Flightradar and GMaps was open because I was looking at airliners really far away through my window and posting about it.

These discussions are funny. We have a shared thing we talk about for years but certain habits are naturally left out. Then when we discover others' habits like "WTF you do it how?!".

Ola fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If I only want to read the text and not use image galleries etc, I press the reader view button and save as PDF. On mobile at least. On my laptop the page usually just holds.