Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Firefox has lost it's magic for me. It keeps doing poo poo I don't want it to with an attitude of "welp if you don't like it either find an extension or deal with it", it's become buggy as hell and I think the love affair is over. I started way back in Firebird beta, so changing is really hard :(
Please elaborate further

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Has Mozilla explained why they made it look like Chrome besides a whole bunch of "design functionality" horseshit in that one video? And what's the deal with the infinite updates, did they just decide to change minor updates to whole new version numbers to encourage people to switch?
It follows the "Chrome numbering philosophy" but there are also major overhauls to the browser itself in each version

It allows for new features and bugfixes to be highlighted rather than subsumed by other changes, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bump your compatibility and install this.

Thanks for the tip

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

me your dad posted:

Thanks. I am apparently blind. I opened that control panel several times, looking for that exact thing. It was at the bottom of the panel and I had somehow overlooked them.

If it gets real wonky (and it might get really strange) you can have it restore defaults

Worst case scenario you're looking at backing up your bookmarks, places.sqlite, password files and starting a profile from scratch

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
drat it, my change tab mouse (wheel) gesture (right click + wheel) doesn't work in Waterfox...

Other than Pale Moon, what are other x64 builds?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

So wait. Mozilla isn't even going to include a MSI wrapper? I mean it's simple enough to make one, but I figured they would try to at least make Firefox easier to deploy.

You could try these:
http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=138033

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'd rather use Firefox than Chrome but Chrome still 'feels' about 50% faster at loading pages at this point.

The only things keeping me from adopting Chrome is my extensions (yeah, I know, it's tough on anyone that's a FF power user) and it just doesn't seem to "behave" well, like I would like it to :|

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Pooperscooper posted:

God drat, firefox updates way too often it kills work places.

Are you using extensions? I find the updates annoying for that reason, mostly

If that's the case, look for an extension called "Add-on Compatibility Reporter"

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

ryanbruce posted:

Hmm. Well, I disabled hardware acceleration in Flash and Youtube stopped sucking so until I figure out what's going on I'll just leave it alone.

Could you list your hardware and operating system?

I'd like more information on this flash HW acceleration doowacky? Is it in any way related to DXVA?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

ryanbruce posted:

E6300 (1.86GHz C2D)
Intel DG965WH
7950GT w/ Nvidia Drivers v285.62
6G BDDR2

Win7 x64

edit: I've had weird issues with VLC Player where I have to go into Device Manager and remove/re-add the Display adapter for video to play. It's annoying and happens every so often but since it's a nice excuse to finish building my i7 system I'm not spending a ton of time figuring it out.

The GeForce 7 series doesn't really possess DXVA, so video decoding will be done on your processor, maybe you still have the Direct2D acceleration, but I can't vouch for that

You can check what your video card does accelerate with a DXVA Checker: http://bluesky23.yu-nagi.com/en/#DXVAChecker

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

I love the new bug where Firefox hangs and you have to kill it if you try to switch between headphones and speakers as audio devices in Win 7. loving Mozilla. Why do I even use this poo poo browser.

Because you touch yourself at night? :iamafag:

On a more serious note: did you google this specific bug? It doesn't really appear, in my opinion, to be Firefox related. Try killing plugin-container.exe (you know, your flash container executable) and then switching between headphones and speakers and see what happens

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Just AdBlock and Firebug, disabled both and this didn't fix it. I don't know how to make a new profile and frankly I'm done spending time on this issue, but thanks anyway.

If you come back to the thread, please tell us more about this particular problem, I actually enjoy a challenge

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

pseudorandom name posted:

Cursor vanishing is just Flash being terrible.

I keep getting this from time to time. Goddamn flash is a pox upon mankind

Question Mark Mound posted:

If anyone can recommend good extensions for those, or anything else you think I'll find useful, that'd be awesome! :)

Adblock Plus - it's a given
https://www.mousegestures.org - my favorite mouse gestures extension (install the nightly)

A piece of advice that was useful to me: mind your extensions. Really only get what you need. Extensions are awesome but getting carried away and having a profile filled to the brim with extensions, especially some that are only used from time to time, can slow down your browser all the time.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

pseudorandom name posted:

Ctrl+ and Ctrl-

or Ctrl + MouseWheel

Scrolling up zooms in, scrolling down zooms out

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

HalloKitty posted:

I could swear I tried this at one time, but maybe I was just used to ending scrolling with a flick of the wheel so much that that's what I wanted. Either way, it's not really important to most, and I understand the complaint looks pretty ridiculous

Does AIO gestures support wheel gestures? (i.e. holding RMB and scolling switches tabs)

I love MOuse Gestures Redox but the developer's always threatening to abandon it :(

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Disgustipated posted:

If you think that's awesome, check this out: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/context-search/

I used to use DictionarySearch to add custom searches in the context menu

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

butts! posted:

Plus, it just looks cool.

This cannot be emphasized enough

And seeing the document structure represent in 3 dimensions is also a great tool :shobon:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

ICA posted:

I have an issue.

I usually don't have this type of problemn but for some reason I've got Babylon search installed on my Firefox. How the eff do I remove this? Had a fiddle about in settings and changed my search to no avail.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions and find the folder that contains the Babylon extension and delete it, there might also be a registry key but I don't recall at the moment where it is

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Toast Museum posted:

If you want to avoid the new tab page entirely, go to about :config and set browser.newtab.url to about :blank.

Or set browser.newtabpage.enabled to false :science:

YggiDee posted:

Go to Options > Advanced, uncheck smooth scrolling.

And this (or general.smoothScroll in about :config) since the new scrolling sucks :saddowns:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Lord of Sword posted:

It's the thing I use Mouse Gestures for most. It's surprisingly useful, especially the hide image feature (threads with a lot of images, huge sigs, the goatman etc). I can do without it, I just can't get used to not having it on other PCs, and 3.6 works fine otherwise.

Image Zoom looks like the next best thing though so I should probably upgrade to 13.

Mouse Gestures rock and is kind among gesture extensions

It is known

It is loving sad that the author is abandoning it (I wish someone else would take on the project)

Anyway, here's a version you can use on FF13 (it's the latest nightly beta): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21541480/mozgest.xpi

Protip: when you backup your Firefox profile you can create a backup of your extensions by zipping the contents of the folder and renaming the extension to .xpi

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
How does Aurora play with extensions? I wouldn't be able to live without my precious mouse gestures :ohdear:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

lovely Treat posted:

Edit: never mind it was https everywhere hijacking it.

Hijacking what? I use HTTPS Everywhere and would like to know what happened

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

WattsvilleBlues posted:

it's more likely to contain fixes to the recent spate of Flash bullshit.

I used to think so, nowadays I just think to myself "don't hold your breath"

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
I can also confirm flash not working properly after the update

I'm on FF 16 beta

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Is there any way to "force" Firefox to cache [only] thumbnails for encrypted websites? My new tab page looks like a mouth missing teeth :(

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Hollow Hills posted:

After a year of flash video being hosed up for me (creating separate windows / not covering the taskbar anymore, etc) I finally realized what was causing it: Window's personalized display, anything over 125% (was using 140% on an HTPC setup) would cause all the problems, scaled it all the way down to 126% and still caused it, put it to 125% and fixes everything.

Weird.

Windows can screw with flash

My dad has a lot of problems on his computer with flash, especially viewing videos in fullscreen, and they're due in great to the fact that he has Windows zoom on text because of his bad eyesight

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

WastedJoker posted:

What's the name of that tool which removes unwanted locales info from your extensions?

It was two .exe files (one for 7zip.exe, or something) which you placed in your extensions folder and it went through your extensions, unzipping them to remove the locales then re-zipping them.

I've been googling for this thing for ages :( I first came across it on a korean website. The exe. name is something like hotfixest.exer or something. My memory lets me down again.

If you don't find it you can use Notepad++ to remove it by hand or (on Windows XP) use InfoRapid Search & Replace

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Just installed a new version of flash... time to see what level of fuckery they achieved this time

I tried Chrome but I found that: 1. I'm addicted to my extensions; 2. I find Chrome's "behaviour" bad.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Hogburto posted:

I have 34 extensions and as many tabs (TreeStyleTabs makes it manageable) and I'm only on an AMD E-350. Slowdowns are exceedingly rare and I haven't crashed since 19.0.0 (which was crashing constantly on me... or maybe it was 18, whatever).
Although I imagine the extensions AdBlock and NoScript should count for performance, rather than against.

Any performance tips?

I'm on an E-350 (W7HPx64 4GB) as well and sometimes it will hang forever, though I think it's the hard drive that's hella slow

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

xamphear posted:

I stopped using downloadstatusbar once they moved the downloads into that little toolbar icon dropdown thingie.

Me too!

They were finally able to modernize download (still hate the downloads window though)

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Avenging Dentist posted:

You should be able to get at all of your extensions from your profile folder, and the old one is helpfully copied to your desktop when you run Reset Firefox:

That said, I didn't actually try this to confirm it.

This happens, I can confirm it
It's a good way to recover extensions that aren't actively being developed anymore, like Mouse Gestures Redox :smith:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Anyone know of a good boss key addon? "HideTab" is the only one I could find that works like it should (just hides tabs, doesn't close them, so they're easy to restore): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hidetab/?src=search

Unfortunately it also adds a bunch of ugly, unnecessary context menu entries that can't be disabled in the extension options, and the only context menu editor extension I could find appears to be outdated & broken :unsmigghh:

You can use Ctrl + 'tilde' to switch tab groups ;)

You could use a shortcut manager instead

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Gerudo Rivera posted:

No, because when you do that, you're creating a single, endless session. I usually don't want my previous tabs to open the next time I start the browser. On occasions that I do want to access a particular group later, though, it would be great if the built-in tab group function could preserve those groups with a little more permanence. Yes, you can "bookmark all tabs", but that's just another awkward workaround that would be much simpler to accomplish with a simple loving "save tabgroup" function.

If they want to talk about streamlining browser design, start by making common actions like this more accessible, not saying "well hey you can kind of do this already if you jump through enough hoops". Because that's a surefire way to make users ignore a feature, as happened with panorama view. Grandma doesn't want to jump through hoops, she still needs that hip replacement you little punk

I tab the pages which I want to have (some) perpetuity and I really like your idea of a group that has its session saved

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

eightysixed posted:

Yea, like I said, IE does change the network settings for the whole system, which is ridiculous. Also, I don't see Authentication fields for SOCKS5 on Opera or Chrome either :confused:

Have you tried an addon such as FireProxy?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Aquila posted:

Is there a way to switch the library for downloads back to the old thing I had before it? This is just not good and makes me wonder why they took something completely functional and made it worse.

Seriously? Are you sure you're using it right?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

wooger posted:

Try going into the plugin options in Chrome and disabling the built-in flash PPAPI plugin, then try playing the same videos you're having problems with. If the still stutter, it's the flash plugin's fault.

I'd wager it's flash's fault, it's such a terrible plugin

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Something to lighten adblock a bit... if it's AdBlock Plus, you can disable non-intrusive advertising so I doesn't load a bunch of white-listed ads

Also: maybe redundant filters take more time so subscribing to multiple lists might slow down some

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

/bin/laden posted:

You can control which profile starts without using the profile manager by creating a firefox shortcut with -P ProfileName added.

And even selecting to always ask for profile when it launches

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
drat you, FF 23

I know about mixed content, you should, at the very least, offer me a white-list option

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
drat it, Panorama is so addictive useful

I hope the update installation detects people who uses it and offers to install the add-on during the installation

That would rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Disgustipated posted:

That is by design. It won't show a preview of any https site.

I know this but is there any way to override it?