Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

todesschaf posted:

Please repeat after me: Firefox Sync is NOT a backup service.

Let me say that again. Firefox Sync is NOT a backup service. If you lose the key and don't have another already-connected device around, there is quite literally NO way to recover your data. Again, that is NOT a backup service.

Note, this is likely to change at some point in the future, but I really don't know the timeline on that.

Sorry, my bad, I know they said in the bug for Sync that if they called it "Not the Firefox backup service" people would still call it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

Firefox now has a "Reset Firefox" button that builds a new profile and then reimports your data, fixing Firefox problems without a laborious troubleshooting process. You can access it by going to Firefox, Help, Troubleshooting Information, then clicking the "Reset Firefox" button in the upper right.

So what does this actually reimport? I'm assuming it does passwords, bookmarks and settings, but does it restore all your extensions, their settings, and any about :config changes?

I realise extensions and about :config changes are the problem half the time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

wooger posted:

This is what the tab key's for damnit. No need to touch the arrows.

Also, I occasionally want to load the actual URL I typed rather than a match from my history.

This lands in Firefox 14 I believe. I may be mistaken.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

wooger posted:

Not sure what you mean, I've been using the tab key like this since before Firefox was called Firefox.

Sorry, I meant this bit lands in Firefox 14:

wooger posted:

I occasionally want to load the actual URL I typed rather than a match from my history.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Still not clear about what you mean, I can type an url and load it instead of any match in my history just fine by pressing enter after typing. That has been default behaviour forever. That's why Schizophrenic Orb needs an addon to do it differently.

Is something going to change about that in FF14 or something?

They're sticking in inline autocomplete for URLs, which is what I thought was meant. Sorry.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh, now I see how that's related. I was just worried they'd make entering or editing an url manually more difficult.

So, if I'm seeing this right, that's mostly a cosmetic change then?

If you've visited a site before, it autocompletes the URL you type in the address bar, and doesn't just provide results from your bookmarks and history. A small but nice incremental change.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

This:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

The Snappy blog has a post today detailing some of the recent changes in Firefox 15 that improve responsiveness. It looks like, barring backouts, this will be one of the most important releases since Firefox 7.

I've been using Aurora for a good while - version 14, the current version (until later this week, anyway), is pretty nice regarding UI responsiveness. With a few minor about :config tweaks, Firefox runs pretty nice these days.

If you're like me and like to restore the tabs from previous sessions, try adding the following as an integer value and set it to 0 - browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs

Basically, when you restore a session, it only loads one previously-used tab - the rest are in the background but they only use the cached page title. They load when you click on them individually.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

How does that differ from the default behavior (browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand = true), which only loads the active tab and loads the rest when you click on them?

Looks like it doesn't - it appears the tweak I was using was an older variant of the same thing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ryokurin posted:

I'm curious what tweaks you are using, just in case one is something interesting.

Aside from the previous tweak I mentioned, I generally only use the following in about :config:

plugins.click_to_play - true (I think this is an option from Firefox 14 onwards) Anything like Flash, Java, Silverlight etc. shows up in a greyed-out box and needs clicked to be activated. Can have security benefits as there's less background stuff to get you into trouble, and you can also save preferences on a site-by-site basis. You also avoid a lot of annoying stuff that some sites like to throw in your face with flash, and you gain speed by not loading it all by default.

mousewheel.acceleration.start - 3 - when you scroll up or down the page 3 times (or whatever number you specify), the scroll speed increases by the amount in the next tweak

mousewheel.acceleration.factor - 7 - faster page scrolling, higher numbers in this value = faster.

I also have a userChrome.css file with this in it: #identity-icon-labels label { font-weight: bold !important; font-size: 80% !important;}

All that does is change the font in the site identity block...

but that's getting into sperg territory.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

Not sure about the current release version of Firefox, but the nightlies have a small button in the upper right that hides the thumbnails. Click it and it sets browser.newtabpage.enabled to false and you're basically left with about :blank.

Site preview thumbnails are busted for me too, but since I don't actually want to use the feature, I don't care to look into why.

If you click the page links in the New Tab page and let them load fully, the next time you open the New Tab page it should have the thumbnails there. They seem to get cleared with the cache though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

Please tell me more about the icons between the Aurora button and the tabs. It looks like a g-mail pinned tab? I tried pinning g-mail, but mine doesn't show the unread message count. Also, what are the silver square with the asterisk in the middle, and the green circle?

The silver square with the asterix in the middle is the LastPass button, which defaults to a red square with a white asterix, but I just changed the settings to make it more subdued and less likely to clash and confuse with the WoT icon if it ever goes red.

Flagrama posted:

In gmail, if you go to Settings > Labs there should be one called "Unread message icon" just enable it.

This is the method I used.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 8, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is anyone finding Aurora 15 extremely slow on Windows 7 x64? Version 14 flew for me; I upgraded to 15 yesterday and rest the profile, and reimported all my extensions, but it's choking at the minute. Something to do with the new add-on memory management maybe?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

I have definitely noticed a slowdown over the builds in the last month or so. It's either a regression they'll sort out eventually, or as you suggested, an add-on conflicting with some new feature. I tend to think it's the latter, as if I disable ABP, it starts going really fast again. But I'd rather have the browser lock up occasionally than deal with ads.

Just came back to update on this and noticed you too had problems related to Adblock Plus. That particular add-on seems to be the culprit - removing it has everything performing well.

I am, however, shocked to my core to see the horrendous level that advertising has risen to recently. I haven't looked at the web properly without ABP in about 5 years. It's like being in Tokyo or something. How anyone with epilepsy uses the web, I don't know.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone using Aurora as of yesterday (version 15), try installing the development build of Adblock Plus. Aurora now runs smoothly and I haven't come across any problems since changing to this build.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Xander77 posted:

How do I get firefox to reload all the tabs when it restarts? It gives the appearance of reloading everything, but then (an hour or so later) you click through the tabs and only that reminds firefox to load the actual tab content.

Options (or Preferences, depending on platform)>Tabs>Don't load tabs until selected. The behaviour you're describing doesn't mean Firefox is "forgetting" to load the tabs - it's a way to keep memory use down and improve startup speed when resuming a session.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Is that tool-options-tabs, because this is all I've got there:

What version of Firefox are you using?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

I'm getting this on both of my computers. I'm trying to find other reports of this bug, but I'm mostly finding complaints about Flash not working at all.

Seems to happen when hardware acceleration is in use. Clear that option in Advanced settings and I don't get the tearing effect.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

Is there a way to disable acceleration for Flash but keep it for HTML5?
I'm not sure about that, though it would be handy. For some reason I don't seem to get the Flash tearing issue on Windows 8 Release Preview even with hardware acceleration enabled.

Colonel Sanders posted:

Also, I noticed a few other oddities with flash. If I left tabs open with flash ads, after a while when I would come back to those tabs and all the flash ads would have the sad face "flash crashed". Another oddity was every once in a while when I would loading a link the browser would hang for a few seconds and a popup would alert me that Flash had crashed, I click cancel and the page would load but all flash ads on the page would have the sad face "flash is broke". Considering I only noticed the last two bugs with advertisements, I kinda liked those bugs. :) *since the last two items don't occur very often, I don't yet know if they are still present or not.
Firefox has Flash (and possibly other plugins) set to "crash" status if they hang for 45 seconds or more.

Have you tried the usual troubleshooting of resetting your profile? Other sources of woe may be heavy-handed anti-virus or anti-malware programs running in the background, or a low-spec computer. But I'm grasping at straws here.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Navaash posted:

Stubbornness.

I just upgraded to 13 because I had been still using 3 (not broken don't fix it) until I was out of nowhere getting repeated error reports upon closing Firefox which annoyed me (broken FIX IT). The menu bar is off-color now from the rest of the window but I'll live.

This incidentally happened after my first-ever serious crash with this computer that I built last August, with Diablo 3 going off the deep end and causing a looping-sound freeze. I was still able to alt-tab out of the game and close it, though (since I habitually run games in fullscreen windowed) after which the trouble cropped up.

edit: Okay it's doing it again with Aero on. Awesome.

edit: The computer was randomly taking the theme out of Aero for some reason. I've restarted the computer and will see if it sticks.

Also, do a clean reinstall your latest video card drivers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is anyone using Aurora 15 on Windows 8 Release Preview? The font rendering keeps changing from sharp to blurry, and sometimes flickers. I've tried a few gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode tweaks but I can't find the right number.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flash update is out that resolves the recent tearing/crashing issues. For me anyway.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

pipes! posted:

Is there a way to permanently disable the Add-on Bar? I'm sick of installing an Add-on, then having it corrupt my profile, permanently showing up with new windows and having to close each instance manually ever time.

I'm synching Add-ons between three machines, if that helps any.

There's an X button on the add-on bar itself. Click it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

pipes! posted:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but the trouble the close only works until a new window is spawned.

You might want to go through each of your extensions' preferences and have a look to see if it's specified that it wants an icon in the add-on bar. Also, if go into the Customise Toolbar options, try dragging the offending extension icons off the add-ons bar into the Customise Toolbar box.

These are just suggestions - I don't have the problem you're describing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

kapalama posted:

3.6.4 is though.

The only logic is which changing UI elements which are functional, for simply design reasons is the logic the says computers are toys not tools.

There is a reason why Apple is such an admired company. When they make design changes they are thought of in terms of function, first and foremost, and then they make them sexy.

Mozilla has made layout changes in Firefox for no particular reason, which is silly. Not to mention adding favicons into the bookmarks menu is a step backwards in any book. The browser took a quick trip back to GeoCities to say hi it looks like.

It's worth thinking about why FIrefox is losing market share. They keep making non-functional design changes without fixing the memory leaks which have plagued FF forever, and without fixing security holes. Security holes are fixed when the products flaws are fixed not when a new product is put out in its place with its own set of security flaws.

That's why Apple overtook MS in market cap, because Vista was a slow pile of 'eye candy'. Function has to matter over form, especially for a browser.

I have to chip in here because most of this is a big pile of bollocks.

1. Apple's design choices are often form over function. The hockey puck mouse, the lack of hardware volume controls on the 1st gen iPod touch, the iPod shuffle with no buttons at all... I don't want to derail (even bringing Apple into the discussion is stupid in the first place - IMO) but attributing Apple's success to this is nonsense.
2..Firefox 3.6.28 is the last release of the 3.6 era to have security updates, not 3.6.4.
3. Since last summer, Mozilla has had an ongoing "MemShrink" project whose purpose is to reduce Firefox memory leaks. Firefox often now comes in with lowest memory usage of all major browsers.
4. Mozilla has a good record on fixing security holes, sometimes within 24 hours if they are known to be actively exploited.
5. Vista responsible for Apple's market cap? :psyboom:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

jink posted:

I agree with your statements on the default Firefox theme, it needs a little bit of deviation on OSX. When is Australis landing?

Australis has been landing on the release channel in dribs and drabs for the past few releases. The conditional forward button is one example, though more stuff has been done on the Windows side. As for the rest of the theme, I think they're hoping to have it done by Firefox 7.

Honestly. The original mockups are 10 months old. Taking this length of time to land theme changes cracks me up.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Firefox's Aurora site says the latest one is 13.0.1 but that's the same version on the release channel. Is there somewhere else I should be looking for 15 (if that's out yet as Aurora) or is that it?

Not sure what page you're looking at but here's the right one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

jink posted:

15a2 is about to release into BETA on the 17th: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

It is pretty stable for me... much more responsive and the memory usage is dramatically lower due to the discussion above about zombie compartments. This is finally feeling like an improved Firefox for my problems I was having above.

Did you reset the profile when you updated? For some reason, upgrading to 15 really hosed my performance on a fairly new profile. Resetting and installing all extensions etc. helped and it's been great since.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

298298 posted:

The problem I was having (and someone else probably) was definitely flash, uninstalled it and downloaded an older version that was two months old and it's working fine now.

I'd already uninstalled and reinstalled the latest before and it kept screwing up, so must be something with the current one.

Until the lovely Flash problems get fixed properly, I'd advise yo to install Flashblock. It stops Flash elements loading until you click the "play" button, so you should be protected from any drive-by Flash vulnerabilities, at least until you activate the plugin.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Honestly, even with the update process the way it stands on the release channel (Aurora seem to have actual silent updates), is it really that much bother for people to click a single button to update Firefox once or twice every 6 weeks?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've talked about this before, but didn't really get a definite answer. Since the subject is updating now, I'll try again.

I was logged on as a normal user when I installed Firefox. It asked me for administrator credentials, so I gave them. It installed in Program Files (as I would expect it to).

I continue using my computer as a normal user. I am not notified of available updates (over a period of several months). When I go to "About Firefox...", it gives me a button to Apply Updates. Clicking this, restarts the browser, but does nothing else.

I know how to work around this. Either log on as administrator and click Apply Updates, or download the installer from the website and run that (so it will ask for administrator credentials again). I think that I can even run that installer without giving those credentials and it will install in my user profile (?), solving the problem once and for all. I'll try that one day, if I can be bothered.

What I don't get is this: Why don't I get notified of available updates? Why doesn't the updater just ask for those credentials again (Other programs, like Skype, do this)? Why don't I even get a notification that updating failed after a manual try? Is this expected behaviour? Is this an edge case scenario, and if so, how? Is there something uncommon or moronic in the way I do all that, that other people don't?

Or is it just probably broken in my specific case?

I hope someone can help make sense of this, because (apparently) I'm not getting it.

EDIT: My settings are to update automatically, to warn when it would disable addons and to use a background service to do it.

I had a similar problem about a year ago, where the updates would download but would not for the life of me "apply".

As with most Firefox problems, creating a new profile fixed the issue quicker than trying to track down and resolve the issue . Every few months I make a make a note of my installed extensions, make a new profile and reimport all my bookmarks and settings, then install all my extensions again. I rarely have any issue with Firefox that a new profile doesn't sort out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I forgot about this, even though I used it about 3 days ago. For some reason, sometimes the Reset Firefox button isn't there though.

Flipperwaldt, further to your issue, there used to be an "update" folder either in the Program Files folder (assuming you're running in Windows) or in the profile folder. Deleting that sorted my update problem out once, but I'm not sure if that still gets created during an update. Have a gander.

Oh yeah, is anyone on Windows 8 with Aurora at the moment? The fonts keep getting rendered differently, shifting between normal and blurry bold.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 11, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Adobe haven't so much dropped the ball, but thrown it away. They clearly don't test their software.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dice Dice Baby posted:

How does Aurora play with extensions? I wouldn't be able to live without my precious mouse gestures :ohdear:

I use FireGestures without issue.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

For some reason Firefox 14's new theme makes me feel like the font rendering used in tab titles sucks.

It's been a while since I've used Firefox 14, what changed from 13 theme-wise?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dodoman posted:

Anyone else on Aurora 16? I can't seem to get the new theme to work (if it has been implemented). I do, however, have the new download icon next to the search bar which is very sexy. May finally let me stop using download statusbar.

The new theme (curved tabs in Windows 7 etc.) is only present on certain Nightly builds at the moment. Other theme changes are landing in small increments though, like the removal of the glass frame around the ID block info bubble (when you click the icon to the left of URLs).

Does anyone else get the green download arrow clipped when a download completes?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xtal posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before: does the location bar not show any text for anybody else on Nightly?

I've had that problem since I reinstalled Windows and Nightly, so I'm not sure if it's a hardware acceleration/anti-aliasing/whatever issue. I don't think it's a problem with Nightly on its own, though?

Working ok for me on Windows 7 x64 with nVidia GTS 250 and latest drivers, Nightly build is 2012-08-08.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xtal posted:

I have the same build and OS, and a AMD 6850 with latest drivers. I'm thinking it must be an about :config issue?

I suppose it could be the font rendering set to some incompatible mode.

Fangs404 posted:

Text looks goofy! How can I change how Firefox renders text?
Firefox has 7 different font rendering modes. If you're having issues with how fonts are displayed, try playing with these values. gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode is the about :config entry you'll want to change.
  • -1 - Firefox Default
  • 0 - Default
  • 1 - Aliased
  • 2 - GDI Classic
  • 3 - GDI Natural
  • 4 - Natural
  • 5 - Natural Symmetric
This MSDN entry formally defines what the options mean.

Try each of those and see if it makes a difference. If not, follow the instructions in the OP.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Possible good news: Adobe Flash Player 11.3.300.271 is out and I haven't had screen tearing on the video since installing. I had to download it manually since Flash's autoupdate seems a lovely as the rest of the plugin, plus Firefox's plugin check site wasn't any more informative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Not sure why this version would cure screen tearing, it was just a security update.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/release-note/enduser-release-notes-11_3.html

And... it hasn't. I shall refrain from posting such optimism until it is verified.