Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Is uBlock going to have a better way to manipulate filter settings anytime soon? A few of my filters that work great in ABP cause weird changes to sites in uBlock, and it's very hard to troubleshoot when you all get is that big ol plain text list in the settings page.

Go ask the dev at his Github page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Now that there's a better version of AdBlock, is there a better replacement for No Scripts?

Kind of. This is in fact very closely tied up with uBlock:

The dev of uBlock originally made it as a dumbed down, more focussed version of another Chrome extension, uMatrix (formerly called httpSwitchboard).

It uses the same technology underneath, but gives incredible firewall-type control over all the content the browser is loading.
A great deal of overlap with NoScript, obviously.

I suggest you go check out the Chrome version of that and see if the features do what you get from noscript currently.

Porting uBlock to FF is an obvious first step to porting the full featureset of uMatrix - not sure if that's the plan at present, though I'm sure if you ask nicely, maybe donate to the dev, he'll think about it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

YggiDee posted:

Any particular reason everyone is leaping off the Adblock Plus train? Is the new add-on just generally better, or does it turn out that ABP secretly fills everyone's PC with spiders or something and I just managed to miss the news post?

It's worth noting that uBlock is using the exact same filter lists as ABP, and is fully compatible with them.

Writing and maintaining those lists is a huge part of the task, and neither extension is worth much without good subscriptions.

uBlock just applies them in a very different way, that dramatically lowers resource usage, and makes the browser feel snappier to me.

The underlying browser technology has been updated tons in the last few years, and now provides a way more efficient way to block things, which uBlock takes advantage of.

ABP does things the old way

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

68k posted:

I have Flash set to "ask to activate." When an applet appears, I click "Activate Adobe Flash", which brings up a dialog box that asks me if I want to activate or activate an remember. This is the way it should work.

But, on certain sites where the grey screen with "Activate Adobe Flash" in the middle appears, the dialog does not appear when I click and I am unable to load the applet. Right-clicking and telling it to activate the applet does not work, either. This occurs when the entire page is an applet. Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a fix?

You can click in the left of the addressbar, which should show a blue Lego icon for pages with inactivated flash applets.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone having problems with YouTube now that it defaults to HTML 5? Lots of the time I'll load a page and the video won't play, so I have to reload the page to sort it.

Not sure if its cos I have an old profile, bit I had to go change an about :config setting to fix this.

Mediasource.* to true.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Geemer posted:

Is uBlock available for Firefox Android?

Won't install for me. Honestly, I think on a phone CPU you're better off just using a hosts based as blocker like AdAway, which works system wide.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Baram posted:

is there a way to get rid of ugly firefox button/header there and scale down all that dead space?

Firefox 35/doesn't look like that, what extensions / theme are you running?

Just remove them, then see if you still have a problem.

I recommend the "square tabs for Australis extension", to unChrome things a biy without breaking layout.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Alereon posted:

What do people find useful about NoScript in addition to annoyance-blocking tools like uBlock or ABP? Scripts have been blockable by your filter subscriptions for 5+ years now.

Running a whitelist where everything is blocked by default is different from using a filter subscription, and much safer potentially. Also, Noscript provides extra security features outside what's available in FF.

They're too much for me, but they do have features valuable to the paranoid.

The Milkman posted:

What do you find better about them? Because I ran the other way, especially with Firefox DE letting me easily partition work and personal loving around

If nothing else, Chromium's network and other panels have a filter box, which is amazingly useful. No idea how Firefox can still be missing that, but it seems obvious.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

pseudorandom name posted:

Its literally the only "real" phone/tablet browser that supports AdBlock+, so it has that going for it, but you're still stuck with the Android clusterfuck to use it.

It's alright, can't say more than that. There are a few areas where it doesn't have native android features, like the zoom gesture already mentioned, which can tend to get annoying.

No idea what clusterfuck you're talking about.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm using the beta 37 and youtube is still impossibly slow for me and seems to desync after 3 minutes. I don't have this issue on Chrome, I thought this was supposed to be fixed by this beta?

I'm trying to use youtube in html5 in FF stable or FF nightly - it gives black video windows at present, though otherwise seems like it should be working - I get the video frame & control, can see the spinner, and can even see thumbnails & low res version of the video content if I hover / drag on the progress bar.

I've tried fresh profiles for both.

Does it matter if I have the flash plugin, installed/uninstalled / disabled? Mine is currently auto-disabled, as my braindead IT dept. refuse to update it, despite obvious security implications, so it's blocked.

Does it matter if I have hardware acceleration enabled / disabled in options?

Are there any pre-requisite video players or codecs I need installed?

I've enabled every mediasource.* option in about :config.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Alereon posted:

Hardware acceleration must be enabled and working, which means you need recent* video drivers. Software decoding should be possible (if slow) for VP9 video, but isn't for H.264 (only supports the Constrained Baseline Profile for video conferencing), so if hardware acceleration isn't available it would fall back to Flash. If Flash isn't available, then you don't have a way to watch video. Unfortunately if your IT staff won't update your video drivers or Flash then you're kind of stuck using Chrome for video. I'm in that boat too due to ancient, buggy Intel graphics drivers, they work but present frames out-of-order, which isn't watchable.

*very old or known-buggy drivers are blocklisted, see about :support.

Thanks. I now got flash updated. Can you tell me which element of about :support will tell be if there's a driver problem?

Adapter Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Adapter Drivers: igdumd32 igd10umd32 igd10umd32
DirectWrite Enabled: false (6.2.9200.16571)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

slidebite posted:

Hmm. I was really hoping to not reinstall Flash. Games aren't so much an issue for me, more streaming audio (radio stations) and the odd video from news sites or the like.

It could work on a few sites, but the main argument to still be using flash for video (other than your site is rear end-backwards) is DRM, which shumway won't support.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Honestly I'd be fine with ads if I could rely on the major ad services to always catch malicious ads before they go live, and there weren't sites that cause my browser to hang because all the advertising is just that lovely.

Alternatively, if Firefox provided a way to telepathically induce aneurisms in lovely advertisers.

And the advertising companies paid me for all the bandwidth their ads are wasting, delivered me new batteries mid way through the day to make up for the battery impact, and didn't ever have moving or interstitial ads.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Firefox is clearly the best browser on the desktop for my uses, but on windows at least it does suffer much more than the alternatives from things like GPU driver brokenness, plugin problems (flash) & extension breakage with every update.

I do suffer more than most as the only windows machine I use is my work desktop, which for some reason our IT goes won't upgrade the Intel GPU drivers.

But still. I can't currently play any YouTube videos in FF at work without resorting to an extension to force it to serve me flash videos. Chrome just works with html5.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Re Firefox on Android:

I don't recommend running as blocking extensions in the browser. Performance is much better using the AdAway root app (mods your host file) and it works well enough, plus its system wide.

I do use the lastpass extension on mobile, as the Android lastpass app still doesn't auto fill in Firefox last time I checked.

I run nightly on mobile for a few tasty new features, most importantly:
Background tab opening!

Added a few weeks ago, there's an option to turn it on in FF, then any link you open in browser from any app will queue to open next time you switch to the browser.

A toast message gives you the option to open immediately. Great stuff.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Actually looks like it's just separate processes for the UI and content threads, not specifically for each tab. Sigh. IE and Chrome have had the latter for years.

This is in fact far better, and is the thing that will fix the responsiveness problems.

Chrome's per-tab stuff is insanely wasteful on ram and CPU, and makes Chrome worthless for me outside of testing stuff.

The only argument for the per-tab isolation is security. If FF can assure that by other means then all the better.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Extension news: As flashblock has been broken for some time, I started using a new extension that fixes the built-in "click to play" plugin functionality to the point where its useable.
Edit: Click to play per element
* I picked the wrong addon and URL while on my phone.

Normally all plugins on a page get allowed at once, and this apples to all pages within a site for your session. I also get popup nag bubbles on lots of sites asking if I want to enable flash. Nope.

This fixes all that and makes things work like Chrome.

I'd normally happily uninstall the flash plugin and use HTML5 video, but YouTube videos have been broken on FF stable for me on my work PC (Win7).

Good news for YouTube html 5 and Firefox : In the latest nightly YouTube videos work, even on my work PC with outdated HD4000 GPU drivers.

They don't in stable last I checked. Not clear what they've changed, bit this is wonderful.

Chrome is more responsive than Firefox when you have a few tabs open, but it quickly slows to a crawl, pisses away tons of ram and CPU and does not unload or background any unused tabs, ever.

Once it exhausts the ram on your system (easy with 4GB) it becomes unusable.

Firefox can handle ~100 tabs with no sweat on the same system.

wooger fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 21, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Says there it's useless after Firefox 24?

I've been using this and it works pretty well when you switch the about :config preference.
Gah, you're right - I spotted I'd copied the wrong extension URL as soon as I got to a computer. That is the one I use too.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Dog uBlock can cover all of that in conjunction with a hosts file, christ. You're effectively running redundant extensions.

Not sure why you'd need the hosts file at all, just uBlock, with the various subscriptions.

Easy privacy is the one you want to cover disconnect's functionality, and it's in the default list options. One check box to tick.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Most UK broadcaster sites still use it, like BBC or Channel 4. Any way around needing Flash for them?

I have only watched iPlayer via android/iOS apps, played on to a Chromecast on my TV in about the last year, so that's nice.

Channel 4's player is disgustingly full of ads, to the point that it's easier to steal the content. Their apps are also trash.

Google and Netflix are only just getting HTML5 w/DRM working and approved for use by the studios.

These tv channels are well behind technology wise so won't get rid of flash for a while,. Too many parties to approve the DRM stuff, and lots of ad-serving tech integrated into their flash players.

BBC will be first.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Generic Monk posted:

solution: don't subject yourself to noscript

Well, we have uMatrix on Firefox now, which gives similar functionality with a better interface imo.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I hope they sout out e10s ASAP, Firefox's UI responsiveness is woeful compared with IE, Chrome and Edge (in Windows 10). That said, I wonder which, if any, of these extensions would be affected:

Click to Play per-element
Context Search
FindBar Tweak
FireGestures
LastPass
Restartless Restart
uBlock
Undo Closed Tabs Button
WOT

Those are the ones I've been using for years (Adblock Plus instead of uBlock until recently of course). If Firefox was as responsive as the other browsers and I could keep those extensions, I'd be :unsmith:

e10s is already in nightly, and works fine with lastpass, ublock origin and click to Play per-element, as I just tried those.
It does break vimperator though, which means I can't use it full-time at the moment, so not sure how much more responsive it is under load. FF39 has improved a bunch over 38 anyway FWIW.

If they're fixing e10s they could just go on to fix their built-in click-to-play plugin code so it works properly (exactly like Chrome is fine), fix the whole "restarts" requirement etc.

It's worth noting btw that the Chrome style per-tab process isolation is not required to fix responsiveness, just adding some reasonable level of process separation (split the UI from rendering threads, move plugins to another thread).

This is kind of the route they're taking last I checked, so we should be good.

edit:

Jippa posted:

I see there is some huge exploit with adobe. Can I just delete it off my machine completely or will it break every thing?

The exploit is with the Adobe Shockwave Flash Plugin.

Feel free to uninstall, it'll only break flash games / videos.

Or you could just go to about :addons, click on "plugins" and set Shockwave Flash to "Never Activate".

n.b. You'd need to do the equivalent for any other browsers you use, which may also have flash enabled.

wooger fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 8, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Flipperwaldt posted:

:shrug: I had problems with a single website where uBlock would seem to forget there were already manually picked rules in place to hide several elements and it would only pick them up again if I re-added them. uBlock Origins had an update that fixed that. Sooner, I should say. I think they exchange fixes for stuff among each other to a degree.

As long as there is no big schism as far as rule syntax goes, it's no big deal to go from one to the other so whatever.

I just trust the original dev who produced the entire thing (and also uMatrix) more than I trust the guy who offered to maintain it for him. Gorhill is an amazing dev.

Shame he got cold feet for a bit and tried to retire, as it's caused a lot of confusion and FUD.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Read posted:

Using a lot of memory doesn't mean a process has a memory leak. Are you sure you're not just confusing the overhead from Chrome's process architecture with a leak? Chrome uses all that memory for good reason (and people generally have enough spare RAM it doesn't matter, RAM that's not being used is not useful RAM).

If it pisses away tons of ram, and never releases it, for tabs I've not access in days, or for tabs I close, it may as well be. It uses double the ram of FF for the same number of tabs.

On 16GB system you're OK for a while unless you open hundreds of tabs. On 4GB, which many people have, it dies quick.

FF + the unload tab extension means I can browse freely without going above 1Gb most of the time.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Desuwa posted:

Chrome has a high performance add-on API. The lack of flexibility is why I can't see myself using it except as a last resort.

It remains to be seen how much customization will be lost, since I don't expect them to lock it down as much as Chrome is by design. Extensions really can't touch much of the UI of Chrome because it's all native code where I don't expect Firefox to be locked down that much. On the other hand if I were willing to give up a lot of customization for performance I'd already be using Chrome.

Agree with this entirely. The users Firefox still has are the technical people who use these low-level extensions. I'd be using Chrome if the extensions worked better (and the ram usage wasn't a joke).

I personally rely on vimperator, and there's no chance I'll keep using Firefox if it's not possible to re-implement with the new API.

On a separate note, I feel like a lot of Mozilla's budget is spent on irrelevant bullshit. I can't believe they're using the majority of donations to actually pay programmers who work on Firefox. $300 million a year income was the last number I saw. There are entire OS projects with an order of magnitude less funding. I doubt they have even 100 full time devs working on Firefox.

From their site and the stuff I hear in the media, they seem to think they're a successful San Francisco startup, rather than an open source project. It must cost an amazing amount of money to run swank offices in 30 countries and be based in SF.

That while *still* only having Firefox on one mobile platform, and not even being a good citizen there: FF on Android doesn't follow material design guidelines and doesn't even use the platform's zoom shortcut, 3+ years after it was introduced. (Android native zoom gesture is double tap, hold and slide up/down. FF mobile is still using an iOS pinch zoom for some reason). Also, FF on Android is still clunky and much less responsive than Chrome.

Firefox OS is a complete dead end and a waste of time: doing everything in web apps adds more overhead, the opposite of what you want for a low-end phone for developing countries.

Other than that it's just android, and they've already proven they can't write a browser for that platform competently.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've been using Android for 6 years and i don't think I've ever used this supposed "native zoom gesture".

Hmm, maybe you're not a power user? Do you not ever zoom, or you're using some other method?

Works in every other app but FF. Has done since ICS at least.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Fangs404 posted:

Is tracking protection necessary if you run uBlock? I haven't found a good explanation of how FF knows which things to block when tracking protection is on.

Like all of these tools: there is a list it uses to filter the requests.

uBlock origin should show all the ads if you whitelist a page/domain, provided you don't have the "advanced user" mode on, which will change it to more of a no script style JavaScript whitelisting functionality in addition to the advertising blocking filters.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

m2pt5 posted:

I disabled and re-enabled "Play DRM Content" to make sure the "Primetime Content Decryption Module" got installed, disabled Silverlight, and restarted Firefox, but Netflix still isn't working. (Even with Silverlight enabled it hasn't been working for a while now.)

Help?

I've had a nightmare with all silverlight players on windows recently - the latest version is very picky about graphics drivers, and just gives an error code on Sky Go for me at present on my Lenovo laptop, in all browsers.

Haven't tried Netflix, but I'd be surprised if the cause wasn't the same.

Try updating drivers from the manufactrurer page (intel, Nvidia, AMD).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mike12345 posted:

I don't understand. Isn't "open link in itunes" basically just a link? I wasn't even aware it was a plugin.

To open and perform actions in an external program based on activity in the web browser is clearly something that is not allowed or possible without a plugin.

The only exception to that is email links.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Desuwa posted:

Chrome explicitly targets the core use cases of a browser and leaves the long tail of power users and people with other wants to other browsers.

And the other browsers explicitly target Chrome.

Huh, Chrome is the heaviest, most over featured browser there is, though in the area of trying to make web apps work like desktop apps rather than user facing useful features.

It will randomly run random crap in the background & eat all my ram.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

~Coxy posted:

It would be perfectly viable if the Mozilla Foundation didn't waste bucketloads of money on stupid bullshit.

This x1000. They need to scrap everything that isn't directly related to making the best open source browser & email client - like maintaining expensive, swank offices in multiple major cities.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I found a way to reliably freeze Firefox yesterday while researching a holiday:

Airbnb seems to be the heaviest site in existence, and something to do with the way it loads images kills Firefox with only 10 tabs open. Ram usage got up to 1.3GB and climbing - though that wasn't the main problem.

I experienced the whole of Firefox becoming blacked out, and a a completely non-responsive UI.

Tried again with a fresh profile - no improvement.

Oddly Chrome also seemed to struggle - as every tab crashed (replaced with frowny face).

Can anyone else confirm that Airbnb is a monster?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

syntaxfunction posted:

I use Firefox (still love it) and only have an adblocker that is turned off on pretty much all my frequent sites. So I guess I'm the weirdo? It's not that I dislike Chrome or anything else, it's just I haven't seen the need to not use Firefox for my use case.

You must've not encountered the bugs somehow:
- GPU driver issues
- Broken HTML5 video support
- Profile corruption breaking everything.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Meldonox posted:

Firefox with uBlock Origin on Android is incredible. Nothing in the mobile space compares to Firefox thanks to extension support. I don't even know what I'd do for a mobile browser if I didn't have it.

Well, using Safari on iOS with a content blocker extension is pretty nice to be honest.

I've used Firefox on android a bunch, including the nightlies. It's Ok, but two things really bugged me:

1)
Performance in general was bad compared to any of the Blink/WebKit based browsers, and it had occasional stutters and freezes.

2)
It still doesn't use the android system wide zoom gesture, introduced in Icecream sandwich. Double tap, hold and drag up or down.

That works in every other app on Android, and it's one of the things I miss most since jumping to iOS. Oddly it is present in google maps on iOS if you want to give it a go.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Merkinman posted:

Mozilla is working on a rebrand. :argh: why aren't they working on {thing} instead*

*(even though this was a third party and even if it weren't, artistic things are done by different people than coding features)

Artistic people who're paid money that could be spent on more programmers, OR not running out of money to pay their existing programmers for years longer.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Hey, remember when we all left Ablock Plus in the dirt? I wonder what they're doing now?

Adblock Plus finds the end-game of its business model: Selling ads

They've been owned by Eyeo for years, who've been running acceptable ads policy for a long time. The only thing new is that they're now running an ad network directly.

There are already specialist ad networks that exist to serve "acceptable ads" to users of adblock plus (and the other ad-block tools that sold out).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Captain Invictus posted:

This has been happening for a while now, but twitter videos won't play at all in firefox. Everything else plays, youtube, mp4's, embedded webms, etc, but not twitter videos. Disabling noscript and adblock doesn't fix it. Anyone know a fix for it?

What OS and version are you on?

If it's Win7, you may need a media pack installed to allow Firefox to actually play many video types.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=16546

If you're on Windows 10, try a fresh Firefox profile first.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I was on the verge of switching back to Chrome earlier this week due to buggy, sluggish performance & ultra slow startup in Firefox. Then I tried disabling my addons, and eventually found out that Lastpass is an absolute dog and was dragging it down.

I might have to permanently ditch Lastpass just because of this, even though I use the iPhone app all the time.

As a replacement I'm trialing the Passifox addon, which connects to the keepass app to fill in passwords.
It works fine so far.

Does anyone else have the same problem with Lastpass?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bieeardo posted:

I had Keefox installed at one point several years ago, but got rid of it for some reason and can't get it running again. There seems to be a Keepass plugin involved, that isn't being installed with the addon, and that I couldn't find separately.

Oh well. I'm used to popping Keepass open and manually C&Ping.

I've stepped back, tried all the Keepass extensions over the last few days, on Windows & Linux, and arrived at PassiFox as the best one.

It works cross platform, as long as you can run keepass v2.
You need to add the KeePassHTTP plugin, but this seems well supported, has a GitHub page, and I got it working on Win10 & Fedora 25 in about 10 minutes total.

I'm syncing via Dropbox at the moment, as the only decent Keepass app I could find on iOS supports that natively. That's Keepass Touch FWIW.

I wish I could keep the Lastpass auto-fill for passwords in iOS Safari (or add it to Firefox) but I can cope. Will cancel my lastpass sub in a week or two if I'm still happy.

PassiFox is a little bit broken in FF multi-process right now ( I think the button doesn't show up), but otherwise works fine (I'm playing with Nightly right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sergeant Rock posted:

While we're on the subject:

I've noticed over the last month or so that YouTube is suddenly able to sneak through lovely adverts, past uBlock Origin. I assume they're inserting them directly into the video stream; they can appear at any time during a video.

Anyone got any idea how to block them? They're intensly annoying.

uBlock origin is just applying pre-built, separately maintained & updated filter subscriptions.

It will block anything that those filter lists can identify.

You need to look in the filter subscription options page and see if any extra youtube related filters can be turned on, or go look for a filter list which claims to work for youtube elsewhere.