Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Can anyone else confirm that as of Today, Netflix have started blocking the picture in picture feature?

It stopped working for me today.

Edit: now it’s working again, nevermind.

wooger fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Klyith posted:

It was a chrome feature for a while before it was a firefox feature. Google doesn't care how you watch youtubes as long as you're watching ads.

And they’re unable to stop that right now on both desktop & mobile, provided you use the website.

They’ve made the ads so bad recently (midroll especially) that I just deleted the app and will deal with the slight clunkiness of mobile Safari.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Mozilla lay off 250 staff: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2020/08/11/changing-world-changing-mozilla/

I haven’t seen details of what kind of staff yet, though fear the worst.

They’ve also announced a new focus... on 5 different things, including commercial products.

As always, they need to focus on Firefox & employing developers.

If they have money problems then they need to move their office out of San Francisco. Paying for that plus paying SF salaries must be a killer.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Insanite posted:

TBH, I'd be down with this if it's just paid email, cloud storage, VPN, etc.

This seems potentially fine, though there are competent versions of each already in existence. What are they bringing to the table, given they have no proven competence in cloud services?

They need to adjust thier structure to allow people to donate, with the money earmarked to go to Firefox dev only.

As is, the browser is part of Mozilla Corporation, so no way to support it.

The foundation, which you can donate to is purely faffing around with campaigning and marketing poo poo and nothing of value.

Internet freedom is good, but allowing the only viable browser not owned by a megacorp to whither and die is criminal, and makes the former impossible.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Inceltown posted:

People like me have hopes and dreams and give them money when they have it. I no longer have hopes, dreams or money so this is moot in the present.

You may think this, but you don’t.

Mozilla has two separate parts, Mozilla Foundation & Mozilla Corporation.

Only the first can or has ever taken donations.

Firefox is under the second, so will never have received a penny.

They are idiots.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Insanite posted:

I'd imagine that a default search engine deal with an advertising company during a global economic crisis doesn't pay what it used to.

It does, because it was a lump sum paid for N years of exclusivity as the default.

However, that’s up soon, and no follow-on deal is agreed this far.

That alone is 90% of revenue.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

biznatchio posted:

That's probably why their search deal contract with Google hasn't been renewed. Firefox used to have market share worth multi-million dollar deals. They don't anymore, and Google's not going to sign onto a new contract at the premium price that a contract that was negotiated in better days for Firefox had.

The next year or two are going to be very unkind to Mozilla. Their consequences of their strategy of letting designers run wild and constantly chase away users, and giving up all their differentiating factors in the marketplace are going to come home to roost. The money they bring in is going to start reflecting their vanishing userbase.

Their strategy of not allowing donations directly to fund the browser, and on spending money on anything other than the browser is what’s killed them. That plus having multiple HQs in the most expensive cities in the world, and generally behaving like a tech giant in terms of staff luxuries. 90% of everything they have been doing is worthless.

They could’ve made $500 mil last a long time with competent management and behaving like the open source project they are.

I’d be very sad to see MDN disappear or go to poo poo too, it’s the best reference for web dev stuff by far imo.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Vivaldi is windows only, so worthless for me.

Chromium seems viable, but has no stable version or update release system. You’re either using nightly builds which you manually upgrade often or some random version that got packaged up.

And it has the same downsides as Chrome in the most part.

Firefox isn’t going to disappear.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Has anyone gotten picture-in-picture to work on apple tv plus (tv.apple.com)?

I'm convinced they're doing something weird to break it, but given that it works for literally every other video streaming site it's unexpected.

Doesn't work in Chrome either FWIW.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Klyith posted:

Vivaldi, as long as "isn't Chrome" is just talking about chrome itself and not a general chromium based browser

It is basically Chrome, suffers from most of the same issues and limitations, uses the same extensions and isn’t open source.

The webrequest filtering change google are making will break decent adblocking for them just the same, unless they are going to competently maintain a forked version of their Chromium base forever.

They may say that they are, but they won’t.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How does a site track what I've done in Private Browsing? I know they can do that within the session but are they able to do that once the private session closes?

IP.

Fingerprinting of your computer.

Some other dodgy workaround they’ve found for setting a cookie equivalent elsewhere in your system (used to be flash cookies).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

astral posted:

What does "most Chrome features" mean?

Yeah, Firefox has always had more features as far as I recall, it just went to shut with rendering speed / UIresponsiveness / memory leaks for a while.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Firefox on iOS is broadly fine, and useful to have for desktop sync & access to Firefox saved passwords, but is ultimately unusable: there’s no Adblock.

iOS implements a slightly poo poo Adblock via content blockers, but they only take effect in Safari - no way I’m using anything else.

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a plugin or technique to let me specify which websites by default are Inverted Colors and which aren't? Like most websites have a Dark Mode, but I'd like if SA was inverted (with images left alone), or Amazon completely inverted including images.

Use Stylus with a global dark theme and edit it to apply on certain sites only / or add exceptions.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

cebrail posted:

Yeah. It's annoying as gently caress, I probably won't buy another iPhone.

Yeah careful what you wish for: iPhones are the worst. Except for everything else.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Computer viking posted:

This is very much a "multiple things can be true at once" sort of situation.

Is it possible for addons using webrequest to slow things down? Unquestionably. Does ublock origin actually make requests slower for the typical user? Not in any meaningful way.

Is google in a position of near absolute power over everything you do in Chrome? Of course, and that is a bit worrying. Can an addon that has suddenly been taken over by Moldovan hackers use webrequest to do a lot more harm than without it? Yeah, probably?

I think most people would happily cut off a finger to continue blocking YouTube ads and other obnoxious poo poo, let alone deal with slowness.

As long as the extensions have to report that they’re using this powerful API there’s no issue imo.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Computer viking posted:

I wonder if the non-google chromium browsers are enough of a critical mass to keep a fork going? I mean, both Opera and MS used to develop their own entire engines; so in theory it should be doable.

Of course, opera fired all those developers to save money shortly after switching, and I imagine MS repurposed theirs as well. Still.

MS currently maintain modified versions of Firefox, Chrome & WebKit, on at least Linux and Windows, to enable their Playright browser automation framework (fork of Puppeteer).

They have plenty of engineers to do browser stuff. If they lose Edge market share due to poo poo adblocking, they will act.

Edit: Chrime, Chome -> Chrome.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

slidebite posted:

I've noticed recently (since probably 89?) that my bank log-in is always asking me to reconfirm my identity with multi factor authentication. Every single time I logged in now which is getting annoying. I haven't changed anything on my side. This happens even if I don't get out of FF - I can log in (with multi factor), do banking, log out (still keep FF open) and immediately try to log in again and it forces me to respond to a confirmation email or text. It's like I'm in private mode but I'm not.

Is there something I should be looking at?

Hmm, I suspect you want to turn off Firefox built in tracking protection stuff and just use uBlock Origin.

Maybe some extraneous cookie getting blocked or unset.

Obvious way to diagnose is to try another browser and see if you have the same issue.

Edit: possible they just their policy?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Malloc Voidstar posted:

My wild guess would be an issue with graphics drivers or some weird about :config setting related to rendering

I get this on Google maps at present, for sure a graphics driver thing.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A better question is, does it matter once Chrome fucks over ad-blocking?

No. Chrome is annoying enough with a functional Adblock right now.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jippa posted:

I see that tweetdeck is going to be sold. Are there any viable alternatives if you just want to see stuff from people you follow?

Confusing, and completely at odds with every other decision Twitter have made recently.

Userscripts and ad-blocking is all there is.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quackles posted:

I use a separate extension to block YouTube ads.

Unnecessary, ublock origin does it with the default blocklists.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quackles posted:

I also use uBlock Origin and uMatrix together, and I've had some issues where it doesn't completely block YouTube ads. Maybe they're just getting smarter about it.

Yeah, all ad blocking has been a cat and mouse games for many years.

But I’ve not seen *any* YouTube ads in Firefox, nor in the Brave browser I use to block ads in YouTube on iOS. If your browser and extension are both up to date, check which blocklists you’re using in uBlock Origin. I don’t think YouTube is doing anything new to bypass ad blocking and it’s been perfect for me for a long time.

Google’s way of ‘getting clever about it’ is changing how extensions can work in manifest v3 to make it near impossible to block properly in most browsers in use. But we use the remaining good browser.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Flipperwaldt posted:

I really don't see why not. Works great.

Apart from the poster seeing YouTube ads?

What benefit are you getting from using two extensions that do 99% the same thing?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

armpit_enjoyer posted:

So they couldn't keep the Rust team afloat, but they'll gladly purchase a whole rear end startup? Maybe I'm just stupid but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Just having swanky offices in loving San Francisco as a non profit is a bit of a pisstake. Plenty of devs elsewhere, remote work etc. Could easily be half their income spent just on rent & extra pay so their employees can afford to live near one of their ultra expensive locations.

How many of the employees are even devs?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I use https://mybrowseraddon.com/adblocker-for-youtube.html to get rid of YouTube ads and it works flawlessly.

Or we could just keep using uBlock origin which has worked perfectly for many years on every site including YouTube.

And unlike that extension, the author has proven trustworthy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quackles posted:

I use that extension and it works great. I've also personally inspected the code [as of a year or two ago] and there is no funny business there.

It might work great, but surely 100% of people interested in blocking ads (everywhere) already have ublock origin installed, which already does the exact same thing perfectly.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quackles posted:

I also have uBlock Origin, as well. (I also use nuTensor, which is a fork of uMatrix. Yes, all three apps are running at once. I'm techie.)

I have found that some YouTube ads, and only YouTube ads, slip through uBlock Origin. That's why I installed the YouTube ad blocker extension.

If that happens (and isn’t just caused by the 3 overlapping redundant extensions you have), it’s just a matter of updating or adding to your blocklist subscriptions in uBlock.

This hasn’t happened to me ever - maybe if you don’t restart Firefox for months or something?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

VictualSquid posted:

I am currently using Ad-nauseam as my ad blocker and things work well. Also using sponsorblock.

Starting with that because yesterday I synced my profile to a second profile on my mother's computer to get some surfing done on vacation.
It ended up in a strange state where youtube ads play with a black screen, but with normal audio and the normal interface. Anybody have any idea what could be going on?

The ads are blocked successfully by my laptop on the same laptop. The laptop I recently wiped and synced the profile without customizing anything.
The ads play normally on my tablet's yt app on the same network.

YouTube changed something to break ad blocking, and the filter lists / your filter lists in your blocker haven’t updated yet.

Your sync probably doesn’t sync setting for either of those extensions.

ublock Origin is better.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Peggotty posted:

Google is one of the biggest companies on earth and they make pretty much all of their money with ads, so this is part of their most important battle.

I’ve not seen any evidence of any change, I still block ads 100% of the time with no glitches on multiple OS including mobile (Brave browser on iOS).

There are easy options available to them considering they control the dominant browser and the dominant video platform - but they can be subject to reducing their own marketshare or getting done on antitrust grounds by the EU etc; go app only, or go Chrome only via some proprietary drm based ad injection.

Sky and Now TV make you install a windows app to playback their subscription TV service. It’s heavily secured, locked to a hardware profile, and is prone to breaking with antivirus software or anything else that might affect the DRM.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Peggotty posted:

No. More than 80% of Alphabets revenue is from ads.

They’re one and the same thing, they use your data to better target and sell ads, which is mostly why companies collect your data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Computer viking posted:

That sounds vaguely OK, yeah. Shrinking the organisation a bit, dropping some of the distractions, and merging the rest into an "added stuff" team could be a good idea. I will wait and see what they do with "AI" before having any strong opinions on it.

Keeping going with useful non-browser development bullshit at all is the problem.