Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Ryokurin posted:

Is there any way to stop Firefox from dynamically refreshing when you scroll down a page? It's happened for the past couple of versions but I thought it was due to new mouse software I was using. For those who don't get what I'm saying, lets say you are on Facebook and scrolling down, at some point it will refresh the feed and you will lose track of where you are on the page because there's new content on top and it's pushed everything down more. It's not just Facebook, I've seen it on The Verge, Techcrunch and every page that dynamically refreshes.

Firefox in general, not likely. Facebook specifically, the Social Fixer extension can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Is there a decent Twitter reader for Firefox now since Echofon stopped supporting their Firefox version (like 9 months ago, apparently)? The last available version is giving me a "Can't login to Twitter. (410 Gone (account_verify_credentials))" error when I try to load new tweets.

Edit: Preferably something with a small pop-up overlay that displays the tweets rather than a sidebar.

Edit2: Found a fixed version of Echofon since they won't fix it themselves. [link]

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 2, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

xamphear posted:

What's the best way to sync my bookmarks with an iOS device?

("Switch to chrome" is probably the easiest answer here isn't it?)

This app claims to work with Firefox Sync: [link]

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I'm having a problem where embedded youtube videos won't display on most sites in Firefox 24, it seems for videos that are in iframes all I see is a black box. (I don't know if it uses the same method, but it completely breaks the usefulness of Youtube Link Title for me.) From what I'm able to find it's some sort of "mixed content blocking", but flipping security.mixed_content.block_active_content to false and security.mixed_content.block_display_content to true don't seem to make it work, and only breaks those videos that aren't in iframes as well. (I've flipped them both back.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

This is a new problem just since updating to 24. I have not added or removed any extensions, and it was working fine in 23. These videos are "not loading" to the point that Flashblock doesn't even acknowledge them as flash.

Edit: Never mind, I finally worked out that it's the Youtube Center userscript getting injected into the iframes because they're youtube iframes. I'll take it to that guy.
Edit2: And I fixed it even without getting a reply; just had to add youtube's embed url string to the exclude.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 22, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

pipes! posted:

420 smoke Keyword searches 'erryday.

Seconding this, I use keyword searches and keyword bookmarks all the time, and I hardly ever use the regular search bar any more. I only leave it up for a handy place to temporarily store a small amount of text.

Quick example on keyword searches - I have a bookmark that links to this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&username=%s

with the keyword goon, so I can just type 'goon <name>' in the address bar to go to <name>'s profile.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

GrizzlyCow posted:

YouTube Center can do all of that except disable comments. You'll need another script/add-on/plug-in to do that. It's available as a Greasemonkey script or an add-on/extension for your preferred browser. If you need to disable the comment section, you can undoubtedly find an userscript or userstyle that can do that easy.

I use a combination of Youtube Center and Resize Youtube Player to Window Size. The latter script moves the search bar and title below the video, and stretches the embed to fill the browser window, at whatever size you have it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also great is YouTube Auto Buffer & Auto HD which starts buffering the video without playing it.

Youtube Center has that option as well.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

Firefox 27 is now out. TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are now enabled by default, which makes Firefox the last major browser to do so.

Before I updated, middle-clicking on the tab bar undid the last closed tab, now it opens a new tab. How do I fix it? (I have Tab Mix Plus set to do what I want, but something in Firefox is overriding it.)

Edit: I am not using "tabs on top", so double-clicking would not toggle maximized.

Edit: Apparently it's the extension that was broken, and the latest dev build fixes it.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 5, 2014

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

:argh: Firefox 29. I just updated and hate Australis. 30 minutes and 3 new extensions later (and a couple beta extension versions), and I have things mostly back to the way they were before.

Is there any way to get rid of the stupid little messages that appear in the address bar when you open a new blank tab? Never mind that was another addon.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 29, 2014

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Nalin posted:

I don't have: plugin.state.nppdf, any of the extensions.dta stuff.

The dta ones are for DownloadThemAll, if you don't have that extension you can disregard them.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Knormal posted:

I use it because I also use it to quickly search things on Google Images, Wikipedia, IMDB, etc. As far as I know there's no way to change which engine the address bar searches with without changing your default, and even if there is I'm like Bieeardo and I want an error if I type something wrong, not a "Did you mean...?". Not to mention those times when I want to search, say, "bread", and don't want to try to remember if it's going to search for bread or automatically go to bread.com. I prefer my address bar to just be an address bar for URL-related things, and a separate search bar for search-related things.

You can use the address bar as a searchbar without even having a default. All the search engines in your searchbar can have keywords assigned to them, and if you type those keywords into the address bar followed by your search, it's functionally the same as typing in the searchbar. (Example: I have Google assigned to G, so I just type 'g bread' to search for bread on Google. The keywords can be as long or as short as you want, but initials/abbreviations are good - a few of mine are 'a' for Amazon, 'y' for Youtube, 'w' for Wikipedia, 'gis' for Google image search, and 'imdb' for take a wild guess.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Desuwa posted:

I actually didn't realize you could do this in Firefox. There goes one of the very few remaining things missing from FF that I had in Opera.

It's not a new thing, I've been using it for a long time now, since at least somewhere in the early-mid teens of Firefox versions.

On a similar note, you can also make keyworded bookmarks that insert a search term into an url; for example if you make a bookmark to:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&username=%s

and give it the keyword (for example) 'goon', you can then just type 'goon <name>' in your address bar to go straight to someone's profile page. Just put %s where you want the word to be inserted, and it works anywhere in the url. (I also have one for deviant art that uses [url]http://%s.deviantart.com/.[/url])

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Another new version, another new terrible feature, how can I get the Search Bar to work the old way? My issues with it is I have it defaulted to Google, but when I need to search multiple things on another engine, I used to do this by changing the default engine by drop down box then 'highlight the word' + 'S' key to do quick searches, now I have to go into even more menus just to change the default engine or use clicks instead of the shortcut way, also you can't middle click the different engines to open things in a new tab.

EDIT: Found a way to disable it.
1. about :config
2. browser.search.showOneOffButtons set this to false.
3. Restart the browser.

I did this and now all my search engines appear twice in the search box drop menu. (Not doubled up, the full list is just there twice.) Doesn't bother me too much because all the keyword shortcuts still work, but it's there.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

stratego posted:

Woo, Flash updated and now it seems to work properly.

Odd, the flash plugin doesn't seem to be working for me at all in Firefox 34.

Edit: Webm videos won't play either.

Edit2: Reverted to 33.1 and my plugins all work again.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 9, 2014

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

DownloadHelper is pretty good for grabbing videos and other media.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I don't know about the pop-up thing, but ublock does have its own version of the element hiding helper built-in.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Why isn't there a "Share through Firefox Sync" service for desktop Firefox like there is standard on the Android version? It should be as easy to send urls in the other direction as well.

I have no idea how those things are written or I would do it myself.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Nalin posted:

I once opened 10 Amazon pages at once. Firefox has never forgiven me for that one mistake. Amazon just does something horrible to Firefox.

Amazon has been really, really bad in Firefox for me for the past month or two. The search results not as much, but product pages take a good 30 seconds to a minute to get stable and quit making everything else unresponsive.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

Why isn't there a "Share through Firefox Sync" service for desktop Firefox like there is standard on the Android version? It should be as easy to send urls in the other direction as well.

I have no idea how those things are written or I would do it myself.

poo poo, it's only been a month since I last asked this? I used Pushbullet for a while, but it stopped working on my tablet for some reason.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Grim Up North posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/send-tab-to-device/ works but I found both ways to be extremely slow. I'm not sure if it is related, but before the Mozilla accounts change sending tabs used to be instantaneous for me.

I've seen that, but the option doesn't appear in menus anywhere when I install it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

~Coxy posted:

There's a dev blog article (not the main blog article of course) that says that Classic Theme Restorer will be one of the addons that will be impossible in the new world order.
So really there's no reason at all to use Firefox anymore.

I hope this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and leads to a fork, but that didn't happen in 4.0 so who knows.

gently caress that noise. Time for someone to whip out Fireforx.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

oh no a more stable browser what a travesty

At the cost of customizability, yes it is.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I disabled and re-enabled "Play DRM Content" to make sure the "Primetime Content Decryption Module" got installed, disabled Silverlight, and restarted Firefox, but Netflix still isn't working. (Even with Silverlight enabled it hasn't been working for a while now.)

Help?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

RZApublican posted:

Failing that, Video DownloadHelper, while a little sketchy, is very fast with fixing things related to YouTube internal changes.

I really like Video DownloadHelper. It catches most non-streaming embedded media (videos, audio, flash) and downloads them easily.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I just got Firefox 48, and I need a way around required addon signing. There are several addons I use that aren't on AMO that still worked fine in 47, but haven't been updated for a long time. (As well as a couple that just plain aren't on AMO.)

Even Windows 10 has an option to let you install apps from outside their app store. If a way doesn't turn up, it may just lead me to ditching Firefox for a browser that doesn't take the "walled garden" approach.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 3, 2016

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ok, I found updated or replacement versions for all of them except one - bbcode. (The url inside the addon's more info page has nothing on the addon anymore.) I know there's another extension that functions similarly, but it has separate submenus for each type of code, while this one has a single submenu with the separate menus inside that one.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I'll see what I can do with that one, I guess. Edit: Was already using Menu Wizard in place of Menu Editor, so that works well enough.

There's another that isn't working right, though - TryAgain, which I've found quite useful lately as Firefox has been frequently failing to connect to servers since I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 a few days ago. It gives the error "Unable to load TryAgain. The error could not be displayed; please consult the Error Console."

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 3, 2016

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way for Firefox (on Windows 10) to automatically open up a tunnel and connect via SOCKS to my server?

Right now I do that manually by opening up a tunnel via Putty and then firing up Firefox, but my end goal is to put all of this on a pendrive or in the cloud and have a portable secure browser and ideally it would be double-click -> browse.

If you can configure PuTTY to connect automatically on open, you can probably do it with a batch file (or equivalent.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Read posted:

Anyone know why this doesn't work?

I think you need to remove the colon before !important and wrap an url("") around the path, like this:

code:
#toolbarbutton-icon {src: url("chrome://simplified-tabgroups/content/icons/togglebutton/icon-inverted-32.png") !important;}
You may need to change that 'src' too, but I'm not sure to what. My best guesses would be image or background-image.

Edit: Probably image, based on the inherits in your pic.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Welp. I seem to have significantly more non-e10s compatible extensions than compatible ones. (47 vs. 28.) Guess there's no e10s in my future.

I tried getting a list of them with extension list dumper, but it doesn't want to work. Suffice it to say I'm not typing up the list of them all by hand.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Are they completely incompatible or are they just not explicitly compatible? Many legacy extensions can use shims that come with Firefox to continue to function.

The 47 all say "Not compatible with multiprocess." with that Addon Compatibility Reporter linked above installed. (The other 28 say "Compatible with multiprocess.")

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Read posted:

How the gently caress do you have that many addons.

:shrug:

Read posted:

about :support has a plaintext list, if your text editor supports regex you can just copy the page and filter to Name: (\w+ ?)+

Ok, I was able to get close to something usable with that, so here's my extension list marked with reported compatibility (1=yes, 0=no): http://pastebin.com/yPCz0Prf

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

xamphear posted:

KeePass plus Dropbox, and clients on iOS or Android. Free, and as secure as you'll get with any cloud service you have to pay for. The KeePass addon for Firefox is also really good. I think it's called KeeFox. Posting from mobile, so I can't check.

You got it right.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Sounds like something that should be suggested to TabMixPlus's dev. Seems like an ideal extension for that feature to appear in, and I know I'd appreciate it too.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 3, 2017

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Thauros posted:

Can anyone recommend a good translation extension? I'm learning Spanish so I don't want an entire page translated but i'd love something that would allw me highlight and right click a word or passage I don't know and get a quick translation.

I use Google Translate for Firefox. You can highlight some text and click the button on the toolbar to translate it in place, or you can just click the button to open a new tab with the whole page translated in Google Translate. It also supports Google's language auto-detect, I've used it for multiple languages already.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Hm. Enabling the "single post view" button in salr redux pushes the AM/PM on the post time to the next line, which adds a blank area below every post. Maybe add an option to switch them back to plain text links without the "button" formatting?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Is there an addon for Quantum that will add an "Open in current tab" option to the context menu for links, or at least for links with a 'target' attribute? (If not, would it be possible/practical to make one?)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Nalin posted:

I've found two addons that might work for you.

One is this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/target-_blank-toggler/

The other is a Chrome addon. I have no idea if it will work in Firefox, plus you need the "Chrome Store Foxified" addon to install it, but here it is anyway:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/death-to-blank/gneobebnilffgkejpfhlgkmpkipgbcno?hl=en

I do have Chrome Store Foxified, but I've never had much luck with it.

The second one doesn't seem to work at all (it has a config that can't be auto-converted) but the first, while not ideal, should be adequate until something better comes around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Odd, that one doesn't autoplay for me. (Also I hadn't heard of the Eating Tide Pods meme before that. What the gently caress, people.)