Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

wanda posted:

How are people finding the Firefox Android app?

I like it better than Chrome, since it doesn't crash a lot or require root to or to get rid of ads. The Android App thread hates that it doesn't have the thumb-zoom that Chrome does, instead requiring you to double-tap on text or pinch-to-zoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Was there any solution to the notification bar turning white on Android? I didn't really notice it during the day but now that it's night it's REALLY bright and annoying.

EDIT: Private browsing mode makes the notification bar a dark shade, so I guess I'll use that for now since 75% of my browsing doesn't need me to log in. I still hope there's a solution though.

effika fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 19, 2017

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Klyith posted:

or because you're trying to keep google happy.

They still have quite the good deal on search revenue from Google... so yeah, this is probably going to hit Firefox eventually too.

Everything is beginning to feel like the late 1990s/early 2000s again, when the browser market stagnated so badly and innovation was nowhere and I wound up running IE for a while because there wasn't anything else in a useable state. Will we have another browser renaissance this time, or will it just be a bunch of abandoned Firefox and Chromium forks that we switch to whenever the next one comes out?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Klyith posted:

Firefox 69:huh: is out, which means that anyone who likes using userchrome.css needs to

But also it now has a new Enhanced Autoplay Blocking which allows you to block autoplaying video even if it's mute which is very cool. I've definitely noticed a trend on some websites to have every drat story icon be a video (the ex-gawker sites are really bad with this). To change this go to Privacy & Security in the Options menu, scroll down to Permissions, and check the Autoplay settings. Set it to "block audio and video" if you want to halt all those dumb video thumbnails.

Plus some other improvements including one that should improve battery and/or multiprocessing on Win10 by changing priority of content threads.

And in other news, Mozilla has announced that they won't be following Google's change to extensions that will cripple ad-blocking. Hooray! :toot:

I still use Chrome on my desktop out of habit but the video thing will get me there full time, I think.

Firefox surpassed Chrome with regard to being usable on phones ages ago, and I'm kinda looking forward to it being my daily driver again on desktop.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Did the "Copy to Clipboard" function disappear from anybody else's share menu in the latest Firefox Mobile for Android? I use that button constantly but it's gone now as of 68.1.1.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
What's a good dark mode extension for Android Firefox? It can't run themes otherwise I'd just use one.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Ooh, this turns the notification area a pretty blue. Nice.

Kheldarn posted:

I just started using Dark Reader. It's available for Firefox and Chrome, mobile and Desktop.

Thanks!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Got the new mobile version and tabs no longer queue for later. I can't find the setting for it either. Is it gone forever or is there some way to fix this?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
This has made reading email suck so much. Time to see if there are any other options I guess. :sigh:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Oh no there's a blue notification dot on the 3 dot menu for every site that wants you to add it to your home screen & I can't seem to use the right Google terms to see if that is fixable.

I just... The developers don't actually use this browser, do they? :psyduck:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I just want to open things in the background in a tab queue again on Android. I subscribe to several mailing lists and I have stopped reading most of them on mobile because I can't just tap tap tap my way through the email and then go read all the interesting links at once. No, I end up tapping, switching back to email, tapping again, switching back to email, etc. I gave up and save them for when I'm at a desktop.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I will say this is a nice change on Android:

Having the synced tabs right there instead of a few more taps away is nice.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
They added a dedicated button to see my desktop tabs on Android Mobile, so that's nice.

I had to stop using Firefox on my desktop as it started getting really buggy and slow with half the sites I use, so it's not really useful.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Is anyone else having a problem where the mobile app stops suggesting any bookmarks/history when typing in the address bar? It'll work once on restarting the browser, but then just stops completely.

Between this and the "everything opens a new tab" behaviour that never seems to get fixed because they think it's a feature the newer versions are really starting to piss me off.

Yep. And recently the mobile version just doesn't load things. Click a link and it's 50/50 on whether it will load or if it will just do nothing but have the URL in the address bar after 30s or so. A reload works perfectly fine, but it also shouldn't just not load things?

Tried a new profile, safe mode, etc. Still an issue.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
How do I get a shortcut that's a link for my home screen on Android? The menu below has Install instead of Add Shortcut. When I "install" it, I get a browser window with no url bar, tab menu, etc. It's not really usable and I don't want that. How do I get the plain old shortcut link that opens in a real browser back?

EDIT: I changed my search terms and found the solution in a reddit post.

Reddit Link posted:

1. Get the URL just like you want it (e.g. lopping off paths, altering query strings, whatever), but don't go to it yet

2. Turn on Airplane Mode (or use whatever your favorite method of cutting off all Internet access might be)

3. Attempt to go your URL; it will of course fail

4. You now have "Add to Home screen" instead of "Install". Use it.

5. Restore Internet access and enjoy your simple link

effika fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 18, 2022

effika
Jun 19, 2005
One of my GTK themes updated and Firefox decided to make the address bar drop-down background transparent. If this happens to you, it's an easy userChrome fix:

code:
/* Change the URL bar drop-down background */
#urlbar-results {
background:  var(--toolbar-field-focus-background-color) !important;
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah, I don't know what they think I'm using YouTube for, but nothing I watch there is worth paying Google for.