Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

The Milkman posted:

Anyone know what's up with Lightning? There's been no updates for it to work in Earlybird for a while now.

Some automation stuff got horked (I'm guessing it happened around when Thunderbird's automation infrastructure switched to using the same as Firefox). You can follow the issue here if you like: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=756116

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Lord of Sword posted:

Firefox automatically updated to 13 a few days ago, but Mouse Gestures Redox doesn't work past 3.6, and I literally can't use Firefox without it. I'll try updating the drivers and see if that works.

You should be able to edit the maxVersion for the add-on and have everything work just fine. Find the .xpi in your profile folder, open it up (it's a renamed zip file), open install.rdf, and change the maxVersion to some huge number.

Note that by doing this, there's always the potential for things to break in hilarious ways, but it's worked for me for ages.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Xander77 posted:

The latest, I'm pretty sure. At least, it got updated a few weeks ago.

Eh, I'll go update it to version 13 just in case, see if that helps.

Try looking in Options -> General -> Startup.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

pipes! posted:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but the trouble the close only works until a new window is spawned.

Try deleting localStore.rdf in your profile folder? Sometimes that file gets corrupted and it becomes impossible to customize things in Firefox. (Note that this will reset all your customizations, window positions, etc.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

pipes! posted:

Long and short: I'd like no Add-on bar and running Lion, so I think I'm just poo poo out of luck. I think the next step is to just reinstall on all machines one by one. Regardless, sorry it took a bit to get back to you guys, and thanks for the help!

Have you tried resetting your profile (Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox)? That should keep your history, bookmarks, password, etc, but wipe out all your extensions and start you fresh. Then you can reinstall the extensions you need, and hopefully it'll work.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

pipes! posted:

Yup. I am edgecase, hear me roar :saddowns:

Well then, much as I hate to suggest it, you can hide the add-on bar by adding the following to userChrome.css:

code:
#addon-bar {
  display: none !important;
}

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

jeeves posted:

Mozilla is stopping development on Thunderbird past next version. It will just be security patches from then on.

It's true that that's all Mozilla employees will get paid to work on, yes. Community volunteers will still be able to add all the new features they like (provided they pass review, of course). This really isn't that much different from how it is now. Somewhere around 50% of the development in Thunderbird is from volunteers, and has been that way for years now.

Unfortunately, the messaging of this announcement probably would have been a lot less controversial if someone hadn't leaked the internal memo. They could at least have waited until Monday when it was supposed to be announced publicly and then leaked stuff if they had a problem with the public version.

Alereon posted:

... there's nothing left to innovate.

That's definitely not true, though. There are lots of things that could be done in Thunderbird: improving composition, redesigning the address book, etc.

Still, Thunderbird's not going anywhere for a while, so don't worry. It's still supported, but Mozilla isn't going to pay people to work on new features. (Edit: I know Alereon mentioned this too, but it bears repeating.)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 10, 2012

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Decius posted:

There was some more development happening after a very comatose state the last few years, and I'm dreading what this news will do to the enthusiasm of the people who cared to develop for TB in their free time.

I wouldn't worry about this. Most of the people in the TB community are ready and willing to keep contributing.

Incidentally, if there are people out there who'd like to start contributing to Thunderbird, shoot me a PM and I'll be grudgingly willing happy to point you in the right direction (I've been a contributor for a couple of years now). Anyone with a decent amount of Javascript knowledge can do cool stuff for TB.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SeaTard posted:

So apparently the new version of Firefox doesn't reload saved tabs when you restore them (such as from a browser crash/close). Anyone know how to turn that back on? I've wandered through about :config, but there was nothing obvious that might control that behavior.

Options -> General -> Disable "Don't load tabs until selected"

(If it's disabled, switch to "Show my windows and tabs from last time", toggle the checkbox, and switch back.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

law abiding rapist posted:

I should probably reset my profile but then I lose everything, this is the same profile I've been using since FF 4. The install folder is still Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 7.

Two things:

1) The install location of Firefox doesn't affect your profile, which is in AppData (or your homedir).

2) You can reset your Firefox profile while keeping most of the important data (bookmarks, history, cookies, passwords, and form data) by going to Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox. Then you just need to reinstall any extensions you want to keep and mess with prefs to get it back to how you like.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Does the video on this page give you problems too? If not, it's probably not an issue with the video decoding.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Ryokurin posted:

I don't tend to use it because you have to restart the browser. That's the one thing that I like that Chrome does that Firefox cant, have a private window along with standard.

That's changing "soon": https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=463027#c91

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Robolizard! posted:

Also the newtab page for firefox is really awful. Why would I want it to show the most recent stuff - I want it to list stuff I visit all the time, and not have stuff I just happened to load thrice in one session on there the next time I make a new tab.

Open the Library (Ctrl+Shift+B) and drag any sites you really like onto the new tab page. If you don't tell Firefox what sites you want there, it'll just have to guess.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've been surprised how many websites have Flash running in the background, doing nothing but (presumably) spying on me or something.

Usually, sites use hidden Flash widgets to either play sounds or mess around with copy and paste, since you can't modify the clipboard with Javascript.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Maybe its a specific setting I have in TabMixPlus, but it's a known issue over at there forums with lots of people complaining, apparently their current dev build fixes this.

I'll never understand why (non-abandoned) add-ons have trouble fixing their stuff before the final release of a given version. Everyone should know by now that there's a new release every 6 weeks, and that there's plenty of time to test your code against nightlies, alphas, and betas.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Sergeant Rock posted:

The Release Notes for FF17 claim that it supports ECMAScript's String.contains : https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/String/contains

But I can’t get it to work. Is this because I am stupid?

It was backed out: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=793781

Edit: I fixed the wiki page too.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 21, 2012

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

What versions enable that h.264 support, or how can I check if what I'm using now does?

20.0+, and make sure media.windows-media-foundation.enabled is set to true.

EDIT: Oh, and you need Win7+ for now. If you're on Vista, then 1) :lol: and 2) it doesn't work yet (but it will eventually).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 29, 2013

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Im_Special posted:

I never said it didn't get exploited or ever will again, only that it's now much more secure then it used to be and you only every hear about this kind of stuff about Adobe, when the alternatives are just a vulnerable and by many of the exact same exploits that are used against Adobe.

That's the nice thing about pdf.js. It's implemented entirely in content-level Javascript, so the surface area for attack is exactly the same as Javascript in general. Plugins or native applications* just increase the surface area. That's not necessarily the end of the world, but unless you really need the features of Adobe/Foxit/Sumatra, it's smarter to use pdf.js. You can always fall back to an alternate PDF reader for files that don't work (or submit a patch to pdf.js!).

* Really, anything whose code is "trusted" on some level.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

Is it possible to select the number of pages/bookmarks speed-dial displays? Like 3 instead of 9? (Not talking about the extension, but about the built-in one)

browser.newtabpage.columns and browser.newtabpage.rows, presumably.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hogburto posted:

E: To my original question: That media.windows-media-foundation.enabled only enables support for the specific h.264 codec that ships with Windows?

Correct.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 7, 2013

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Oh, and to address your issue with CPU usage spiking, that's because Firefox doesn't use hardware acceleration for h.264 video yet. However, a patch to do so is in progress: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=847267

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Maybe Mozilla should stop wasting its money on lovely smartphone OSes and then they could implement H.264 properly.

EDIT: Fine I'll be nice (why I'm doing this is beyond me).

There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in Mozilla projects, it being open source and all. If you're not happy with the things an open source project is prioritizing, then get involved (this can include writing patches, or even just helping test pre-releases). That's what I did with Thunderbird.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 8, 2013

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Mujaji posted:

Giantbomb.com has switched to using the browsers native full screen rendering instead of flash's implementation. So now on multi monitor setups when you change window focus it automatically leaves full screen, which is really annoying there are workarounds (f11 + windowed full screen) but I would rather just click one button. Is there some about :config setting or a plugin to make firefox keep fullscreen video playing on a second monitor when it loses focus?

Switch to Firefox 22 for now? It has your bug fixed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=724554

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

Is there a way to back up your extensions that's not FEBE? I believe I'm going to need to reset my profile soon and I don't want to have to go dig up all my extensions again, and while it appears to, FEBE refuses to install.

You should be able to get at all of your extensions from your profile folder, and the old one is helpfully copied to your desktop when you run Reset Firefox:

quote:

After the reset is finished, your old Firefox profile information will be placed on your desktop in a folder named "Old Firefox Data."[1]

That said, I didn't actually try this to confirm it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Dice Dice Baby posted:

It's a good way to recover extensions that aren't actively being developed anymore, like Mouse Gestures Redox :smith:

If you like Mouse Gestures Redox, you might like All-in-One Gestures, which I think has the same ancestor as Redox. I haven't tried it yet, though, so maybe it's a piece of poo poo!! EDIT: Tried it, it totally is!

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 26, 2013

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

My main issue with FireGestures is the anemic support for rocker gestures (and the lack of diagonal gestures). Someone also issued a pull request to improve rocker gestures, but the developer wasn't very responsive.

One of these days I'm just going to write my own gesture add-on and make it not suck.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

For those of you who care about that sort of thing, Windows (Vista+) nightlies have hardware-accelerated h.264 video now: http://blog.pearce.org.nz/2013/05/hardware-accelerated-h264-decoding.html

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Shouldn't someone be able to select where new tabs open (right of the current tab, OF COURSE) without having to track down an addon?

Isn't that what Firefox does by default? (Check the pref "browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent" and make sure it's true).

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Or hide the loving X buttons that appear on every single tab?

Set "browser.tabs.closeButtons" to one of the following: 0 (close button on active tab only), 1 (close button on all tabs), 2 (no close buttons), or 3 (a single close button at the end of the tab bar).

Gerudo Rivera posted:

I don't feel like these are bloat, or "power user" requests. Most are basic usability concerns & conveniences.

Which is why the majority have hidden prefs.

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Year after year, features on cars that used to be "high end" (ABS, AC, power windows, GPS) have become standard. These browsers seem to be racing in the opposite direction. Instead of finding ways to naturally incorporate new functions without adding dozens of new toolbar buttons & slowing everything to a crawl, they're offering barebones frames & engines and expecting everyone to just plug the extra bits they want into the cigarette lighter. stop.

This is a bad analogy. You'll note that what car manufacturers are doing is adding often-used features to all their product lines. But that's not what you're complaining about with browsers; you want the options to tweak your browser in whichever way you like best. Auto manufacturers don't do that either. Don't want ABS? Too bad, you're getting it.

There are plenty of things being added to browsers (most obviously in terms of HTML support), but no, there aren't a lot more options being added because no one does that. Doing so adds a maintenance/testing burden onto developers (or automotive engineers) that just slows down their ability to add things that are useful to the majority.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Well, what is the point of Firefox? It's free and made by a non-profit organization, as far as I can gather. There are no ads and no real point to it other than open source pride. I don't see why the Mozilla devs should be happy that Grandma now thinks that Firefox out of the box feels as simple as IE. Everything causes more work for the developers, so that point doesn't hold water.

Not everything makes the same amount of work. Improving a given feature (and not adding a bunch of settings to tweak it) is less work than adding (or keeping) a bunch of options. Every configuration option adds complexity to the testing matrix (you have to ensure that combinations of options don't cause breakage), and requires devs to keep those options in mind every time they want to improve something in that area. Mozilla (or any other company) doesn't have infinite resources, and the time spent to maintain little-used options is time taken away from work on more widely-used areas.

Pilsner posted:

What would you say if FF cut support for extensions, because the majority probably don't use extensions anyway?

85% of people use add-ons in Firefox: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2011/06/21/firefox-4-add-on-users/

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Now that we finally have H.264 support, does anyone know of an Addon that implements click-to-play for HTML5 video/audio?

Flashblock.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

I started the HTML5 trial for Youtube, I am not really seeing anything different. Really the only thing I have noticed is that with flash, I can set Youtube to be full screen on one monitor and keep using the other monitor, but with HTML5 it kicks me out of full screen if I switch to another browser window. Is there any easy way to prevent this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431449&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=65#post414697218

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Alereon posted:

Also, register a bugzilla account and vote for that bug to increase its chances of getting fixed sooner.

I'm fairly sure Mozilla developers pay little to no attention to votes, mostly because it's pretty difficult to tell when tons of people have found the bug independently or if it just got linked on Slashdot or something.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Nevermind.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

Anyone know how I can tell FF to reload a thread at the exact position I'm currently looking at? It keeps jumping back to the post that was previously the last one.

That's the forums' fault, since it's explicitly telling Firefox to scroll to a particular anchor. If you're just navigating by page instead of going to the last unread post (i.e. the URL has no fragment id - the thing with the #), then you'll get what you want.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pilsner posted:

... but all other than those google fonts look fine. However, since it's the same problem in Chrome I guess it's not really an FF bug.

Presumably the Google fonts aren't optimized for non-ClearType rendering.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Disgustipated posted:

That is by design. It won't show a preview of any https site.

That's not the logic Firefox uses. It doesn't show previews of pages whose HTTP response headers include "Cache-Control: no-cache".

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Im_Special posted:

I know about the option setting Tools > Options > Tabs > [ ] When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately, which is indeed unchecked and this seems to work well for regular links, but bookmarks and this search engine search seem to ignore this rule.

In about:config, toggle browser.search.context.loadInBackground to true.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

I'm having trouble displaying a preview of Twitter on the newtab-page. It's probably related to it being https? I googled for a solution a while ago, but the fix was dependent on a feature in about :config that has since been removed. Or something. Right now I just get a blank square, and that's a bit annoying.

This should be fixed in Firefox 25. It'll show a thumbnail of the page as though you weren't logged in, so as to prevent privacy issues.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

Mozilla again postpones Firefox third-party cookie-blocking, this time for months

I was expecting this to land in 23, but when I got 23 yesterday, I noticed 3rd party cookies were still enabled, so I searched around and found this article.

You are aware that you can currently block 3rd-party cookies from unvisited sites, right? They just didn't make it the default yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

I haven't had anything serious to edit in the OP in a while. Do you guys have any recommendations for changes to the OP to keep it current?

New logo, a link to The Burning Edge, and maybe a link to Bugzilla under the Test Releases section?