Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to move the "find in page" bar to the top? I'm moving back to Firefox after using Chrome for a while, and I find that it's more natural for my eyes to stay near the top of my screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Firefox have something like the "recent tabs" feature of Chrome? I didn't think I used it much when I used Chrome, but once or twice a day I find myself wishing I could quickly open a tab that's open on another device.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nalin posted:

I don't know if it is what you want, but the History menu has "Tabs From Other Devices" and "Recently Closed Tabs". I haven't used "Tabs From Other Devices" before, but it probably works if you have Firefox Sync enabled.

Yup, that'll do nicely, thanks. Coming from Chrome, I often forget about the menu bar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm using NoScript, but I've had problems using some Google sites, notably Maps and image search, even though I've enabled google.com scripts. What else could be causing problems?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flipperwaldt posted:

You need to allow gstatic.com as well for those sites.

I have. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I remove a domain from the suggestions in the URL bar if it doesn't show up in the list? I often go to a domain for my school that starts with fa, but when I go there, I type the course number, which brings up the right URL. However, I've gone there so many times recently that when I want to go to facebook, the URL bar brings up the other one first, so I can't just type fa and hit enter. I know that normally I'd highlight the offending entry and hit delete, but when the entry appears in the URL bar rather than in the suggestion list, this doesn't seem to work.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Got the update to 32.0.2 the other day, and now I'm seeing a lot of hangs/unresponsiveness when I open more than maybe 5 tabs at once, where I didn't see this before. Any suggestions?

Edit: actually, I'm seeing occasional little pauses even when hitting ctrl+l to go to the URL bar, or opening one tab. This sucks a lot.

hooah fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 20, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the past few days, I've been getting unresponsive script messages a few times a day. Here's an example from insider.microsoft.com:

How can I track down what's causing this? I've seen it on many different sites.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

jid1-iqdnyiaxnc724q is apparently the Greenhouse extension

And, that's helpful, and makes sense, too since I did install that a few days ago. Thanks for digging that up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not sure if this issue is from the mobile (Android) or desktop version. I'm signed I to sync on both, but I can't see my mobile recent tabs in the desktop version. Any suggestions on fixes to try?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

saucepanman posted:

Same here. Mine are just plain white though.

I have this for the ones that are broken.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wooger posted:

You can simply type in the address bar and use Ctrl-return to make a new tab open with your desired page or search.

I think this might be enabled by some plugin you're using or perhaps disabled by one I am, because it doesn't work for me. Just loads in the current tab.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wooger posted:

Sorry man, It's think I mean alt-return perhaps.

Yup, that's it. Thanks for the cool new trick!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm on Firefox 31.1.1, and today on my desktop I've noticed that gifs are very choppy and Firefox is often using ~35% of the CPU. Sometimes it'll come back down, but when it's misbehaving it stays at that higher percentage. Should I just try clearing my profile or whatever that is first, or is there a more likely cause?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Desuwa posted:

I just wish it was separate from bookmarks since it means making another bookmark folder to hide them.

This. Also, if I have to re-install Firefox for whatever reason, I lose my search keywords, which doesn't make sense since I would think those would be tied to my sync profile.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of search engines, how do you add a keyword now (34.0)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Sure you can: right-click the search box you want a keyword for and click "Add a Keyword for This Search...".

That works, but now there's a stupid "Search YouTube" thing sitting in my bookmarks. The other way didn't cause this.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I was getting that earlier today. It went away after I updated Flash and then restarted Firefox.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently, the font rendering (at least on the forums) seems to have gone all funky. I thought I remembered some discussion about this a month or so ago, but I wasn't able to find it. How does one go about fixing this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a weird issue with a scroll-wheel mouse on my laptop. Periodically (I think after I play a game called Warframe), Firefox will scroll slower than it did. If I increase the scroll speed in Windows' Control Panel, that will make it go faster, but I'll have to keep doing this. The problem doesn't seem to effect e.g. Chrome or Windows Explorer, and the trackpad still scrolls at the normal speed. I tried poking around in FF's Settings, but couldn't find anything that might be related.

Edit: Scrolling resets back to normal if I restart Firefox.

hooah fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 3, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, I can't access https://www.mathworks.com from my laptop, though I can from my desktop. Both are on the same network, though the desktop is wired to the router. Firefox on my laptop is giving me the "The page isn't redirecting properly" error. I can get to the page on the laptop with Chrome. Any ideas what the hell is going on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rastor posted:

Clear cache?

No change. Although I should have thought of that myself :doh:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I agree that they're not forcing it because yesterday I kept having youtube videos freeze and crash Flash, so I looked up how to force them to HTML5, even though I thought I'd done that ages ago.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got two questions about this uBlock:

1) I tried installing it from the link on GitHub, but Firefox gives me an error saying "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on GitHub." after it appears to completely download. Is there a way to save the file off of GitHub so I can install it manually?

2) I have no experience with installing add-ons from outside of the Mozilla store/whatever. Will this update itself automatically?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Alereon posted:

Right-click on the "uBlock.firefox.xpi" on this page, Save Link As. Drag-and-drop it into the Add-Ons Manager (ctrl+shift+A).

Thanks, this worked. I thought I'd tried that and gotten an html file, but I could be mis-remembering.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Generic Monk posted:

Anyone got any recommendations what the best youtube extension is that enforces playing the highest res video possible, allows player size customization etc? Currently using 'Youtube High Definition' which is OK but causes a weird flickering refresh of the video when the page first loads which I'm not a fan of. Also is there any way to duplicate the behaviour chrome has where you can drag images/links from the browser onto the desktop/explorer and they'll just seamlessly save? Finally got firefox working properly (bizarrely the nightly builds are orders of magnitude more stable and way less problematic than the stable version for me, I have no idea why) but I do miss some of chrome's usability features.

Interesting. I've been using the same extension and haven't noticed the flickers. Granted, I'm on the stable channel.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Eh, more robust synching would be nice. I thought I'd set it up, but it isn't working. Also, a way to permanently allow special fonts would be nice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

xamphear posted:

ABP turned into a quasi-extortion scheme.

Wait, what?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is it that when Firefox marks Flash as out of date, it isn't able to update it when I click "Update Now"?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Freakazoid_ posted:

I just noticed pdf.js no longer works with 35.0.1. Is there an alternative or do I have to go back to using adobe reader?

How do you figure? I'm on the same version and just tried opening a PDF and saw "PDF.js" in the tab title before the PDF's title loaded.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's going on with YouTube? I thought they'd switched to HTML5 for everyone, but I'm seeing the message about out-of-date Flash player (which as before is the most up-to-date stable version available). poo poo's loving annoying.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

astral posted:

If you haven't already and if you don't mind the lack of a couple quality options (480p/1080p) until the next Firefox version, you can opt into (or back out of ) the html5 player at: http://youtube.com/html5

I'm not entirely sure from your post if it's Firefox or YouTube telling you that your flash player is out of date. Which is it? And what version (numbers) of Flash do you have?

Firefox is blocking it; I get the banner if I go to the YouTube site, and if I click on an embedded link in the forums, the rectangle is replaced by the larger version of the warning. My Flash version is 16.0.0.296.

I had been opted-in to the HTML5 version, and now things seem to be working fine after toggling that twice (to default and back).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

astral posted:

Glad to hear you were able to get the HTML5 youtube working! For Flash, I'm running 16.0.0.305 - if the normal updater isn't working for you, try here.

Thanks. Why the gently caress isn't that the version that you get from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/???

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Purple D. Link posted:

FF 36 beta did have MSE and defaulted to HMTL5 on Youtube until recently, since it's not ready for release yet. Made me sad since I had zero issues with HTML5 video before, but after they removed MSE, YT videos go out of sync for me.

What's MSE in this context?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Baram posted:

is there a way to get rid of ugly firefox button/header there and scale down all that dead space?

I'm not sure what you did. What OS are you using? This is what mine looks like in Windows 8.1

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't understand. That's what mine looks like without any cosmetic add-ons.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently I've noticed that I can't access tabs from recent devices on my desktop; it's just grayed out. It works fine from my laptop and phone. Is a profile reset on the desktop necessary, or more of a last resort? If the latter, what can I try first?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently (maybe since the last stable-channel update? not entirely sure) I've been seeing this kind of image corruption if Firefox has been open for a while or I open a lot (>~10) tabs at once:

Any ideas what's going on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

On Aurora [Dev] (38.0.1 Win64) I don't get stalled images but I do get empty ones, and sometimes ones that end up looking like they got shrunk down and then blown up like a texture error (you can probably stress test this with a screenshot LP*); seems to corroborate the "loading a ton of crap from the same site" story). I DID get what you described on 36.0.1 but it's too early to claim the same problem with different symptoms.

If it matters, I'm using a GTX 560 Ti with the official GeForce 347.71 driver package.

EDIT: *Well this is interesting: the Chaos Rings LP uses Imgur, which Firefox 38 takes like a champ, while the Kyrandia 2 LP hosted on LPix misloads poo poo left and right. I would say it's a thing between my ISP's IP block and LPix but loading the same images manually in IE 11 works fine, but either way it's probably not the same problem.

It really seems to mostly affect the forums. For example, the images in my post you quoted are hosed up, and the post/reply buttons at the bottom of the thread aren't displaying right either. I haven't noticed a problem on any other site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been seeing some strange behavior related to tabs recently. I have a Greasemonkey script (SAplusplus) that among other things puts a button on the bookmarks list to open all unread in new tabs. Sometimes when I click this, it opens doubles of each thread. The other thing I've been seeing is that opening the last closed tab (ctrl+shift+t) sometimes opens the first tab I closed that session. Does anyone have any idea how to fix these? I'm not using any tab-management extension.