Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Anjow posted:

The new profile made it work, but does this mean that I've got to start afresh with years worth of bookmarks and extension settings?

Edit: Anything I try and copy across from the old profile fucks it up. This is utter loving poo poo and a large waste of my time. Nerdrage.

Bookmark exporting and importing:
Bookmarks -> Show all Bookmarks (new window opens) -> Import and Backup -> Backup (or Restore -> Choose file... when restoring the JSON file)

Extension copying:
Copy your "/profile_directory/extensions" directory to your new profile. Also copy "/profile_directory/prefs.js". I'd just copy the extensions folder and reconfigure your extensions though, because your prefs.js file may be hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006

Fallen Rib
Still no mention of 13.0b1, no candidates even. I guess they have until the end of the day, but it's still a bit strange.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006

Fallen Rib

hope and vaseline posted:

If anyone just installed Windows 8 and hates how Firefox looks on it, this theme is fantastic.

http://luxorus.deviantart.com/art/Firefox-Ribbon-UI-version-1-3-2-BETA-332605718

Thanks, this is awesome!

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006

Fallen Rib

Install Gentoo posted:

What is the best extension for forcing a page to allow the browser to save username and password? The library system I use has the whatever thing set so firefox won't remember the password and I want to get past that.

I use a bookmarklet for this:
code:
javascript:(function(){var%20ca,cea,cs,df,dfe,i,j,x,y;function%20n(i,what){return%20i+"%20"+what+((i==1)?"":"s")}ca=cea=cs=0;df=document.forms;for(i=0;i<df.length;++i){x=df[i];dfe=x.elements;if(x.onsubmit){x.onsubmit="";++cs;}if(x.attributes["autocomplete"]){x.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";++ca;}for(j=0;j<dfe.length;++j){y=dfe[j];if(y.attributes["autocomplete"]){y.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";++cea;}}}alert("Removed%20autocomplete=off%20from%20"+n(ca,"form")+"%20and%20from%20"+n(cea,"form%20element")+",%20and%20removed%20onsubmit%20from%20"+n(cs,"form")+".%20After%20you%20type%20your%20password%20and%20submit%20the%20form,%20the%20browser%20will%20offer%20to%20remember%20your%20password.")})();
Just make a new bookmark and put the code in the Location field.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is it time to talk about which fork of Firefox to migrate to if we want to keep our old XUL addons?

I'm kinda sad about leaving Firefox behind but I tried a couple other browsers these days (Chrome, Vivaldi, etc.) and my workflow is very much tied to certain addons and most importantly the ability to modify the interface via CSS. Plus, I dislike non-GDI font rendering.

I think I may be slightly retarded.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006

Fallen Rib

Desuwa posted:

I bet this is part of the reason they're extending an olive branch in the form of square tabs again, because they know forcing rounded tabs on people without any options would incite enough of their power users that they might actually make a viable fork. It's just pathetic.

This sounds just about right for the new Mozilla. I really don't get what happened to turn the project from a power-user's dream to today's pitiful state. And they just keep making GBS threads on the users that made the browser wildly popular (once upon a time at least) with every new decision :(

Isn't Firefox still built on the work of volunteer programmers? As far as I can tell, lots of devs are still enraged with the whole WebExtensions thing. What's keeping them (other than the mozilla.org infrastructure, I guess) from saying "gently caress Mozilla Corp and their dumbass decisions" and just forking Foxilla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006

Fallen Rib

FRINGE posted:

Do they really look at their plummeting userbase, read posts like this, and then say "everythings fine, we are smart and good at designing things!"?

I really don't know what else to conclude after seeing Mozilla's behaviour over the last couple of years. Extension devs are even more pissed, first they had to rewrite their addons for e10s, and now Mozilla's forcing yet another API change on them.

See this post from the DownThemAll developer: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/dev-addons/2016-December/002367.html
He's pissed and it shows.