Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«839 »
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Christina lives there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

My Lovely Horse posted:

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Don't, you'll only encourage him

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A garden full of trees, and a pocket full of cheese.

My Lovely Horse posted:

!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

My Lovely Horse posted:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

On a more serious note, it's amazing we finally have a photo of the author of Animorphs.

Nobbler
May 21, 2020

Blistex posted:

Or a contractor who tries to skim some money and installs horizontal sliding windows as vertical sliders.

My house has 4 skylights made out of patio door glass.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Philly's kind of dumb. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not as broken as Baltimore or Detroit or Chicago, but it does a lot of dumb things.

One thing it keeps trying, and failing to do is to "revitalize" its waterfront. I'm not sure that you could ever say the waterfront was vital unless you consider shipyards to be vitality, but that ship has long sailed and there's no way those are coming back. So it keeps trying to turn the waterfront into a destination for tourists and residents.

These schemes are consistently crippled by this obstacle:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Penn's+Landing,+Philadelphia,+PA/@39.9460038,-75.1427007,219m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c6c89046f0ce8b:0xdc775f86056b4066!8m2!3d39.9468286!4d-75.140674

That's right, roads. There's a 6-lane surface street and a huge interstate running right between the city and the waterfront it wants to turn into something.

One of the ideas was to spend $174 million on an "entertainment center" boasting such features as a Cheesecake Factory and a carousel, and then spending more money on a sky tram connecting the waterfront to Camden. Now, there are some obvious problems with this plan. One is that Camden (for those unfamiliar with it) at the time put to "hell" in "benighted hellscape." The place was a crime and drug-ridden wasteland, with the highest homicide rate in the country (three times higher than Philly's and 30% higher than New Orleans), made all the worse by a police force so notoriously corrupt that the state finally got fed up and fired the entire 270-man force and replaced them with county cops. They built a ballpark there that was a financial disaster and lasted only 17 years before it was torn down. Second is that there's already loving huge multimodal bridge which connects the two cities. The idea was that people from south Jersey would park in Camden and tram over to Philly, but see issues one and two immediately above. And to allow the passage of river traffic, this skyway would have required towers 250' tall. Almost none of this happened.

The Delaware River Port Authority (another organization whose depths of corruption cannot be plumbed with any technology known to man) initially promised that the entire tramway could be built for $15 million. By 2004, the estimate had increased to $46 million, there were whispers that it could balloon further to $100 million, and an amount of money which is still unknown but was at least $15 million had been spent on nothing more than paper and a large concrete pi which was to serve as footing for one of the tram towers.

It stood there unmolested and undisturbed looming over the parking lot like a sullen trigonometry professor for 20 years. Until today.

Maybe now we can build a monorail. Or a Popsicle stick skyscraper. Or that escalator to nowhere.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I have lived in my house for over 10 years and one bedroom has always had an annoying creaky and wobbly floor board and holes just inside one doorway which I have put up with because initially I rented the room out and then because I am lazy.

I finally ripped the carpet and underlay out fully today and found that at some point before I owned it a floor board was violently removed and the resulting hole was partially patched with a cut and flattened baked bean tin. No attempt was made to fix down the boards around it. (might not be a baked bean tin but it is definitely some sort of canned food and i'm in the north of the UK so beans are likely)

I felt that house repairs using food cans probably belonged in this thread.

«839 »