Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait, you're allowed to bury a DC power supply? Isn't that against nec 314.29?

Good point on the bed - though it's permanently affixed to the house. Is there an exemption for that that I don't remember because I've never considered doing such a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

I've got oven lights and lava lamps/heat lamps. Other than ye ol farmer trick of shoving one in the well house/chicken coop so nothing freezes, which is replicable with heat tape, I'm not sure I'm coming up with any others.
That's basically my list as well. High-temperature applications where getting LEDs to survive isn't worth the trouble and the lava lamp/Easy Bake Oven type use cases where the waste heat is being put to use.

Man, if I ever have kids they're going to have no idea what my Creepy Crawlies oven was about.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If I make code-violating stairs, all I have to do is toss a mattress at the top? This changes everything.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

sleepy gary posted:

If I make code-violating stairs, all I have to do is toss a mattress at the top? This changes everything.

Might want to put one at the bottom, too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wolrah posted:

and the lava lamp/Easy Bake Oven type use cases where the waste heat is being put to use.

This also can include external lighting in areas where you need to melt off snow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blistex posted:

A client has been putting the LED pot lights in her home. There are six lights that string together and then into the DC power source. While I really like them, I would hate to have to tear open a ceiling to replace the power supply if it ever died.

That shouldn't be necessary. Well designed ones have a power supply that fits through the same rough opening you need for the lights. I just installed 10 of these:

kastein posted:

Not when it's an assembly apparently. I'm as surprised as you on this, but it's like...super common on these style LEDs now. Floating boxes everywhere. But I bet it has everything to do with the fact that they fit through the rough opening of the fixture they supply (i.e. are part of a listed assembly).

Tunicate posted:

This also can include external lighting in areas where you need to melt off snow.

I have LED up lights around trees here and they absolutely get warm enough to melt off snow. I can wait the extra 45 minutes rather than steaming it off in 2.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

kastein posted:

Not sure, didn't install them.

These are them. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/illume-essential-4-inch-led-white-recessed-panel-light-12-pack-3000k-ic-rated-energy-star-/1001062803

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The box fits through the rough opening, same as the 2" ones I installed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm assuming it's leading up to a bed, so is exempt.

Based on content in this thread, it's probably the only access to the open plan toilet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Motronic posted:

Not when it's an assembly apparently. I'm as surprised as you on this, but it's like...super common on these style LEDs now. Floating boxes everywhere. But I bet it has everything to do with the fact that they fit through the rough opening of the fixture they supply (i.e. are part of a listed assembly).

I'm pretty sure that's spot on, since old style cans had the jbox hidden up inside the ceiling too.

They didn't just.... flop around up there though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I'm pretty sure that's spot on, since old style cans had the jbox hidden up inside the ceiling too.

They didn't just.... flop around up there though.

Yeah...they're were at least solidly attached, even in old work cans. This is a whole new kind of special.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah I dunno wtf with those lights but as long as they're installed with a long enough fixture whip to pull it out through the hole from the lamp I guess it meets code? Kind of?

If I put those in my house I'd mount the supply with some kind of a clip I could release one handed and blind, or put in an access panel for it.

Or just find a way to locate it in unfinished basement space. Probably wouldn't cost much extra in cabling even.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Yeah I dunno wtf with those lights but as long as they're installed with a long enough fixture whip to pull it out through the hole from the lamp I guess it meets code? Kind of?

If I put those in my house I'd mount the supply with some kind of a clip I could release one handed and blind, or put in an access panel for it.

Or just find a way to locate it in unfinished basement space. Probably wouldn't cost much extra in cabling even.

Not kind of, it's accessible by removing a panel. The panel just happens to be a fixture.

That being said, I just watched a Lithonia lighting video on installing one and if I found that setup in my house I'd think it's the hinkiest poo poo ever. Not mounting the boxes, no cable clamp on the entry, no securing the cable to the wall outside of the transformer. Just loose Romex on a ceiling with a loose box hanging out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

You anchor the romex as close to the fixture hole as possible, then just yank the whole shebang out the hole.

It's hinky, but it's what they decided to go for, some of them have a really neat feature where the fixture is 1/2" thick, so you can mount them.under joists.

A lot of LED cans still come with the driver firmly attached to the fixture, like old-school retro cans.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tunicate posted:

IIRC Technology Connections actually did a video on exactly this topic in the context of traffic lights. I don't feel like finding it right now but IIRC the tl;dw version is that you're still wasting so much power during all the time that you don't need to melt snow that you'd be better off using light fixtures with heating elements that can be powered only when necessary.

Also as Motronic noted most LED lights still get warm enough to melt snow when constantly powered, it just takes a bit longer than an incandescent, so even the heating elements are mostly for signal lights and other non-continuous applications.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kastein posted:

That also violates code on both slope (way too steep) and no railing where stair nosing is beyond 30" AFFL.

Oh, and the 4in test sphere rule regarding riser openings, for that matter.

E: I can't see from this angle but I wouldn't bet on it having acceptable headroom either. Or light switches for the room the stairs are in at both ends of the stairs. Or...

I wonder if it is classed as a ladder rather than stairs? Access to an attic or loft is sometimes a ladder.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

From this goon's post.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

jesus christ

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is so terrible I love it and it preserved for all time.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's like two doublewides in a trench coat trying to sneak into the parade of homes

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Can't stress enough that building prices are going up and you should be buying well before the weather is nice. Just ordered my shingles, and got in before the 15% increase we're seeing in my area.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/thebestofzillow/status/1379587496732880896

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

My most cringe experience as an architecture intern was redesigning part of a rich dude's Colorado mansion. The old bathroom had a sunken giant tub/spa thing (I think 8x8) but he wanted to turn it into a large, weird office with old-west woodwork and we turned the sunken tub into a sort of office pit area (yeah he wanted that).

But the bathroom needed to go somewhere, next door to another smaller room. Since his office would be wood paneled, he insisted that the panels be door sized and one could swing open...to reveal the shower stall in the adjacent bathroom so he could open it whenever he wanted to watch people shower :barf:.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I read Master bedroom first and I thought it was awesome. Now that I see it's a bathroom..... I hate it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
*Making out on a lady with the couch*
"How does a sexy bath together sound?"
*30 seconds of garage door noises*

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Blindeye posted:

My most cringe experience as an architecture intern was redesigning part of a rich dude's Colorado mansion. The old bathroom had a sunken giant tub/spa thing (I think 8x8) but he wanted to turn it into a large, weird office with old-west woodwork and we turned the sunken tub into a sort of office pit area (yeah he wanted that).

But the bathroom needed to go somewhere, next door to another smaller room. Since his office would be wood paneled, he insisted that the panels be door sized and one could swing open...to reveal the shower stall in the adjacent bathroom so he could open it whenever he wanted to watch people shower :barf:.

Do architects not have ethics

If you see “rape room” on a design doc do you make sure to detail adequate soundproofing

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Why does that door lock from the outside?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
You're going to want these restraints fastened into an engineered beam.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Devor posted:

Do architects not have ethics

If you see “rape room” on a design doc do you make sure to detail adequate soundproofing

No two-way mirror, just a glass wall behind the panel/door. He claimed it was to see his wife. For all I knew he was a weird old swinger dude. I'll be honest, at the time criminality never came to mind

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If you’re in to radios LED bulbs can cause RF Interference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blugu64 posted:

All easily manageable by not buying cheap bulbs or one of several other methods. Absolutely not an excuse to keep incandescents.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

blugu64 posted:

If you are buying proper equipment with appropriate emf or emc compliance rather than a cheap Amazon job which might be illegal to use in your country due to these emissions and thus never cheap out on your essential equipment.

Note in some countries like the uk there is a relevant iso standard for emf/emc emissions where it’s an actual nuisance to mains timed equipment like electrical meters, street lighting and switchgear.

Edit :-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_EMC_test_standards

https://www.emcstandards.co.uk/emc-testing

For further reading

spiky butthole fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 7, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

blugu64 posted:

Will this interfere with bluetooth/cellphones? Whenever I go down to my workbench on the phone, my BT headset goes dotty and drops the connection. Sometimes the phone gets weird also. I have a very early (6-YO) set of LED tubes retrofitted to my shop flourescent worklight; I also have (what was) a very expensive & heavy 5-YO Philips bulb in a nearby fixture.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

our place has barn door to the bedroom bc there's no room for a real door to open. ugh, small space living.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Will this interfere with bluetooth/cellphones? Whenever I go down to my workbench on the phone, my BT headset goes dotty and drops the connection. Sometimes the phone gets weird also. I have a very early (6-YO) set of LED tubes retrofitted to my shop flourescent worklight; I also have (what was) a very expensive & heavy 5-YO Philips bulb in a nearby fixture.

If they're spattering the 2.4/2.5 gHz ISM bands with noise, they sure can. Just one set then the other off next time things start going to hell and you'll know pretty quick which one is the culprit.

A lot of these issues end up being the power lines going to them acting like an antenna, which can be fixed by wrapping the power coming in around ferrite cores.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
That reminds me that I need to make a note to string a wire over my roof before I lay down the shingles for my old stereo's antenna. I did it in my previous home when I replaced the roof and it worked like a charm and was weather proof and invisible.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

yes they converted the balcony to a half-bath

from a very badly remodeled 2BR 1BA trying to be a 4BR 5BA. The other two rooms upstairs had their closets turned into half baths; there's a full bath on the first floor attached to a small room and then a 3/4 bath in the basement where there are no legal bedrooms.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2010-NE-54th-St-Seattle-WA-98105/48786755_zpid/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Thank God, I cannot tell you how many times I wanted a wide balcony in front of me as I take a poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I appreciate the good size mirror above the sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

they did all that flipper poo poo but then couldn't be bothered to slap a cheap dishwasher into the kitchen lol