Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’m not an architect, designer, or expert by any means, but I’d imagine part of the issue, at least, is that modern bricks have very little variation in color, size, or shape. They lack, colloquially, “character.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hire some drunks with small hammers to go over the bricks before assembly.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
agreed about the uniformity. the most interesting bricks I get to see semiregularly are on the inside walls of my dentists' office, which is built in an old factory space. the bricks are pretty wildly different in color and composition... a lot of them contain a lot of sand, and a couple of them are almost pure kaolin (so they're whitish instead of rusty).

maybe the color, too. most modern brickwork is in that... uh, dark brick-orange to dark brick-red range. or maybe it's even just the bricks themselves aging... I'm pretty sure that the iron in them continues to oxidize as time goes on.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Also those could be factory built panels of concrete backed brickwork that are hung off the frame of a commercial building in big prefab sections, hence the uniformity and blandness. Not universally true but definitely popular for large structures when you want a brick facade.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Also those could be factory built panels of concrete backed brickwork that are hung off the frame of a commercial building in big prefab sections, hence the uniformity and blandness. Not universally true but definitely popular for large structures when you want a brick facade.

I’m gonna assume it’s this, because there’s an absurdly large amount of brick-laying patterns and variations out there thanks to regional tastes and historical fads. English bond, Flemish diagonal, Dutch pyramidal etc etc.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blindeye posted:

I've done this, it sucks. Brick doesn't travel well. It's better to just stack it in place.

It works great in precast concrete on parking garages and buildings though. Of course that is very thin brick and doesn't have much in common with brick. Just a brick look.

That all just looks like a uniform set of brick with a tight color range. Give it some time to weather and the contrast of the mortar will fade, and some areas will fade or get dirty, but that's about it. I think it looks nice.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Fruits of the sea posted:

I’m gonna assume it’s this, because there’s an absurdly large amount of brick-laying patterns and variations out there thanks to regional tastes and historical fads. English bond, Flemish diagonal, Dutch pyramidal etc etc.

You can see the seams in the third picture too where the panels meet up. The houses are likely normal brick (can't hang panels off stick construction) but the commercial building is 1000% precast.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blindeye posted:

You can see the seams in the third picture too where the panels meet up. The houses are likely normal brick (can't hang panels off stick construction) but the commercial building is 1000% precast.

I doubt that's precast.

Those are control joints for the brick since it's a long wall. Generally every 30' or so. Perfectly under the corner of the window is an ideal place for that since cracks propagate from corners.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Diffuser works great this way diffuses the air into the drop ceiling.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Those look like the cheapest variation on brick veneer, to me

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
There are companies for hire that will tint/dye/stain bricks to break up the monotony or blend in repair work.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Obligatory plug for the 99% Invisible episode about the old brick houses in St. Louis being torn down by brick thieves, because the old bricks are in high demand due to being more interesting and weathered. It's a really a podcast, but there's an article with pictures, too.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/dollhouses-st-louis/

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I suspect the reason we think brick looks good is not really that brick is innately nice - it's just ok. It's more that what we think of as a typical brick building was built in a time and style that included some ornamentation and flourishes even on utilitarian buildings.

Kind of like brutalism but in reverse: most plain concrete slab buildings are ugly in a way that makes me hope they were at least cheap. Some gems exist, but they are not our default association for untreated concrete.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

drat, son.
https://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/sinkhole-appears-in-floor-of-ramat-gan-living-room/2021/04/20/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I've never been happier to live on a solid chunk of rock.
Also I checked the Hebrew language news sites and there are still no new updates on this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Amazing that they live on the third floor :eyepop:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
oh loving no

(Stolen from a group I run on Facebook)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kastein posted:

oh loving no

plumbers.jpg

EDIT: I think my favorite part is the 3" deep cut for some 1~0.75" OD pipe.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 2, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure if you'd just drilled through the joists in the middle with a big enough bit, you could have run those pipes through with less work, and to code!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

oh loving no

:eyepop:

Nope.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm pretty sure if you'd just drilled through the joists in the middle with a big enough bit, you could have run those pipes through with less work, and to code!

Should have used one of those drill bits that looks like it's covered in ball bearings.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 2, 2021

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Should have used one of those drill bits that looks like it's covered in ball bearings.

Drill... bits. Right. :stare:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No flared base so they're drill bits

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

Drill... bits. Right. :stare:

Sounds about right. :razz:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Wood rasps. So what?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CarForumPoster posted:

plumbers.jpg

EDIT: I think my favorite part is the 3" deep cut for some 1~0.75" OD pipe.

My favorite part is the use of nails as pipe hangers

"If the owner ever sees this work, I'm not getting paid, so why make any effort"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I literally shouted "ohhhohoh yyYYYEEEAHHHH" as I copy/pasted that to my interior designer sister, thanks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

So close.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Needs a ring on one of the pieces of siding.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

This could be purely personal preference, but can someone with better understanding of design explain to me why this new style of brick sucks so much? Is it because, unlike older brickwork, there aren't any architectural flourishes to offset the extremely rectangular shape of the facade? Maybe it's the tiny bricks? I see this everywhere in newish construction and can't quite place why I dislike it so much. It looks like someone put a uniform placeholder texture over a wall in a 3D modeling program and then the masons copied it verbatim. I really like older brickwork so I know it isn't just "I hate brick".

bonus visibility on the right just above the siding

are these even brick buildings? it wouldn't surprise me if these are just decorative brick cladding, or some kind of brick-looking EIFS

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I have questions.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I have questions.

its soundproofing, which is an essential part of any wine cellar.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Slanderer posted:

I thought masonry was the preferred soundproofing to hide dead bodies in wine cellars. I read it in a story once

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I thought it was a bathroom and the wine glasses were a David Lynchian touch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are these even brick buildings? it wouldn't surprise me if these are just decorative brick cladding, or some kind of brick-looking EIFS

The first and last ones appear to be actual brick, just in a boring rear end running bond pattern. The two in the middle are facades.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slanderer posted:

They misread, soundproofing is for the whine cellar.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have one, there's no way in hell you're going to get anything resembling those example pictures out of one. Maybe the second one if you get supremely lucky and it binds the first moment you touch it to wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dareon posted:

I have one, there's no way in hell you're going to get anything resembling those example pictures out of one. Maybe the second one if you get supremely lucky and it binds the first moment you touch it to wood.

They sort of looks like they're trying to walk the line between forsner/conical/auger/hole saw bits and actual saws.

Imo, anything that requires more accuracy than a zip or jig saw probably requires a router or dremel tool.