Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SyNack Sassimov posted:

In a Zojirushi-possessing house for a minimal energy expenditure you can dispense 208 degree water at any time for any reason, triple checkmate on everyone. (Or hit reboil and wait 30 seconds if you really need 212 degree water).

Oh poo poo, can’t come back from a triple checkmate.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I find these kettle debates loving stupid

Me too, i just wanted to rile up people who care about two extra minutes to boil water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp
Is a 240v kettle outlet worth it? I'm already running a 240v circuit for a dual fuel range. So I could do a second outlet. I'm intrigued, but then I feel like doing it would make me the weird PO

But think of how much time you'd save over a year

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would totally do it, but we have to acknowledge that it’s quite weird.

Maybe put the outlet somewhere where it could be repurposed for one of those overpriced microwave/convection ovens.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Actually kind of impressive. Though you know someone's gonna injure themselves on it in the dark.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

GotLag posted:

(we have switches on appliances as well as on the sockets)

Personally I'd rather have an extra switch than a switch less, much like how with water you can never have too many valves for selective closing of things.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dareon posted:

Oh yes, of course, how stupid of me, how could I, an Amerigun, living in Agunica, land of GUN, fail to realize that the pre-crafted meme I found in ten seconds of googling and provided as a supplement to my humorous statement was not in fact wholly accurate to the statement I had just made about an ironic misparsing that had just occurred? How flagrantly lazy of me not to go acquire a number of comically inappropriate fusing materials and construct my own meme. Surely that would have been a fulfilling and appropriate amount of effort to go through to make a handful of people chuckle softly.

Dick.
Wow, someone needs counselling for anger issues.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Blue Moonlight posted:

Oh poo poo, can’t come back from a triple checkmate.
Me too, i just wanted to rile up people who care about two extra minutes to boil water.

Well isn't this the pot calling the kettle 120.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

I'm gonna agree with most of this, but also make sure you know we didn't choose the "wrong voltage". Every house in the us has 220/240 via split phase. A considered safety decision was made to supply only the things that really need that fault current with 240. Things like stoves and electric dryers and other high load devices like air conditioners. All you need to have 240 in the US is to grab two opposite hots rather than a hot and a neutral. You don't even need to rewire from an outlet for this to happen because it's the same number of conductors.

There is also an efficiency and resource use argument to be made for 240V, since you can use thinner wiring than with 120V, because the amperage for any given amount of power is going to be half.

One thing I also noticed is that PC power supplies (and presumably all switching power supplies) are a bit more efficient at 240V than they are at 120V.

It's a small absolute difference, but everything adds up when you're looking at large numbers of installations.

You made the choice in the US to have more outlets with a lower maximum power output each, which is not in itself a bad decision, if you have enough cheap copper. Here we made the choice to have fewer outlets overall, but higher voltage and higher power with lower amperage, which meant less copper was needed.

Germany made the choice to standardize hard on grounded outlets with their Schuko system, no ungrounded outlets allowed anywhere. A third more copper needed, but for massive gains in safety, especially since switches are not required there. Only tiny devices like phone chargers are allowed to use the little ungrounded Euro plug.

Neither is automatically a bad choice, and honestly the only things I dislike about the US system are the mediocre plugs and the way too skinny extension cords, where you have to keep in mind the total amperage needed yourself.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 2, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vim Fuego posted:

Is a 240v kettle outlet worth it? I'm already running a 240v circuit for a dual fuel range. So I could do a second outlet. I'm intrigued, but then I feel like doing it would make me the weird PO

Having met many American tourists and workers over the years, the one thing they always love about coming here is how things like the kettle and clothes iron get hot almost instantly compared to back home.

It's not a huge difference, but it's certainly a quality of life thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At least a hundred and twenty volts made some sense for safety, especially in a time before RCDs.

Going with fifty hertz was just boneheaded. The rationale was literally “it’s a rounder number”, and it is, but now all your transformers and motors are larger, as are modern switch-mode power supplies, and your lamps flicker a little bit worse.

Not worth it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Platystemon posted:

Going with fifty hertz was just boneheaded. The rationale was literally “it’s a rounder number”

Lol at that, even the Babylonians knew that 60's where it's at

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Who cares about what's available at a single outlet anyway. In the land of the free, it's common for most houses to be wired up with 48kVA (240 @ 200A) available. Suck on that, other countries.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

Who cares about what's available at a single outlet anyway. In the land of the free, it's common for most houses to be wired up with 48kVA (240 @ 200A) available. Suck on that, other countries.

Some larger homes are being built with 400A these days.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

stevewm posted:

Some larger homes are being built with 400A these days.

Your average McMansion can make do with 200A. It's when you get over 2500sq ft that you start getting into 300A+ territory.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol, just lol, if you can’t operate an arc furnace in your kitchen

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Platystemon posted:

lol, just lol, if you can’t operate an arc furnace in your kitchen

Or have your own personal DC fast charger for your electric car.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
*marks several thousand posts read*

I see the crappy construction thread is right where I left it. Excellent.

For the record 120v is bad.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Hang on let me plug in my 12w phone charger.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

You get a good microwave and you can boil that water in a minute and thirty seconds.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

At least a hundred and twenty volts made some sense for safety, especially in a time before RCDs.

Going with fifty hertz was just boneheaded. The rationale was literally “it’s a rounder number”, and it is, but now all your transformers and motors are larger, as are modern switch-mode power supplies, and your lamps flicker a little bit worse.

Not worth it.

When my family moved to Zurich from Philadelphia in 1970, we bought a number of transformers of various sizes/capacities to operate the appliances we brought with us, principally a Sears refrigerator and a huge Philco upright freezer.

TV couldn't work properly - we were able to get certain pictures, but no sound. We bought an ITT Oceanic from a family moving back to Ireland. My Dad bought a new turntable because the US one he had wouldn't run right on 50hz (when we moved home in 1977, he had his Dual 1210 motor replaced with a 110V. I still have that turntable).

The funniest thing was when my Mom forgot that the Electrolux vacuum cleaner had to be run through the transformer. My dad had changed the plug to a Swiss (Euro) plug to dispense with the physical adapter. Mom plugged it into the wall and it ran like a raped ape for about 30-seconds.

I still have one of the transformers; use it to run a raclette cooker.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

PainterofCrap posted:

it ran like a raped ape for about 30-seconds.

:stare: Like a what now?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dareon posted:

Actually kind of impressive. Though you know someone's gonna injure themselves on it in the dark.
Sorry, this belongs in the "Spectacular construction" thread. Those miters!

PainterofCrap posted:

When my family moved to Zurich from Philadelphia in 1970, we bought a number of transformers of various sizes/capacities to operate the appliances we brought with us, principally a Sears refrigerator and a huge Philco upright freezer.

TV couldn't work properly - we were able to get certain pictures, but no sound.
That's because European* televisions use a different analog encoding for pictures. Americans use NTSC (lovingly known as Never Twice The Same Color) and Europeans* use PAL. This is also why you couldn't buy videotapes from the UK/Japan unless you also bought a transcoding tape recorder.

(settles back to watch Region 2 Touch of Frost episodes in blissful digital encoding).

* it's way more complex than that, but European will do for this case

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 2, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Your family paid to move a refrigerator and upright freezer overseas?? Did they just not believe that Switzerland had working appliances?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Enos Cabell posted:

Your family paid to move a refrigerator and upright freezer overseas?? Did they just not believe that Switzerland had working appliances?

Quite common in southern Norway in the 50s and 60s, too - US appliances were genuinely nicer for a period after the war. It didn't help that Norway still had random shortages and rationing for longer than you'd think after the Germans left. My grandfather's family is from down there, and we still have a cabin in the area. There was a long period where a majority of the working population had, at some point, lived in the US; there's a book about it called "with 110V in the house". (If you bring enough gear, it's apparently easier to just put a large transformer somewhere and run wiring for both.)

My great-grandfather was one of them; he built houses somewhere in NY state in the 20s and 30s, before he married a nice NYC lady of Bavarian ancestry and took her back to Norway.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 2, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's wild, I'd have thought by the 70s things would have normalized a bit on that front. I know people that practically gave away fridges and freezers rather than deal with moving them across town, much less across an ocean.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Gold doesn't need to be kept cold

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

Hutla posted:

:stare: Like a what now?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=raped%20ape

It's an old car guy term, usually for something with an overpowered motor

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Enos Cabell posted:

That's wild, I'd have thought by the 70s things would have normalized a bit on that front. I know people that practically gave away fridges and freezers rather than deal with moving them across town, much less across an ocean.

The 70s seems a little bit late by Norwegian standards, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out, either.

(Oh, and far off topic but sort of relevant still: There's an American Festival down there every summer. It's ... weird.)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

My parents also threw a bunch of household stuff into a container and moved it across the atlantic back in 1980. Maybe the price structure for stuff was different back then. You were probably less likely to think of your furniture and appliances as essentially disposable?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There are apparently countries in Europe where as late as the 60s voltage wasn't completely standardized yet and depending on what house you lived in you'd have 127v or 220v.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Enos Cabell posted:

My dad had done recon. In 1970, the refrigerator in our leased home was an under-the-counter the size of a dorm fridge.

My mom quickly got into the swing of European grocery-getting, but still, we consumed a lot of milk (we kids were dragooned into walking down a steep hill & buying milk from the guy that picked up & processed the local dairy farmer's production: he would pick up the milk at 3:30, and return at 6:00 or so with a cask of cold milk, and pick up the 2nd round of raw milk from the farmers) and a poo poo-ton of meat was kept in the freezer.

Even so, my dad was running a lab in Dielsdorf and consequently hosted a lot of parties, so Mom had to do a lot of food prep. Also, you can't keep a Thanksgiving turkey in a Miele under-counter. Plus, the avocado Sears Coldspot had an icemaker.

(the Coldspot, with transformer, sits behind my mildly annoyed sister in our kitchen in Cannes in 1976)

Once, the Coldspot broke. The Swiss appliance repairman that came to service it gazed at it like it was the Queen Mary. He asked my Mom if she was running a restaurant. He was blown away by the icemaker.

Enos Cabell posted:

In 1975, in Cannes, an appliance store had a GE refrigerator in the display window with a 15000-franc price tag (about $2500 at the time). It was still there when we moved in 1977.

aphid_licker posted:

My parents also threw a bunch of household stuff into a container and moved it across the atlantic back in 1980. Maybe the price structure for stuff was different back then. You were probably less likely to think of your furniture and appliances as essentially disposable?

Oh god absolutely. My parents had to save for years to get the Coldspot. The excitement level was right up there with when Dad came come with a new station wagon in 1966. The icemaker was a relatively new thing then. My parents were both big drinkers...

The 1960 Philco freezer was older than I was. That thing was replaced in 2005, and only because the chassis rusted out. It was still freezing just fine.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 2, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

PainterofCrap posted:

(the Coldspot, with transformer, sits behind my mildly annoyed sister in our kitchen in Cannes in 1976)

Once, the Coldspot broke. The Swiss appliance repairman that came to service it gazed at it like it was the Queen Mary. He asked my Mom if she was running a restaurant. He was blown away by the icemaker.

hahaha, that's great

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

PainterofCrap posted:

My dad had done recon. In 1970, the refrigerator in our leased home was an under-the-counter the size of a dorm fridge.

My mom quickly got into the swing of European grocery-getting, but still, we consumed a lot of milk (we kids were dragooned into walking down a steep hill & buying milk from the guy that picked up & processed the local dairy farmer's production: he would pick up the milk at 3:30, and return at 6:00 or so with a cask of cold milk, and pick up the 2nd round of raw milk from the farmers) and a poo poo-ton of meat was kept in the freezer.

Even so, my dad was running a lab in Dielsdorf and consequently hosted a lot of parties, so Mom had to do a lot of food prep. Also, you can't keep a Thanksgiving turkey in a Miele under-counter. Plus, the avocado Sears Coldspot had an icemaker.

In 1975, in Cannes, an appliance store had a GE refrigerator in the display window with a 15000-franc price tag (about $2500 at the time). It was still there when we moved in 1977.
Oh god absolutely. My parents had to save for years to get the Coldspot. The excitement level was right up there with when Dad came come with a new station wagon in 1966. The icemaker was a relatively new thing then. My parents were both big drinkers...

The 1960 Philco freezer was older than I was. That thing was replaced in 2005, and only because the chassis rusted out. It was still freezing just fine.

Are you the oldest goon?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I love your stories man.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mds2 posted:

Are you the oldest goon?

Nope. 62 here.

PainterofCrap, wow, was your sister chic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nope. 62 here.

PainterofCrap, wow, was your sister chic.

Dang, I thought I was closer to being Old Goon (I knew I wasn't Oldest - I just thought I wasn't far off). You've beat me by a decade.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Dang, I thought I was closer to being Old Goon (I knew I wasn't Oldest - I just thought I wasn't far off). You've beat me by a decade.

You're still old if that helps. Practically fossilized.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

StormDrain posted:

You're still old if that helps. Practically fossilized.

The goon who is so old he cannot move. He cannot eat. He cannot sleep. He can just barely growl. Bound so tightly with tension and anger, he approaches the state of rigor mortis.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:rotor:

r: Wait what the gently caress? I was sure there was a :rotor: smiley?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
we have :corsair: idk what :rotor: is supposed to be