Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1442961083459792900?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

B-Nasty posted:

Usually not long if they've marked utilities. Around here, the utility markings are only valid for 2 weeks, so you don't want to be digging after they expire.

2 weeks? Goddam that ain't poo poo!
Don't know where the OP is, but around here (Toronto area) most are good for at least 30 days, many are now going to 60 days validity, a few are 90 days, and some (Bell Telephone) are good for "the life of the project", dependent on certain conditions being met.
Most likely those are for a geotechnical investigation which precedes most home construction.
Depending on timelines, if they do the geotech, it may be a few weeks to a few months before they start digging.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The gas valve on my water heater crapped out a month after the warranty expired

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I went camping last weekend and at this particular state park they've converted some of the sites to rentable cabins but seemingly they just did this to hook up to the power mains

Like maybe it's all legal and up to code but it sure looks sketchy to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I went camping last weekend and at this particular state park they've converted some of the sites to rentable cabins but seemingly they just did this to hook up to the power mains

That looks like an adapter someone left there. Open the box. There should be an outlet or outlet(s), same as every RV camp site with power since that was a thing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Motronic posted:

That looks like an adapter someone left there. Open the box. There should be an outlet or outlet(s), same as every RV camp site with power since that was a thing.

Yeah the site I was at (adjacent to this one) had the same power setup but this one just had a buried line coming out of the ground that ran to the cabin.

E: that thing isn't just hanging there. It goes into the dirt.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Ah, the gender reveal cabin.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

there are entirely too many ceiling lights in this house
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1856-Foothill-Blvd-La-Canada-Flintridge-CA-91011/82829198_zpid/

every room is like this

bonus ridiculous kitchen

quote:

LISTED BY ORDER OF U.S. BANKRUPTCY COURT.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gonna see all the greebles on that kitchen island in my nightmares

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
thats an expensive range hood they've got there but the stove top isn't

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1856-Foothill-Blvd-La-Canada-Flintridge-CA-91011/82829198_zpid/

every room is like this

bonus ridiculous kitchen

> stop buying ceiling lights

no

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

thats an expensive range hood they've got there but the stove top isn't

Gotta admit, I'm jealous as hell of that range hood. Looks like you could roast a pig on a spit under that without smoking up the next room.

Of course, given what thread it's in, even money it vents into the attic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Range hood looks like you need to start it like a lawn mower.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

I hope the money this GC made off of this allowed him to never have to build anything ever again

10/10 grift, well done

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said before: never buy a house from an electrician.

Source: landlord is an electrician.

Previous owner of the house I grew up in was the local electrical inspector. Later on when I was helping out my dad, doing electrical work, I was amazed at how lovely all the work was.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

every room is like this

bonus ridiculous kitchen

When I go into the kitchen at 2am for some olives and turn on the lights

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Youth Decay posted:

bonus ridiculous kitchen

I was looking at the two different cabinet finishes which I dislike, and I noticed some distortion. What's with the ramp up into the next room? Awful.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

StormDrain posted:

I was looking at the two different cabinet finishes which I dislike, and I noticed some distortion. What's with the ramp up into the next room? Awful.

Can you imagine cleaning the inevitable pasta sauce or coffee spatter out of those faux carvings? Maddening. Floor is cheap bamboo, I wonder if the carvings are plastic.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Youth Decay posted:

every room is like this

bonus ridiculous kitchen

I don't know, this just kinda screams lottery winner and building a custom house but not really knowing what they want, just as long as its expensive.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Youth Decay posted:

every room is like this

bonus ridiculous kitchen

I like a lot of lights. My apartment has nowhere near enough light and no good way to install more feasibly, and it's one of the things that bothers me most about the place. "Good lighting" is high on things I look for.

This is still too much lighting.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Some more OC for ya, the ol hot glue gun and towel trick. Hard to not laugh when you see this poo poo irl

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Some more OC for ya, the ol hot glue gun and towel trick. Hard to not laugh when you see this poo poo irl

but why?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

They decided to remove the switch, which means 2/3 of the screws for the faceplate no longer attach to anything, and combined with the lovely mechanical attachment that most new-construction receptacle boxes are emplaced with, id imagine the whole thing wiggles around in the wall, so they tried to fix it.

I loving hate the mechanical and trim portions of electrical work. loving sucks. Drywall sucks. Metal studs suck. It all sucks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MrYenko posted:

They decided to remove the switch, which means 2/3 of the screws for the faceplate no longer attach to anything, and combined with the lovely mechanical attachment that most new-construction receptacle boxes are emplaced with, id imagine the whole thing wiggles around in the wall, so they tried to fix it.

I loving hate the mechanical and trim portions of electrical work. loving sucks. Drywall sucks. Metal studs suck. It all sucks.

Why wouldn't they just get a new cover plate that they do make for that, or leave the unattached switch in the wall? They went with the most effort and worst outcome.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MrYenko posted:

Speaking of studs and the mechanical part of electrical work sucking, I was trying to put a box in a very old stud in my basement (probably at least 50 years old?) and it was so hard that as I pounded on the nail the nail bent and deformed rather than going into the wood. I ended up having to drill a cheater piece of new soft 2x4 against the stud, and nail the box into that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FogHelmut posted:

Why wouldn't they just get a new cover plate that they do make for that, or leave the unattached switch in the wall? They went with the most effort and worst outcome.

Previous. Owner.

Lol

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FISHMANPET posted:

Speaking of studs and the mechanical part of electrical work sucking, I was trying to put a box in a very old stud in my basement (probably at least 50 years old?) and it was so hard that as I pounded on the nail the nail bent and deformed rather than going into the wood. I ended up having to drill a cheater piece of new soft 2x4 against the stud, and nail the box into that.

I was reccomended to buy screws for steel when working on older homes and toss any that come with fixtures for the same reason. That old lumber was tough.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

$3.50

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

I like that they have a photo showing you can turn it the other way. I feel like on a bad day I would have a mental block about that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

StormDrain posted:

COMPUTER!

ENHANCE!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Guy Axlerod posted:

I like that they have a photo showing you can turn it the other way. I feel like on a bad day I would have a mental block about that.

Ok yes exactly that but where do you sell the lefts?? I ONLY SEE THE RIGHTS

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

D34THROW posted:

Curious about something - there's an empty lot across the street from me, currently wooded. About 4 or 5 years ago, they cleared out the undergrowth and whatnot, along with a few other blocks on the street. Some (most) of those lots, have been purchased and built on.

I've rather liked having a wooded lot across the street, but a few weeks back, some orange marking showed up on the street. Two corners, around where I figure the property lines would be, with a "12" inside, along with a big X that had a "B" and an "M".

Yesterday, some little green flags showed up along with green markings on the street, all of which indicated the sanitary sewer line. Today, a big ol' arrow with the marking "CATV IN-REAR" is there now too, which I'm assuming points to the cable TV drop a hundred feet back.

My question is this: How long are we looking at here until they start clearcutting the lot and breaking ground? Kids are gonna love looking at the construction vehicles (and frankly so am I) but I feel bad for all the froggies and lizards and squirrels and poo poo that live over there. :sigh:

I don't know where I heard this from, or if I'm confusing this with the ol blair witch story. But you can probably scare off development by burying vast amounts of childrens toys to make them think the place is haunted. [I might be thinking of the BTS tales of how locals scared the poo poo out of the film crew when they were shooting the Children of the Corn movie, way back when.] Either way, ghosts!

Youth Decay posted:

bonus ridiculous kitchen

I don't know why but the lions on the hood range is making me hysterical. Why are they there, and are there two others on the reverse side? What are they guarding? I have never seen such stupid decor before.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
There are absolutely two more lions on the other side, look at the rest of everything

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LonsomeSon posted:

There are absolutely two more lions on the other side, look at the rest of everything

Naw, it’s a facade. As soon as you look from any other angle, you’ll see it’s mostly just vinyl siding.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Is there someone in the local area who can find out whether that range hood actually vents to the outside and not the second floor bathroom closet?

Because I would like to place a little wager.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonerGhost posted:

Is there someone in the local area who can find out whether that range hood actually vents to the outside and not the second floor bathroom closet?

Because I would like to place a little wager.

I've got a range hood that doesn't vent. Or, I guess, it might vent into the space between the wall behind the stove and my spice cabinet.

e: They could've vented it up the chimney, as the kitchen used to have a wood-fired oven (house built in 1876), but that would've required :effort: (I'm guessing it was the same guys who removed the fireplace in the spare room, and covered the hole in the wall to the chimney with a piece of cardboard cut from a case of Lapin Kulta lager jesus-taped to the wall and painted over with white spray paint.)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 30, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is Jesus taping when you pray it stays there?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Is Jesus taping when you pray it stays there?

I can't believe this ended up :nws: even though I didn't use BingTM

https://i.imgur.com/S1XgZeM.png

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Question: Wouldn't venting a kitchen hood into a chimney just add a ton of flammable grease to the inside of the chimney, as I doubt you'll have enough pressure to push the grease all the way out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

Question: Wouldn't venting a kitchen hood into a chimney just add a ton of flammable grease to the inside of the chimney, as I doubt you'll have enough pressure to push the grease all the way out?

What would it matter? Also you could add a top fan (or whatever they're called in English) to the... top of the chimney. It would be nice in Summer anyway.