Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
.22 shells have definitely made it in the books for auto-castration. Darwin appreciates your auto electrical skills, cowpoke.

:synpa:

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

.22 shells have definitely made it in the books for auto-castration. Darwin appreciates your auto electrical skills, cowpoke.

:synpa:

It's a very old urban legend.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-bullet-fuse/

If the cartridge isn't confined in a barrel of some sort, cooking it off isn't going to give the bullet much velocity by the time it exits the case.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Surely those are .22 LR.

I believe they are .22 Shorts.

:rimshot:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

Care to elaborate on this, or are you just being super brave and edgy here?

how is this edgy lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Motronic posted:

Care to elaborate on this, or are you just being super brave and edgy here?

No part of this is intended to be brave or funny or edgy at all; quite to the contrary it's sad as hell :(

Does the houses subforum need a primer on the housing crisis

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's a big leap from "there's a housing problem in America" to "America is doing literally nothing to address the housing problem". And I'm not being hyperbolic here: you said "if the Saudis build any of that arcology whatsoever, to whatever diminished effect", so you're saying that literally any effort would be more than what's being done in the USA.

Don't get me wrong, housing is a major problem in the US. But hyperbolic doomerism is not helpful. You're not educating anyone, you just sound out of touch with reality.

Having said that: I'm going to bow out of this conversation, because it's really not what this thread is for. I don't have any real content to contribute to the thread, but I did remember recently that Groverhaus was archived on Twitter, so anyone unfamiliar with that saga should go check this out:

https://twitter.com/boldlybuilding2/status/1197999531671130112

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

No part of this is intended to be brave or funny or edgy at all; quite to the contrary it's sad as hell :(

Does the houses subforum need a primer on the housing crisis

No, you're being dumb and hyperbolic.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
dammit that thread is missing the finished kitchen photo with outlets as far as the eye could see

the unfinished kitchen photo doesnt do it justice

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The government of the US is poorly built so when you think about it all politics belongs here as a form of crappy construction, eh?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

*re reads*

I will unequivocally own up to being hyperbolic.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

I thought these were improperly stored tank ammunition or something before taking a closer look, jesus christ...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Placeholder posted:

I thought these were improperly stored tank ammunition or something before taking a closer look, jesus christ...

How much current can a 105mm shell handle?

How much 105mm shell can your panel house handle?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp1ZaFEzZVE

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
As someone who lives in Berkeley, I watch continuously for the earth-shattering kaboom when that piece of poo poo finally falls over.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

It can’t be earthquake safe right? At what point do you have to just pull the plug on something like that?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kaom posted:

It can’t be earthquake safe right? At what point do you have to just pull the plug on something like that?

Here’s a video on it, though it may not answer the earthquake question specifically.

It’s certainly withstood mild earthquakes so far, but no idea if it meets the original spec for earthquake survivability

https://youtu.be/ph9O9yJoeZY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Area man has one weird trick that inspectors HATE!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I mean, I get what he's going for. I'd perhaps go for a smoke detector instead, but I can imagine situations where it would work.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

So the tower is at 29 inches of tilt and its mechanical systems will begin to fail at 40. It's tilting at three inches a year. Tick tock.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

First of May posted:

So the tower is at 29 inches of tilt and its mechanical systems will begin to fail at 40. It's tilting at three inches a year. Tick tock.

It is not tilting at three inches per year.

It is tilting at three inches per quarter.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

TIL that people who tear down a normal 3bd house and put up a 4bd 6ba minimansion are called "scrapers"

It's a very good description of the new builds I'm seeing here in Silicon Valley

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Sirotan posted:

It's kinda hard for me to see what is going on here tbqh but I'm gonna just let you know that clicking through to the imgbb.com site to try and look at larger versions made my corp malware agent go absolutely bonkers. I'd recommend sticking with imgur in the future.

Ugh my bad, I didn’t realize imgbb had gone down the crapware rabbit hole. Most of my junk gets blocked via Pihole and a few browser content blockers.

This is my hvac duct with the line set run through it. For reasons of laziness.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Warmachine posted:

How much 105mm shell can your panel house handle?

Depends mainly on the method of delivery of the shell to the house.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Splode posted:

Depends mainly on the method of delivery of the shell to the house.

Strong username/post synergy here.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

`Nemesis posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/Spa_Eng/status/1551627809973485573?s=20

This is an official project of the Saudi Government

Are you sure that's not a Dahir Insaat design?
Getting "Walled City of Kowloon" vibes here.

PainterofCrap posted:

Oh wow, the world was waiting for another Kowloon City.

So it's not just me!

Leviathan Song posted:

I think the thought process is more analogous to the construction of reservoirs in Oklahoma which. The state has no meaningful natural lakes but has seen a significant increase in humidity since the constructions of a massive network of artificial reservoirs.

Texas has exactly ONE natural lake, just for reference. The Army Corps of Engineers and I guess the WPA built a shitload of manmade lakes through the years.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Darchangel posted:

Are you sure that's not a Dahir Insaat design?
Getting "Walled City of Kowloon" vibes here.

So it's not just me!

Kowloon Wall City

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Is that the one that a billionaire shithead thought up?

Yeah, Charlie Munger. I'm pretty sure it's already been discussed in this thread a while back.

Incidentally, there's now a video tour of a mockup available. Hope you like fluorescent lighting, kids! https://www.news.ucsb.edu/2022/020643/experience-munger-hall-model-house

Selachian fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 29, 2022

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like they just took an existing prison layout and changes things around

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ohtori Akio posted:

deserts have lots of life, especially near large bodies of water, and in fact desert wildlife rules a lot

take a look at the choice real estate this is supposed to be slicing through

Like the Arabian Oryx! My local zoo has some and they're beautiful

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

:discourse:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Electric arc lights

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's a lot of gravity in the room. The lights bend around it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You just need to zoom out a little more to see it's a recreation of the Big Dipper constellation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SpartanIvy posted:

You just need to zoom out a little more to see it's a recreation of the Big Dipper constellation.

Needs Alcor

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

This is why I only install can lights in pairs. Two lights are always in line.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

I see a little silhouetto of a can,
AHJ, AHJ, will you make me use Zinsco!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Matches thread title:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1080181292856236/

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005