Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've always wondered about those huge advertising murals that adorn buildings in New York and LA do they remove paint annually or do they just paint over it hoping it doesn't peel and fall away in huge rock like chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hundreds of layers of paint on top of each other.

I lived by a building that was a designated graffiti area, one wall had been painted over so many times that during winter a large crack appeared in the middle which forced huge layered chunks of paint to fall out that the size of tennis balls. One writer managed to pull off a section the size of manhole cover, it was surprisingly heavy.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm the mannequin dancing on the ceiling.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

Jesus loving Christ what is wrong with people?

Yeah there are better ways to charge batteries.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

You'd be surprised how common that is in terraced housing in the UK, when the width of the property is too thin to accommodate a full landing step it's usually two corner steps.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

If I remember correctly this was installed by some conmen in the early 00's. They blocked the door to the old lady's bedroom with a cardboard box whilst they worked, she only realised what they'd done when she went to bed in the evening.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Another way is using another plug to ram them home, I had a neighbour who had two lamps in a single socket this way, however this was back in the early nineties before the live and neutral prongs had sleeves so he'd twist the cables round the base of the prongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm so so sorry to be the one to tell you this, but 1984 was not 20 years ago, it was 36 years ago. You're old.

He was referring to a plug my neighbour had in early 1990 possibly being 20 years old or more as it predated British Standards introduced in 84.

Anyway, I always assumed it came about in the 90s as having to wire plugs on most electrical appliances was a thing until they made it mandatory that they come pre-wired in 1992, I imagine there was reduction in house fires and eletrocutions...

Being taught how to wire a plug in school and standing on one bearfoot was a rite of passage.