Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

House shopping in Yakima with a seller's market with 1-2% vacancy. Found a nice Spanish-style house a flipper bought from a hoarder and then made some choices in.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/12-Chicago-Ave-Yakima,-WA,-98902_rb/23686259_zpid/

Before:

After:

Other side of that arch, where a big shade tree was removed on south side of flat-roofed house. "The Palm Springs of Washington" gets 320 days of sun a year.

This window is behind the microwave. That blue box is in the top cabinet, where the microwave/charcoal vent is plugged in. The photo was taken from the narrow strip between houses. There is an ancient giant REEM vent above it that I assume would work for a stove if that window didn't exist.

Otherwise it's flipper chic, with the money put into luxuries. There were permits and stuff on the counter, but if I wasn't already hesitant about the flat roof, that microwave window scared me off. There were a lot of instances of lack of care in the finishing, paint spatter on the finished basement floor, and you can see in the listing photo that the drawer under the sink is missing a handle, right next to the fancy tub. The beautiful vaulted ceiling with exposed beams and a 180 degree view of the hills also still has it's external vent/birdhouse and I'm not confident he insulated and sealed that roof correctly. There is a new panel full of 15 amp breakers and outlets in the floor, but the wiring isn't updated? I've seen a few houses with knob and tube still, but couldn't verify what was in the walls.

Check out the price history for a tale of hubris and shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Partially bad pictures, but it jumped up like 1,000 sq feet from the previous listing in 2018, so :shrug: The downstairs space is definitely not efficient; that front lower wall is where they enclosed the garage decades ago, and the ceiling in the garage/room (which looks wavy) is a giant block of concrete. It's like a gunnery nest.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

We just moved into a "craftsman-style" bungalow built in 1920 recently used as a marketing office. The commercial additions are extremely puzzling but not destructive for the most part. I went to the planning office and pulled permits (before the current troubles), but Yakima is kind of the wild west and it has built up 100 years of tumors such as this:

A floating wall with two adjacent doors opening into the same space.

Why? Apparently it was used as an office for 4 people, with facing desks. Why does the wall intersect the molding like a map glitch? Because they couldn't shift the wall over further due to the front door:

(please forgive moving clutter, apparently hard to purchase furniture during a pandemic)

Why is there molding? Is that a picture rail? Nope, it's a covered opening, I know because whenever they added HVAC to it they put a vent right in the middle for some reason (also the vent "solution and trim are on both sides):

They also painted white over everything with sprayers, which we hope to address in the future. I mean everything too, except for where a cupboard door wasn't closed, leaving a paint shadow; but little velcro circles, blue sticky tack, it's all under there.

Here are some of the cool features we want to restore eventually:

My main complaint is they made the bathroom ADA compliant, which would be fine, except the clearances and rails mean there is no storage whatsoever save for the toilet roll holder and shelves in the hideous weird shower whose surround cuts into and covers a quarter of the window frame.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

kid sinister posted:

1920s is about right for baseboard registers. Some were giant things that poked out several inches from the corner of the wall and floor like that. I'm betting that a few were missing and the previous company didn't feel like spending the big bucks to get reproductions.

There are a couple left, although this one is missing the little lever.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I found this thing on a random Tumblr post

More photos at the link

https://katy-l-wood.tumblr.com/post/647031311321726976/holy-poo poo-i-just-found-the-best-loving-house

and also a Virtual Tour !?! (lol exploring this is fantastic)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/36570-Us-Highway-24-N-Buena-Vista-CO-81211/2076799379_zpid/?mmlb=p,0

Honest I was 50/50 on this thread or the Interior Design thread but the personal drug smuggling tunnel won me over.

I like that they do with TVs what most people do with wallpaper. Interesting seat setup too, but they are limited for space in the parlor alcove or whatever the hell they choose for the room they actually use, vs the fireplace room that looks like they wanted to entertain, but had no friends.
It very much looks like a house I would build in a video game where each room or feature unlocks without any indication of how it will look or any opportunity to see in advance to plan a cohesive structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

My Lovely Horse posted:

imagine coming home drunk

I love this.

We bought a 100-year-old craftsman two years ago, in an area zoned B1 (mixed office and residential). The house had been awkwardly converted into a marketing firm by running ethernet everywhere (yay!) and randomly slapping up floating walls to subdivide rooms, and it already has some weirdness due to being old.

Here are some pictures I took of some of the more interesting angles and features.

We are going to restore it to a more house like configuration, but that got delayed when a tree fell on it a month after purchase, right during the everything. Took 2 years to fix and cost just shy of $100K, mostly paid by insurance thank god.