Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
There was an episode of sweat equity where someone had left every door in their house like that, including the bathrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Ashcans posted:

My grandmother has a weird bathroom not unlike this. There isn't an actual shower stall, there is just a showerhead coming off the wall, and the entire floor is sealed and sloped toward a floor drain in the middle. The toilet is positioned directly under the shower so you could basically sit on it while showering, and there is a curved shower curtain that lets you screen off the shower area from the sink/medicine cabinet so those don't get totally soaked.

This is called a "wet room." It's super common in many of the more crowded Asian countries and in ridiculously contemporary designer bathrooms that show up in architecture magazines.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Why... would that be a common thing in any type of construction?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Even low wage commissioned sales jobs make otherwise decent humans into depraved equivocating monsters. When the sale going through is worth tend of thousands of dollars to the salesperson? Forget about it.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

wolrah posted:

I'm glad someone else remembers that game, and agree.

I occasionally convince myself I just dreamed The Neverhood so it's always nice to see its existence confirmed in the wild. Especially since the soundtrack gets stuck in my head sometimes.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Javid posted:

There is literally no reason the fridge can't be, like, right next to the island. That is the worst possible work triangle wtf.

That's just, like, my STYLE OK?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Gunjin posted:

Too expensive, really doesn't fit the character of the neighborhood at all, and honestly, the area around the lake isn't really the part of town I'd want to move to if I had 2 million to spend on a house.

Also the appraisal is not going to take the ~aesthetic~ of the house into consideration, so good luck getting financed with area comps being half as much.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

I'm the rolling chair on a tiny platform.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

:sigh:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

I know a sound person who converted a short bus for exactly that reason.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Oh wait also the sound person I know was the sound person on that tiny house show (when they shoot in our region). Or at least A tiny house show, I assume there are a few.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Loooong loooong pooooooorch

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Just another flunky for Big Bucket, keeping the little man down.

Nooooo mah bucket

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Just took out my bathroom sink to put in a new vanity. Discovered it was plumbed straight into the ground using 1 1/2" pipe and no S trap, and then that the shutoff valves are way lower than normal so the new tap lines (which are integrated into the tap) can't reach. Off to Loewe's again...

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Can you... buy wire coat hangers at a regular store? I've only seen them come with dry cleaning.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

On that note, I just had an inspection done on a house built in 1943 that, it turns out, has essentially just been sitting on dirt the whole time. At some point someone dug out a tiny crawlspace to install some plumbing, during which time they improperly notched all the beams.

I got some contractors out to do some bids. They came up looking like they'd just seen a ghost, but the ghost had offered to put their kid through college.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

peanut posted:

lmao keep us updated on this wild ride

Oh I also forgot the fact that the one "pier" was just a brick sitting on a rock.

My contractors both gave me a quote of about $35,000. To excavate, build new piers, replace all the rotted and insect damaged beams, insulate and install a vapor barrier. Theirs said it needed $2,500 in "reinforcement." We LOLed and walked away.

Chitin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 31, 2020

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah they're incredibly cheesy but they actually do a decent job of convincing some deep part of your lizard brain that you're near some sort of nature. It's weird.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

If you haven't already gotten closing costs and pre-paids covered elsewhere, consider asking the seller to cover them as a contribution towards getting the work done on your repair addendum. Puts the money back in your pocket without asking the seller to cover the entire cost of a repair that is a good idea but not totally or immediately necessary, and they may consider it an easier/cheaper way out than if you were to ask them to do the work. And since the inspector did call it out, it's a legit ask.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

Had no idea weird shower windows that go to other indoor rooms were such a thing.... I was totally perplexed when I saw that in a house a friend bought. Makes sense it was due to an addition.

Pic unrelated, but relevant

And they say you can't smell a photograph.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Surely having to patch some drywall is preferable to... that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

What you don’t want to live in your IRL animal crossing house?