Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Boat posted:

:stare:

Electricity takes the path of least resistance, unless it's confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

How do you turn the light off?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Nah, rig it up to whisper "Hey, come up to the attic" giggle hysterically at random times of the night.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNova posted:

It wouldn't hurt to turn it on for a moment to see if it's gas or water. If it's angry wasps, however...

Wrong size. Luckily it's also too small for fire ants. Caterpillars maybe?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Those are normal terminal blocks, known colloquialy as "snotters". They very much are used domestically/residentially and come in a variety of power ratings.

E; in the uk

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Weird? Rich coming from someone who uses half the right amount of electricity ;)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kastein posted:

Do you guys use stranded conductor wire for in-wall? Because we mostly use solid conductor, and I'm honestly not sure I'd trust those (called "euro style barrier strips" here) with solid conductor wires of that gauge.

Solid in-wall, I've never had one come loose regardless of conductor size. I think it comes down to being brave and cranking them down tight

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I take it there was a good reason it didn't just get pushed off the balcony? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe it was intended to be a lighting circuit (lamps rather than fittings)?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

Speaking as someone whose seeing probably what is tantamount to the oldest electrical wiring one could find in a house even buildings that are still around are huge death traps.

There are houses that have fallen/burnt down, and there are houses that have not yet fallen/burnt down. In the long term that's it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

When I re-did our current slum I put in nearly 8 metres of counter top. Discounting the hob & sink there's still about 6 metres.

There's about 1.5m useable on a good day. That's not a code failure, but goddamnit I'm the only tidy person in this household.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Put retractable called reels right above where you want them. Put the stop blocks further up the cable so you can reach them when 'fully' retracted

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=retractable+extension+cord

It's a cord that retracts like a tape measure. There's a stop on the business end of the cord that prevents it from going too far in, and you can put that stop wherever you need. So put your electrical outlet waaaaay up on the ceiling, hang one of these next to it, and put the stop such that the cord hangs just within reach when retracted.

Pretend I posted this, yeah.

Also, I was thinking of the UK g-plug version of exactly this:

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H5695-Cord-Reel/dp/B00012XCE8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1398546347&sr=8-16&keywords=retractable+extension+cord

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh God please don't start the speedtest dick waving contest, is no thread immune?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm a landlord for a single property in the uk. I didn't want to be but I couldn't sell and had to move. The tenants are superb, we've gone through the contract together and agreed everything, including stupid poo poo like carpet cleaning: if they ask I'll come and clean them up to four times a year, we both have copies of the full photo tour I did before they moved in, they know to do simple stuff like bulbs etc themselves, if there aren't bulbs of the same or better type in when they move out they'll be charged agreed prices etc, all that crap.

They've been in 9 months and called me straightaway when strong winds took a couple of tiles of the roof, I sent someone round to fix it that afternoon. No other calls. I've sent my wife round to do a (with a weeks notice) look-see and she says it's better than when we lived there :haw:

I was dreading being a landlord, this family have been perfect remnants, I only hope I live up to that, and that I can sell it when they leave, I can't possibly be lucky enough to get another set of good tenants.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

There are a couple of episodes of Grand Designs with really low budgets, even one or two under £50k, they're almost always the best.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chicken Doodle posted:

The best season is the one where they not only get to design and build their own sheds, those sheds later get sold at auction with all proceeds going to Habitat for Humanity. Those poor buyers.

I just started watching this and holy poo poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The cheaper method of making a building that could last an arbitrarily long time would be to make a building that you can easily maintain and repair and upgrade.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I only have 5000 square feet on this lot, so I'd rather not lose any of it. I'm pretty sure I can work with this person, but I'm sure not going to try to get my insurance to pay for it.

I will need to make certain that their half of the (new) fence gets treated with something. Hell, I'll give 'em a couple gallons of stain if that's what it takes.

What it takes will probably end up being you painting both sides of the fence yourself. If it's feasible to do so before installation it's a lot easier though.

When I moved into our current property the fence was inadequate. As we have a dog and they have a rabbit I installed a 4' wire fence. Two weeks later they installed an 8' paneled fence, trashing the wire fence and dumping it in our garden, causing damage to our plants. They then painted their side of the fence. They then dropped hints about how much their new fence had cost, wanting us to pay more than half because they wouldn't have needed to install it if their kids weren't afraid of a small terrier. I think they want us to paint our side as well but gently caress'em, it's a rental.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

WELP GONNA SAW THIS IN HALF WITH A HAMMER

For some reason this nearly has me in tears of laughter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

SwivelTits2000 posted:

I look at the cost issue this way: either I pay to run the fan whenever we're home, or I pay to have the system re-engineered into a dual-zone system. I could also "pay" by being uncomfortable, which is what I'm doing now.

I'll definitely venture into the attic and look for dampers and look for the fan assembly as well.

If you have as above leaky poorly insulated ducts, spend a few hours sealing them up, it'll be horrible messy uncomfortable work but you'll start saving money straight away.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

No, he simply has to post that request with the banme tag and he won't have to read it again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Probably the best place to ask, tomorrow I'm going to go see a newly built house, apart from the obvious, any pointers to spotting shoddy workmanship?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Real reassuring guys, thanks.

Yeah, I'm prepared for it to be disappointing, but those are good.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Okay, there were three houses, we were only interested in 2 due to the positions on-site. Neither had 2nd fix yet but what we could see of the exposed wiring and plumbing was actually reassuring, not messy or tight(tails not too short etc)Appliances & bathroom furniture & cabinetry going in was good stuff. Insulation being installed was good (& deep in the attic). Exposed roof structure in the garage was very good, about the best I've seen in terms of decent timber, neat angles, general fit & finish. Paint on the walls was decent but matt, we have sticky children so I can see some silk going on later.

Walls were straight, right angles everywhere, plumbing looked like someone cared. I'm impressed, we're going to go for it. I'll be more invasive when we go back & 2nd fix is done.

I'm amazed basically.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm in the UK so inspections & searches happen after an offer is made to secure the property, but before money changes hands. I could hire an additional inspector but there's little benefit at this point. I'll definitely have it inspected though, can't imagine spending more than 4 times my annual wage on something without an expert weighing in.

I'm trying not to get carried away though, thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

OKay, sorry, didn't quite know how to phrase it & didn't want to make assumptions.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

-Speaking of that basement. Someone at some point hosed up--it has no drainage. None. As near as we can tell, someone at some point added an extra two to three inches of cement floor over everything save the furnace and water heater, which now sit in a recessed pit. That included over the floor drains. We have no idea where they are, and we'd have to tear up literally the whole basement to find them. That made that aforementioned pipe break extra fun as my dad had to spend the whole day with a wet-dry vac to clear out the basement.

Make friends with an archaeologist, borrow the machine that goes ping their portable radar for half an hour.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Welcome to December?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNova posted:

$101,500 to buy a new Tesla Roadster (why does everyone think the guy bought a car just to get the battery pack but whatever). Let's assume all the other equipment is free.

It has a 53kWh battery and let's assume you can use the entire capacity.

So every night you charge it from empty for 53*0.224 = $11.87

Every day you sell the power back for 53*0.071 = $3.76

For an annual profit of 365*($3.76-$11.87) = ($2,960.15)

Assuming the battery pack will give you 5 years of service in this usage, your amortized cost for the battery is $20,300 per year, bringing your yearly profit to ($23,260.15).

At the end of the 5 years, you will have made a profit of ($116,300.75).

The payback period is therefore #DIV/0 years and your APY is -22.9%.

This is arse about face, it costs more to charge than makes back, so it costs $2960.15 per year to level the grid load for your utility company.

Nope, I'm dumb, you go ahead.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 23, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I helped my dad demolish the deck in their garden last weekend, really well built, ten times as many screws hiding the boards down as you'd want, (no kidding, a screw every 1/2"), massive lag bolts hiding the posts to the frame.

And lovely untreated wood :doh: That's stuff gets heavy when it's waterlogged.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Obviously swedes are all ripped.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I looked at a house a few months back that had a deck and raised beds done in black plastic lumber. It was a couple of years old and still looked pretty good, if a little oppressive. They had cats and dogs and you could see loads of scratches if you looked closely but from a standing position it looked fine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I had a company build a house and they have a 1 year warranty on everything. Today a worker is out fixing the dozen or so nail pops that have appeared. Not bad.

1 year? There's a mandatory minimum 10 year guarantee on all new houses in the UK. The one I bought a couple of months ago has some mediocre plumbing angles and one light that hangs just slightly too low and gets clipped by a door if opened fully. Stuff that's literally quicker to fix myself for free then call someone out.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Most tract builders in the states are LLCs that are out of business and dissolved by 18 months after they finish the neighborhood.

Here the guarantee is provided by a different company and paid for in advance by the builder, so they can go bust all they like, if they make lovely houses they'll find it hard to get their guarantee signed off. I understand mine was inspected 5 times officially, at least twice on the sly and they were involved from the planning stage.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

killhamster posted:

My buddy messaged me the other day about a house he was renovating after a fire damaged part of it. They were pulling out parts of the ceiling in a room and were greeted with a rain of dildos falling out. I'm assuming they were under a bedroom and that there weren't just a dozen dildos stashed away between floors.

It's raining members! :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Other way round, it was probably poised to become a fallout-style vault at a moments notice, with the kids forcibly drafted :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's not rock, that's the artificial stiff, you know, weighs an awful lot, can't remember the name?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Off topic I think that stuff looks great but it must be a bitch to keep clean and I have terrible taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I already feel better about the bookshelves I'm going to build, because they won't look that bad.