Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hello construction thread. Now I'm scared of basements and glad they don't exist in my area.
We're having a house built this year and I'm sperging out about doors and frames. Our floors are light wood and the door/frames can be white, black, or 4 shades of wood. Is there any common wisdom about how to choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol just lol if you don't have a kerosene heater in every room :sadpeanut:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

Is this a color palette question?

Yes I am worried about door frame colors because we're traumatized from these in my in-laws house.

I would also like to hear some experienced opinions about wallpaper vs paint.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This house has no thermostat, only suffering.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ Omg 2 spooky

Here's a crumbling old storage building from my walk today

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We just tore down a not too old house to rebuild this year (pre-fab steel frame :ohdear:) Demolition starts at usd 10k, and a new house is around usd 200k. :sadpeanut: The price of used houses is usually (land)
- (demolition) and sometimes even cheaper. Remodeling is actually a huge booming business right now, but it's often limited to kitchen and bath without changing the floorplan.
My in-laws' house is a maze of additions. So wood panel, much doors. :japan: I think our generation is wary (and weary) of these houses after growing up in them.

Up until very recently, city governments were legally unable to demolish abandoned shitholes. The owners, if they're even alive, have no obligation to keep properties safe.
Tv news showed Tokyo tearing down the first of one of these collapsed houses last week. Predictably, it looks like the cities are wishy washy about turning a profit. Obviously a 2 room shack in the mountains won't attract many buyers, but plenty of buildings in major urban areas have been empty for 10 or 15 years. If my father gave me a $million loan, I would totally buy, demolish, and resell for profit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's what happens when nails are more rare and expensive than carpenters.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Both of those are from Japan.

The sink/shower is a "unit bath" commonly seen in budget hotels and includes a toilet on the other side of the sink (total bathroom approx 4x6 feet.)

The sink/toilet is common everywhere, and is an excellent option when a separate sink uses too much space/money.

This is the toilet room (2.5x5 feet) where we're staying now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I can't explain what happened in that bathroom, but in new catalogs, a mini sink set into the wall starts at $400, and a tank-top faucet starts is $50. The tank-top gets a little splashy with kids, but is easy to use for anyone over 3 feet tall.
It's cold water only anyway :shrug:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ugh no this sink is barely enough for washing hands. Possibly because the urinal gets in the way.

The sink/vanity for brushing teeth is in a different room with the washing machine, next to the bath. That little sink is just for rinsing pee hands.

Edit: just keep the toothbrushes and gargle cup on the urinal. Cover the whole wall with mirrors. Medicine can be in a little basket hung on the towel rack

peanut fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 30, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In normal residences, the toilet is in a separate room from the bath and sink. The family shares one bath.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The 70s were crazy times

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Working hard, or hardly working?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Private driveways instead of public streets makes things a mess.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Low ceilings, beige carpet. Yuck! Boulder pun.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Incinerator toilets for all.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our house has minimal windows on the West side because
1. The rooms already have big windows facing South or North
2. Harsh hot late afternoon light
3. Closets and storage
4. Privacy on a small lot

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Platystemon posted:

You know what I miss? Transom windows.

Same :ohdear:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our old house was steel frame and it sucked because 1. no contractor was willing to remodel it 2. it was hard to find studs to hang shelves 3. poor insulation.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think we can all agree that the year-round clothing of choice for most Americans is pajama pants and a hoodie.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I see ac in much tighter gaps here, but if you really care, build a little hut for your ac.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not like walls just a little roof and four corner posts for "shed door bumpers"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah and he changed his picture hanging plans to work around it. What do you want us to say?

My classroom is all concrete so everything has to be hung from the ceiling, it sucks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Parking.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I just hate this thing and yes someone still lives there.

Edit: VVV Yes, No. It might have parking or a workshop a few decades ago.

peanut fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 21, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Currently vacant as the owner was transferred to another state.

Left: bike trail / Right: fallow rice paddy

peanut fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 25, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sup :japan: ^^^
The bars are definitely for a kitchen back door or the window of the bathroom/laundry area. Windows you might want to leave open at night or while you're not home.

The front of that house is less tedious, but shuttered up while the owner is away.

This house is also shuttered, but lived in...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's a soap rack... and/or maintenance access.

A Japanese bathroom without a bidet, a shameful bathroom.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's probably a flowerbed, with convenient house foundation drainage.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some kind of terrible carport?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Saved in my scrapbook.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kitchen/dining in pink...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The architectural failures thread got goldmined, so I'll drop this here.

Le Corbusier works named as UN world heritage sites - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36820119

Japan is soooo excited to have another World Heritage Site :japan:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A maze of additions like those houses up there is more common. Modern bath, upstairs, mother-in-law unit, an office...

Remodeling something that sprawling can cost the same as a new house. And the old ones can be pretty lovely.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There are very old things here but buildings tend to be wooden only (few iron resources) paired with high humidity and frequent natural disasters. It was better to make houses out of parts that were easily exchangeable.

Then electricity, plumbing and A/C were invented and no one wants to live in a mud hut anymore.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good morning

(House on the corner with ugly everything)

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 3, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

From beautiful Niihama

(Monster addition and bonus looming windowless apartments)

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 3, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Welcome

(So grounded)

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think one window is in the hall and one is in a bedroom... but that doesn't make it ok.