Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I saw this at an actual communications company:

Why, yes, it does go to the main AND the generator on the same line. No, that door doesn't lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chitin posted:

Why... would that be a common thing in any type of construction?

An old surveillance method was to have someone patrol a long room or catwalk with one-way glass overlooking the store. You can sometimes see the glass in older, bigger stores. I can't find good pics, but this is what kind of view it would provide:

I'm wondering if this could be related.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The house I grew up in and my parents still live at has a second house on the property that used to be for renting out to people. Its first floor was half garage, half living area, and the top floor was a kitchenette and dining room and small bedroom and bathroom. By the time my parents got the property it had been foreclosed on and the rental house was in disrepair, so they got it pretty cheap considering.

Anyway the first thing my dad did after moving in (before I was even born) was to tear out all that stupid "comfortable living area" on the first floor and make a workshop out of it with all of the aggregated tools and nerd poo poo he's collected over his lifetime. The first project he built there was his ideal vision of a work bench, followed by a :krad: home-built amplifier (he's an electrical engineer) with four loving 15" subwoofers prominently embedded high in the wall. In order to turn it on you had to flip up some of those red covered toggle switches like you were arming a nuclear bomb, it was pretty great. The top floor living area became the place he could go to work on his hundreds of precisely accurate model rockets (he's a pretty huge :spergin: if you can't tell), while the bedroom was for naps. Now that I'm living on my own and can't just mooch off his work area and tools I'm really missing being able to, you know, build anything larger than can fit on my four foot long desk in the corner of one room of my apartment that is reserved for project junk and not needed for living area.

Sounds like you need to get your poo poo together.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Splizwarf posted:

My wife is 100% on board with a place like that. :smug:

If only we could afford it. :sigh:

http://mortonbuildings.com/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dillbag posted:

This guy did our home inspection. I got a 25-page report similar to this (without as many deficiencies, of course) and I got to watch him freak the poo poo out of my realtor. Best $650 I've ever spent.

PRO loving click.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NancyPants posted:

I feel really stupid asking this, but how do those foam houses stand up to the elements? Foam isn't usually structural.

This poo poo was all loving over in Afghanistan

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Crosspostin' for the people that haven't seen it; life at my job is... exciting.

Wasabi the J posted:

That is the least of my company's power issues.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Collateral Damage posted:

What in the actual gently caress is going on there?

The city block lost power, boss man (probably) said "TIME LOST IS MONEY LOST, I'LL HIRE WHATEVER CONTRACTOR IS DUMB ENOUGH TO HOOK THIS GENERATOR UP IF YOU PUSSIES WON'T!"

Load bearing ratchet strap
Pulling the keyhole shelves sideways
Piles of cable
Plugged into the mains with no switch
In front of an actual door

"gently caress it, just put cardboard on it. Keeps the terminals from arcing on my hood, should be the same for three-phase."

Thankfully that poo poo's all gone and properly installed (now).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am9BqZ6eA5c

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hire that guy who made the manual for the house after doing the inspection, holy poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bad Munki posted:

It is a rat's nest, but it's also kind of a cool finished product. I am feeling a little conflicted here.

Would an A/V receiver, conduit, and proper routing REALLY have driven the cost up too much? There's no reason for like, 80% of those cables.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slanderer posted:

Unless there's the ability to spray water at the panel itself, I'm not sure there's a problem here...

EDIT: I know the NEC prohibits putting circuit breakers in bathrooms now, but without actually looking at a recent edition, I'm not sure if there is anything about *kitchens*. I do know that water ingress is called out specifically, however.

Also, it's being blocked.

I worked in a grocery store service deli, and the boss refused to understand why we couldn't put the 100 lb baker's racks two deep, "in all that empty space," in front of the breaker panel. I went to a socket, stuck my finger on it, and started screaming. I yelled for him to pop the breaker, and I got sent home for being disruptive.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tindjin posted:

I know this is a bit late but thought I would share.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145073

Concrete contractor decides to build his home to last. This is probably the closest I have seen to what you are asking about.

Built like a brick cement poo poo-house

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

His Divine Shadow posted:

poo poo I just have a manual door.

Did you just get a horseless carriage and indoor plumbing, too?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Half Life had a ton of game-ending electricity puzzles, guys.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bad Munki posted:

It also had a ton of scenery like this:

Well, HL2, anyhow.

Bet there's a medkit up there...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crotch Fruit posted:

I heard you like lovely driveways:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.748992,-97.258198,3a,75y,245.31h,75.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1suEsXk2G7C2h8iOpuubA9DA!2e0

Pan around and you can count 12 dual car garages or 24 garage stalls total all packed into one cul de sac. How the hell did this make it past the city planners desk???

Yeah but if that guy in the back has a party, everyone can park in his driveway.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Did anyone have any guides for finding a good home inspector? My parents are being made an offer by their landlord, but I'm concerned with the craftsmanship of the house, and we know it had some issues, but I'm worried it's got some very serious ones.

I don't want my parents to get hoodwinked.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As I understand it the main thing is to avoid using inspectors recommended by the realtor, to avoid a conflict of interest. So go on Yelp and find ones with decent reviews.

But yeah, absolutely do not buy a house that hasn't been inspected. And I'd suggest that you try to stay intimately involved in this process as a semi-impartial third party, because it's very easy to get emotionally invested in "your" house, which could lead your parents to make bad decisions.

My mother already has the "my house" mentality, and I'm just so loving scared for her because she's been hosed over by slick salesmen and being swindled by people close to her before.

Her landlord is currently her vice principal at the school in which she teaches, it's already had multiple plumbing problems, several electrical problems (with evidence of a previous electrical fire/short), and a tree in the back yard whose roots are becoming good friends with the slab foundation; it's always being maintained by members of the same church the landlord goes to, and personally, the work seems half-assed.

I'm concerned already because the guy has basically offered up someone to "appraise" the house, before sale, and my mother was NOT interested in hearing what my thoughts are in what this houses serious problems are. When it came up and she asked my advice, she shut me down when I warned her to pay well for an independent inspector, saying "Well, why don't you even wanna hear what I want? Besides the VA is gonna help with that anyway!"

:negative:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

If you include an echo make sure you get it low-latency enough that there's no audible delay, otherwise your brain short-circuits and it becomes incredibly hard to talk :eng101:

What about if you fill your ears with expanding foam?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

High Lord Elbow posted:

Fill the space beneath the deck with expanding foam. That should hold'er up.

Worked for us in Afghanistan.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sylink posted:

So what happens if that foam barracks catches on fire or gets hit by some sort of explosive? Do the occupants melt to death ?

It's SUPPOSED to be flame retardant but it's dubious how effective it really is, considering how the tents are usually partitioned up with plywood. What's more fun is trying to tell the base fire department how to FIND YOU on base before the inferno points it out. Had to do this on Camp Dwyer, when the building next to mine had the smoke alarms blaring and smelled of hickory while I was alone on night shift. It was an unauthorized cookout that I couldn't see because it was hidden in between some sheds in their little fenced off area.

For added pucker factor, here's a bonus shot of how a room is built in those tents.

FOB Lagman

No siree that ain't no fire hazard.

FOB Shir Ghazay

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 8, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The hits just keep coming at my work:

Our new breakroom!

It's been like this for five weeks now

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ColHannibal posted:

Somebody ran out of money and does not want to buy their granite slab.

Pretty close; there was an issue with the install (there WAS a formica top previously) where the sink wasn't built to code, so they decided to rip everything out and since they're "upgrading" the breakroom anyway, they're waiting for a granite slab.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ColHannibal posted:

Granite tops are not long lead items, chances are they are waiting on standby for somebody to gently caress up a larger piece to get a discount as they only need a little piece.

No it's already made and sitting in a different room

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

So get 4-6 people and a tube of caulk. Will take all of 15 minutes

Our management can be described as mercurial at best; they have many deeply contradicting ideas they hold passionately.

I'll not risk it for my relatively easy job.

I'll get a picture tonight. They had the time clock mounted six inches to the right of where it was, with no explanation.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Liquid Communism posted:

You don't even want to know. Four people, one day to strip , fill and sand even with the power rotary sander. 3 people 20 straight hours to stain and put down four coats of urethane. Can't move the furniture back in for two more days, and I'm still doing the little bits like quarter-round trim at floor level the previous owner never loving put back on when he threw down carpet and painting the corroded old vents with a coat or two of anti-rust to preserve and touch them up. But it looks 110% better.

Here's a couple finish shots of the other 2/3 of that room.

You can see one of the patches from the old floor vents in that, and some dark spots. We tested and those weren't coming out without sanding a significant dent in the floor, so they're staying as character.

Next up we have to strip the carpet going up the stairs, and redo a space exactly the same size only broken into 3 bedrooms and a hallway. :unsmith:

That's what we decided. Even worse, it was cheap-rear end contractor grade white carpet. Impossible to keep looking good.

More like Happy Construction Tales. :unsmith:

That's beautiful man. Congrats on the fruits of your labor.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Collateral Damage posted:

:rimshot:

Does Cambodia even have a electrical code?

Yeah -- 404.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dragyn posted:

I saw this on imgur I think, the prevailing response is that it's not done yet, and they'll be frosting the glass.

Also that would literally be a "crappy" tale.

so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRoL2q-tU-Q

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I genuinely dislike the lack of natural white light that LEDs have. Have they fixed that or are you still dealing with huge chunks of the spectrum missing?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks for buying into the conspiracy to take away our god given incandescents halogens :tinfoil:

I'm the one killing the planet and heating the house.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like halogens for hobby work. Natural white light is hard to beat for eye comfort.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zemyla posted:

Well, each of those sconces can generally handle 100 W, since they were made in the days before CFLs and LEDs.

You know what you must do. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqOvfMFu9F0

jfc

"Most applications are warehouse..."
:downs:
"office..."
:raise:
"restaurants..".
:crossarms:

LMBO at the mental image of eating under a loving sun.

E: I'm addicted to this loving channel, these things are ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7TeYojMgY

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 12, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

High Lord Elbow posted:

You know what a picnic is, right? Now you can do that, but without rain, skin cancer, and mosquitoes!

Yeah, but this is what I think of when I think restaurant lighting:

not this:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NancyPants posted:

If you had a giant room like that you could make a nice rear end spa bathroom with like a big tiled shower and a soaking tub and a nice chest for your linens and and and

Wet rooms are hella cool but make me feel weird when I'm pooping; I've spent so much time in tiny stalls and port-a-johns, I kinda need to be cocooned when I poop.

fake edit: poopooned.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NancyPants posted:

Not me. I want to take all my shits in the stately elegance of a room large enough to hold a California king bed.

Imagine a shower so nice you feel bad about peeing in it.

I like having a divider wall for the shitter at least. I remember staying at the Delta Sky Miles club in Atlanta on a guest pass, and taking a shower there for a 15 hour delay (flight was cancelled, KLM/Delta hosed the dog on getting rebookings/vouchers). They had these massive bathrooms that were amazing; but when I took a poo poo, the echo from my butt was booming and it kinda put me on edge with how loud it was.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Whoa, your realtor must be massive.

Only the size of a big Tupperware bin.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbazJysivTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65kQ_IaQE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bad Munki posted:

Plus there'd have to be slip rings or something to power the lights or it'd take about a second and a half for the wires to twist to the point of breaking.

They come with a lot of slack to stuff back in.