Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

kid sinister posted:

gently caress, a guy in my fraternity house did that trying to get cable TV in his room. He drilled through the paneling and managed to drill into a 1/2" copper water pipe in the wall. Imagine the angle that you would need to hit a 1/2" water pipe at with a 1/2" drill bit and not deflect off of it.

The Google Fiber installation guy drilled right through the water supply line for my parents' kitchen sink and started flipping out because there was water pouring out of the wall and he didn't know what to do. My dad had to turn off water to the whole house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

House shopping today and found the lightswitch mothership. This was the worst room, but there were at least 8 separate light switches in EVERY room of the house. Most only controlled a single bulb.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Like this?

As a woman,I have always done my urinating in private, even in public, so this is very unsettling.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Elem7 posted:

Why does your bathtub have a doggie door?

The tub at my parents' house used to be missing the maintenance hatch cover (which was in the linen closet next to the tub) and one of the cats would go and hide under the tub, so you'd go and turn on the water to take a shower and he'd come scrambling out at full speed.

He has since passed away and the bathroom has been remodeled and now you have to remove some large drawers that project into the hallway to reach the maintenance panel. I spent like 20 minutes making a paint diagram because it's kind of a weird setup now. Future owners will probably be like "what the heck is this?"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

xezton posted:

Sorry but this is all I can see:

This is excellent, thank you.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

Though, on reflection, I am reminded of the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone, which was built with intentionally off-kilter dormers. Then again, Old Faithful Inn is terrifyingly weird.

I described this to my husband as "if Miyazai set a movie in a late 19th century American national park."

And here is a small plumbing issue that I encountered today in the sculpture garden at the Nelson-Atkins Museum. It went on for at least two hours because I took this video on the way in and it was still going when I came out.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

This house is Brazil is like an "I Spy" of construction nightmares.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Jordanis posted:

I can't have houseplants because the cat will relentlessly seek them out, eat parts of them, and then barf those parts up. Every day until the plant is gone.

Sounds like you need to switch to terrariums, which also gets rid of the whole "maintenance" issue. I have one in my bedroom that I haven't touched in three years except to dust, and the plant is perfectly happy.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My mom grew up in a Lustron Home in Ohio post war. Impossible to heat or cool but termites? Not a chance.

These looked super familiar to me...turns out my best friend's next door neighbor had one of these when we were growing up. We went over and stuck magnets to it once.

I think there are also some in my neighborhood as well.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Perfect for their kids' sledding, right into the busy avenue.

I have sledded into the street many times from a regular driveway. I expect this would shoot you entirely across the street and possibly straight up the neighbor's equally ridiculous driveway, or into a retaining wall at high speed (I was going to say a tree, but that sort of neighborhood doesn't really have trees).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

This guy tried.

:chloe: http://imgur.com/gallery/nXJem

He says the girl liked it (or pretended to) though so I guess it's okay.

That's not from scratch. THIS is from scratch (although the final outcome is still pretty amateurish but in a more charming way, if that makes sense?)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I get Botox injections in my forehead and scalp to treat migraines, so I can't really raise my eyebrows anymore. I don't notice this lack very much, until I see something like this and my face just will not reflect my surprise and dismay. (this thread is particularly good at eliciting this reaction)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I kind of love the living room boulder, but am kind of surprised no one has carved shelves into it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

So, I'm in a little bit of a pickle right now. So, the backstory is my parents bought a house back in 2012. There was (and still is) an HoA. We knew there was. But my parents decided to not pay the monthly dues because the escrow company never gave us or our realtor any information about the HoA. My parents believed that because of this, anything regarding the Home Owner's Association didn't apply to them.

My father in particular took advantage of this. In September of 2012 (right around the time we bought the house), he added an extension to the fence that was already there. The Secretary(?) of the HoA came to us and told us that we needed permission to build the fence from the Association. After talking, he went right back to building the fence. This was just the beginning. Over the next few years, he would continue adding whatever he loving pleased to the house:

-He made a lovely extension to the house. You know that small concrete staircase that you place your shoes on, and it leads to the backyard? He put a loving wall on top of that with glass in it. Now it's like a three-foot wide "room" that's useless because it's three loving feet wide. And there's a door he added to the end of it, that doesn't even have a lock on it because the frame is just a bunch of 2x4s nailed together.

-Added another door in front of the original door (same deal as the backyard door -- no lock on it)

-He painted a part of the front of the house a different color. Not even a whole side. It's so loving ugly to look at from the front, especially with the door

-He added some thick, six foot pieces of wood onto our lawn, where it meets the sidewalk. Hammered it down in place with some stakes. He claimed that "it's so the loving little pirate motherfuckers don't ride their bikes on our lawn and destroy it". When I removed them, the grass was destroyed anyways and left a bunch of dirt and mud underneath.

-Part of the fence that he made can be removable, sort of like a sliding gate. This was so that he could put two of our cars and a trailer in the backyard. The result is a lovely-looking fence.

-etc.

My mother told him time and time again not to do any of this poo poo. But since she sleeps during the day, he went behind her back and did all of this. Cost her thousands of dollars. Of course, the HoA got pissed the gently caress off. We were fined $20,000. Lean(?) on the house. My mother went to court because the HoA wanted to foreclose the house. The order was vacated, but we still had to pay $20,000. Apparently, it was a garnishment. We're not 100% that it is a garnishment, all we know is that the HoA took all of my mother's money from her checking account ($6,000). They haven't taken any money from her savings account (which is about $10,000).

The big question that we're wondering is if she withdraws money from her savings account to her checking account (to pay the bills), will it automatically be taken away by the HoA because of the apparent garnishment? If so, then what are my options? What are the pros and cons of each option?

I have my own bank account, could she transfer her money from her savings into my account to pay the bills? Without getting taken away by the HoA first?

I'm a senior in highschool. I work at a fast food place during the weekends making $11 an hour. I have four college-level classes, so I can't work any more days unless I drop out. My mother works 80 hours a week, making about $16 an hour. My father is out of the question. He's homeless in another state. Long story. My brother is 16. He doesn't work. We have talked to our attorney about what happened, but he hasn't called us back yet. We have no idea what to do, which is why I'm asking for advice here. There's a lean(spelling) on the house. I have $600 in my bank account. My mother mentioned taking out money from her 401k and paying the debt directly.

I'm on my knees here, Reddit. I'd suck God's dick right now if he was in front me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

tl;dr: $20,000 debt to HoA. They took all of my mother's money from her checking account, but not from her savings($10000). Will they take her money if she transfers her money to her checking account? If so, what are my options to help her pay the bills? What are the pros and cons of each of my options?

I'm in Washington State.

source: https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5n9mrj/20000_lien_on_my_mothers_home_will_we_end_up/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Agrinja posted:

It's a very old house that's been added onto in some haphazard ways, the other major issue of the house is a rear porch/roofed patio thing that more or less has a roof that is more or less an elevated lattice of mold and ancient shingles.

There is also an SUV sized boulder in the back yard that fell off the cliff behind the house and crushed a shed sometime back in the fifties. Thankfully, the state's done some things to stabilize that mess.

My very first thought upon reading this was that Italian house that got bouldered a few years back where the barn got obliterated.

Please note the rock on the left that stopped just short of crashing through the actual house, and the larger one on the right that rolled down the hill years ago.

Maybe if a large rock were to smash your friend's porch he could rebuild a better one.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

rap music posted:

I bought a house! I dunno why I'm posting it here though as it's very solid throughout but in definite need of TLC just about everywhere. 3000sf multi-unit craftsman built in 1930 and is almost all original.

http://imgur.com/a/kX0qi

I knew I recognized that toile wallpaper from your bathroom...my grandmother had it in her bedroom. She also had curtains, lampshades, and bedding in the same pattern. At some point I'll have to make an album of my grandparents' house because the decor was just nuts.

Silhouettes are of my and my brother when I was 9 and he was 2.

Edit: I got out my external hard drive just for you.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 15, 2017

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't care what anyone says, I love this wallpaper and this room is amazing.

I posted way more pictures in the Interior Design thread, along with pics of other rooms in the house.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

If I hear one loving joke about a concrete block...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
nothing to see here

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 23, 2017

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Per Wikipedia, there are about five Luston homes in my immediate area but I don't think I've seen one (maybe they're been covered with siding?). However my best friend's mom's neighbor has a Lustron house and when my friend and I were younger we went and stuck magnets to it.

edit: we had this same conversation about Lustron homes back in October. I knew I'd mentioned this story before.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 2, 2017

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Last weekend I stayed at an AirBnB that had a hole in the bedroom floor covered by a tin can lid:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

I'm sure I've seen that picture in this thread before.

I took it on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 so unless it traveled back in time I don't think so.

I bet there are a lot of places that have a can lid covering a hole in the floor but while doing a google search I came across this tin can wall instead

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bozart posted:

So I was looking for a drop cloth online and apparently I'm an idiot for using it to prevent paint spills, you should use it to make weird house umbrellas and curtains

I used a drop cloth to make a slipcover for a chair. It was the cheapest and easiest way to get a really large piece of heavy duty cotton fabric, especially since I worked at a hardware store at the time.

Anyway it turns out that I don't actually know how to make a slipcover that looks good in addition to covering a chair (not surprising since I just threw the the cloth over the chair and started cutting and sewing), but if I did I would use a drop cloth again.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

Then you'll love the kitchen floor!

I am currently making an improv quilt (no pattern, just cut and sew at random) and it's a lot like this. Improv tiles. It works better as a quilt I think.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was in a rental house last week, which had a hanging light fixture whose top was somewhere around 5'10" above the floor, positioned in front of a couch such that when you were sitting on the couch, you wouldn't really see it, but you'd absolutely hit your head on the damned thing when you stood up. It got me three times over the course of a week.

Bonus: the fixture was loving broken! :shepface:

Wouldn't bother me, I'm only 5'4".

Now what WOULD bother me is this carpeting. I have poor depth perception and might actually die on these stairs.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The Immovable Ladder of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre

quote:

The care over the church is shared by no less then six denominations. The primary custodians are the Greek Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic and Roman catholic church, with lesser duties shared by Coptic, Ethiopian and Syriac Orthodox churches. The whole edifice is carefully parceled into sections, some being commonly shared while others belonging strictly to a particular sect. A set of complicated rules governs the transit rights of the other groups through each particular section on any given day, and especially during the holidays. Some of the sections of the church however still remain hotly disputed to this day.

The famous immovable ladder is a bizarre outcome of this religious stubbornness pushed to extremes. Some time in the first half of the 19th century, someone has placed a ladder up against the wall of the church. No one is sure who he was, or more importantly, to which sect he belonged. The ladder remains there to this date. No one dares touch it, lest they disturb the status quo, and provoke the wrath of others. The exact date when ladder was placed is not known but the first evidence of it comes from 1852.

The ladder hasn’t moved since.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Jaded Burnout posted:

If it helps, most of London is built on skeletons.

Here is a book on that very subject.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

there wolf posted:

I kind of like it. But then I also don't believe someone actually gilded eggshells and glued them down.

I'd be ok if they were delicate little porcelain pots instead of eggshells.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

kid sinister posted:

Do you want bombs? Because that's how you get bombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv178a60Ypg

Thank you, Mythbusters, for this lovely confirmation.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/IHIOQ8V.mp4

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 10, 2018

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

He's wondering what on-line resources are good elementary level explanations of basic construction and finishing building principles, particularly with regards to commercial building.

He should watch Canada's Worst Handyman, because they show basic skills and concepts and then a bunch of idiots loving up. As a viewer, you feel very smug in the assumption that even though you've never picked up a grout float, and didn't even know that was a thing until two minutes ago, you could do a better job than these people. There's a couple seasons on Netflix and more on Youtube.

If he wants practical experience, he could volunteer at a Habitat for Humanity build, or maybe in one of their stores if you have one nearby.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh drat, I missed this the first time I skimmed through them:

If I were gonna live in a tree house, it better not be some beige carpet eggshell paint bullshit. I can get that anywhere (like my current house). It better look like it came out of Lord of the Rings or something.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLuzmXLORSg

Oh dear.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The Locator posted:

Thanks for that link. I was befuddled by what appears to be a fountain of water shooting up out of that hot-tub, but no... it's water coming in, the whole thing was intentionally creating a failure.

Well I feel swindled. Sorry to bring fake crappy construction to the real crappy construction thread.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I guess it works, but ugh.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Jaded Burnout posted:

The big question though, can I light candles in the bed of my truck?

Somebody in BFC (I think it was Knyteguy) said he used to have a lovely truck with no defrost so he would light candles on his dashboard to help melt ice off the windshield when it was real cold.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

His Divine Shadow posted:

And I read a disturbing amount of incidents in a swedsh forum from loving vases of water and similar transparent things working as magnifying glasses for the sun and setting small fires and leaving scorch marks on things such as tables and walls and furniture.

Yeah, my parents used to have a scorched table because I left a clear glass paperweight on it in front of the window.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Half your house is a traditional farmhouse and the other half is a McMansion :wtc:

I want to see interior pics. I especially want to see the transition point from one style to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Contractor friend on FB posted this. Comment: "When your only tool is a sawzall all your problems look like they can be solved by a bigass hole"