Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

ANMAN posted:

My father's old buddy said his family was pouring the foundation for a new hip roofed hay barn way back when. Being a small town their father knew the cement truck drivers who were building a highway bridge near by. That bridge cement is like the ultimate cement I guess and can only stay in the truck for a certain amount of time before it's worthless for the bridge project. Of course the pour has to be constant and trucks have to be queuing up and waiting constantly...many trucks went over due. So instead of it going to waste, the farmer had them pour the barn foundation (for free when nobody was looking).

That poo poo was made of neutron stars and the old fart still laments how much work it was to work with it.

To be fair, this is really common, at least around here. State DOT projects (like bridges) require strict adherence to spec, so any load with too high a slump or that has passed the 60/90 minute time limit is automatically rejected. Concrete brokers make their money whether you place or don't place the load, so they're not out any money. Most around here that I work with will sell any extra concrete left over to a local car scrap yard who's paving his parking lot. Other drivers will call up people they know who need 1 or 2 yards of concrete.

The only stories I have are from the perspective of an inspector. The project I've been on for the past year and a half involves this one GC who has a family problem. By that I mean, they're obligated to hire all of the cousins as laborers and foremen, even the incompetent ones. One guy thought it was an awesome idea to bring a gas generator into the tunnel 250' below surface to run all day long. Our gas detectors thought otherwise. Another brother I had to work with when excavating for a manhole. He put in sheet piling that was too thin, banged the hell out of the trench boxes to the point that we had to cut them out to remove them, and left huge gaps in the corners so that each time it rained, lots of sediment infilled. This guy also left a mini excavator in a trench over the weekend, and when we all came back on monday, we could only see the very top of the boom because there was 8' of water due to rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU