Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Blistex posted:

I imagine all of the judgment calls you had to make were a nice little headache. "Do I cut 3' up or 5' up". Luckily all the calls I had to make were, "this has to be done or else I will have a bathtub in my dog's bedroom".

Back when lumber was essentially free you'd see a lot of overkill like this because the difference between doing it right and doing it like it was expected to sustain the fists of an angry god were marginal. I've seen lots of buildings built locally that are getting close to 200 years old and if they were built today they would have been 2-3 times more expensive than what code calls for. Assuming that they are properly maintained, they will probably outlast anything built in the next 20 years.

The lab I work in has some pretty heavy duty wood used in a few spots. You can see it going by in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjl7YKUzujA#t=307

It was built in the early 1940's, and that shaft goes down a little over 4850'. Pretty smooth ride all things considered, although there is a lot of work involved in refurbishing everything to make sure it's holding up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Where the hell do you work, a neutrino detector?

Dark matter actually, but yeah, it's the Sanford Underground Research Facility. The neutrino detectors haven't been built yet.

On a more thread related note, this is what happens when your roof starts to sag underground.

PB260217.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I think the average starting salary in South Dakota is around 30k a year, if you still want to make that point.

:smithicide:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

My dad and uncles installed a drop ceiling for my grandma, and well, one of those uncles hasn't talked to the rest of the family since.

It was a pretty bad experience all around.

e. to be clear they seriously had a fight over the drop ceiling and haven't talked for years because of it. :psyduck:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

There are lots of places that don't even have reliable PHONE service, so you can imagine how bad it can be trying to run DSL across those same lines.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

kastein posted:

NOT THIS loving poo poo AGAIN

I had great hopes this thread was going to stay on topic and I see goons are still goons. gently caress this I give up, have fun being stupid spergs and arguing about how much concrete something is or whether some dude is wearing shoes or not. I've got better poo poo to do than try and wade through a crummy 99% derailed thread.

Lol.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I washed my cat when it was younger when it got poop on it's butt of paws. And by wash I mean dip it in water and leave it locked in the bathroom to take care of the rest so that I didn't get cut or stabbed, and before it spent 10 or 15 minutes wandering around deciding where it should start cleaning.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

At that point, if they manage to steal it, they can have it.

Don't tell elon musk that

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

kid sinister posted:

You idiots need to get back to posting pictures of dangerous, horrible death traps.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

eh, soyuz-11 accidentally vented the atmosphere shortly before reentry because 2 rockets fired at the same time instead of sequentially, and soyuz-1's parachutes failed on reentry. Pretty darn good record otherwise though, it's really come a long way. Was just trying to be impartial.

e. Buran's final resting place might be more fitting for this thread though:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 21, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Enourmo posted:

I never realized it was a full stack in that hangar, thought it was just the orbiter.

:(

The Energia stack was just a mock up, at least.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

They built a new chemistry building on my campus recently, and are in the process of renovating the old one (which is connected in many ways). One of these ways were in the water lines... so a few months ago the contractors apparently hosed something up and wound up bursting a line in the new building, flooding the basement labs with a few feet of water.

Feel really bad for all the grad students who lost their experiments (or at least lost all the labels on their experiments/chemicals/whatever).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

poo poo. Wouldn't they have to call in some special cleanup for that? I mean, who knows what might have been added to the water that is now making a nice pool throughout the labs. Granted, it would be super dilute and probably pretty benign, but some poo poo you just don't wanna mess with, and I imagine that disposal of that water would potentially need to be tightly controlled. Sounds spendy beyond the obvious water damage.

As far as I know none of the chemicals were spilled in the process, so the worse they probably had to deal with is mold or something in the aftermath. Figuring out how to dispose of the chemicals that were suddenly unlabled was probably a pain though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Should be painted hi via safety yellow

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'm involved with some fairly clean physics experiments and we use a lot of guns for cleaning. The ion gun was ok, but the dry ice gun is pretty dope, although really they're just fancy compressed air blowers with fun names. Although actually I wouldn't want to get shot with the dry ice gun come to think of it.

That said if you're taking an ion gun through a TSA checkpoint in your carry on luggage, you should really let them know before it goes through the x-ray machine, it apparently triggers a lot of red flags.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

there wolf posted:

There was a thing that went around a few years back about scientists using "explain it to the TSA" as a model for explaining their work to laymen because how often they travel with odd stuff from their work.

My method was "I don't have room in my carry-on, you take it".

Also no laser gun, but a lot of what we're cleaning is poo poo like Teflon, dunno how a high powered laser would work with that. Probably too melty.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Not a very work safe Twitter account, but p. Good still

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Bonus: radiation shield!!

terrible for neutrons tho

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Just wear gloves if you're shoving your hands in the spiders domain, they were there first.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hail gay spider satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

Before the most recent ice age there was a swan that stood as tall as a human. I'd like to have seen that.

You know the extinction of giant (presumably rear end in a top hat) swans makes me think that once upon a time god didn't hate us all.