Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

value-brand cereal posted:

Nthed. Dahir inshaat is somewhere salivating at the thought of an indestructible bed.

that disaster bed video but when the earthquake hits it turns into killdozer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I think it's a rug. It's a bit of an optical illusion, but it looks like a rug to me.

The whole interior looks shopped to me. Especially the "kitchen". Something about the weird angles and masses of identical cabinets.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Yooper posted:

I watched a special about the Smithsonian disassembling Julia Childs' kitchen to move it to the museum and they discovered that the hood over the stove was just vented into the wall. Something like 40 years of built up gunk and grease inside of the studs. Not sure if it had an outlet somewhere far below or above but they said it was gross.

Better than nothing! My last rental didn't vent anywhere, it looked like it had a solid shaft that must house an exit pipe, but when I took it off it was just empty and the fan was blasting wet greasy air up the wall and across the ceiling.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Baronjutter posted:

A vented hood would be amazing. We're currently just leaving the oven on the heat our place which isn't ideal. If we don't have the oven on, it's 15 degrees. Luckily the reason the place is 15 degrees is that the 100 year old windows leak badly and you can feel a breeze running through even with all the windows shut so I hopefully won't die from CO.

I love how poo poo cancels out like this sometimes. Sure, your heating bill is obscene, but at least you'll never have to worry about mould or damp! :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

H110Hawk posted:

Our bathroom sink is a lovely ikea thing. We've never been able to get the drawers out of it previously and today was the day of reckoning because the sink was draining too slowly to be useful. Watching some YouTube video of how to do it and head scratching resulted in realizing the reason we couldn't unlock the drawers from their tracks is because they were never locked in the first place. Some brute force later and we find out why. Someone used loving tape. All 4 tracks are like this.

Why :cripes:

Flatpacks are so easy to assemble, like playing with lego, how does anyone manage to gently caress it up this bad?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

H110Hawk posted:

We've found a lot of things in this house that were done by "handy" people. Pray for the dried out little gasket thing in the trap I dutifully screwed back in yesterday.

My current rental was previously inhabited by such a person. I'd get into it but it's all very pedestrian by this thread's standards: pencil marks on all the walls denoting drill points for unfinished jobs, hacked up electrics, random screw plugs peppering all the brickwork, multiple ethernet ports that don't work, power sockets hanging out of walls, self-assembled furniture that exists at a permanent slant, etc

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I know you're posting that for the toilet but I'm over here :psyduck:ing at what appears to be an oven built into a bay window

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jaded Burnout posted:

The thing I heard for this being that people would hang their clothes (robes) in there so the smell would protect (ward) them from moths, but I've not seen that confirmed anywhere reputable. Seems like any closed box would achieve something similar in protecting them from light and such.

What smell? All the poo poo is at the bottom of whatever chasm the shitter is suspended over.

What I heard was you put clothes in a garderobe to keep them fresh, since you're basically hanging them outside under cover.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Discovered while shopping houses

Think I'll pass.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

sleepy gary posted:

Can you make a 3/4 inch frame to stick 19x19 filters into?

3/8" surely?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But to add some content, I saw this on imgur as "Polish Water Tower" and google tells me it's in Wroclaw.

I would absolutely live in this :iia:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sloppy posted:

I've got a well-rehearsed speech and a plethora of examples for clients about why they should never take the low bid contractor. Maybe 50% listen. The bar for a contractor's license is way too low imo.

Tangentially, I remember watching some show about self-employed truckers wherein one of the characters would consistently under-bid everyone else to the point of making jobs unprofitable because he was a kid being bankrolled by his dad to pursue trucking as a hobby.

He hosed up literally every single job he went on, 9 times out of 10 because his lovely box van was too small. He'd bid on stuff like moving a whole-rear end house saying "oh, it probably comes apart so I can ship it in pieces right?"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How does having a tape of insufficient length to plumb a mineshaft prove it's not a mineshaft?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jaded Burnout posted:

This one isn't the most egregious here but I'm particularly fascinated by it, because there's safety features in UK plugs that stop you from doing this, and you have to try quite hard to bypass it (including something like shoving a screwdriver into the earth pin hole on a live plug).

The best part about this is that safety feature is actually making the horrible hack work better; in the picture there's nothing stuck in the earth pin, so the safety shields covering live and neutral will be trying to close, clamping down on the wires and keeping them from falling out.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ice-cream van.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just out of frame: the 50m deep hole in that guy's floor.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I thought the whole point of digital signals was to avoid poo poo like this

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

AFewBricksShy posted:

I realize it might create a strange layout, but wouldn't it have worked out much better to just put the stove on a 45 degree angle in that corner?
You might lose 1/2 of an upper cabinet if you have to do something funky with the duct work (assuming that microwave is vented)

Try just... moving that whole side six inches to the left? There's clearly space! Sure you'd have it overhanging the wall past the sink by that much, but that would have been much less terrible than whatever this is

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
'cause it's a brick! :dadjoke:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Don't know if it's by the same person, but you can 3D print it too:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3924308

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The females, when they weren't impressed

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
And if it doesn't divide exactly, use more grout until it does

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GotLag posted:

You keep it in another room and take a roll in with you when you do a poo poo

A shower head hovering over a toilet is essentially an extra large bidet. Who needs paper?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I didn't even know SA had an HQ other than Lowtax's living room, but if I had this is exactly what I'd have expected it to look like.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Obviously they sell grenades, right?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Large bore sewer pipes are mostly routed under streets so as to make access for maintenance actually possible

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Love it when all my windows face directly into my neighbours' walls.

Why even bother having separate units at that point, just build a new Kowloon walled city

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm also certain that those suburbs are food deserts.

Regular deserts too; barely a spot of green in that pic.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GotLag posted:

The real crappy construction is single-use/Euclidean zoning.

Everywhere I've lived has been mixed use with shops and eateries within easy walking distance of my house, but I've passed through single-use tracts and they're intensely depressing.

I didn't know about this but it explains a lot

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm just thinking about how much heat those TVs would put out

Just cut some vents in the walls behind them and seal up the gaps in front, it'll be fine. Probably.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Greenhouses have been a thing for centuries so I'm going to say "better"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I like to imagine the grade continues inside the garage.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Easily solved with a funicular.

You joke but I wonder what that would cost to develop/install. I assume less than a vertical lift but couldn't tell you what I'm basing that on.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't know how I missed the obvious answer of "resurface the driveway with shellgrip".

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

You can't fool me, that shower unit is just a bathtub on its side!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I love that the description breathlessly refers to the nine person jail as "THE BEST PART"

I can't imagine why this huge mansion (with a bigass built in jail that you're not allowed to take out because it's a historical building) could possibly be selling for as little as $350k 🤔

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also love how they took sequential pictures of the prison doors and their view holes in various states of openness, made going through the pictures feel like an old point and click adventure game.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Now I'm wondering what it'd cost to deliberately dye pool water. Gonna get me a hot tub with purple water and toss in a bunch of that swirly glittery poo poo that comes in those novelty bottles of gin for good measure

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Real acid?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nurmie posted:

Weirdest thing is, it seems like there's plenty of space for the toilet in what I assume is the bathroom just to the right, just wtf

A bunch of older houses in the UK have the toilet in its own tiny room next to the bathroom like that. They usually only have one door though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

By popular demand posted:

If the internet taught me anything there must be people out there who wish to live in an eternally revolving wheel house wedge where no guest knows who's apartment he'll step into.

The inner wheel of toilets spins the other way so you never know which shitter you're going to get!