Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ductonius posted:

In any case I suspect they needed corrosion resistance for the marine environment and someone poo poo their pants when they looked at how expensive structure-rated stainless steel fasteners were going to be. Of course now, they're going to have to buy them anyway and spend the money to replace them.

When you build huge stuff (bridges, buildings, cruise ships) the cost of materials should always be calculated against the cost of failure.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't know poo poo about electricity but I was somewhat surprised by the fact that I couldn't get my vestibule lamp to appear 'dead' (the opposite of live?) when using a tester pen no matter what positions the two switches were in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I live in a residential development built in the late 1950s in Concord, CA. The box is on the side of the house, but it's on the street side of the fence that fences off my back yard. It's a couple feet from the meter and directly below the drop where pole power enters the house. Seems like a pretty convenient place for it, really.

It's locked, right? I mean it's not rare here to have them outside the house but not freely accessible to passers-by.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

longview posted:

I'd guess single pole switches on the wrong side (switching N) or you're in a country with no true neutral (switching one of the Ls), either case will put around 120-230V potential at the lamp compared to ground even though no current is flowing.

In theory you can touch the lamp terminals and be fine, but if you're in contact with anything else that's grounded you risk shocking yourself, IIRC you're always supposed to pull the fuse when working on those (really all the time) and short out the nearest outlet to where you're working with a piece of wire.

I just made sure not to touch two wires at the same time and I'm still alive. I don't even know where the fuse box is :( (I'm renting an apartment in a three-apartment house)

The house was built in 1909 by the way. They had to break into a switch box that had a smith-made lock to connect my ADSL.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You probably already realize this, but "Just don't touch both wires at once!" is an excellent and easy way to get yourself killed, even if it didn't in this particular case. You don't even necessarily need to touch both wires to shock yourself if you happen to be touching anything else that's grounded, let alone the risk of your hand slipping or you dropping it.

Well I was standing on a ladder (wooden) but it seemed a lot better than "touch both wires at the same time". Dropping what though? There's about 10 cm of each wire showing. I put insulating tape on the one I connected last since there was no way to avoid touching it while working, otherwise.

(I'm not saying it was safe anyway. The safe way would have been to wait for someone who could hold a torch for me so I could have turned the main switch but, alas, I did not.)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 11, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The cone thing is pushed up so it covers all the wires. It just slides along the cord and is held in place with friction (some have a tiny blunt plastic screw to make sure). This is perfectly normal for any pre-90s (or maybe late 80s?) ceiling lights.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen wire nuts used here for lamps, it's always just the "sugar cube" (as it's called). I have no idea why.

edit: Except after the nineties (I checked) of course. Newer installations have sockets.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 11, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iForge posted:

Ive done a lot of commercial fire alarm work and that looks exactly like the ones we used to use in panels, and they were not rated for 120v. He needs to change that terminal block out for wirenuts.

Good thing we don't use 120v.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just out of curiosity I checked out what Tukes (Safety technology centre) had to say about terminal blocks. Nothing alarming there, not even a suggestion to install a modern socket (although it's apparently one of the very few things a non-electrician can legally install), so I'm sure there haven't been any notable issues in the past hundred-or-so years.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 11, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I tried to look up what the hell wire nuts are called in Finnish (I know they're available since I've seen them used in cars) and all I've found so far is that some types were banned in the UK (maybe just a specific brand).

e: Can't find anything. I'll ask an electrician tomorrow.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 11, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DNova posted:

edit: He says wire nut = huppuliitin

Thanks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iForge posted:

a habit of coming loose on their own.

The general consensus on electrical safety sites on the internet seems to be that they can come loose if not properly tightened in the beginning, or if you use the wrong size so, you just did a poor job I guess? :smug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nmfree posted:

All you need is some tusks and a googly eye and you could always obliquely mention "the elephant in the room"

Ooh our old country place had a glacial erratic with a profile very much like that, maybe a bit bigger, between the tractor shed and the chicken house and we called it Elephant Rock. There were some much bigger ones at the edge of the forest and one of them always had rabbit poo poo on it (which is really odd since I don't see why an animal would climb a big rock just to do a poo) and we called it Rabbit poo poo Rock. Welp that's my big rock story hope you enjoyed it :tipshat:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

frozenpussy posted:

I feel like that orange shin-height rail is an extra hazard.

I'm guessing it's a really lovely forklift barrier?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

frozenpussy posted:

Of the attics I saw in San Antonio, every one had just one layer of insulation on the floor and that's it, and the underside of the ceilings were bare wood.

I think that's pretty normal. Why insulate something you're not heating?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zhentar posted:

You're heating/cooling the space your air handler is in, whether you want to or not.

Does it work worse in a cooler environment? If not, that's a moot point. (I don't know because this place has natural ventilation.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If the air inside the ducts is a different temperature from the air inside the attic, then some of that temperature differential inside the duct will be spent on changing the temperature of the attic, rather uselessly. The larger the temperature differential, the more energy is wasted. So if you're in a very cold environment and you're trying to run hot air through the ducts, you're wasting energy on heating the attic; if you're in a very hot environment and running cold air through the ducts, you're wasting energy on cooling the attic.

Well the obvious solution is to use insulated duct but I think that's not very popular in residential building?

(Slapping insulation on the ceiling may well be cheaper.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zhentar posted:

Ceiling insulation is typically R-38 to R-60. Duct insulation is typically R-4, and it has a larger temperature differential, and the ducts are pressurized/depressurized, forcing attic air in/out of any seams.

Seams? (The fittings have rubber gaskets on both surfaces so it's fairly tight.)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 3, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StormDrain posted:

And the TP holder with a spare roll space, but I would absolutely also love that in my home. Then I could be out of two rolls of paper at once.

Two? :lol:

e: I have never seen these anywhere except for the two I've got.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powerlurker posted:

Did they take a single-wide trailer and build a house around it or something?

Ooh I was wondering what that shape was.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's loving weird what the human body can acclimate to, and equally weird what individual people are unable to acclimate to. I'd love to see some stats on perceived heat and comfort correlated with various factors like volume of sweat produced controlled for time and temperature. I figure there have to be some genes involved, like the thermal version of that gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, or the one that makes skunk smell good.

Is the soap-cilantro gene even real or is it just an Internet thing cooked up by nerds with babby palates?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kaethela posted:

I don't have any pictures, since they haven't lived there in quite a long time, but my grandparents' old house had a door to nowhere on the second floor. I'm assuming there was meant to be a balcony there but if you opened that door and went through it you would immediately fall a good distance onto the driveway.

Isn't/wasn't this a common feature in some parts of America for... reasons?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kaethela posted:

if you opened that door and went through it you would immediately fall a good distance onto the driveway.

Technically not a door to nowhere then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KARMA! posted:

Those are just french balconies without the balcony part? :confused:

Russian French balconies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

You can anchor stuff into concrete, though?

It might tick off the admins more than holes in drywall, granted.

Wall plugs cost like 2$ a box - can't afford them!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard “oh, that second‐floor door to nowhere is so when you have a snow bank twelve feet high you can step out onto it”, but I suspect they were pulling my leg.

Oh definitely that's not it. No-one wants to step into a second-story-high snow bank unless they're suicidal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Might as well just have a super wide urinal then.

Also called a trough.

e:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 13, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

No, this aint Wrigley Field.

I don't know what that is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

If I was going to spend a personal fortune to build a crazy mansion to grow old and die in, the result would look a bit like that house.

Mine would look spoopy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

xyzzy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hello, Sailor

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magnus Praeda posted:

Why? What I can see looks okay. They've got a (presumably level) string line established. They're buttering the ends of the blocks adequately and the mortar looks fine. I can't guarantee it, but it looks square, too. They're even laying out the bricks ahead.

Most goons don't go out much so they don't realize actual construction work (even when properly done) doesn't look like Lego or Minecraft.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Guy with a Jersey Shore beach house decides the a stone yard hurts his feet too much and also that his shower need more very temporary "drainage" so he does some lovely digging and then covers it with shredded tire mulch (FYI, that poo poo floats and and also turns harder than stone in a couple years of sun exposure):

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4tfe7w/resurfaced_my_entire_back_yard_with_rubber/

Highlowlights:

This got so bad even for reddit that the subreddit moderators locked the comments.

It looks nice, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Did you see the "Before" 'cause the "Before" looked a lot better:

How could I have? Also I wouldn't want my back yard to look like a Satan's field.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Where do you put your feet :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Grover's shaved pubes is a better look?

You know it :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"FFFFUUUUCCCCKKKK"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've always found furry fans gross.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Melo posted:

Are you by any chance in NE Ohio? I do P&P work and saw literally that same fan the other day in the Medina area

What the heck are the blades made of that they grow mold like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Turn it on!