Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You've never needed to rinse off after a round of yard work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Like if you have a black mamba in your house, you may have a rat problem, but you should absolutely get rid of the snake that may kill you despite that. There are less risky ways to handle the rats.

This is the cool and right answer. Judge each spider on its individual merits, and find a less risky way to take care of your bugs than a black widow biting you because you spooked it. hth

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

How many spiders?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Not going to lie, I couldn't figure out what the gently caress you were talking about in the first two until I looked at the mirrors.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The inside's not bad but if you want a house that looks like as a friend put it "an iceberg hosed a googie church," look no further:

https://www.redfin.com/MI/Pinckney/3881-Hooker-Rd-48169/home/102501217

That... what would someone call that on the left there?

I've not been able to divine what lies within that... nub? But it does look like their window shaker might be exhausting into it?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm choosing to believe the tub is exactly as grungy as it looks and not an optical illusion caused by the lovely image quality.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The fact that there's this much debate over 2/5ths of a pound of meat when I do see a distressingly large number of scales in ounces is just one more reason why the metric system is superior by every conceivable measure.

This post brought to you by an American, in case anyone is doubting my authority on the stupidity of Freedom Units. And also, to be clear, the poster asking for 2/5ths is the rear end in a top hat.

edit: lovely snipe. Mods, please change either my name or the thread name to "2/5ths of a pound of meat"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No matter how I look at it I start getting vertigo.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Not gonna lie I would blow rear end into that toilet with every blind up because I want to imagine I'm a bird making GBS threads on the world below.

I mean there's probably roof access. Don't let your dreams be dreams.

Please keep your dreams as dreams.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wooger posted:

Thanks, now I have a fetish for watching posh women descend dangerously steep staircases.

I have a late Victorian/Edwardian house, selected partially because the staircase is spacious, straight, not horrifically steep, and there’s plenty of head clearance.

Unlike 90% of the other older houses I looked at.

My gf lives in a converted split level flat with stairs so steep and with a 180 turn that it’s like doing an assault course.

Guaranteed to be illegal if building new, or even just replacing them, they have a rise of standard modern ceiling height (2.4m ?) in just a 1m x 2m stairwell.

A few years ago I lived in a place where the only stair access to my room was what I affectionately called "murder stairs." They were the servant's stairs described in the video, and hoo boy.

They were a popular tour spot when we had parties.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My bathroom would be greatly improved by having a motorized poop wheel installed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tinytort posted:

https://i.imgur.com/fGRW1ru.jpg

Gamer toilet. For when you don't want bio breaks to get in the way of that WoW raid, I guess?

The his-and-hers toilet before that is more wtf, though, because it's set up so you can just look over and chat with the other person.

Sounds like something a fast casual or specialty restaurant would do.

Sit at our community toilets!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

That bathroom is worse than county jail. Good job everybody.

I dunno, the table would be nice for playing cards with the person on the other john.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

As someone who is in a fairly detailed line of work right now, it's heartening to see people in other industries who take detail work like inspections deathly seriously.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This is officially the worst thing I've seen all day. It has to be a joke. That circuit is definitely not live. It's just there for internet shock factor.

I keep telling myself.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

feet cold after shower/bath
carpet = warm
put carpet in bathroom = warm feet

that is the entirety of their thought process

(also maybe fear of slippery tile but bathmats existed back in the 70s so idk)

But, like, bathroom rugs exist. That you can wash. To get the mold out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Heated floors are COMMUNISM

A spectre is haunting DIY--the spectre of piss towels.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm the clean-out under the stairs, draining poo poo-water into the landscape stones.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The grubby plunger sitting in the rocks really completes this one for me.

I'm the raccoon-sized tunnel next to the plunger and cleanout.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That breaker panel was the biggest yikes moment, but I'm glad they included the voice over for "and the furnace is doing it's job."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

insta posted:

In ~ 2010, I had a gaming PC with dual watercooled overclocked 8800GTX GPUs and an Opteron processor. It drew a staggering amount of power when booting up a game, but at the desktop it idled fine. The apartment I was in put like 14 outlets on one breaker (which would trip occasionally), so most power draw from plug-in devices went through that circuit. One night, I started Oblivion, and the lights flickered and I heard a "bzzft" noise from elsewhere. The PC shut down, but the lights kept flickering. I went to the breaker box, and the offending circuit was spraying sparks out the front of the breaker switch. I smacked it with a broom handle until it shut off, and called emergency maintenance.

Now, mind you, the complex just had a unit burn to the ground like two weeks prior. Maintenance guy comes out, flips the breaker back on, gets showered in sparks, goes "eh you've got too many things plugged in", shuts it off, and leaves. Like, maybe I did -- but, "spraying sparks out the front" is not a failure mode of a breaker I'm ok with! It took them like a week to replace it, and I just took it because I was young and didn't know I had rights :(

I guess you must have lived in my unit back in 2010. Good news is the breaker panel doesn't spray sparks anymore. Bad news is that the wiring diagram is still nonsense and my bedroom on the 2nd floor west wall is connecting to a basement living room on the southeast wall, and so the breaker trips when someone decides they want to run a vacuum on that circuit. I have no idea about intermediate connections, but I suspect they are just as goofy.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"Look mortar fills in the gaps so just toss the bricks in a pile pump the mud in bingo bongo wall."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Watching the tape spool out was the creepiest thing I've seen in a while.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's somehow both open and claustrophobic because of how things are broken up and the way the ceiling slopes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean when you think about it, it's actually genius.

If no water goes in the drain, it can't ever get plugged up. This builder's avoided a common thing that people would be upset or annoyed about.

Instead you have a pool of fetid swamp water to stand in while you shower! Which in retrospect isn't all that different from a clogged drain is it?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

God dammit, I was just coming here to post this one

Its worth checking out, but I'm not gonna spoil the surprise by posting the pictures in here

edit:

Ok... looks normal...

...ok, it's hard to suss out the architecture with all the junk--wait, is that a mace?

...Uhhhhhhhh

I'm not sure how the tinfoil man helps sell the house but ok.

:stare:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No, see, it's permanent maintenance access to the dish. It's a feature!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've never touched a welding torch, but I'm certain I could do a better job. :piss:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm the failed attempt at a toenail joint. Also I feel like the hockey puck fill was someone trying to one-up a ramen repair and failing miserably.

Hey, hold up...

Now THAT's a nail. I can't actually tell what was trying to be accomplished here with the wall framing. I have a general notion of what it is supposed to look like, but the random boards and the fact the studs have been sawn through for nogging (i think that's the term?) rather than the other way around is loving with me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

canyoneer posted:

It looks like doomsday bunker meets pirated satellite HGTV where the channel only shows in black and white

My take was new urban living meets horror video game level.

I know some folks who'd kill for an in home stage if they hadn't ruined it by plopping a kitchen right in front of it.

edit: I suppose you can make a low-budget cooking show for your dinner guests?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

By popular demand posted:

That's either a wicked prank by the builders or a good way to never lose your phone.

It's actually Nokia's marketing technique.

Renaissance Robot posted:

'cause it's a brick! :dadjoke:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

By popular demand posted:

My favourite was always the 'roll down the stairs and hit a glass window' thing but Cities: Skylines doesn't get inside.

Look closer at the windows compared to other buildings. He couldn't model the inside, but he could texture the window frames to show off the goods.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Although not nearly as bad as the McMansions posted, for just being a generic suburban home, there is some slight window horror here on this house I walk by frequently

Those 2 top windows on the right are, for some reason, smaller than the ones below and not lined up at all, but also there's a random top window that IS like the first floor ones...and then those two random :sideways" windows with the fake square window panes.

There's window stairs in there somewhere, I can feel it.

Grover was here.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blindeye posted:

That; there's a fairly significant loading (I think 90 pounds laterally?) that those need to resist and they just can't. I guarantee they're also held in by two screws or something.

For reference, I built a set of stairs in my shop and used 2x4s to hold up the handrail spaced at 18" and even with six 3" screws on each one, the rail still isn't nearly as solid as one that is designed properly.

Do you have anything to show what designed properly looks like? I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what a properly secure railing should look like as a non-DIY non-carpentry person.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

D-LINK posted:

There's no newel post or similar hefty board to brace the rail at the foot of the stairs, and it doesn't appear to be sufficiently attached at the house end either. The crooked balusters will fail because they are crooked and weight will be distributed unevenly instead of straight down.

The simple answer to your question is that it's designed with crucial structural elements inexplicably missing, and it's poorly done.

Looks like I was halfway there then: my first thought was that the railing needed to be anchored to the side of the house. What I was fishing for was a discussion on proper railing design because it isn't something I've ever had to interact with but seems like something I should know.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MRC48B posted:

Hey man, panels are expensive.

So are houses.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Houses are insured. Are panels?

Checkmate.

:smug:

Oh I get it now. Insurance fraud.

You'd think they'd pick something less obvious, like backstabs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

Based on tweets about this monstrosity, the owners designed it themselves, and it's probably within 20 miles of my house.

A house stitched together from the corpses of three other houses, then animated by the spirit of bad architecture.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

You're not wrong on that. Good windows are expensive!

That's more akin to "The Veldt."

If I'm not mistaken, that's from the second episode of Black Mirror.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

I feel like it's crappy construction to have every single inch of floor space in a house covered in carpet but I wasn't alive in the 70s so maybe I just don't understand.

every

single

inch

of

floor

space

the 3D tour in the Zillow ad is a journey

The bathroom paneling in the last shot looks like something that was in the cheap rear end mobile home I grew up in. Also, drop ceiling? Is that in the basement or something? It's wildly different from the rest of the house which aside from the dumbshit carpeting isn't that awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ok, that was cool.