Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Wow indeed! How old were the titles, and when was it last surveyed? It blows my mind that someone would allow the drive to be built on their property in the first place ...if they knew that was the case. (And I'd laugh pretty hard if it turned out the drive was over an easement or something)

It's amazing how people can live on a tiny section for 20 years, then if you tell them that the fence is 200mm over the boundary, suddenly they need that extra square meter. (But if the fence is on the other side of the boundary, then it's all "Well, live and let live" )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

^^^ Right on. Micromanaged people have a nasty habit of skipping whatever they can get away with.

Bad Munki posted:

I think it's more just that I don't really know where the line is between "checking in on things" and "god drat this guy is loving here all day every day."

Good advice in this thread. Coming in and changing multiple items at the last minute tends to piss the people off, but if you are on good terms with the builders you can plan ahead, or better still, get everything right at the design stage.

Network any of your friends who happen to work in the industry, they'll know who's who. I've noticed that sometimes people do a better job on referrals because it gives them more of a personal stake in their work.

A construction cock-up for y'all:
Back when I started I went out with one of our techs to survey a bunch of stormwater and sewer lines in the car park of a big box store. When we arrived all the materials were still lying in piles and we were told to come back in a week or two because the work wasn't done. The drainlayers had started marking where all the pipes would go, and found that the drain grates were located at the all highest points of the parking area. The civil engineer had let a student design the drainage system and signed it off without checking it. A quick redesign and all was well, excepting a few completely wasted man-days.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

When I moved into my place it had a mixer like that. Two months later it started leaking (water dripping through light fixure was rather alarming! Glad that for once I'd bothered to find the mains tap prior to moving in.) The Plumber said that both problems were due to a cheap fixture and replaced it, life has been much more pleasant since. (cheap fixtures would certainly be in line with the rest of the house.)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwfDCdzNnnU
I've never built a wall before, but I'm pretty sure that's the wrong way to do it. Maybe that would work if you were an Inca stonemason working with 12 ton precision cut boulders.

:catstare:

I... I've never been so glad that I live on the opposite side of the world from russian population centers.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Activity for the day: Plot the footprint of this house for setout

Also the plans are slightly off the stated scale

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The designer must have had a bad day. There are 3 houses on this site, The first one is perfect, got all dimensions with totals so guys like me don't have to deal with interior wall bullshit, the second one is missing the depth and width for an entryway, nbd, and then this one is the other one.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

PMed and sorted... :3:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yep, width of interior and exterior walls in milimeters. More important is that it's impossible to plot from the dimensions given because we don't know how long the lounge is, how deep the entryway is, or anything about how the kitchen wall relates to the garage. (We know how wide the kitchen is, whoop de loving do!)

Here's the front house on site:

From a surveyor's point of view this is awesome, I just use the outside set of dimensions and I have the outline of the house in 5 minutes, and since the end point coincides with the start point, I know that the designer hasn't hosed up any of the dimensions.

Here's a migraine from a few years ago. (Baronjutter, avert your eyes.)They needed the position of the lift shaft marked on the ground. How far from out from, and how far along, is the lift shaft compared to the wall at the bottom of the page? Hope you enjoy counting toilet stalls! I think I eventually got a foundation plan that showed how far it was left right, but I never got anything else stating how far from the wall it was.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

If I was still in construction (flooring sub), I would refuse to bid on this. As I'm in commercial real estate now, I might look at these, but this is terrible and I hope someone gives the architect poo poo for that.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have done the same.

I laid out the columns for the main building as well, it was a steel frame. The guys running it had a bad habit of calling us and expecting us to be on site in one or two days, and being in the middle of the financial crisis, we enabled them. The day before the columns were set to be erected, they called me and told me they'd checked it and it was all wrong. (I distinctly remember the all). It was the biggest project I'd ever done at the time so I was making GBS threads myself.

The upshot was I went and checked everything with the site's #2 guy acting as my assistant and everything's drat near perfect. Turned out they'd decided to check a 60mx120m building using a 50m fiberglass measuring tape in one of the windiest sites in town, and then got all worried that the measurements are half a meter off what the plans say they should be.

The next time I was there, I asked how the frames had gone and they said that the worst one was 20mm out and the framing guys had found the whole job really easy. So what started as me nearly wetting my pants turned out to be a nice confidence booster.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

In a literal crappy construction tale it turns out that the sewer line under my house was put in with so little fall that the slight settling of the foundation over 40 years has resulted in sections which force the waste to flow uphill.

I am so glad I'm not the owner because they are going to have to tunnel under the slab to fix it.

Ooh, sounds expensive. Will they use a directional drill or something or does someone have to actually get under and spade it out? Bonus fun if the manhole it connects to isn't deep enough to make the pipe steeper.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

That video about little beavers was boring.

Au contraire, I thought the guy handling the beaver did some very good jiggling and thrusting. Excellent moustache well exceeding industry standards as well.

Motronic posted:

Black iron pipe doesn't belly under a sidewalk. Especially when you properly slurry fill under it after using your fancy boring machine.

I think Pony's landlord's problem is that they have to somehow connect up to the pipe underneath a house with no void underneath it. So in the end, they somehow need to get someone's hands under the house. Sucks to be that guy, I guess.

My employer did some work for a directional drilling company for a while and one of the local guys was drilling a sewer under a road. He hit a void, kept going. Later they found out that there was a conduit for an electricity transmission line under the middle of the road and they managed to go through it without hitting any of the cables. Wasn't marked on their maps because it was in a different category to the local ones.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 22, 2015

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Why don't they build ROW houses anymore? Not "townhouses" that are just glorified condos with lovely party walls between them but still one building with a shared roof and structure, but just narrow independently built buildings that happen to have 0 setbacks on the side walls? No strata, no common property, 1 lot, 1 building, side walls touching but separate structures. It seems like the best of both worlds. You can design/build/own your own house in what ever style you want, but still enjoy a dense walkable neighbourhood.

I just laid out a subdivision similar to this this last week. Auckland has a massive housing availability problem atm, so a lot of the usual restrictions that prevent densification have been relaxed in new build areas. The houses were separate, but with a block firewall on one side placed right against the boundary, so that they can get an increased yard space in the sunny side of the section. It also stops your neighbors on either side from seeing into your house. Private open space is still a joke though.

Had some crappy construction there, I first surveyed it out in march, 16 houses, 64 marker pegs, took a day and a half to get it all done. A little bigger than normal job for me, but so far so good. Then last week I get told to go out to the site and fix up any pegs that got knocked out. Turns out the earthmovers built the site 300mm too low so they bowled every marker putting in more fill. I wonder if the client will notice the extra $4800 for all the houses to be surveyed twice?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Part of the agenda for a planning meeting for a new apartment block last night:

-Can a wardrobe be counted as storage space?

Of course it all makes sense in the context of a bunch of extremely dull bylaws, but, well, it's still a thing that happened.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Mister Dog posted:

Metal as gently caress

:agreed:

Motronic posted:

Of course it can, depending on who is on the board.

Condo/homeowners associations are barely regulated poo poo shows that have a title encumbrance on you property. Avoid this like a plague.

HOAs aren't a thing in NZ. The townhouse I rent does have a caveat on the title stating that the colour of the exterior isn't supposed to change, but the caveator is the company that developed the place, I don't see it having much teeth. If I bought one, I'd paint it a bright colour just to see what happened, because living in a suburb of mandatory slate coloured houses annoys me.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Slanderer posted:

This makes me think of a reddit post that made the pretend lawyers over there froth at the mouth. Some guy had some lovely neighbors who sold a large part of their land, which included the access road to their house. The neighbors then demanded access to his land, and a Sheriff tried to make him open his gates for them. The original poster went silent based on advice from his lawyer, and the gibbering masses were left wanting. I'm told that for months afterwards the neckbeards in the legal advice subreddit sperged out hard anytime someone said "landlocked". Well, it turns out there was a conclusion to that story earlier this year, so I figure I'll post it (since I think I found the original post in this thread)

Here are the 3 posts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2o3g9g/neighbors_stupidly_caused_themselves_to_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2ooy1x/update_my_neighbors_caused_themselves_to_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4dci57/update_my_neighbors_caused_themselves_to_be/

Amazing. Do these rural places in the US allow amateurs to draw up and submit their own subdivisons? Any surveyor in NZ (and likely 90% of US jurisdictions) creating a landlock situation like that would have their license revoked immediately.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hee, surveyor misconduct hearings are fun:

Most are full of technical jargon, but I think you can get the gist of what's going on with this one.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Nice. Guess I was wrong. Do you know hold old the title is?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I found out what all those mcmansions are aspiring to. This is how you do modern decadence properly:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Permit costs are often a way for a local authority to make up revenue if they can't raise property taxes for some reason. Because the largest cost increases are mostly borne by developers, it tends to be quite a popular measure until people want to build and then they whinge endlessly about the red tape.

"No, the 50% hike in permit fees has nothing to do with the proposed rates rise being canned after public outcry." Yeah, right.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

No problems with black mold - the black lung will get you first.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There's not much work around for Ms Frizzle after she got addicted to cocaine.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Note to self: don't hire draughtsmen based 1000km downcountry.

Boundaries of property as drawn by draughter:

What boundaries actually looked like:

The digger driver was a bit alarmed when the offset to the back boundary overlapped the house site by 7 meters.

I wouldn't use a level benchmark based 100km away when there's another one 50km away either, but hey, what do I know, I'm just a field ape.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's New Zealand, so everything should be in transverse mercator :pwn:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

screaden posted:

Oh god. While I can't speak for the surveying, I work as a truss designer/estimator and the amount of times I've had to call up a drafty and say "actually no, a 200mm truss can't clear span 10 metres", is ridiculous. The worst example was a job on the south coast of australia, where blocks can go for $500,000+, and the construction company had an in house engineer, which because of this has now become a huge red flag for me, who asked for 200mm floor trusses over a clear span of 8 metres or so. When I called the builder to explain that if the trusses somehow didn't snap clean in half, you're going to have 12mm of deflection and be like walking around on a trampoline he just said to me, "Our engineer says it's fine so just do it that way."

I refused (with the support of our manager) so we obviously didn't get the job, but this was probably a 1.5 million dollar house on one of the most coveted spots along the coast and I was just kinda flabbergasted and worried for these poor people who are getting these guys to build this house for them (although this is probably their 5th beach house around the country so my sympathy was short lived). Technically it "worked" in our design program and that it could get signed off by an inspector but there is no way anyone would actually want to deal with living with that.

Yeah, there's a fuckton of guys out there who just seem to have a surface understanding of draughting, they are just drawing without realizing that it has to fit in with the real world.

They are the ones that go to pieces the moment that the lines aren't right angles. Perhaps 1 in 4 plans we get have significant mistakes in them, either not enough dimensions to plot the footprint accurately or the house + offsets don't actually fit on the property. In that case we see if we can fit the house using the most critical ones and check if it complies with the bylaws and often we can continue. A few times a year I have to return plans that simply don't have enough information to establish the location.

It gets quite easy to tell when someone has spent all their time drawing a pretty house and then dumped a smattering of dimensions on using the dim tool in five minutes at the end. At the other end of the scale some of the best guys often work for the long established franchise builders and supply plans which will have four or five rows of dimensions, one for each major trade, e.g one for the floor guys, one for the framing, for the walls halfway through the house, etc.

And then there's the architecturally designed luxury houses who love to trace contour lines off the council records system and then design a house with 30mm in freeboard between the roof and the maximum height limits. Then it becomes a lottery where second prize is "Oh also your house is breaching the height in relation to boundary rules by half a meter and we won't sign it off. You need to go back to the council and get an amended consent, and because if looms over your neighbour, he needs to sign off on it too."

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

E: Plot the lift shaft

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 30, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Why is the female umpire bathroom larger than the male umpire bathroom? Why are their toilets attached to walls that are directly opposite a meeting room? Why would anyone in "reception" want to be immediately outside the doors of a large bathroom? Why are there so loving many bathrooms?

That "teams room/meeting room" is just the best. It's gonna be a constant litany of the faint sounds of flushing toilets and running water in there.

To answer your first question, it's part of a Netball arena, so it'll be host to hordes of young women every week. The answer to the other questions is "No-one knows"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

While we're talking about drafting...one thing I've always kinda wanted to do is draft plans for my own house and then build it. Obviously any plans I'd come up with would have to get signoff by an actual architect as well as the building and planning committee of whatever city I'd build in (no Groverhaus here, please), but even given that, is this a tremendously stupid idea? I have zero formal schooling in this topic; it took me three tries to get my workshop's plans past the building/planning committee and that was a simple stick-built, single-floor, four-walls-and-a-roof deal.

I'm well aware that most people just find an architect who has a bunch of pre-existing plans, and then they pick one and/or mix-and-match plan subsets until they get something they're happy with. That feels like it'd be less satisfying to me though.

They hard bit isn't the technical drawing, there should be plenty of sources on that. But you'd need to do a hell of a lot of homework to get it right. Most designers have been taught the basic principles and then design around the council bylaws and the building code except where the client wants more. Because they do a lot of houses, they can think "OK, in this area we need a floor slab this thick, this brand of insulation will get the correct R value, the driveway will be this thick and We can get around impenetrable code clause 756.3.1.3.2B by doing this."

Obviously it's possible plenty of people DIY, and I think more people do it in America where the regulatory overhead is often lighter. The easier way would probably be to have a pet professional, rather than becoming an expert in every facet of house design.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The most convincing answer I found on a quick google is that the switched outlets were a hangover from old DC mains that were prone to arcing when the plug was removed. When AC power was introduced the problem disappeared, but consumers preferred the switched outlets for the convenience reasons mentioned already.

Another coincidental convenience that probably was more useful then than now is that if your more primitive appliances were faulty and started giving you shocks, then you could just turn it off at the wall.

Haifisch posted:

I can understand how old properties stay hosed up, but new ones? This isn't the 16th century, it's trivial to see what works worldwide and just copy it. :psyduck:

I shudder to think what the heating bills are like over there.

Colonial houses in ANZ were typically timber framed (I think what you call "balloon frame" over in the states) with weatherboard cladding. Because it doesn't go below freezing very much, they could get away with the lighter form of construction and people heated them with fires because there was no other option. Up until about the 70s everyone just wore jumpers and put up with cold, damp homes. Over the last 20 years or so we've realized that actually, even post 70s houses weren't insulated well and are extremely energy inefficient, and the building codes have been updated. Modern houses are better, my current one has double glazing and a sun catching design and I don't have to heat it even though it's the middle of winter right now.

From July 2019, it will be against the law to let a home without insulation in NZ, so we're still behind but trying to make progress.

E: Back when I was living in lovely places, the summer vs winter power bill would be about $70/$130 dollars per month where we used electric heaters.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 10, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

Given how expensive electricity is in NZ, has anyone been moving towards natural gas/propane instead?

Some new subdivisions are plumbed for gas, my current one has a gas hob and a heater outlet. A significant minority of people use gas by the bottle. Central heating is incredibly rare in houses.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's 50% accurate!

Going back to last week's draughting chat really briefly, is there a CAD drawing focused thread on the forums somewhere where I could post one of mine to get a critique that focuses on visual display of information?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

You could make a case for it as a turn of the century knockoff of baroque palaces, but at least it commits fully to it's style.

It's probably also much better constructed than, say this place

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BHC2DY_P78&t=164s

The rails are new construction and this is what they’re for. :psyduck:

"Hey, Joe, did you approve this?"
"Yeah"
"What stops the cart"
"It hits the end of the rails and stops"
"Is there any system to brake it before the end"
"No"
"What keeps the cart from flying off the tracks"
"The weight of a person kneeling on it"
"Did they work out where the bus shelter needed to be?"
"By the end of the tracks. Oh, the city supplied a standard design with glass sides"
"OK. What's for lunch?"

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Jordanis posted:

You could definitely farm a lot of moisture near Eugene.

The market is saturated!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Here's another style, half the time you never notice them even when they're real lovely

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

This is America boyo, American's would barely have room to find their dick in that room :911:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Wherever Sniperworeconverse lives?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There's bracing in the garage door and the adjacent window. Not a builder or designer, but my feel is that someone essentially drew up a normal house and added in the feature windows without regard for the extra weight or framing compromises.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Perfectly cromulent.

The picture of him standing in the trench covered in mud with this confused thousand yard stare is my personal favourite of the groverhaus series.

:same:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Apparently one of our clients just got fined $3000 because he demolished a house without disconnecting the fiber connection and the whole block's internet leaked away. :tubular:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Water gets into the fiber if you just snip the line (or snag it out with a digger). I guess the bit about the whole block going might be a bit suspect, just going on information received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

This is also the reason why the Ace of spades in a pack of cards is so ornate - it was a way of showing that the card tax had been paid.