Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Guesticles posted:

I was thinking Silence of the Lambs, actually.

Pickman's Model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

There are some nice pictures over in the Funny Pictures thread showing peoples' first impressions of the accommodations in Sochi.

Like this.
Or this.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

c0ldfuse posted:

Second, you didn't directly answer but I'm surmising from your text "a glu-lam beam has all integrity of a larger beam at lower cost."

If they use the right glue. This is what happens when the glue is not water vapor resistant.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

From the gif funny pictures thread.

e: original post was moved

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 4, 2014

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

We don't need it? Some folks have 3-phase setups in their garages, and it's not difficult to get it installed if you want it, but what normal household needs are there that demand three-phase setups?

In Germany it's mostly used for kitchen ranges.

Note that European three phase is 240V from any phase to neutral, 400V between phases. The US "high leg delta" system is quite different (240V between phases, 120V phase-to-neutral for two of them, and 208V between the "high leg" and neutral).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power#Three-wire_and_four-wire_circuits

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me -- can't you accomplish a significant portion of your heating/cooling in a normal house by digging a shaft down to that 55-degree range, looping it around a bit, then bringing it back up? Blow a fan through the resulting tunnel and do heat exchange with the ground. Seems like it'd be a great way to do some low-energy-cost climate control.

It might not be legal to do that. For example, I live in an area in southern Germany where geothermal heating is restricted, due to incidents like the one mentioned in this Wikipedia article.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

From the OSHA.jpg thread:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Nitrox posted:

Cold water wash only, constant sewage smell from open plumbing stack, vibrating washing machine supported by 2 shelf brackets. What's not to love?

Over here, washing machines have built-in heaters and require only cold water. (And I guess fear of the vibrating machine of doom overhead would be quite effective at distracting you from the smell.)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

If you have a bit of metal you can get a brick loose and if you wanted to you could basically just steal the sidewalk.
It would be more traditional to throw the loose pavers at the police. :anarchists:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

LiquidCatnip posted:

I totally meant osmium.

For fake realsies.

gotta love that glow yo.

But what about the terrible smell? I guess the osmium'll get used to it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Please tell me that's one of the ones where the glass goes opaque when you close the latch.

It looks like that from the inside. :pervert:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ashcans posted:

A lot of people complain about IKEA instructions and assembly but it all seems fine to me.

I've seen (and assembled :smith:) furniture with far worse instructions than IKEA's. At least IKEA shows what the different screws and thingies really look like, instead of using the same lovely stock drawing for screws of any size and shape. :bahgawd:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

"Flotex Metro Neon". For the weird neon sex dungeon home, or weird neon sex dungeon office.

Color choices include "shock", "flame", "lava", "acid" and "zest".

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

xlevus posted:

What goes through somebody's mind when they carpet over that poo poo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMUJI7dKbOo&t=110s
Translation:
- "Oh poo poo. Now I've buried my cigarettes. It'll be noon if I rip it all up again. Well, what's a hammer good for?" BANG BANG BANG "Nobody'll notice."
- "Mr. Hahn, you lost your cigarettes in the salon. Say, have you maybe seen my little doggie?"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

PainterofCrap posted:

With respect to expiration dates, I have salt with an expiration date on it. Salt. A mineral.

Matthew 5:13 posted:

You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under foot.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh man. Going back and looking at the listing, Bolderhouse is awesome! It's on top of a hill looking over a town in the desert. It's got a den that's nothing but bookshelves, a nice pool, a fantastic patio... Man, all that thing needs is some updated paint and paneling on the inside, and some updated land and rock scaping on the outside. If the electrical and plumbing and if the house is securely bolted to the boulder.

You could also chain your bike to it, saving on concrete.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

NancyPants posted:

I dunno, I always wondered about this. Concrete takes forever to set up, you just leave the guy alive to scream and possibly escape?

Maybe we've discovered why this method has never been used in reality?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cement_shoes

quote:

It has long been unclear whether such a cumbersome and time-consuming method of execution was practicable outside of Hollywood movies and books like E. L. Doctorow's Billy Bathgate. Cement takes hours to harden and, until 2016, there was never a documented case [...]
Concrete has been used as a weight to dispose of a body. In 1941, the body of Philadelphia racketeer Johnnie Goodman was found by crab fisherman in a New Jersey creek, weighed down with a 40-pound block of concrete.
Only 40 pounds? Amateurs.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

peanut posted:

You might also like...

Home of the Roma Kings

In a Romanian farm town, once itinerant traders have struck it rich, replacing caravans with mansions.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/09/wealthy-roma/oneill-text

Google Street View

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mtluyHcOnk

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

Double post, and I'm not sure what thread this is best in, but enjoy this collapsed bridge

Kick out the short walls, hey presto! You've got yourself an upgrade to a covered bridge.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Stone buildings could take years or even decades to erect, which might be years too late to be useful.
Visiting Guédelon will really make you appreciate this. Building in stone without power tools is effing hard.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

Is the sink big enough to vomit in and does it have a disposal?

https://www.forma-aqua.com/edelstahl-speibecken.php

How Germans Puke: Das Speibecken

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

MH Knights posted:

Weren't the Germans super close to actually adopting the H&K G11 even though it likely would have been a train wreck?

When I was in the Bundeswehr in 84/85, we were told that yes, the G11 would be introduced Really Soon Now, and it was going to be Great. I didn’t know too much about it, so I just shrugged it off as more bullshit. Five years later the wall fell, and I guess that was what killed the G11 - post reunification there just was no way to justify the expense.

Then some time ago I saw this video. Hoo boy, giving this to the standard army grunts would have been a shitshow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKcvM2Hh4g

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

And that's the really short tight carpet in my camping trailer, imagine what's hiding in your luxury deep pile carpet...

There could be a whole world in there.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

crazypeltast52 posted:

“I’m not touching that, let’s just cover it up”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMUJI7dKbOo
(In German, sorry.)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

The Bloop posted:

2nd question:
Can I download an app to turn my phone into a geiger counter or whatever

Amazingly, yes.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

peanut posted:

it's locked and/or goldmined.

Locked and tagged out.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

And two Weys of wool make a sack, And 12 sacks make a last. But a last of herrings contains 10 thousand, and each Thousand contains 10 hundred, and each hundred contains 120.
A last of leather consists of twenty dicker, and each dicker consists of ten skins.
Also a dicker of gloves consists of ten pairs, but a dicker of horse-shoes consists of twenty shoes.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

They seem fairly common around here.

But of course get someone qualified to do the drilling, so they don't accidentally hit the local aquifer, create a torrent of water that damages the whole street, and have to flee the country. (As was posted somewhere up thread.)

Or drill through a layer of anhydrite into groundwater, causing it to swell and damage your entire historical city center.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOgle88sKro

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Non-crappy construction: If you can understand German, here's a 1998 documentary about building a wind tower (for cooling a house) in Yazd, Iran, out of mostly mud bricks and clay mortar. (Even if you can't understand the narrative, it might still be interesting.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSxDPjpqVaw

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

There's a cartoon of two guys tiling a room from opposite sides and getting into a fistfight when they meet and discover they have two adjacent black tiles. Can't find it online, unfortunately.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

wooger posted:

How is being in Finland a downside?

Admittedly a little cold, by the summer is amazing.

If you can tolerate the mosquitoes, sure.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Every morning at the same time a single kid steps out of every door. Then they all start bouncing balls in sync with each other.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

uvar posted:

At least there's no extra apostrophes

"I know how to start spelling bananananasbuseseseses but I don’t know how to stop."

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nice open plan pit kitchen

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

I hope that's just rust on the bunks.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't know if I'd swim in green pool water, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

D-LINK posted:

A teaspoonful of potassium permanganate would turn an entire pool purple and cost you pennies

Might also give you a nice orange fake tan.