Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

Don't garage doors have a pressure sensor? All the ones I've known in the past 20-30 years or so use the IR sensor, but I seem to remember in my younger days before they used IR that if you shoved something under the garage door, it would stop and open back up.

edit: if pressure sensors have been replaced by IR optic sensors, I just came up with a new idea for a high output can crusher.

I think it's more of torque limiter that goes into reverse if the electric motor suddenly increases load due to something stopping the door from traveling all the way down.

Regardless, I think the downforce is still enough crush pets and break little Jimmy's bones before that kicks in. That's why IR beams are mandated now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CopperHound posted:

Why do all these improperly installed sensors still have all the excess wire slack? Are they delusional enough to think that they will fix it later? :effort:

e: Or does the wire come stripped and they are too lazy to cut and strip it again?

The part where they're lazy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

These machines blow my mind much the same way knitting machines do. Yes, I know mechanically it's not terribly complicated, I still find it impressive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Motronic posted:

You said a bag of concrete. 400 lbs would be 5 bags. So is it 400 lbs or 80?

Jesus, as much as I'm in awe that the motorcycle anchor de-rail has gone on so long, can everyone stop sperging about the weight. If you don't believe him just up and say "I don't believe it weighs that much" But no, Goons gotta ask leading question like Perry loving Mason thinking they can trap Nemesis into some sort of self-incrimination like any of it matters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LiquidCatnip posted:

dammit my urianum won't fit guys you might have caught me in a bit of a fabrication... I'll try to become a better example to others.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4000000+lbs+%2F+density+of+uranium

I trusted you!

:cripes:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

uwaeve posted:

Consider putting your bike halfway down a 800-foot-long, 12% grade zipline for security.
I forgot about that one.

apatite posted:

Nope, won't work. I wouldn't steal this guy's bike and concrete block but would totally ride that zipline and ride off into the sunset lauging maniacally
Nah, you'd be dead if you used that zip line. Like slam into the end support at 60mph dead.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

apatite posted:

Sorry to interrupt vidyagame chat, but has this shown up here yet?

wow. That's... wow.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Manslaughter posted:

Either the camera has lens distortion, or my mind is mentally viewing that load bearing 2x4 as bowing. Or, it is already bowing.

No. It's totally bowing. Compare it to the the other straight lines near it. Barrelling usually happens on the sides with wide angle lenses and affects everything in the picture, not just certain elements.

EDITS: The knottiness of the wood is just icing on the cake.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 27, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Orange Mage posted:

If that's a door up there, someone's gonna step out for a smoke and die of something other than lung cancer. :v:

However, it looks like it's up a against a window, so I'll naively pretend that someone built a deck for their cat(s).

No, I'm pretty sure that's a door. It has a porch light and everything. Count the siding.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As I understand it the main thing is to avoid using inspectors recommended by the realtor, to avoid a conflict of interest. So go on Yelp and find ones with decent reviews.

But yeah, absolutely do not buy a house that hasn't been inspected. And I'd suggest that you try to stay intimately involved in this process as a semi-impartial third party, because it's very easy to get emotionally invested in "your" house, which could lead your parents to make bad decisions.

Mine was recommended by my lender (I went through a bank instead of an independent broker), and they were awesome. The guy went out one day and spent most of the day poking around, and then made an appointment with me for the next week after he had finished the report. He told me to block out about four hours and he took me around the house showing me everything he found major to minor. He also handed me a 1.5 inch binder with about 50 pages of findings and another 20 pages with three color photos per page (referred to in the report).

The "major" things, the seller took care of before close. And I've been steadily fixing the minor things over the years. When I finish, I may just call them back out to give the house a once over.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laminator posted:

I was looking at houses down in Austin and one of them was an old lady special, ugly as hell but looked like it was well-maintained. Thanks to this thread I remembered that some breaker panels were bad, but I couldn't remember which, so I snapped a picture...

STAB-LOK :argh:

So, I had to look it up, because I was unaware of the STAB-LOK brand. From the 2nd article (the 1st being warnings about overloads NOT tripping breakers and fire hazard) of googling 'stab lok problems'.

quote:

So why don't I recommend having an electrician evaluate the panel? There's no point.

The gist was don't bother with testing, if you see the brand STAB-LOK anywhere just have it replaced outright.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

No, he thought "I'm getting paid to run these wires. I'm not getting paid to tell my supervisor he's wrong."

It seems to be a common sentiment in Asia, from what I've heard.

We have some offices out in Asia-land. And it's less "not getting paid to tell..." and more "I better keep my head down and not say anything or I'll get reprimanded or fired". This seems to be more of a management philosophy than anything.

I mean, *we* don't do that. But a lot of our employees over there have an employment history like that, so it can take a year before they believe us when we say, "Seriously, you can tell us when you think we're doing something wrong. If that's not the case, we're not going to fire you or even discipline you, we'll just explain how you're mistaken. And if you're right, you might save the company a lot of time and money, and get some sort of recognition of a monetary variety".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DNova posted:

Earlier in the thread a bunch of people got angry at the idea of homeowners checking in on construction on a daily basis.

Yes, but *those* contractors were obviously the good ones. It's the bad ones you need to ride herd on and they should have known through the bond with their home that something was awry.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pac man frogs posted:

I did my first house inspection on Monday and saw a whole lot of awesome gems. We knew this place was going to need some work, but really...

This is the bathroom in the ADU. Just take the thought process that put this together in the first place, then extend that to literally any single aspect of this entire chopped up colonial turned quadplex(ish). It just gets fractally weirder the closer you look.

See if you can unravel all of the layers that make up the majestic glory that is this shower.

Is there no drain in that thing?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

I genuinely dislike the lack of natural white light that LEDs have. Have they fixed that or are you still dealing with huge chunks of the spectrum missing?

The nice thing about LEDs is you can combine as many different wavelengths as you'd like by including the appropriate diodes. I have 40W and 60W "soft white" equivalents all through the house and I honestly can't tell the difference between them and incandescents (unlike CFLs).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nm posted:

That bit about explicit permission is exactly what I'd say if someone wanted me to pay for medical treatment and U was unethical. He may be telling the truth, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
As for the other guy, if the lawn guy hires help, that isn't a big deal either.

Yeah, that "explicit permission" thing is bullshit. There's no way they OK'd every time he'd mow the yard once it became a regular thing. My neighbor's little kids always end up with a ball or frisbee or something in my yard, I usually toss it back over the fence if I notice. I've told them to feel free to come into the yard and grab it themselves, just peek over the fence and make sure the dogs aren't out. The thing is the dogs would never attack, but I don't want the neighbor to worry about it (although the whole family of them has met the dogs). Plus they're *never* out if I'm not home and have no way of getting out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I'm just saying: you bring a stranger with you to someone's property where you know there's a dog, and you can see they're not home, then it's on you to make sure your buddy is safe.

Absolutely agreed.

The whole thing sounds like a huge spite-fest. I've been lucky with neighbors so far. No Hatfield/McCoy level poo poo yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DNova posted:

You would be surprised what kind of insurance people intentionally do not have, such as flood insurance where floods are probable (and thus insurance against them is very costly). I'm not sure if the ground literally falling into the ocean counts as a flood or not though.

Acts of god. And some are and are not included depending on the actuary tables for your property.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

If you've ever bought a house, it's easy to understand. You review and sign hundreds of pages of documents (literally, I think I went through at least 300), and you usually do this in a meeting where you need to get through them all, and you've already had your closing delayed twice, and you've got to move in the next two days or you're goign to have to pay another month's rate on top of all your mortgage and new loan and moving expenses.

This is why you pay the extra $500 or so and have a lawyer review the documentation and be present at the closing to for any changes and amendments. Worth every penny.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Easy Mac posted:

I don't know anyone who had a lawyer when buying a house. So I don't know how you jumped to your conclusion.

Really? All mortgage lenders in the US I know of require it, along with an independent home inspection. In fact, you *have* to supply them with the names of both so they can verify or the mortgage gets stopped in its tracks. It's not a legal requirement, but no one will lend you money if you don't.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Terrible Robot posted:

My buddy who runs a small construction company is constantly having problems with poo poo like this because lazy/drunk/high employees.

God drat. Coping saws are not difficult tools to learn. Hell that type of join could probably be mitered.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

As noted juuuust upthread, measuring both diagonals doesn't actually guarantee you have square corners; the room could be trapezoidal. You have to make sure that at least one corner is square in and of itself, too, or make sure that the walls are the same lengths.

Unless you have a right-angle trapezoid. One 90 degree corner, Two 89 degree corners and one 92 degree corner would be an example.

EDIT: ^^ What he said.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SubCrid TC posted:

Anyone have the website of the home inspector with the hilariously in depth reports and maintenance manual that comes up every once in a while in the thread? He's around Vancouver and I think I'm going to try and convince a friend to use him.

Are you talking about the guy with the TV Shows? Mike Holmes?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've lived in Illinois all my life in numerous places with dishwashers and have never seen one with a switch. Inspector didn't mention it on my current home either.

Same here. I bought my house 5 years ago and it was completely rennovated. The disposal has a switch just to the left of the sink, but the dishwasher has none. I even looked under the sink next to where the dishwasher is.

Zhentar posted:

Edit: I know not all of IL has adopted NEC, but the requirement for dishwasher disconnects was rewritten for the 2011 NEC because the old version was widely misunderstood to allow the circuit breaker to meet the disconnect requirement.

OK, that would probably explain it since I bought mine right at the tail end of 2010.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Dishwashers fail frquently enough that surely you'd want then plugged into a normal electrical outlet anyway?
Over here they are plugged in like any other kitchen appliance and plumbed into a normal faucet so you can do that yourself too.

I'd have to pull mine out, but I'm pretty sure mine is plugged into an outlet instead of direct wiring, like my washer and dryer are both plugged into a wall outlet in the laundry room. I know the water is hooked up directly to the feed to the kitchen sink faucet with what I'm guessing is a ball valve. But no switch in sight. Just one for the disposal.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Picture is kind of small, but is that a set of French Doors that open on thin air?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Javid posted:

Current minor gripe with my place. The layout is approximately this:

The a/c unit is one of the big heat/cool combos you see in hotels. Easily has the juice to keep the place cool.

However, due to the layout, it keeps the living room at whatever I set it at, but the bedroom is 8-10 degrees warmer. I've tried various combinations of fans to try and suck the cool air into the bedroom, to no effect. If I wasn't renting I'd just put a hole in the wall in the back of the closet and mount a fan in there, but alas. And I don't want to crank it up to arctic because then my power bill will be stupid and the living room will be 65 degrees just to have the bedroom at 73.

During the winter, it's not an issue, as there's a small secondary heater in the wall of the bedroom. No backup A/C though unless I want to stick a window unit in one of the three windows this place has and increase my power bill.

Honestly, a small 8000 BTU window unit on a timer shouldn't impact your electrical too much. They're pretty efficient these days if you purchase a quality model. Hell, you could probably go smaller depending on the square footage.

You can also get exhaust fans made to be installed in windows to suck air into the room, but then your main A/C would be running a whole lot more. A dedicated A/C for the bedroom would probably be more power efficient.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 3, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

baquerd posted:

Depends on your perspective for impact. It'll run a good $20-50 a month depending on how you use it and the outside temps.

True. It's a bedroom in a 1 bedroom apt, so I'm assuming most activity is in the main room. You could set a timer to kick off about an hour before you normally go to sleep to get the room comfortable and have it turn off after you wake.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kazy posted:

Clickhole did a relevant article. :v:

7 Party-Saving Tricks To Keep The Fun Going After Your Deck’s Collapsed

"Your deck may have collapsed, but act quickly and you can still save this thing. Here are seven genius hacks guaranteed to get your party humming again."

Hahahaha

quote:

“Uh, sorry, what deck collapse were you talking about? I was too busy getting BEER out of a WATERMELON.”

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Yeah, I've got zero faith that they didn't just run daisy-chained lamp extension cords through some old pipe and called it a day. It's my folks place and apparently the state of the electrical was a concern when they bought the place that they've only partially remedied.
Speaking of which, are there any decent online/free resources for homeowners redoing electrical stuff? It's all witchcraft from where I'm standing.

Not free, but inexpensive. My dad bought me the previous editions of these when I bought my house and they were invaluable when I decided to add another circuit for the home theater/gaming stuff. Eventually, I'm going to have to re-do a lot of the pre-exsiting electrical in the house since some of it is questionable at best, but I may just hire a contractor at that point. I'll have to see what I uncover as I poke around.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Complete-Wiring-Updated/dp/159186612X

This is also in my library.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Advanced-Home-Wiring/dp/1589237021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Finagle posted:

I guess my questions are:
1) Just how BAD is this?
2) My best friend took a look at this and his concern is that because "the type of corrugated plastic pipe" its possible just going back into the drain area that the sump pump drains in the first place, rather than out to the street/away from the house. Is that right? How do I even tell?
3) Is this easily fixed by either A) getting a cap for the drain pipe in the ground and connecting it up to pipe from the house? (Something like this is what I'm trying to describe poorly: or B) just extending the pipe from the house to actual go INTO the pipe in the ground, so it splashing and flooding the area around the pipe isn't an issue?

I'm new to owning a house, and while I am very confident in my ability to LEARN to do things, I am also very aware that I am starting from scratch in most of my knowledge. Add to that that I'm going back to school (and thus quitting my job here in a couple weeks) so stopping problems before they start is something I really want to do where possible!

This needs to be in the FiF thread.

However:

1 - Bad maybe
2 - That could be drainage to a ditch or set to discharge in the soil in your lawn (usually in a gravel bed under a layer of soil). Or you could just be recirculating into the sump. But you won't know unless you dig it up. (EDIT: or the colored water trick... there's always a simpler solution...)
3 - Yes it can be fixed easily. It just looks like the flange disconnected from the drain tile. Mine is set up where the PVC goes into the ground, has a 90 elbow into a flange which connects to drain tile that empties into my ditch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sylink posted:

If I'm paying someone thousands of dollars or more they can go gently caress themselves as far as how often I show up to my own property. As long as I dont interfere with the work itself.

You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide :ninja:

And the most skilled tradesmen will say gently caress this micromanagement bullshit, and go to another job site for the sub or the gc.

So, well done?

As was said, end of the day inspections are cool. Hovering over the job site during the day is being a dick.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Holy poo poo, there are other reasons behind a ban than "smoke". Like fire. When I lived in an apartment, one of the buildings went up because an upper level BBQ caught an eave on fire and it crawled across the roof and burned the whole drat building down.

That being said, the FD *could* have saved it, if the person responsible hadn't panicked and drove off in their car (and was drunk as well). By the time the fire system detected it, it was too late. Pretty much every exterior surface was starting to go up. It's a miracle nobody was killed. Some dogs and cats died.

The last I heard the company that owned the complex was looking to sue her for the replacement of the entire building (not sure if renter's insurance covers at fault for that amount, probably not) and the city was looking at bringing criminal charges.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jeherrin posted:

structural air

I have a friend who calls poorly installed beams "Suspensions of Belief".

He's a general contractor that came with me when I was house hunting (he charged a 6 pack of beer per house). Of course once I found I place I liked, I had a reputable house inspector go through the place as well. I think my mortgage lender required it, but I would have done it regardless.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tyson Tomko posted:

Damnit I just blew 30 minutes watching that video too, man I love that guy. The way he cuts beams with his circular saw (pipe cutter style) is badass too. I have no idea if this is common practice or not but he does it effortlessly.

It's been said over and over but poo poo can he drive a nail.

It's hypnotic. I had to actually remind myself I wanted to do some coding on my hobby project tonight to stop watching.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tigntink posted:

I just had ductless AC/heat units installed on each floor of my house and it's been the best decision ever. They are supposed to be far more efficient than central. The heat they provide doesn't make me feel like i'm going to have a nosebleed and the AC is steady awesome. And they are nearly silent. I can't understand why more of the US doesn't use these things. My sister said this is all they installed in Iraq and she loves them.

How much (ballpark) did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sleepy gary posted:

I got a quote of $1,800 to install central air (2 ton) in one of my places. $12,000 is insanity to me.

Wow, that's insanely cheap. My last quote for a 2.5 ton unit + new furnace and pipes for the coolant came to about $7500.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

They make rugs.

Washable rugs.

Cheap washable rugs.

Cheap washable rugs that can be thrown the gently caress out when they get ratty.

I feel like these mats made specifically for the bathroom should be called something.

Mat-baths maybe?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Motronic posted:

pee-sopping rugs.

Nasty.

Oh, yeah. The ones that are fitted for toilets are gross. I was thinking more specifically about the little ones with the rubberized back set just outside the tub.

And seriously, if your flow control is so bad that you need to have a mop on standby every time you tinkle, just give up as a failure at being an adult male and pee sitting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

It's still not as completely loving hilarious as Big Bertha up in Seattle.

I mean, they need to tear down the Alaskan Way viaduct, because it's obsolete and a decent quake is going to pancake it, Lomo-Prieta style. And it's a lovely road that completely cuts the city off from its own waterfront. So instead of just replacing it with nothing except good urban waterfront stuff, or just surface streets, they decide they're going to engage in a project that makes Boston's Big Dig look like a miracle of financial restraint: bury a replacement highway! I mean, sure, it's just another way to get traffic to bypass local merchants and such, but you could put parks and stuff on top of it and still come out ahead? But what if the tunnel machinebreaks? Or what if it starts screwing up the foundation supports for the nearby historic buildings of the district you're digging under? What about cost overruns? "Oh, none of that will happen."

And of course, all of that happened. The best part is what the tunnel-boring machine struck to break it in the first place a steel well casing left over from the initial spoil-sample wells. No, wait, the best part is that while the state passed a law making Seattle responsible for all cost overruns, and Seattle passed a law limiting its liability to cost overruns to $x million (some specific number, I forget what), the overruns are already rapidly reaching that value, at which point the prime stops getting paid, probably walks off the job, and a lot of lawyers get to buy new boats. And, of course, paying for the overruns has already depleted the funds that were supposed to go to building parks and other nice urban waterfront things at ground level.

Living in the Chicago area, I wasn't aware of this so did some quick googling and read a couple of your local newspaper articles.

Holy poo poo, that whole thing is hosed.

From what I read, even the city council realizes they're stuck with STL, because after what's been happening no other contractor will want to touch this with a 10 foot pole. And theres worries that STL's internal finances may run out (if I read that correctly), and they've already spent $1bn of a budgeted $1.35bn and there's a still a lot of tunnel to go.

At this point, aren't they more or less committed? If they end up having to flatten the viaduct, won't they have to do something about this aborted hole in the ground? Not to mention the costs involved with that after pissing away over $1bn dollars.