Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Where are shower stall lips so high that they give people trouble?!

My grandfather can barely do the ~4 inch steps up his front porch, and that's when he's completely dry and wearing shoes with good traction. It doesn't have to be particularly big to give people like him trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It was stupid, but the neighbor going "Well, I'm taking down this perfectly good shared fence just to make you put up a fence" is pretty spiteful, too. I'd be cool with calling it even on that score. I mean, goddamn, "Your dog bit somebody, so I am taking down my fence, I hope you will be ready to take precautions with your dog" is a pretty big dick move.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One of the EMS stations I work out of is one large room with two light fixtures and two ceiling fan+fixture combinations. There are two light switches there and each switch controls one fixture and one fan+fixture combo. This means that the only way to run the ceiling fans at night WHILE having the lights off is to unscrew all the lightbulbs in the plain fixtures, and the only way to have the place properly lit during the day is to go around and screw them all back in. This means that we just deal with the fact that the place is dark as gently caress all the time because half the lights are out.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

canyoneer posted:

That sounds like an RPG puzzle, and if you hit the right combination of switches the secret door will open

There's also a mystery switch across the station from the kitchen that controls the kitchen lights, one of the light switches has a duplicate switch(but only one of them) and there's a switch in the bathroom that controls the supply closet light.

I would not be surprised if the right combination led me to a treasure chest.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Javid posted:

This area is not quite podunk enough that "small water leak" rates the local news.

A lot of the news stations around here have "troubleshooters" type segments where they do stories like "This woman spent a month trying to get the city water department to fix a leak and they refused. We get to the bottom of it!".

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NancyPants posted:

People are weird about dented cans because it's the best way to get botulism short of a dirty canning operation. Dents can create pinhole leaks and the environment in a lot of canned goods is really great for growing c. botulinum bacteria. US health departments stopped loving around with botulism and that's why it's so rare these days, but it doesn't mean you can't still get sick eating food with damaged packaging.

Yeah, that. Sure, it's highly unlikely that I'd actually get sick from a dented can, but it's also utterly trivial to avoid that risk, so I avoid it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

No one has AC here and a few electric base board heaters usually do us for winter. Gets around 0-5 in winter and 20-30 in summer. Everyone just bitches endlessly during the couple weeks it's 25+ about how hot their place is and they can't sleep and how they're totally going to buy an AC system for next year but never do.

Summer temperatures where I live run 36-38C; 20-30 would be "a pleasant spring day".

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Those posts look lovely (and no footings???) but it's obviously just a wheel chair ramp they added in, no need to remove the stairs. The next people to use the house can then just demo the ramp and have normal stairs back. I see that all the time with old people "aging in place". A lot of these olds get their kids to come build them a ramp or something, so they're not always built to the highest standards. Specially because the people building them don't expect the ramp to be needed for long :(

That's a particularly bad example of a wheelchair ramp, because there's absolutely no way in hell EMS is ever going to get a stretcher through that door; there's just not enough room to take that corner with a long stretcher. It also looks like it's tight enough to be awkward with either a wheelchair or a power scooter. Would have done better to have the ramp coming straight away from the door.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Why don't they build ROW houses anymore? Not "townhouses" that are just glorified condos with lovely party walls between them but still one building with a shared roof and structure, but just narrow independently built buildings that happen to have 0 setbacks on the side walls? No strata, no common property, 1 lot, 1 building, side walls touching but separate structures. It seems like the best of both worlds. You can design/build/own your own house in what ever style you want, but still enjoy a dense walkable neighbourhood.

Because people don't want dense walkable neighborhoods, they want space.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

frozenpussy posted:

At each end of the attic were 18' vents and even though it was October the temperature in the attic was heat stroke territory.

To be fair October in San Antonio can still be in the 90's.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm often confused by how high american's energy costs are related to heating/cooling their homes. I just assumed only american in more tropical areas had AC, but apparently the number is 87% ?!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/07/22/europe-to-america-your-love-of-air-conditioning-is-stupid/

I know the hotels here say their #1 complain from american tourists is the lack of AC.

Where is 'here'? I'm assuming somewhere in Europe. Northern Spain is at roughly the same latitude as Vermont. France is roughly the same latitude as Maine. Pretty much all of the US is more tropical than Europe. Where I live(Texas) we're in the 90's for 5 months of the year and in the mid-high 80's for probably another 3. And it's awfully humid for most of that time, as well, and even the low 80's feel miserable with high humidity.

Baronjutter posted:

Like it's a blazing hot day so I'm dressed for it, then I walk into a shop or office and am hit with a blast of cold air. Initially it's refreshing then I realize I'm god drat cold in my shorts and tshirt. The same goes for the winter. I'm out and about outside so I'm obviously dressed for winter, then I go indoors and it's that same exact "indoor" temperature. Even taking off my coat, I'm still wearing a sweater and heavy clothes. People are going to be dressed for the weather, so make your building a little cooler in the winter and allow it to get a bit warmer in the summer. You can still heat and cool, just do it taking into account that people are going to be wearing different things.

I am curious as to what your definition of a "blazing hot day" is. My personal scale doesn't hit blazing hot until about 105F (40C), with 97-100 being "average summer day".

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Air conditioning rules but I really don't understand the people that keep it cranked to insanely low temperatures. Here in Texas unless you have a medical condition you should be able to deal with 85 degrees no problem so why on earth do people keep their A/C set to 72 all day? I hear people complain about $300-$400 per month electric bills sometimes.

On the flip side natural gas is so loving cheap here there isn't an economic reason to not have your house at tropical island temperatures all winter.

Cause 85 is awfully loving hot to keep your house when you don't have to? 72 is a bit insane, but I keep it at 78 with no regrets.

Darchangel posted:

also, come to Texas in about July, and tell me again about "cool night air." We're lucky if it's not still 95F at 2 AM...

And even during the few months out of the year when it is nice cool night air it's often hellaciously humid nice cool night air, so that all that nice cool air makes your bedroom unpleasantly damp.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

flosofl posted:

Was it this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4QI1itQCw0

Around 2 minutes for the start of nail magic.

EDIT: God drat it. There goes my day. Now I have to watch the entire series. Again.
Watching him just eyeball those plunge cuts with the circular saw is even more impressive imo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Is there really a point to running CAT6? CAT5e can do gigabit, is easier to run and terminate, and honestly I don't see 10 Gig being a thing in the home any time soon.

It's not much more expensive and running cables through the attic sucks balls, especially during the summer. You run CAT6 now so that you don't have to go up there and re-run it later.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

High Lord Elbow posted:

I don't see why anyone building new wouldn't do this. It's amazing.

Pretty sure you answered your own question here.

High Lord Elbow posted:

System was jaw-droppingly expensive

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

You didn't want to get some eye bolts to hang the swing so your kid doesn't break their leg?

You want to get specific swing hangers with the nylon bushings or the noise will drive you mad.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is literally a strap the pt to a spineboard and man handle them through the ladder hole with engine + ambulance crew you've got 6 people to do this. So if you live in the middle of nowhere I guess that could be an hour but anywhere civilized that's a 5-15 min response time. Guy says he's a firefighter at the end of the post so I would be slightly intrigued as to what he thinks is so complicated about this particular rescue he describes. Source: EMT with almost 7 years full-time and associated PT since then + rescue squad stuff.

As a fellow EMT, I have to say that if you told me to climb down there I'd tell you to go gently caress yourself. Scene safety is the first priority and I'm not going down into that death trap for somebody that's, in all probability, already dead. That's a job for confined space rescue.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That picture looks like a cat face wearing square glasses.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, that's totally blood/syringe spatter.See it all the time in druggie houses.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Most rulers I see go down to a 1/16th of an inch.

As for why 1/8th or 1/16 in particular, it's going by halves. Half of 1/2 is 1/4, half of that is 1/8, half of that is 1/16.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Do you have non‐Euclidean stairs in your house?

Definitely getting a sort of Lovecraftian Dreams in the Witch House feeling about that place.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wolrah posted:

The jerks scheduled the lawn service to come by at gently caress-thirty in the morning on Saturday.

poo poo, I'd be fine with that. They can run a jackhammer under my window at 3:30am if it means I get out of mowing the loving yard in the summer.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My laptop's cooling mat gets power from a USB A-A plugged into the laptop, it seems to be a fairly common setup for those.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Couldn't you just cut a larger rectangular mirror down to fit?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

How on earth do they price things in bitcoin with the market fluctuating so much?

IIRC, they don't directly accept bitcoin. They use a third-party payment processor that takes the bitcoins and pays Steam in real money. They never actually hold bitcoins themselves. This is how pretty much every business that accepts bitcoins handles bitcoins, because only loving bitcoiners want to hold onto bitcoins.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

They're way too steep for code stairs, too. Not to mention the lack of kickers means that if you trip and try to recover you're probably putting a foot or arm between two stairs and then falling down them with it trapped.

On top of this, you'd better hope nobody ever needs EMS while they're upstairs. My personal plan for getting a patient down those stairs goes something like "Wait for them to die and let the funeral home do it."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Phone wires are super thin, like 24 gauge. That's a lot of trouble for not much copper.

Never underestimate a meth-head's love of copper wire.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Javid posted:

That seems like it would be pretty handy even for just a large family, and duplicating all the big appliances wouldn't cost that much on the scale of building an entire house.

Eh. Without a ridiculously huge family, I can't really see that being overly useful in most cases. If you're building the entire thing in one go, I feel like most people would be better off just going for a single large kitchen with a cooktop and a double wall oven or something similar.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

To be fair, that's what I consider to be one of the few real use cases for a barn door, a closet door in a location where your space requirements make it hard to obtain clearance for a regular door.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Platystemon posted:

The curtain hangs into the tub. It’s not a problem.

Yeah. This.

The rod is intentionally curved out away from the shower to open the shower up some more and give you some more elbow room. The curtain can still hang down into the tub so that water can't escape.

They're great, honestly. I've been using one for years.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Empty Sandwich posted:

I didn't get a picture, but while we were out trick-or-treating, I saw a two-car garage that had been converted into a living space, presumably by the previous owners. Drywall, a built-in closet, blue paint, carpeted stairs, laminate flooring. Nice-looking space.

The reason I could see it is that the garage door was open and the current owners had parked their late-model SUV inside.

I guess it's even funnier if they converted it and then said "gently caress it."

Probably just did that for Halloween. Clear the way for trick or treaters, prevent people from loving with the car, etc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Off the top of my head, could probably use a decent studfinder through a sheet of plywood. I wouldn't try it over a shingled roof or whatnot, though.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 18, 2019

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

someone else has had the same problem as you, and has written how to solve it, somewhere accessible.

In my experience, they had the problem, posted about it on a message board, and then 2 days later they responded to their own post with "Solved it!" and no other information.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also, a lot of those large yards are just endless pits of water waste for assholes who insist on pissing away resources.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Motronic posted:

How are large yards wasting water? Are you talking about people growing non-native turf and plants that need to be watered? Because that's a much more localized issue. Nobody around me needs irrigation for their grass because we didn't build our home in a desert and then pretend it was in the northeast or PNW.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about, yes. Drives me loving crazy. It’s like everybody who buys a house here gets complimentary brainworms with their purchase. No native plants, no xeriscaping. Has to be St Augustine, has to be green all the time, even though it’s so loving hot that nobody is actually spending time outside if they can possibly avoid it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

Doesnt the ADA only apply to places of public accommodation, I.e. not someones house?

Yeah, it does not apply to private residences.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I google it at about 3 miles away from the University of Washington at Seattle, so I'd imagine that they're trying to sell it to somebody who's going to rent it out to college students.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Blacking out leds on various devices. There is no reason the power indicator on my fan needs to double as a nightlight.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That is so perfectly horrible that I kind of like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

B-Nasty posted:

As someone in the Mid-Atlantic, Spring is frequently a pollen-fest, like your car turns yellow levels of pollen. Summer is super-humid and too warm to be comfortable during the day. Fall has a few window-compatible weeks, when it's not raining, but it's short before the cold starts.

Running the AC enough to cut the humidity and keep it pleasant, say 75F, isn't that expensive. Maybe $100/m in electric for a 2500 sq/ft house. It's worth it for the balanced temps and air filtration.

It's the same where I am in south-central Texas. There are usually a few nice weeks of weather we get where the temperature and humidity would be good for opening windows, but there's so much pollen in the air that it's worth running the AC just for the air filtration.