Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

By popular demand posted:

Was posted in the weird news thread of all places

im the overstuffed corridor between the two parts of the house

I'm the unimpressed, adorably round cat in the cardboard box kingdom.

It just keeps going, and going... there's of course a Gamecube sitting next to the oddly similar looking CD burner, for the proper hot couch experience.

And this is just the main building, not the attached massive sheds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tater_salad posted:

Ohh I just noticed.. I'm the washer n dryer like in the bedroom. Guess I can't really toss some clothes in before I go to bed then eh?

Splicer posted:

Nah you turn it on when you go to bed for the soothing white noise effect.

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but washing machines and dryers have always put me right the gently caress to sleep. Might be the autism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ashcans posted:

Americans worry about their house being haunted because it’s the only pest they can’t shoot away.

If only there was someone they could call.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dareon posted:

I would actually watch a movie with that premise. Impressionable young new homeowner moves into spooky house, discovers each new haunting has a completely mundane, yet still hazardous, explanation, fixes them with the help of a friendly neighbor who works as a contractor. Stinger is talking with some of his local coworkers about all this, and someone goes "Uh... we haven't had a local contractor in this town for years, the last guy died in an electrical accident in the house next to yours."

Puts it up on the market with 'Haunted by friendly home maintenance ghost'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's probably a haunted house story where it tries to drive its inhabitants insane but they're already burnt out millennials who welcome death so it gives up, and/or teams up with them against the landlord

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

By popular demand posted:

Goth culture is like a kitsch sink for all that is weird in modern christianity.

I've said that sufficiently advanced Catholicism is indistinguishable from being goth as hell

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC that place isn't so much necessarily a hoarder house as it is acting as a warehouse and home for an operation selling stolen/counterfeit/fallen off the back of a truck goods which happens to be really weirdly constructed. IIRC it used to be a church? I imagine the rent was cheap.

That said, there's something new every time you look, like the cabinet in the kitchen that's completely empty except for four kitschy figurines. How much did they arbitrarily move around/clean up/grab and bug out before the photos were taken? Who knows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not surprised, it's sealed up among stacks and stacks of random crap. I do have to wonder how often they actually used it, especially since it's just curtained off from another carpeted room of stacked Girls Gone Wild DVDs. There's some bathroom stuff in it, so maybe? It seems like it might be less claustrophobic in person.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I swear this is on Starfish Island in Vice City.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At least the dog matches the couch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Platystemon posted:

I had a reptile tank that sold as an aquarium, but even then, the aquarium thread told me “not worth the risk that it’s not long-term watertight when you can get a new one for under fifty dollars”. I agree.

Or just look on Craigslist or equivalent for one a budding hobbyist now wants to get rid of.

Could just get a reptile.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's the home of a space hobbit.

I want to be a space hobbit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A rabbi and an imam just to cover your bases.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still kinda surprises me how universal an experience it apparently is for contractors to just stop showing up halfway through the job, and everyone just apparently shrugs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And suddenly I'm reminded Footrot Flats has the hippie farmer neighbour's house have a full blown tree growing in the middle of it.

Also in retrospect that dude definitely is Wal's weed hookup.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

How has nobody even mentioned the giant spooky skull with a top hat looking over this nightmare and probably smirking

Mr Bones' Wild Ride, in house form.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've said before: never buy a house from an electrician.

Source: landlord is an electrician.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mostlygray posted:

I almost bought a house from a plumber. It didn't work out, but holy crap did it have the best plumbing in the world. The soil pipes and stacks were copper. Who does that? It was the best plumbed house I've ever seen. He left the plumbing all exposed like it was a showroom. No light in the kitchen though so it was a pass. It did have a badass garage though. It had a garage in the garage to store your garage. There was room on the back to add another garage. Still, no light in the kitchen, no deal. A man's gotta cook.

But yeah, electricians make the worst electricians at their own house. Mechanics are the worst mechanics. My old mechanic was the best mechanic I'd ever had. His car was not safe to even look at from 50 feet. Wow that '89 GMC Jimmy was junk. I'm surprised he didn't have a hand fuel pump. Did good work on my car though.

There's an old post in AI somewhere that goes into detail that you should never buy a car from a mechanic, because it's always either a barely-functional daily beater or an irresponsibly tuned toy, and otherwise prone to completely falling apart if anyone but the mechanic uses them in exactly the right way. (and sometimes even then)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I appreciate that these pets have the same tuxedo on.

Having a matching cat and dog is always great. Border collies and tuxedo cats are like the original odd couple.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jows posted:

Yeah my first assumption was it was a thermocouple reader. Then I looked closer...

My Fallout instincts come in handy suddenly.

Isn't water an extremely good radiation shielding?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

alnilam posted:

I won't lie, I've always dreamed of hooking like 10 metal toggle switches in series with the ignition of a car, up on the front of the ceiling, so you have to go flip flip flip flip to activate it like you're in a cool spaceship

I recall this being an anti-theft measure in Fury Road.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

power crystals posted:

It's time for those terrifying six words, "so we just bought a house". This is the first place I've owned instead of rented. All the important stuff is in good to excellent shape, it has a gorgeous yard, etc. But halfway through the sale the realtor told me the PO was an electrician and my mind immediately went to "this is either very good or very bad". I'll give you a hint: I'm posting in this thread.

Never buy a house from an electrician, and never buy a car from a mechanic.

Source: renting a house from an electrician.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Funnily enough, this is among the oldest recorded proverbs (from a Sumerian book of proverbs that educated people kept around in their houses about 4,000+ years ago)

Proclick link. There's a lot of donkey jokes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of those don't make sense out of context but I love that the fox is clearly the stock character of the fool with unlimited self-confidence unless something might be hard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sloppy posted:

Same, just annoyed by the downspouts. Like you spent all that effort on a really expensive design and build and couldn't be bothered to hide them?

I dunno, kinda feels like they're incorporated into it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cat Hatter posted:

drat, I was going to post that video. Biggest offender of home shows ruining people's houses with tacky crap was Monster House, the spinoff of Monster Garage where you had to live in whatever that week's team hacked together. Their version of every white person wanting a tiki bar in their house was to put the giant Olmec head Mr. Burns gave Homer Simpson into someone's living room and make it shoot a fireball into the middle of the room.

Does their home security system also include a gelatinous cube?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MrYenko posted:

Thread pays off hard the whole way through. This one was my favorite though:

https://twitter.com/rebeccamakkai/status/1482059729526525955?s=21

Just because the expensive photographer says you should have makeup done before your photo shoot doesn’t mean you should have makeup done before your photo shoot.

The publicly posted photo of his teenage daughter in lingerie is classy as gently caress too.

Sassy Mouth Photography, whose motto seems it should be 'We won't second-guess any of your horrible decisions!'

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah based on further in the thread it sounds like it was in fact a sex castle - "massage" rooms everywhere, showers designed for large groups of people, etc. The "modelling" business he tried to start was hiring out models by the hour to satisfy customers' "desire, intrigue and lust".

Which makes the photo of the teenage daughter in lingerie incredibly :yikes:

That certainly adds even more layers to the story, especially given how apparently the owner ended up moving in with his pregnant mistress after his divorce.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

j.peeba posted:

I expect that you'd have to tear the place down and do like a 90% rebuild unless a wet stanky lowpoly disco dungeon with mold is exactly what you've been looking for.

I hear a possibly former cop in Revachol is looking for a new home.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LonsomeSon posted:

There’s a place for slipshod but functional for now and whatever else it is, it’s emphatically nowhere near water, imho.

I think there's a Chinese phrase for this often used in particular examples of terrible construction that translates to something like 'good enough' or 'not my problem anymore'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As far as boats go that seems like one of the less bad with money options.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

I remember once while we were doing some renovations at this kinda mansiony-looking place, we found some ancient newspapers, narrating the uncertainty and upheaval of mandatory public schooling's introduction in Denmark. Stuff like that is kind of interesting.

Superman comics in the newspaper under the carpet. I think as cheap insulation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Put a trampoline at the bottom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The VA is also notoriously trying harder than most of America's enemies to kill its soldiers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Emu farms were a big thing in the US in the late 90s/early 00s apparently, much to the amusement of any Australian.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If you think that's funny, the way Hank Hill pronounces 'Emu' is loving hilarious.

Motronic posted:

I don't remember that, but I do remember alpaca being a huge thing. It was sold as basically printing money by raising cute (they ugly as poo poo) animals and selling wool into premium markets for premium prices. So you had to spend a ton of money on the best bloodline of aplaccas.

As I'm sure you've guessed there was no real market for this wool and the only people getting rich were the ones selling and breeding alpacas.

Alpacas do actually have a use for sheep farmers iirc, since they (usually) get along great with sheep and will kick wild dogs to death, so they basically guard flocks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded of an ad for gas water heaters with a giraffe taking a bath.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Platystemon posted:

That’s not cold enough to warrant a fireplace.

Adelaide houses are also built to vent heat as quickly as possible!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Inspired by the first draft of H. P. Lovecraft's darkly imaginative but poorly spell-checked novella, The Wall of Ctuhulhu.

Missed opportunity for the horror story literally about air conditioning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

koshmar posted:

So it's got 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a spacious kitchen and direct access to a large cave system.

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1557394243894886402?s=20&t=J1L527Xp0A3v7cToX8Fkdg

Something about cottagecore Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vim Fuego posted:

Your "buddy" sounds like a side character in a thriller movie

Certainly something out of Nope.