Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zhentar posted:

It's for the safety of maintenance personnel. Any appliance permanently connected that has a 1/8 HP or greater motor needs a disconnect that is within sight of the appliance.

Using a cord gets around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Plans don't mention insulation, we're not going to add insulation. gently caress 'em.

Ding ding ding. Sound insulation, sound caulking for the walls and putty pads for the outlets aren't cheap. Full height walls are required between units, but wouldn't be needed within a unit and that transmits sound big time. Fancy duct design to reduce sound transmission costs in both money and coordination above ceiling.

The only real thing that could be a gently caress up would be electrical boxes back to back or something that's a code violation.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ullerrm posted:

It says that the house is a century old, so we're talking 1920s at the newest. So they're going to have a bunch of old double-hung wood windows -- and if they're going for historical accuracy, then five bucks says that they want to counterbalance the sashes with the traditional weights and pulleys.

Scroll down to the third page of this PDF; you'll see that there's a ton of poo poo inside the jamb for those kinds of windows.

Even if you weren't going for historical accuracy, just replacing them with modern double-hung wood windows could easily be 20K+. Add in historical accuracy, and poo poo gets expensive FAST. (poo poo also gets leaky fast.)

Yes, all of this! My dad built new double hung wood windows for their 3000 sf house and he estimated it cost at least 30k with his labor. It isn't complicated, simple wood frames, make new weights with lead to balance, and order double pane window units. However the decorative finishing of the wood edges, design of the stile and hardware, and stain adds up to a long process.

Now factor that he's a carpenter with low overhead, and figure what it may cost from someone out to make real money doing it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

crazypeltast52 posted:

If I was still in construction (flooring sub), I would refuse to bid on this. As I'm in commercial real estate now, I might look at these, but this is terrible and I hope someone gives the architect poo poo for that.

Actual estimating software is a boon for thinks like this. It's like a paint by numbers, the only skill is in recognizing how and where you'll have waste and rounding up things like adhesive and applying the right production rates.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DrBouvenstein posted:

Painted counters in the kitchen. The existing ones look original (from the 1970's,) and we can see they were originally pink, so while baby blue is a little better, the paint is stained and chipping in several places.
A microwave above the stove that's about a foot too high. I don't know about you, but I don't care for taking hot soup out of a microwave that's almost above my head.

And your stove doesn't fit flush against the wall, that's a pet peeve of mine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

some texas redneck posted:

On top of what Ashcans said, the plug for an electric stove is at least a couple of inches deep. Electric stoves often can't sit flush because of that. And if the house was originally set up for a gas range, the outlet box for the stove may be surface mount, which brings it out a couple of more inches (minimum).

I'm familiar with that, I dropped my outlet by 6" because of that, so it was in the drawer space instead of centered on the range. I also pulled the range out of the corner so I could get a little elbow room when cooking and mount a microwave above it.

I'm adding a couple of wifi light switches for some lighting control action, and in the process I am replacing every light switch to a decorators switch. Today I pulled open the switches for the kitchen and dining room lights.

Two three way switches in a double gang, already tight. There are 5!!! Feeds into this box. The single light over the sink is tapped here, and one of the other three ways feeds back to it and out again for the light. I was able to clean up a little bit, but I have bigger plans for this wall coming up so I just jammed it back together today. I spent an easy 29 minutes studying it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ExplodingSims posted:

I HATE my glass cooktop with a fiery passion. It sucks for cooking and sucks even worse for cleaning.
I swear every little boil-over leaves a stain that takes a good five mins to clean.

Just give some good iron burners with stainless steel underneath and I'll be happy. Anythings spills? Just wipe it off and you'll be good.
Wipe it down with baby oil afterwards to keep some shine.

After working in restaurant for so many years it's really hard to get used to crappy electric elements again.

Are you using the special cooktop cleaner? Mild abrasive that gets that stuff off quick.

Crappy construction, the fact that I didn't remember there's a gas stub that would have cost a pittance to run up to the stove from an older installation until I was in the shop and determined to come home with a stove.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

EKDS5k posted:

The new shower that our landlord just had installed is like this. It's full water pressure all the time, which is fine with me. I dislike that there is approx 1 degree of usable water, but that's life. The old shower with separate knobs for hot and cold had the same problem; if you didn't get the mix exactly right you were in for bad times. At least with the single lever, now that I've found the sweet spot I can just put it there every time.

Yep, and with a good shower head you get a fine shower every time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

Btw is there a reason my awesome shower head makes a SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH the whole time it reaches optimal temp, but the lovely one is dead silent, but terrible at being a shower head?

Makes the sound while reaching optimal temp then gets quiet, or does it make sound while at optimal temp? Either way it's probably the expansion of the metal and the geometry of the waterway.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Chemmy posted:

The right way to do this is with a mixing valve. You want your water heater hot enough to kill listeria.

Yes, and in the setup for the mixing valve there is a set screw so you can't set it beyond hurt yourself temperature.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Crotch Fruit posted:

Pretty sure they also have those at prisons because inmates would try to flush sheets and pillows in an attempt to flood the cells.

Aww man I came here to say that. Also even just at your county or city jail as they want to flush anything to make a clog. Best I heard was a guy who clogged it with jumpsuit and covered his whole body is shampoo to become slippery. The shampoo on the water flooding the cell kept the tear gas or mace or whatever in the air and the 5 deputies sent in to get the guy did so in tears.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

May Contain Nuts posted:

Whats the deal with new construction going up with an entire side of the house having no windows, or one or two tiny windows seeming placed a random on a large blank wall?

It provides shear strength in modern homes designed with largely open floor plans.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

flosofl posted:

The wrapped mini-bar of soap makes me thing it's a hotel bathroom.

And the TP holder with a spare roll space, but I would absolutely also love that in my home. Then I could be out of two rolls of paper at once.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
In the heating cooling debate there's another interesting point. Legislation and financial incentives have been introduced in the last 50 years to make homes more efficient. As the homes became more efficient, energy use has stayed level. Homes from the 1950s with single pane wood windows and poor insulation design, and little regard for the effects of solar gain were far too expensive to cool with the inefficient AC units of the time.

Newer homes with good building products and smart designs are more affordable to cool, so AC has proliferated. I would argue that you do not need an air conditioner for a single family home in the Denver metro area, yet I don't think you could purchase a new one without it.

It does offer you the ability to keep the curtains open during the day and the windows shut at night, for safety, neither of which bother me. I can live in the cave and get raped from time to time by intruders.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
drat I wanted to be the clever one to say that! Fish line with a grocery bag on the end and tape up a vacuum to the duct. Then pull cable with the fish line the other way. My hovel only has 4" ducts to each room so it's nbd.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have a company car that's logoed, and the rule in my city is only one per house. If my wife was offered the same benefit we'd be violators. I'm sure we'd get away with it, and I feel like you could've enforced a different rule to avoid businesses in neighborhoods.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I recently moved from one town where most of the core of the town is 100+ year old timber houses to a different town where the houses were built in dribs and drabs over the space of 30 years. There's multiple houses in the street that have massive garages on the North side of the house. This might not seem like such a big deal however in Australia Northern sun is the only way you get much during winter. It'd probably be warmer in the garage during winter than it would be in the rest of the house. I have a feeling most of the housing plans are probably carbon copies of a bunch of northern hemisphere kit home designs

Uhh, couldn't they have just turned the plans upside down to make them Australia compliant?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Did we do this one yet?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Baronjutter posted:

I saw many newer buildings like that in Ukraine just covered with foam insulation then plaster and paint applied directly over top (or not at all sometimes!) I imagine it's just a layer of that falling of.

Pretty common especially in temperate climates. It was invented in Germany to rebuild faster with a stone adjacent look.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Is it leaning on purpose?

Only if purpose is the name of the house next door. No shear wall on the first floor, no hope of saying plumb.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Also, the people who buy are in a completely different income demographic than the ones in the current homes. Rich vs middle class, and they attract rich people shops and prices, furthering the cost of living climb.

Honestly this is a good thing, our country is getting more and more segregated as people move to where there are people like themselves. Neighborhoods that have a good mix of incomes and backgrounds are good for moderating opinions and creating an inclusive society.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I mean it's a makeup counter and they haven't installed the mirror yet. I'm hoping?

Those uneven counters would drive me loving nuts though.

Yeah... but you have to have the right height for each activity. Brushing your teeth too low sucks and having your feet dangle on a tall chair isn't any better.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The standard old school bath at 5'x7' isn't bad, door on short wall, sink by door, toilet between sink and tub at far end. All wet utilities in one wall, enough room for towels and such.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tangy yet delightful posted:

The actual people building the house are getting the same $X/hr without regard to how expensive the land underneath may be. 2x4s are still the same price etc.

Now the project manager/GC should be caring more since they are likely getting paid more but...lol

As a contractor, no. We use better people when the budget allows, it just makes everyone's lives easier. Higher budgets have higher standards, so we like to hire the guys who get it right the first time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SoundMonkey posted:

i was gonna ask what you do with the second floor on a garage. all i could come up with was 'machinery large enough you shouldn't be putting it up there' and 'fire hazards'

oh god if it's an illegal domicile he'll presumably have to run sewage. i'm sure that'll go GREAT.

You store things up there. Xmas decorations, china, and things that belong in the dumpster.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Last one of those I saw was for a tiny camper

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I guess it depends on the scope but at least thermostats and cameras are very popular. I've got a few lights automated, and a few routines for those for different needs. It was the only way to dim a light on a 3 way switch too. Also nice to know I'll get an alert if the smoke alarm goes off during the day.

Edit: the only place I want a motion sensor is a closet or utility room.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 21, 2017

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've yet to see a home automation thing that was substantially better than just using a timer, maybe with different times for different days of the week (like your average 7-day thermostat).

I was impressed by the lawn sprinkler controller that changes the delivery based on the days precipitation.

And I never did buy a thermostat since I have my programmable just where I like it, plus I only get the option of heat or off. No A/C here.

The other thing, the nice Lutron dimmers are like $25, the automated ones are $40. It's an expense but its kind of an affordable luxury.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Drape Culture posted:

I still have a hard time trusting the economic incentive model of real estate agents, specifically buyer's agents. How does getting a percentage of the final sale price encourage them to seek the best price for the best house for their clients? Isn't that encouraging them to get your to buy the highest price house the fastest?

There's a good section in Freakonomics about this, but on the sellers side. The incentive to get the seller a few thousands more with a higher price isn't really there since the agent gets a small percent, and they'd rather get a quick sale, freeing up time to get another.

As a buyer the ball is in your court to buy the right house and make the right, lowest offer. If you don't like your realtor or think they are pushing, get another. It's just business, don't feel bad for firing them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was in an office bathroom which had a sink in the accessible and only stall, which was nice. Until I got my hands wet and noticed there was no soap, so I went to dry them and discovered there was no paper towel or dryer either.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just tore the rusty swamp cooler off the house. It was a unit meant for the rooftop but adapted, via ductwork from the bottom of the cooler, 90 degrees, then up another 90, then a final 90 into a window. It wasn't very efficient. Neither was the lean-to shelf it was sitting on, made of untreated 2x4's and 3/4" OSB subfloor material, complete with tongue and grooves. The OSB had swollen to about 1-1/4", and the 2x4 posts were barely attached the wood was so rotten. Some of the platform could be poked through with a geriatrics' finger. There were also two chains providing auxillary support that were, to my eyes, decorative in nature. I was a little concerned when I found one was actually under tension.

It's nice having light through this window, I've never seen it in the 8 years that I've lived here.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Yeonik posted:

At risk of sounding like a dipshit, but how would that be done properly? Why did they split like that?

http://www.deckmagazine.com/design-construction/framing/stronger-post-to-beam-connections_o

Check out the slideshow if you want to get more in depth, but you can have them on the side, but not notched like that, just use the proper hardware to mount it. Lots of different ways to do it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Notching a 6x6 for beams is fine though? And actually how you're supposed to do it, I think? As far as I know you expressly can NOT slap beams onto the side of a support post no matter what hardware you are using. Maybe there are hangers for doing it that way, don't know.

I think they just used a lovely piece of lumber and went "good enough".

Two comments, without any scale I thought that was a 4x4 with 1x beams, so I assumed it was no good.

Second, the answer to both of your questions is in the link from my post, as well as a rebuttal to the statement.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

peanut posted:

tell me more about that muffin monster

There’s one at the county jail, the wastewater department made them install it or pay for cleaning and unfucking of pipes since inmates flush everything. So now, if you flush your entire jumpsuit down the drain it gets chopped up into tiny bits and nothing clogs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

therobit posted:

LDS is not considered a christian church by anyone but LDS and a handful of atheists.

If you haven't been on the receiving end of religious discrimination for being from a "weird" religion it is hard to explain, but basically depending on where you are from you get treated like poo poo by your classmates as a kid for having the wrong belief system, but people don't think that experience is valid because you aren't Jewish or Middle Eastern/Asian Muslim or something with an ethnic component.

If a synagogue or mosque had the same trouble getting permitted everyone would agree it was a clear cut case of discrimination. If a baptist congregation was building a church it probably wouldn't have any trouble in the first place.

That’s all pretty true but probably a synagogue or mosque would get grief in the same areas the Mormons do. Concentric circles away from SLC are less and less concerned with Mormons and also less and less culturally homogenous.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mercury Ballistic posted:

DCA/National recently changed all the flight patterns in and out. It is supposed to be far more efficient, but people all over the area, including my neighborhood are pissed cause it was quiet for decades prior. My area has been developed since the 1940s, so it is not like it is new construction. I get buying near an existing noise source mitigates your grounds for complaining, but when the source moves to your neighborhood, I understand the animosity.

An idea for non racial blockbusting, reroute air traffic then move it back.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon posted:

I was asked to give my Hot Take to avoid “drag[ging] out a derail” and I gave it.

I’ve never filed a noise complaint in my life, much less become so worked up over the issue I wanted to nail people to telephone poles over it. :jerkbag:

I just don’t agree that “we’ve always done things this way” is a compelling reason to continue. Grandfathering should not last forever. That’s bad public policy.

I thought you were a dick at first but you’re probably right overall. There’s only so much land and if there’s things we can do to make things more inhabitable then do it, and if the land use isn’t beneficial for most users then it’s time to change.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Youth Decay posted:

It's burnt adobe brick which is what a lot of houses in Tucson are made of (if not plain adobe), but most builders have the sense to plaster/paint the interior walls so it doesn't look like a dungeon.

Nah it looks more like a sheriffs office in the old west.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Youth Decay posted:

And what kind of drugs were they on when they tiled this bathroom?

I had to come back as I just noticed the sunken tub, the tile is like a colorblind test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Optimist in me says at least they used a box at all.