Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How did you swing a night on the set of Candyman 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spog posted:

You can only use the toilet with the curtain pulled back.

I'm not sure that's true, if you follow the line of the tile across from the left curtain there's room there to sit and close it, though you would be staring straight at a curtain in front of your face.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaethela posted:

Then they'll take it to mean they shouldn't remove the sticky note and will remove everything around it.

They sure will.

I have a quick question about whether my builder has done some crappy construction or normal temporary work.

There's an area of the house getting a new ceiling/floor via the help of some i-beams. The beams are fine and installed as per the engineer's spec, but the joists are framed up and holding onto the wall solely by some bolts, they're not sat on anything except the hangers on the steel. They've already levelled the joists so anything they do next won't involve removing them. Is this a) safe if it's final or b) normal temporary behaviour? What would you expect them to do next?

http://imgur.com/a/OtAfN

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

morethanjake32 posted:

I am a little curious about why all the joist hangars are sticking above the top of the the beam. They also do not have all the fasteners installed in any of them so they are clearly not done. Do the walls of the lower lever get new finishes on them, or is the plan for the brick to remain exposed? If you are getting new studs around the perimeter to attach new drywall to, then they will bear the load of the perimeter of the floor / ceiling. Or they could be using the perimeter 2x10 as a ledger, but that seems highly unlikely.
Either way they are only about 3/4 done framing that floor.

I asked the builder about it shortly after posting, they are indeed relying solely on those bolts to hold up the perimeter. They're fixed in with resin, fine, but it's the sheer strength I'm concerned about.

They've since added hangers all the way round so that part's done, I'm presuming they're going to trim or fold the tops of the hangers when they fit the floor.

The ground floor will be getting new plaster but here we don't usually plasterboard (drywall) on brick, it's more common to use a sand/cement render as a scratch coat. But I've not confirmed what their plans are.

Edit: also when using plasterboard on brick it tends to be via dot and dab rather than studwork, so no support there either.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 20, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Do scratch marks from human nails provide a good gripping surface for a skim coat?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

morethanjake32 posted:

Ok, so I took another look at the photos and is looks like there is a bolt though the perimeter ledger into the block wall about every 2'-0", which is fairly common. I just didn't see them all from the angle that the pictures were taken. Does this work have to be inspected by the local government or a 3rd party inspector at certain stages ( I assume you are not in the US). While they may not catch 100% of any screwup or omission by your builder, they do usually keep everything in line with what the engineers plans call for.

Yeah the guy from the local building regulations has been inspecting it on the regular, though I've not been around for any of his visits yet.

The engineer's plans don't discuss this part which is why I don't have a frame of reference for "correct", but if the approach sounds right I trust them to have done the details right. They've filled in almost all of the hanger fixings and I'll make sure they're all there before the floor goes on.

I'm not sure I have photos for everything but this house was a wonder of shoddy work, mostly electrical. Things like running mains cables diagonally across the floor from one socket to another, on top of the carpet. Or IP?? light box on the wall at the foot of the bath which contains a shower. And the pull string for the electric shower installed inside the shower.

The kitchen with 5 layers of lino on top of tiles is a microcosm of everything else in the house.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

That electrical is potentially terrifying and you should take plenty of pictures both for this thread and your insurance.

It's all gone now, the renovation is a complete rip out from top to bottom with new electrics. I'll see if I can dig up some photos but I think I was a little lax with the "before" stuff.

H110Hawk posted:

5 layers of lino on top of tiles is sort of par for the course, but you forgot that those tiles are probably asbestos. :v:

Well, the builders ripped them out last week so poor them if they were :) It's less the layers being unusual so much as an attitude of "what's cheapest? do that".

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm pretty sure trimming or folding the hangers will weaken the structural integrity of them. Sounds like they didn't want to get a different size

It looks like these are "jiffy hangers" and are designed to be folded over and fixed to the top of the joist: http://www.sabrefix.com/media/3828/jiffy_hanger_1_.pdf

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You can sort of see one of the electrical messes here:

The room with the dust door on it is the bathroom. At some point the PO decided they wanted an electrically heated towel rail, which it turns out requires electricity.

They went to the socket on the left and split out a cable, ran it diagonally across the carpet to where those rubble bags are, and punched a hole in the wall.

Sadly I've checked and I seem to have no photos of the inside of the bathroom at all, lost to time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Enjoy your newly asbestosized ductwork!

They were 1908 ceramic or whatever, it's fine.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hallway bidet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Or you talk to an old machinist who does everything in thousandths of an inch and "tenths" which is a tenth of a thousandth (a ten thousandth, 0.0001"). This gets especially infuriating when they're making metric parts, and they say stuff like "we're gonna get the OD of this cylinder to 18mm within a tenth," and that DOESN'T mean 18+-.1mm, it means 18mm +- 0.0001 inches. Then "we'll cut this thread 2mm deep, but we've got 1/64" or so of play."

It's only recently that I've learnt "mil" is an imperial unit (thousandth of an inch), when I'm used to it just being verbal shorthand for millimetre. Then this conversation happened with the electricity network:
UKPN: "You need to increase your meter tails to 25 mil"
Me: "OK is that thousandths of an inch or millimetres?"
UKPN: "I don't know"

Great, thanks. (given that 25mil is 0.6mm I'm going to say she meant mm)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

suuma posted:

Friendly reminder that horses are measured in hand-widths. Except a 'hand' is standardized as like 4 inches. Why not just measure them in inches, or feet? Who knows.

A "foot" is standardized as 12 inches, so why is a "hand" weird?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

it's hard to see in the picture but there's more than a foot of air under where that line runs to where they said it ran

Just had my line moved. Rules state 375mm below private ground. It was directly under a 30mm concrete slab. How we missed it with the digger needle I don't know.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

"Family with not much money" and "total cost $1.2m" got me as well.

Content:

Pulled up the floor in the front room and found the first bad construction not done as part of the lovely extensions.

These joists look a bit small but they're fine, right?

Oh.

Oh no.

At least these sistered joists are well supported on.. what is that?

:crossarms:

One joist pivoted up if you stood on the end and the one by the fireplace snapped in half when stood on.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 1, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

Just put some Pergo on top it'll be fine

Bit late for that

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Someone's gonna take all of that off your hands and make a salvaged wood wall hanging / structural component of their idiot shack.

I mean, it's what I would do.

They'll have to get to it before the builder burns it all. The floorboards in the background are getting sanded and sold.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Those apartments were not ment to be apart.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is the UK another odd one out, in that you can choose fixed or variable rate, and choose the length to fix to, and it jumps to an untenable rate after the fixed period, but everyone refinances at that point?

To illustrate: I got a 2 year fixed rate mortgage a year ago at 2.19%. In another year it'll leap to 3.49% variable (trending based on lending base rate) but it's well understood that I'll "switch" my mortgage to another deal with them or another bank at that point, and every 2 years or so thereafter until it's all paid off.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Now, that's a fire!

Bonfire of the vanities.

You can see where the builders have been burning things off to the left and I've got my eye on this giant pile because I get the feeling they might just light it up. Also those cabinets did not come out of my house, the builder's dumped them there.

First week they were here they set fire to my bushes. And the second week. And the third.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We discovered today that the structural engineer thought that the joists in one room went 90º to their actual direction. He'd noted their direction on the plans but nobody spotted it, including me.

We're now waiting to hear whether this is going to mean replacing a steel with a larger one. A steel we've already fitted. And built two floors and a wall on top of.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

And yet it feels like open shelves would be a good answer for some kitchen items where mild dust isn't going to be a problem and you'd prefer not to have bulky cabinets crowding everywhere. Not plates or glasses, sure, but condiments? Cooking oils? Stock pots and food processors? All that stuff that otherwise takes up counter space or sort-of-not-quite fills your largest cabinets.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

YamiNoSenshi posted:

I'm in the beginning phases of doing a kitchen remodel and even the designers say the big stockpot typically is stored outside the kitchen.

y'all need to do more roast dinners

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

But it's not space I can use. Save it up and give me another floor, that'd be great.

Your brain is using it to not feel cramped.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

canyoneer posted:

The phrase "bonus room" always makes me think of a gameshow, like the buyer spun a wheel and either got a bonus room or a year's supply of Aleve, America's #1 pain reliever.

Yeah I was just going to ask what the deal is since I've seen that term a lot in this here subforum. Is it a term for any room that isn't a bathroom, bedroom, kitchen or living room? Or is it what we'd call a box room (so named both for being small and boxy and because long ago people stored luggage in it).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alereon posted:

Typically a room that would be a bedroom except that it doesn't meet legal requirements, such as not having a closet.

Alereon posted:

except that it doesn't meet legal requirements

Alereon posted:

legal requirements, such as not having a closet.

Whaaat? You have legal minimums on what can be called a bedroom? No wonder you guys have so many closets. I think I have a new wikipedia hole to fall down.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There's a mini myth in the UK that a bedroom has to have a window when renting out but in reality the minimum requirement is literally "can you fit a bed in it". Other than that it's just down to safety laws and such.

Edit: also closets are extremely rare.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Interestingly my 100+ year old house had a master bedroom closet, the first and only one I've seen outside of the US in my entire life. I ripped that poo poo out sharpish.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ask me about having to replace all my upstairs bedroom windows because I removed the door between the kitchen and downstairs hallway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's probably more about minimum number of firebreaks (i.e. doors) between a common source of fires (the kitchen) and places where people sleep.

Yah this. You need minimum 30 minutes fire protection between the kitchen and the escape route out of the house from the bedrooms which went away when the door (and wall) came out. Any fire back there could spread to the main hall and cut off the stairs / front door.

To be precise I only had to replace the ones at the back to provide an alternate exit but I'm doing them all anyway 'cause they're lovely. For bonus points the new egress drops you straight onto two giant skylights which is going to be scary as poo poo if it ever happens.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 23, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bubblyblubber posted:

What's so bad about it? Specially in a pantry it seems to make cleanup much easier.

In that all your flour falls onto the things below? Or onto the floor underneath?

I've never found a wire anything that's easy to clean with all those narrow gaps and gunk-filled joins.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Number 10 is a fine analogy because on the outside it presents the appearance of a normal family townhouse but on the inside they've ripped out the whole street to turn it into one giant bureaucratic mess. With a cat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

But what is the state of London Bridge? :ohdear:

I get :thejoke: but London Bridge is a concrete slab behemoth and I'm sure most of us would be happy if it fell down so it could be replaced by something less awful.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

I will stand correction, but I do not think there are many actual fungicides out there, at least, none I know of that can be safely used indoors.

I use something very similar to this which claims to both be a fungicide and (the version I have) makes big noises about avoiding organic contact with it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polycell-Mould-Killer-Spray-500/dp/B004S67HJY

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

screaden posted:

I've also never met an architect who could draw a sensible or clear set of plans, none of that architectural and design theory makes a drat difference if you don't know how the house will actually be put together.

I've had a couple of occasions on my house build where the architect/SE loving up the drawings nearly led to thousands of pounds of reworking. Also no amount of explaining including pulling out autocad and doing the annotations myself managed to get through to them on the position of a wall and it's still wrong in the current plans.

Synthbuttrange posted:

(I'm the stare)

Gonna say that's a store.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Architect & structural engineer: modern human attitudes to electronic communications (also the only ones that work in offices)
Window fitter: hates email, just about responds to text messages
Electrician: will receive email grudgingly, never got any other means of comms from him, had to explain the A/V/W triangle to him
Builder: email maybe, text message probably, whatsapp instant response

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tunicate posted:

amps/volts/watts

Yeah this, there's probably a better name for it but I'm not an electricker. The younger guy knew what I was talking about, I guess he was closer to his education.

High Lord Elbow posted:

Contractors are irritating in that they have so many jobs to choose from, they don't have to adapt to modern business conventions like email, smart phones, or proactive communication.

Proactive communication is the thing that drives me the most insane. I can deal with almost any setback provided they a) don't promise something unless they're actually going to do it and b) loving tell me if and when they can't do it and not when I call up 2 days after it was due over and over.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh man that anchor is one of the first things you learn about when lead climbing. Appropriate for a thread featuring many misunderstandings of the transfer of load.

It was the sparkie's mate that referred to it as a triangle, I was just trying to explain that you could calculate current pretty easily from voltage and power. The only triangles I know are M = m/L and the one with Avogadro's number.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

out of curiosity, what's the benefit to having switched outlets? IIRC UK and NZ (likewise 220V) both have that as well

Think of any situation where you'd want to fully kill power to something, like something that hums or has lights on at night, a heater with a ticking timer, going on holiday and concerned about fire safety, or maybe a multi-way extension cord with lots of these things on, and then have internationally renowned plugs that are nonetheless very stiff to pull out of the socket and sometimes annoying to put back in, in sockets that are already large and have convenient space on the top corners because of the size and shape of the plug. Then switches make more sense.

The aussies do the same because they're a goddamn goodboy ex-colony and they'll do what they're drat well told.

(colonial influence is probably the reason for AU/NZ, they have flat-pin plugs that I don't remember being as much of a pain to pull)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Explosionface posted:

which also indicates there's also more room internally for simple switches

Also room internally for USB voltage step-downs: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=two+gang+socket+with+usb&tbm=isch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

The most convincing answer I found on a quick google is that the switched outlets were a hangover from old DC mains that were prone to arcing when the plug was removed. When AC power was introduced the problem disappeared, but consumers preferred the switched outlets for the convenience reasons mentioned already.

My poo poo still arcs all the time.

Do you think it's time for a DC mains comeback? So much of my stuff (including lighting, now) runs on DC and it seems so wasteful to have a hundred transformers in the house.