Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

We bought a house earlier this summer, so I have a few fun stories:

From the mortgage history, we can tell that the previous owner was a house flipper. He bought the house in July, then relisted the house in September for significantly higher than he bought it. Due to his bad timing, the house was on the market until March, when we bought it, much closer to the actual market value of the other houses in the area.

The Crack Pipe
About 2 weeks after we moved in, we noticed a large wet spot on the carpet. At first we thought it was due to the rain, and the gutters overflowing (there are lots of trees). I ended up cleaning out the gutters and discovered that the flower bed was lined with impermeable plastic. So we figured water was going between the plastic and foundation.

Wrong.

Thought about it a bit more, and realized the main sewer line from upstairs was in a closet on the other side of the wall where the carpet was wet. There was a small access panel to get to the clean out, and the rest of the pipe was hidden behind two pieces of drywall in the corner. I noticed there was some discoloration, and realized the problem - the pipe was cracked. So I pulled down the wall:

The pipe had a 4' long split in it.

Had a plumber come out to replace the pipe with ABS. Ended up being a cheap fix, but still. They had to have known about it, and chose to cover it up with drywall instead of fixing it.

The Worst Fence Ever

The fence in our backyard was most likely constructed during the flip. It looked fairly decent, enclosing the entire backyard. On the other side of the fence is a simple chain link fence, then the neighbor's fence on the other side of that for a triple fence solution (they didnt want to remove the existing fence).

We moved in back in April. In June, we noticed one board had been pulled out at the top, the screw head sheared off. We thought someone jumped over the fence. A few weeks later, another board popped. Then we got a ton of rain from the hurricanes, and a few more popped.

The idiot who built the fence put each board touching the next one. During the winter, there wasn't much rain, but once it got hot and wet, the boards started swelling, and the pressure has been knocking them off one by one. If you look at the fence at an angle, it's wavy and a mess. He had to have used the cheapest possible boards. Now I have to fix it somehow...

Otherwise, we really like our house.

Praesil fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

edit: DP