Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

This is giving me anxiety. Partly because I can't connect the floorplan to the exterior in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Darchangel posted:

loving cast iron. Could be worse - could be clay, I guess.

Both are bad. Ask me about my basement flooding three feet deep as spring meltwater drained into my municipal sewer clay tile and backflowed into the basement through the 1/2" think "floor". The opposite of a weep tile system!

Why, yes, that is my main sewer stack!

To be fair it was 125 years old at this point.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

The guy I use for HVAC work and repairs tells me he is too busy to run a gas line for me. Normally he will fit in small jobs whenever I need, and has dropped off parts in person so I can do installs myself. He says he has tons of repair and no-water or no-heat calls. Maybe increased demand is taxing systems, and necessitating repairs?

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

I'll take Things Prefaced by "How Hard Can it Be?" for $400, Alex

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

I like it. It's like building a porch as your W.C., but closing it in enough for privacy. A++ would poo poo here daily.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

D34THROW posted:

Maybe? I've cut plywood for hurricanes but that's about the extent of my woodworking skills. Thank you for the idea though!

Just make two L shaped shims out of HDPE or even XPS foam. Glue them to the far and bottom inner edges if you feel fancy.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Doesn't apply at those nipples right at the valves!

Yes I refuse to let this go.

Me either, I can't figure out the plumbing.
If the mixing valve goes to the faucet, the riser isn't mixed. And where does the middle elbow go?

If the left stub is hot:

If the right stub is hot:

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

tater_salad posted:

The perspective is a little weird because there's a pipe below
Yellow Hooks shower to mixing valve.. Right behind yellow is the tub spout
Red and blue are Hot and cold (to the best of my recollection)

it works but for some reason. I believe that the supply lines may be part of the reason for lower water pressure as well since they're for sinks, also those shutoffs.

I will most likely be looking to getting some PEX fittings and resolving this portion of insanity.

Lol, thanks for the drawing. I thought there was an octopus off the hot, couldn't tell that was a loop from the original riser going to the galvy makeshift riser.

Honestly, it's better than both my bathrooms were originally. :sweatdrop:

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

there wolf posted:

Are we just not going to talk about what the gently caress is going on with this facade here? The house is wearing a mask of a different building. All the pictures are conveniently angled so you can't see the back side of it, so however it intersect with the roof must be amazing.

That't the best part; a nice-looking traditional saltbox has been sacrificed for this sterile ediface.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

wooger posted:

The Edwardian terrace I bought last year had wiring run under the wallpaper, and one remaining gas lamp fitting for some reason (thankfully disconnected).

That presenter is... well put together :swoon:.

She did the killer stairs doc, too. She's a doctor of philosophy and an accomplished academic as well as a megababe.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Daubers are mostly harmless, they only look scary. Leave them alone. A plus for arachnophobes, they eat spiders!

But, like spiders, they are inexplicably attracted to hydrocarbons and love nesting in gas burners, fuel caps and exhaust pipes on gas appliances especially on trailers using small propane appliances, where they clog things up.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Is a deep well the biggest impossibility in this thread?

At first I thought the weight of the tape was keeping it going after a bit, too. If you watch at the end, the tape snaps taut againts the cross member he's attached it to.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Our dear friend Mike Holmes must be pretty idle during this pandemic. He has posted a lot on Facebook lately. Most of it is the usual 5 tips for landscaping, or promos for his shows, and there have been some Facebook Live events. But he also has taken to posting the odd contruction fail photo, and his readers pile on and share theirs. I have compiled a small treasure trove. Apologies if you have seen any:

Looks good!

When you don't know how slip joints work

Typical previous owner surprise

Do you want leaks? I didn't think so.

Electrically insulated

How to damp install

Just put a nail in it. How bad? OK, two nails.

Route the current. You can only move two switches.

Hottub wiring out of sight. The homeowner attempted to remove the old pad and located this via arc.

"In" the box?

Sharing is caring

Another P.O. discovery

100A each I assume

Load bearing work box. Easily located by drywall screw in future.

You can have an A/C duct, or a structural header, your choice

I think that's a transformer in there

Universal fitment

You don't say

Makes a nice flash-of-light snack

Which third again?

More damp rating

Well I'm not drilling another hole for the ice maker water line

Pass me the tape, I'm out again.

Like and Follow for more unboxing videos

A splice? A junction? Let your imagination run wild

Electrical box archaeology

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Our motorcycles are no longer safe:
https://i.imgur.com/LBnTvnG.mp4

:swoon:

There's nothing crappy about that construction

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

nm posted:

gently caress, I hate the people who write these things

My buddy lives in a 40-year old suburb in our town. The houses have been landscaped and maintained in different ways over the years, and have that mix of finishes from building that makes them all ‘unique’.

The longer you sit and look at them, the more obvious it becomes that they are all the exact same house underneath.

Of course, the 120-year old neighbourhood I grew up in also has all the exact same floor plans. The more things change…

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Blistex posted:

I'm on Manitoulin Island. You give up some creature comforts, but (imo) it's worth it.

I'm coming to check this out on my next work trip to Sudbury! Please have the house, and my room and scotch selection ready.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I can't imagine the construction of those steps that just won't fold down flat when a fat person steps on the unsupported end.

The moment at the wall junction is causing my brain more stress than the stairs probably experience.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Double A Double V

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Sloppy posted:

A lady on my Nextdoor is (rightfully) upset at the job her 'builder' did on some deck stairs. In the Nextdoor post she noted the difference between the biggest and smallest step is 5".

Omg I want to see that whole monstrosity.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

I'm imagining that is normal 16-gauge stranded wire, and the box and lamp are really really tiny.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

power crystals posted:

Finally, we asked them to demo the shed since it was rotting with the idea being that we'd get a new one come spring. They told us they'd cap the electrical run, so, great. The reality is they cut the cable flush with the top of the conduit and then just left it there exposed. There's no cap, not even a halfassed tape attempt. Not to mention I might need to rerun the cable to have enough slack to actually connect it to anything. Thanks for that. At least they opened the breaker I guess??

Haha that reminds me of my detached garage power issue.

When I toured the house before purchase, there was a working light switch in the detached garage that turned on two ceiling fluorescents. After purchasing, I found these no longer turned on. With the state of the house it was the least of my worries at the time.

When this garage was built, the doors were on the opposite side, facing my now neighbour, as the previous owner owned both properties. He was given a permit variance to build right at the property line with the doors on the wrong side, with the condition that should the properties be severed, he had to put them on the other side. So he did this when he sold to me, and I have a garage door facing my backyard from the left, with my driveway on the right. Whatever, it’s a shop for me, not a car hole.

The trouble is the floor is a nice poured slab with a slight slope to the original door location for drainage. To try to mitigate that, he dug a little trench in front of the new doors to direct runoff. Astute readers will know where this is going: he absolutely severed the buried, unshielded bare romex he had run to power the garage. I found the live wire a couple years later.

Incidentally, the garage also turns into a bathtub every spring

mr.belowaverage fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 11, 2021

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Slugworth posted:

The best part of this is it's probably only 18 inches of conduit, and then direct buried uf wire, so you can't reasonably rerun the wire without digging up your yard. If that's the case though, depending on how much conduit is sticking out of the ground, you could potentially cut some of it off (carefully, without damaging the wire), install a box, and then go from there.

A pipe cutter would probably do this nicely.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I don't think your problem is lack of water egress. The water shouldn't be in the garage in the first place.
That said, I'd put in a floor drain(s) right at the edge where the old door was.

Oh I don’t disagree. It’s on the absolutely massive to-do list on this property to regrade the back yard, but as it is drainage is toward the garage. And the garage slab itself is on the same drainage slope because, y’know, it’s been reversed.

Some drain system for the deep end of my garage cum swimming pool is planned ASAP

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

corgski posted:

Hi! Let's give the orange man blue man chat a break in here. While undeniably crappy, it is neither construction nor constructive.

Also why are you putting cum in your garage swimming pools. :ohdear:

It’s cum, not cum. C’mon!

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

What's that kind of coffee where they feed the beans to some animal and then they poo poo them out?

Civet coffee

What a fantastic derail

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Wondering how they advertise for the job of civet-poo poo collector and/or bean-picker

I like the idea it’s two separate jobs

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

StormDrain posted:

I swapped all of mine to screwless cover plates which of course still have screws underneath but they're combos which are much nicer.

Of all the things to be magnetic, why aren’t cover plates? A decent magnet pressed into the underside plastic won’t fall off easily and takes just enough effort to remove without tools.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

MRC48B posted:

screws are cheaper than magnets, and the stuff behind those plates isn't supposed to need user servicing.

Light switch horseshoes would be a fun lockdown activity, though

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Crappy construction:

Slugworth posted:

don't think about the future.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

It’s already begun again:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/dPrMGDF.jpg][/timg]

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Looks like sewage backflow. Hope it's not your house or garage

It’s my garage pool of thread title fame.

It’s not sewage, just meltwater with a bit of dirt from the soil that collects in my concrete garage. And annoying, as I can’t solve it.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Here we go again

My “solution”

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Well, no poo poo.

It made short work of about 4” of water above those 3” of solid ice. But it’s still not a solution. I’m kind of stressed about it.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

ryanrs posted:

Salt the basement!

You're right, that would definitely be a solution!

Not the right thread to really get into it, but PainterofCrap is right. A trench on the uphill side (where the garage door is) is probably the fix. If it's big enough and deep enough to direct water under and around the garage, I can probably avoid the need for an external sump pump. The exacerbating issue, is my neighbours yard is elevated above mine, and twice the size. I get all the runoff from his yard and my own, and it's especially bad this time of year as the snow melt start. During spring/summer/fall, there's no water in the garage.

Vim Fuego posted:

From reddit

I found a similar issue in my basement after removing ceiling tiles. Four joists had been notched to accomodate a duct. And by notched, I mean 90% cut out to fit an 8" trunk. Fortunately the remaining massive true dimensional joists in this 122 year old shitheap were able to hold without issue. There isn't even a dip.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Groverhaus upgrade opportunity

A new kind of ground loop

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

tomapot posted:

How it started: “don’t worry about those cracks I’ll just put some plaster on it”
How it is going:

Looks like part of a restoration/development plan:

https://www.thempc.org/eagenda/x/mp...BE33AD7DA98.pdf

https://savannahagenda.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/30-32-MLK-rendering.pdf

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

I think I would be ok without a railing, unless you’re the type who gets up from the foot of your bed.

The spiral staircase makes no sense, and doesn’t save any useful space over a good usable loft ladder.

I guess with a ladder you can’t really carry like a tea and a snack to bed?

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

This is the antithesis to the kitchen garage door, and is behind the urban industrial and farmhouse look. Suburbanites are unconsciously exhausted by their greige lifestyles and uninspired surface materials blending together into a badly rendered hellscape. They lust for natural material, irregular surfaces and visual interest, they just don’t know anything about those things, so boom, shiplap accent wall in your all-white living room full of big-box furniture and the same prints and throw pillows as all your neighbours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

Could have gone 4 inches left but cut the exterior wall stud instead. OP says they have no idea why the contractor did this, so it's not like the shower niche had to be there. I can only theorize that they were trying to match up the tile? or something

That either not an exterior wall, or it’s double-crappy construction.

They framed the niche box with face framing for a nailing edge, but didn’t header that cripple under it, so it isn’t being treated as load-bearing.

If it isn’t, cutting the stud to put the niche where you want is nbd imo. If it is, then it’s wtf bbq.