Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
I worked as a sheet metal bitch for an HVAC company during the summer of 2000 (couldn't find an IT job, had to take what I could get). My first jobsite was a building downtown that was being renovated. Because our crew was a bunch of worthless lazy assholes, we ended up falling far behind the other crews, and that made for some interesting workarounds.

We were running some 3' by 1.5' duct down a hallway one Saturday morning around 9AM (because we were behind, we were working 58 hour weeks, 6 days a week). I was hung over as gently caress, and my foreman was as well. The ceiling guys had already put their grid up for the drop ceiling, and we had a little under 2' of room above the grid to fit the duct. We managed to get about 60' or so hung before we ran into a big rear end water pipe for the sprinkler system that crossed the hallway sideways, smack dead in the middle of the space between the ceiling grid and the bottom of the floor above. This happened all the drat time...whoever laid out the plans obviously didn't take any electrical or plumbing into account, and this time we had no room whatsoever to work around it.

After a whole lot of cussing, a whole lot of cigarettes, and a whole lot of staring at the pipe like it was going to move for us or something, my foreman said "gently caress it. Get me my loving snips, and get up there and tell me how far away that pipe is from the last piece we hung." I measured, grabbed the snips, and he slit the duct down the side lengthwise and cut a hole on each side to fit the pipe. We then sandwiched the pipe inside the upper and lower halves of the duct, slathered the joints with duct butter, and moved on to the next piece.

The foreman told me later that he had to wander around with the inspector a few days later to check all of the work we had done in the past week. Apparently the inspector saw our "fix", shook his head, and said "You'd better hope the ceiling guys get their poo poo done before anyone else sees this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
My chandelier in my dining room died on Friday, I was trying to change out a bulb, the glass part of the bulb separated from the metal end, and the prongs that hold the filament shorted. It also fried the fixture when it shorted. I had been wanting a better looking light anyways, so I went out and bought a new 5 light chandelier ($38), three two packs of dimmable CFLs ($45, jesus christ), and a new dimmer switch ($22, guess regular dimmers don't work with CFLs).

Turns out it was probably a good thing that it fried. After detaching it from the ceiling, something didn't look right with the way it was hung. Went up to the attic and discovered what's in the picture below. The red metal strap with the two bolts was lying on the drywall, that's what held the fixture up. The junction box was upside down, not attached to anything, and the cover doesn't fit (or even cover everything). The wires you see sticking out are speaker wire that was powering the fixture, they were twisted to the romex and wrapped with duct tape (gently caress wire nuts, those cost money!). To top it all off, there was a pile of metal folding chairs on top of the whole mess (I guess to keep it in place).

I hate my loving house.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

ibpooks posted:

Garagezilla

I wonder if he's buddies with the people a couple of neighborhoods over from me that built this monster:

http://g.co/maps/rwhvr

That big building with what may as well be a parking lot in the middle of the map is a garage. It belongs to the small house that's slightly to the south of it. The street view is from right after it was built, there's an RV and other assorted poo poo parked out there now, and about quadruple the amount of firewood.

Shortly after this was built, the city changed something in the residential zoning laws to prevent it from ever happening again.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

dietcokefiend posted:

Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing it looks like a church that closed down and someone turned it into a garage?

Wrong building. The garage in question is the big building with the light gray roof that's a bit east and across the street from the church you're looking at.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Jordanis posted:

I think we may have this exact same fixture in our dining room.

Somewhere, there is a catalog of cheap fixtures that you get sent by some all-knowing supplier that finds out as soon as you buy a rental property.

I also have the same fixture in my dining room, I bought it from Home Depot about a year ago to replace the absolute piece of poo poo fixture that was there when I moved in (only took me eight years to get around to it). I think it was around $60 or so. I like it, would not install it in a bathroom though. Who does that?

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

devicenull posted:

This was a fun surprise... I turned the water on to the outdoor spigot for the first time, and water began spraying everywhere in the attic.

Apparently, this burst on one of the previous owners, and their solution was just to turn off the supply to the spigot. Home inspector missed it (he didn't even mention the outdoor spigot didn't work).

Pulling out wet fiberglass insulation is even worse then dealing with dry fiberglass.

I got a call from my sister about a month ago, they had the HVAC dude over to check their system. He needed to use the hose out back to spray off something or other, and she told me that every time he turned the spigot on, water was leaking into the basement. My first guess was burst pipe, but she said that as soon as he turned off the spigot, the leak stopped. So then I figured, welp, guess it's something dicked up in the spigot itself, and told her that my dad and I would come over to look at it. There wasn't a shutoff inside for that branch, so I figured we'd get her one of those newfangled frost free spigots and pop that on, problem solved.

Get over to the house, and surprise, she already has a frost free spigot. Problem is, she never disconnected the hose reel from the spigot over the winter. All of the water that was still in the bottom of the reel and hose was still sitting in the spigot, then froze, and blew apart the section of pipe between the valve seat and the spigot itself. The split was on the top of the pipe (and tucked away behind some insulation), which is why she didn't see the problem immediately. Guess that answers the question as to why it was only leaking when you turned it on from the outside.

So, frost free spigots are great, so long as you disconnect the loving hose from them in the winter.

EDIT: Knew I had a pic of it somewhere...

What surprised me is the fact that the garden hose itself was fine, I would figure that if the ice could expand enough to blow out a section of copper, it should have busted the hose as well. She has learned her lesson, she'll be draining the hose and disconnecting it after each use from now on.

Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 28, 2016

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Zhentar posted:

The pipe material has to stretch by less than 10% to accommodate the expansion of water freezing (assuming a single freeze). This can pretty easily break copper but it's a trivial amount of stretch for most hose materials.

Do those 'mushroom head' anti siphon hose bibs not break pressure and drain like the addon vacuum breakers do?

Apparently not, because this one had an anti-siphon thingy on the top of the spigot, and it didn't do poo poo to relieve the pressure. And the hose being able to stretch makes sense, I figured that it would have expanded enough to keep the pipe from popping, but once the water starts freezing, it's not going to move out of the copper and into the hose to continue expanding, kind of stuck where it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

McMansion hell got me in the spirit and I saw this in Arlington today:

The fake stone falling off is probably my favorite.

I'm a little late to the party, but regarding that bulge in the siding that someone else mentioned...

I would bet that it's vinyl siding, and the sunlight being reflected off the porch "roof" or whatever the gently caress you'd call that thing is being focused in that area, causing the siding to heat up and warp. There was an episode of Ask This Old House where a lady had a huge window on the back side of her house that was reflecting sunlight into an adjacent wall and had actually melted the siding.