Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

poemdexter posted:

The real crappy part is that tiny rear end TV.

I feel like your light fixture shouldn't be bigger than your tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Friend of mine is a home inspector, so he's always sharing pics of crazy stuff he finds. He literally ran into this the other day.

Those fan blades are exactly eyeball height for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The only hanging light fixtures I would ever get would be:

And they would only go above the pool table.

If you get one of those lamps you are required by law to also acquire either a Centipede or Ms. Pac Man sit down table top arcade game.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

therobit posted:

Does it have to be Encyclopedia Brown poor do the Hardy Boys count also?

Hardy Boys def count, can confirm.

e: Choose Your Own Adventure books also qualify

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So glad I live in a city where all the lines are buried, what an eyesore.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Dave posted:

The lines are like problem 4 or 5 with that house.

Oh, for sure, everyone pretty much covered the rest though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

You mean without a moon roof right? Because there is no faster way to cool a sunbaked hothouse car down to ambient than opening the chimney and windows at the same time.

Also, every moon roof I've seen has an opaque panel that you can slide out to cover the glass completely. Moon roofs own in the hot summers.

e: leather seats otoh...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

From what I understand the difference used to be that sunroofs are just the glass panel you can crack open, but not slide open. Moonroofs slide open, and have the panel that can slide in to block the sun. Now days I think they are all the same and used interchangably.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bonster posted:

I almost bought an entertainment center with barn doors back before I realized how trendy they were. Glad I didn't - I went with a much plainer solid oak one that will still look good as a credenza when all entertainment is through chips implanted in our brains.

I was just shopping for one recently, and it was so hard to find something decent that didn't have either a barn door or an electric insert fireplace. Luckily we found something we liked, and it was a great deal since it wasn't currently en vogue.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We just replaced the last of our white shag carpet this past summer. Pulling up that last strip was one of the most cathartic experiences of my life.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Supposed to take pictures of FLAT Stanleys out in the world, not FAT Stanleys.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ghostnuke posted:

directly adjacent to 8 lane highway

Don't worry, you won't be able to hear the highway when it rains considering the gigantic steel roof. I'm sure it doesn't rain too often in the PacNW though....

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Weembles posted:

That house looks like it was built by someone whose one goal in life was to live in a 1985 era Holiday Inn Holidome.

Hah, I couldn't quite put my finger on it but that's exactly what it reminds me of.

e: if you showed 1985 me this it would probably be my dream house

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Devor posted:

Went to an open house that had a slate roof. The seller's realtor said that they had spend $75,000 to replace the roof 5 years ago. I know it's fairly typical to mention big ticket repairs that were recently done so you know you're getting all that benefit without spending more money - but Jesus Christ that number is terrifying.

We just replaced our roof this spring with 30 year asphalt shingles for just under $5k. Looks like we'd only need to live in this house for 450 years to equal the cost of that slate roof.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A guy in my city murdered his wife last year by blowing up his house, but he hosed it up and managed to kill himself too. It was a big enough explosion we felt and heard it miles away at our place. He also had a healthy stockpile of ammo stored there, so it was a nightmare to contain.

https://journalstar.com/news/local/...3322d10d.html#3

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 5, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My favorite of those shows from back in the day was Hometime with Dean something or other and a changing cast of female cohosts. Always seemed like the ladies on that show were more capable than Dean.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

poo poo, that looks better than a lot of "home theaters" I've seen in person.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't care how good your aim is, tiny droplets are getting flung off to the side. They may or may not be visible, but it's happening. The penis is not a precision instrument.

And this is setting aside that flushing a toilet inherently releases a cloud of micro droplets. It's just unsanitary to have non washable porous surfaces in a bathroom. There's no good reason to do it, plenty of good reasons not to. Sure there's worse things you can do, but that's textbook damning with faint praise.

I had a friend in HS that had carpeted bathrooms, and his mom had signs up in them telling guests that standing up to pee was strictly forbidden and all men had to take a seat. She was always super suspicious of his friends when we came over (with good reason).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Javid posted:

My uncle's place has a pretty great carpeted shitter.

The carpet was an even tone of red when it was put in.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there an electrical outlet in that area? One side of that will be along a wall stud, then you can measure 16" over and tap a little test nail to find another.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wonder how far up the pipes that has frozen.

Let it go...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe it's a workshop? (It's not but would be cool.)

A lawnmower would fit tho.

Yeah that would be for like lawnmower, snowblower, motorcycle something like that. Still terrible though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

My favourite cock is the sounding cock with 2" test cock.

Always get such disappointing results with the 2" test cock.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Challenge accepted.

That is a target rich environment.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

https://www.redcross.org/volunteer/become-a-volunteer.html

Keeps my dad and uncle busy, they both enjoy it. They have a lot of different volunteer positions, too. Dad is on a DAT team, responding to house fires and stuff, and also deploys to disaster areas. He just got back from the Nebraska floods. But there are people who just do office work, or maintain CB radio links, or work on the vehicles, install smoke alarms or run public events, tons of stuff.

https://twitter.com/RedCrossNorthFL/status/1115962656404512768

look at this goober, being all helpful and dadly, and letting kids run on his lawn without a care in the world

and before you say it, I know red cross isn't perfect and has it's flaws, but it allows dad to help a lot of people, and he gets a lot of fulfillment from it.

Tell your dad he rules.

-signed a Nebraskan

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

How long do you guys spend in the shower? Even on days I wash my long rear end hair I'm barely in there for longer than 15 minutes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I guess I never really stopped to think about it, but the bathrooms in my house are the only places that have no form of media playback at all. Even my garage has a tv w/ a fire stick hooked up. Bathroom I'm either reading a book on the toilet or zoning out to water sounds and birds chirping outside while showering.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You have to add the seasoning packet or it doesn't set correctly.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wasn't there a thread in GBS years and years ago where a dude buried a shipping container in his yard and was making some kind of prepper dungeon? I'll have to do some digging in the archives.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Don't know about the container, but there was a guy probably here in DIY who wanted to dig a hole in his back yard and build a rape dungeon "server room" of some sort to keep computer poo poo in. He was digging it out by hand, to keep costs down, despite everyone telling him he should just call up a guy with a backhoe who could probably dig the same thing in two hours.

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of, and people were suggesting a shipping container would be easier than what he was planning.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^^^ Whoah!

And in far less garish, but just as stupid, design decisions:

The garage is slowly taking over the rest of the house.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dagen H posted:

I live in rural Ohio, this is An Actual Thing in a lot of pole barns/detached garages.

A friends ex-husband has a nice detached auto-shop/garage, with a urinal mounted on the back wall that pipes straight out into the yard.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I picked up a few of these leaf chutes and a couple pairs of these hand scoop things and they make short work of our leaves. We rake about 30 bags worth every fall, and these tools cut the time in at least half.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaf-Easy-Plastic-Leaf-and-Lawn-Chute-LELLCP/202491987
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bully-Tools-12-5-in-Poly-Leaf-Scoop-1000/301266771

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Chasing my dog around the yard with huge rear end bear claws on my hands is the highlight of the whole process.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That house is wearing a toupee.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

While house shopping ten years ago we looked at an exceedingly well built house in a nice neighborhood that had carpet EVERYWHERE. And by everywhere I mean not only wall to wall in every room including the orange kitchen and lime green bathrooms, but it was even on the ceiling in several rooms. Bedrooms and living room had these large, like 2'x6' wood framed panels of carpet up on the ceilings. Also the owner was murdered by her adult son inside the home.

Our asking-price offer was not accepted, and we decided not to get in a bidding war over the carpet murder house.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Did they just re-invent emergency life rafts?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Please say there are listing photos of this still online.

I found a listing on zillow, but sadly it's been remodeled in the intervening 10 years. Fortunately ceiling carpet survived in at least one room:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8110-Imperial-Cir-Lincoln-NE-68506/6629365_zpid/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not gonna lie, I would totally dress like Guy Fieri and drink Miller Lites in that garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004