Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mizufusion posted:

The chandelier in my kitchen hangs about 6 feet off the ground. Even though we put a table under it, my fiance still manages to hit his head on it sometimes. He also manages to walk into the pull chains for the ceiling fans in two different rooms. Residential construction just isn't kind to the tall.

However, they can reach, and use, the top shelf in cabinets! We got cabinets where the bottom shelf is eye level, so the top shelf is up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Install some flow-through fans and some copper piping, and run that super cold well water through it. Yay, now you have AC!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Bad Munki posted:

"Light fixture full of dangerous wildlife."

"Sir, I am afraid we cannot continue your policy. Your chandelier is full of moose."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hey, I love trees as much as anyone, but trees close to a house are loving bad. Fucks up your pipes, fucks up your foundation, drops all that poo poo and sap on your roof.
Some trees are just ASSHOLES that I would treeicide any I find on my property. Silver Maples for one.

Now, we have a 100+(ish) gum tree here that I wouldn't think of cutting down. If that bastard can survive that long, earned a little respect.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I... What is the layout of that house where a 7 foot tall window can be directly under the sink?
I mean hey, free window, but then again it's under the sink.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

spog posted:

I think you should feel a little lucky that it wasn't 35.99inc as these things often turn out to be.

Like the time I had to help move a new fridge into my sister's house. The (hand made by a previous owner) cabinets were shy by 1 inch. We had to take the top ones down, and shave an inch off the bottom to get it to fit.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The government gave all those companies tons of money long ago to update their infrastructure across the nation. They took the money, bought a couple solid gold boats and gave the finger to the US.

Which is why I am on 1.5 Megabits DSL.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SkunkDuster posted:

Please correct me if I am wrong (because I'd love to know), but I was under the impression that there is no solvent known to man for silicon caulk.

A little bit of FOOF would do the trick. :v:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cakefool posted:

I was dreading being a landlord, this family have been perfect remnants, I only hope I live up to that, and that I can sell it when they leave, I can't possibly be lucky enough to get another set of good tenants.

Why not offer to sell it to the tenets, then? Win-win for everyone!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We had a little fun one last weekend. Our pool's water level became fond of dropping in the later part of last week. We were second-guessing when we had refilled the pool, but it became obvious something wasn't right. When I went to shut off the filter, I saw one of the pipe joint was spewing water. After shutting off the filter, I jiggled with it and found the pipe completely came free from the elbow joint. There was nothing keeping the pipe adhered to the joint. I got some PVC primer and cement and got them fixed together. Everything has been much more dry in the pool house since then. It was always a little damp in there.

It used to house a well on the properly, so it could take a bit of water, and it airs out easily, but it's kind of disturbing to think that has been going on this whole time. We had all the pool plumbing replaced when we got this house a year and a half ago.

Conversely to that, I've seen where the installers GLUED the inch and a half male fittings into the drat selector valve bit. We didn't do it, so it's bleeding hilarious.

But yes, people, if you ever get pool work done, always go behind them and check. I've seen/heard first hand tales of people not glueing poo poo at all. You can get away with that on a waste line, but not on anything else.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What if you dipped the steel beam in molten copper?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

With the price of copper these days I get the feeling that stainless would be cheaper at that point.

Also you'd probably wind up with some kind of dissimilar metals galvanic malarkey that would dissolve it anyway, but I'm not positive on that one.

These days? It's half what it was a few years ago.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a hammer drill!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sounds like a perfect excuse to sell your house and get one with a garage!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Long story short, I am planning on entering into a one year Rent-Lease Agreement for a house. I should have content for this thread here soon enough, but for now I ask for advice.
Anyone have experience with this, things to watch out for? As far as the legal side of the agreement goes/the terms thereof.
I'll be doing repairs on the house myself (those that I can do, and those that I can research and learn to do)

I don't really want to gently caress myself, more than I already am! The house itself isn't really worth what I'll be paying. However, it has 10 acres of land, 9 of it wooded.
Has a 2bed/1 bath trailer on a corner of the property. Also has a capped well, which I'll be seeing about getting uncapped.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It has city water, etc etc. I was talking about the well as added value, since it costs a fair bit to have a proper well dug.

10 acres has its own value, if it was the house on a half acre, then no.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Call it whatever you will, I'll be renting for the next year, and then do a proper loan at that time (minus what I've paid in rent). It is unorthodox, but not unheard of.
It's a binding contract, drawn up by a lawyer and notarized.

I really don't get why you keep having confusion about a well. Who has said anything about cutting off city water?
I like to have a big garden, a well would be useful for this! It costs a good chunk of change to get a well set up, so I am factoring this into the property value.
If you can't think of uses for a well, then you either live deep in a city, or just don't have much imagination.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 14, 2015

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I have personally walked through with an inspector. He checked from top to bottom. I'd have to be a bigger fool than I am to NOT get an inspection done.
You make a point about the well. I don't recall when they said they had it capped off, but it had been in use up until that point.
The owner had gotten old, and couldn't really keep up with things like a big garden or whatever.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I appreciate that you are trying to help, and keep me from making a costly mistake, but ya'll need to step the intensity back a couple steps.
I've had inspections done, and I am getting a lawyer to look over the contract before anything is signed.
There is a fine line between "protecting yourself" and " everyone is out to gently caress you"

I'm not a goon in a well, so I'd appreciate dialing back the hostility a bit.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hello, Crappy Construction thread! I have been working my way through the last....4-5ish years of posts, and while I still have about 300 pages left to catch up on, I did want to share this:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1512952298901797/

No spoilers/teasers, you will want to see this.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

From the BSS Newspaper Comics thread.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am surprised no one has started Bridge Chat in here yet.

The main bridge across the Mississippi, connecting Arkansas and Memphis has been shut down for a few weeks so far.

The Bridge gets inspected every 2 years. This year, the Inspector found a "crack" in one of the main support beams that run the entire length of the bridge.

The word used is "crack" but:

Less of a "crack" and more of a massive and complete fracture.

The Inspector immediately called his Department of Transportation office, and then 911 so that the bridge could be shut down and all traffic removed.
They even stopped all River traffic, until the next day. They were, at the time, concerned about the whole drat bridge just coming down.

Came out about a week later, that there was direct evidence that the fracture was there in 2019. And then a bit later, evidence that it had been there in 2015-2016!
I mean, Kudos to the person who designed it! Can have a 1 inch fracture of one of the main support beams, and it still be fine for 5-6 years.

The Inspector who had been in charge of the inspections, has been sacked.

Now, here is the fun part. This bridge is 51 years old, and had around 67,000 vehicles crossing it a day.
There IS another bridge, The old bridge that was used before. It is 71 years old. Hrmm, Hypothetical question, if the main, iconic bridge hadn't been getting proper inspections (and thus maintenance/repair), what do you think the chances are that the older bridge can handle an extra 67K vehicles across it a day?

Though, Good news! It probably isn't getting that volume of traffic a day.
From what the driver of a tanker delivering gas told me, it takes him an hour, hour and a half to cross the bridge, as it is so backed up.

But good news! There IS another bridge!

An hour and a half south of Memphis at Helena, AR.

I guess this is what happens when you don't pay a dime into infrastructure for 50 years.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Plenty of room for it to expand now! :v:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

StormDrain posted:

What happened to it?

it turned most fowl!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dear people: Water is heavy. Jot that down somewhere important

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hrmm...what was their profit margin like back then that they could scrap out so many balls?

lolol the 1950s and Boomers lolol

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Man, y'all need to get poorer.

Look on Facebook Marketplace and local sale groups. Look on Craigslist. Look at your local auction companies, either ones at their location or estate auctions.
Estate auctions are where it is AT, my friend.
Look at flea markets! Look if you have a used furniture store around! Look and see if you have furniture repair/refinishers in your area.

There is gobs of used furniture to be had, and if your friend already committed themselves to helping you, then if you found a table that needs to work, well that's easier than building a whole new table.
Hell, most of the time all you need is a good cleaning, some light sanding and a new coat of stain.

and as TooMuchAbstraction said, anything made of real wood should be fine, so you can go vintage with 1970s and 80s before everything was plywood.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 13, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Anne Whateley posted:

Restoring furniture is fun, but look at the dimensions she needs. You're not going to find long narrow behind-the-couch console tables from the '40s or the '70s. Dining tables yes, side tables yes, but what she needs wasn't a thing then afaik. You would be limited to more recent stuff, so either expensive or mdf. It's still worth a shot on craigslist or facebook marketplace, but it's not going to be dropping from the skies the way Queen Anne repro does.

36 inches long and 12 to 14 inches wide isn't some white whale item.

Not like she is asking for a 10 foot long, 2 foot wide butler's pantry

like I have in storage

Actually, you know what would be good for that? Those console stereos that they made into the 80s.

like this:

but there is all kinds of styles. The ones from the 70s and 80s you can get pretty cheap, if you look around. Could even gut it, and store your aquarium supplies in it.

Here is a really nice looking one, with a solid top on it, for 25 bucks.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...3Anull%7D%22%7D

...though, I suppose it is a fair bit wider than your 12-14 inches.

ANYWAY, I mean personally, I'd grab a tape measure, and spend a day at the local flea markets.

Saw this:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...3Anull%7D%22%7D

Anyhow, my point is, there is ton of possibilities out there. Just gotta start looking.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 13, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Schrödinger's Scorpion

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
WHAT A TWEEST!

The perfect item was inside the garage ALL ALONG

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Great - now they have a suitable stand for the tank, but the tank is not suitable.

Better look in the other garage.

A Garage of Holding. an Extra-dimensional space that connects to the void between realities. There is always something new and different when you open the door, as lost and missing objects that have slipped through the cracks of reality have a tendency to find their way into that garage.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

kid sinister posted:

It's not melting the siding yet.

Maybe it's Asbestos siding? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm also remembering that case from, I think it was a year or two ago, in Canada, where someone hired someone to drill a well on their property, but they punctured the aquifer in an un-containable well and ended up flooding the property and a decent degree of the neighbourhood, in such a way that the contractor fled the country because it was such an immense shitfest they did not want to deal with.

" Hola You are back from Canada early."

"Countrys Flooded"

"What"

*Grabs fake mustache and hat*

"Country's flooded"