Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

InstantInfidel posted:

And if the room was the size of Texas but the depth didn't change, neither would the pressure.

Shoulder height is more like 4'6. Also, that pressure is exerted on the bottom of the door - the top of the door got barely anything at all. Maybe that helped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Messadiah posted:

It's terrible and lovely, but none of those look like supporting walls. Also I like the pictures highlighting the ugly wood which is completely normal for wood construction.

It's not just ugly, it's got pretty deep flaws that affect the stability of the wood. A knot or two in a 2x4 isn't the end of the world, but an inch-deep cavity or crack running along the length means it needs to be set aside. Maybe I'm paranoid because I live on the Pacific Rim and all, but drat.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

No mortar. Normal brick construction. We had people sign off on buildings with no mortar at all.

A stonemason friend of mine says that they're going to key into the rebar with the second story, and that this looks like legit work to him.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I have a serious weakness for masons (not Masons). Is it the burly arms you get from moving rocks all day? The gruff yet contemplative personality that the profession attracts? The fine layer of stone dust adorning everything they own? So dreamy. :allears:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

.....wow. There's spite and then there's that poo poo. There was some similar nonsense where my grandparents' creek dock was encroaching on the neighbor's property line due to the dock being naturally built perpendicular to the bank of the creek, and so extending a bit off the property line on one side. Eventually they got it worked out because apparently around Charleston there's some special considerations for grandfathered structures when they're on the water.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

God drat it I was like "hell yes ten new posts" and then it was just a bunch of dicks complaining that his hot water heater isn't ghetto enough.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

The ultimate schadenfreude for me was discovering that he had been made a mod, and suddenly everything about the forums made sense.

edit for clarity: and then de-modded, sadly

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, no, those two posts re. drugging the wife and using her as slave labor were someone else taking the piss, but like all great parodies, it's only a small jump from the truth:

Yyyyeeeep.

In complete fairness, when you finally get medicated for ADD doing things like a real grownup is seriously fun and awesome. I was a dish washing MACHINE when I started my pills.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

We bought and moved house a few times when I was a kid. My mom told me that the most important thing when you're house shopping is to first shop for a good contractor to be your inspector, and THEN start shopping for houses. I didn't realize at the time that this was deep wisdom.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Speaking of HOAs, I discovered this gem yesterday:

http://lipomafirsnorth.org/

I know naming your golf course subdivision of McMansions after a benign fatty tumor isn't out of code, but there really ought to be a law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoma

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Nightmare Zone posted:

I always thought our apartment complex was set up weird and the other night I guess I was right.

Sweet, bonus moat! Toss in a few gators or snapping turtles and you got yourself a home defense system. Need to figure out how to retract that drawbridge though.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I'd be fascinated to read whatever source you're working with.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

No seriously guys, I actually want to read about fire statistics and google is full of crap :smith:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

:cripes: I knew this thread would inevitably cross over into the health care stories thread.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

If there isn't already, there should be a service where you can hire an inspector to monitor a home being built on behalf of the owners. They should have the awareness and ability to deal with issues before they are hidden or costly to deal with.
Don't know how you could keep him neutral in the process though as city inspectors seem hit or miss as well.

Sorry to quote this so late but there's at least one company in Seattle that does this for places as far as ID and CA. The same market niche has to be filled in other places, though, because banks want to know that the home loan is actually going towards the house they approved it for and not something drastically different (or nothing at all).

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

gently caress's sakes people, start a goddamn thread if you really have to discuss soundproofing that much. Unless it's to post pictures of the last tenant's hilariously awful fire trap solutions for sound proofing.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

hailthefish posted:

Sadly nobody ever seems to want a shitload of paper wasps.

gently caress paper wasps. They're not endangered and they can die in a fire (literally).

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

In our new place, we have the work of a perfectly competent but rather overzealous electrician. In an average size 3/4 bathroom, which is all one room with no dividers, there are three wall lamps. They each have their own switch. Oh, and a switch for the fan, too, of course, but it's not working because it's a piece of poo poo. At least it's wired well. The place is actually up to commercial code due to being a ~flex space~ i.e. mixed use office/residential. Just... overdid it on the light switches front.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I'm a fan of persuading/bullying the owner into reimbursing via a discount to rent any improvements made to the property. In the case of plumbing, landscaping, and pest/mold abatement, it's actually legally defensible! But that's just for my state (Washington) so don't go in guns ablazing because I said so.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Tumblr is the falling-down, thrice-renovated but still needs a new roof and has extensive water damage, foundation was never laid right, traces of old owners trying to fix the wiring, Grover house of web design. You have to do special things to it to get it to display right for everyone and nobody really puts the effort in because if you have those skills, why are you publishing content via Tumblr.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Screw the Akron, go full Evangelion and move all aircraft storage underground, only invest in one lift. Way cheaper.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Apparently this goes to an outdoor metal halide security light???

Wait, so this is how they turn it on and off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Jusupov posted:

He did get tested for his mercury levels

Yeah, Cody is actually doing things with a reasonable amount of common sense (except for that video with the nitroglycerin where he admits to spilling it on himself). The problem is that then idiots watch his videos and think that they, too, possess a reasonable amount of common sense, and things escalate.