Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All this sump pump talk reminds me of my parents basement. They came into some money so they decided to remodel the basement due to water gradually becoming worse and worse over the years. Removing the drywall found a lot of mold, so that was fun. They ended up having to put in a second sump pump, add battery backup to both, dig up the foundation along the outside walls to add a weeping tile system and then have a crew come in to dig trenches around th property so that the water would stop flowing directly to the house. Good times.

Also my office at work has something like 5 freaking sump pumps with alarms due to all the water. Madison, WI here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

After I purchased my condo I came to realize that the insulation in the attic was extremely subpar. I paid a good amount of money for someone to come in and spray foam it all down. Nice tax rebate from that too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's going to be a tough decision when I finally sell this place (side note, I purchased my condo for 100k. The city just revalued it at 50k :suicide: ) because I don't want an old house due to having to fix everything but new homes tend to be built as cheap as possible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This deserves to be shown here.

Ahh Comcast.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's not my picture. Here is the reddit (I know) thread. Found via imgur.

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/19ekq3/comcast_shittiest_install_ever/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Blistex posted:

What I'm actually worried about is getting the room finished before my wife gets back. I told her I had a big surprise for her, and I don't want it to be a dusty, room with no cupboards or flooring.

Did you actually say it was a good surprise?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I always enjoyed this picture (not mine):

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Did the big piece of marble 'fall off a truck'?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Are you sure there are no secret rooms?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Cover the inside of the door with cork, that's a noise reducer, right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So we're having Veridian Homes build us a house. It's pretty exciting for I've never built a house before. Right now it's just an empty corner lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Suave Fedora posted:

When is the last time you were sorely disappointed by nothing happening when there was supposed to be something happening?

I can think of a few dates I went out where I was sorely disappointed by nothing happening.

They said the time from starting to dig the hole until move in time is 4 months. Of course it all depends on selling my condo. Anyone want a condo in Madison, WI?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

4 months to build a house??? That seems crazy, unless it's "dropping off a mobile home on a slab and hooking up utilities".

I know right? We'll see. It's this home:

http://www.veridianhomes.com/build/plans/the-kennedy?sort=alpha-rev&show=12&page=1

I see all these horror stories in this thread and it makes sense to pay extra so I don't have to worry as much. 30 year warranty on water in the basement makes me thrilled.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah basically they have like 20 set designs, but it's totally customizable. For instance, I'm adding 4 feet to the garage, removing the half wall up the stairs and putting in a railing system, removing the tub in the master bath and putting in a kick rear end shower, etc etc etc.

The house might be 219k, but it's gonna be closer to 275k when it's all said and done.

One of their engineers added all the changes to the schematics and printed them out for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

uwaeve posted:

You know this is the terrible construction thread, right? Was this just an introduction so we'll all know the backstory?

Welp. I'll shut up now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Honestly, I've been following this thread for ages, and didn't have much to contribute. I am absolutely terrible at home improvement and not very handy. It's one big reason I'm going with a new build.

I guess I can talk about the shirt I found in the dryer vent half way in the attic of my condo. Almost burned the drat place down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, our lot is quite small, so I definitely understand. They didn't hide that fact and you can easily see it when you drive around the neighborhood. People have no room to complain about that though because they know it going in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MH Knights posted:

Veridian?! :ohdear: Yeah your house is likely going to belong in this thread. I would REALLY suggest visiting the construction site on a regular basis to make sure things don't get to messed up.

I have lived in Madison, WI my whole life and the people that run Veridian, formerly Don Simon Homes and many others, have a reputation as being home "slap it together with cheap unskilled day labors-ers" rather than actual home builders. This review pretty much sums up most people's experience with a Veridian home.

I've been in Madison the last 20 years or so. We'll see what happens. This is the first negative thing I've seen concerning them. I work with a half dozen or so folks who have had houses built by them and has nothing but good things to say.

Might be moot though, because the lady that was suppose to buy my condo canceled after driving around the neighborhood saying that there was too many minorities for her liking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Hey, I don't know Veridian's work, but, based on looking at your link, and what I've seen from a friend's recent house-buying issues, you need to seriously ask them what the plan is, if you have a plumbing issue with those bathrooms. In one, the wet wall is in a walk-in closet, so it's easy to put in an access panel, but the other one, holy poo poo, the wet wall backs up on the main hallway. If you have a leak or something, and it's very possible, considering it's being put up in a loving hurry, you're doing demo-work to get at it.

Good point. They do give a 30 year warranty against water in the basement and a 10 year against plumbing (and electrical) issues, but that's something to be aware of too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

A coworker just signed on a house through Veridian and his move in date is August 28th. Mine isn't for a while yet, for things aren't finalized until I sell my condo.

The coworker is hardcore on keeping up on progress, so it'll be good to see how it goes before mine starts.

So far the only thing that kind of pisses me off is that they have a contract with Bryant to put in their equipment and I work for another HVAC manufacturer so I can get my poo poo next to nothing. I told them that I'll just be ripping the Bryant stuff out.

Edit: do you guys give a poo poo about any of this or should I make my own thread at some point for updates?

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 30, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

DNova posted:

Regardless of what we give a poo poo about, it might be pretty useful to some people if you had a nicely detailed thread about the whole process of having a new build done. I'm not in any way considering a new build but I'd find it interesting enough to check on from time to time.

Good call. Once I sell the place, I'll see what I can do. I have schematics of the whole thing that I can scan in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

uwaeve posted:

Thanks for the posts. As I recall I got frustrated and my conclusion was "insert conduit," then we wound up buying a not-new house anyhow so it became moot. Does laying conduit have fire considerations? I know when we had our radon system put in they required fire collars, but that was between the garage and house, and a much larger PVC pipe. Since I am pretty behind the times is there HD video over cat6 equipment, or is HDMI with repeaters for long runs still the standard? I don't know, maybe everyone just buys lots of receivers/DVRs/game consoles now for their houses.

If you want to have a long run of HDMI, get one of these and run ethernet:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=8009&seq=1&format=2

We do it at work and they are awesome.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My folks use Angie's List and has had good luck finding decent repair people.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Only reasonable if the renter takes the bulbs with him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That apartment is gonna go through quite a few of cheap rear end lovely bulbs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You mean $75 for your time replacing them too, right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Does Holmes still do shows? I used to DVR all his stuff but HGTV hasn't shown anything new for a long while.

I agree on premium materials. Not everyone can afford to spray form their entire house.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Reggie Died posted:

I think the biggest annoyance with Holmes is the lack of any pricing being mentioned.

Granted, labour rates will vary from location to location, but ball park figures wouldn't hurt.

It's been awhile since I've watched the show, but from my re-collection, they usually mention how much the homeowner's initially paid the previous contractor. It's usually far too low, implying they went with a lowest bid (25k for a kitchen remodel when it should have been closer to 50k). Then Holmes comes in, and fixes everything, but for what would probably amount to 75-80k.

Now people watching are thinking THAT quality of work should be had at their house for bargain basement prices.

Not knocking the guy though, since I'm now part of his referral program. If it's anythign like the show I was on (Property Brothers), then there is a lot of smoke and mirrors for ratings anyways.

Wait, you were in Property Brothers? Do you have a blog or anything where you detailed this experience?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Plus it's like car work, the materials are pennies compared to the labor costs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Flip or Flop isn't bad but the guy loving grinds my gears. He is all

"OH GOD IF WE DON'T MAKE THIS SALE WE'LL LOSE EVERYTHING".

There was another flipping show that took place in Florida, I believe, and that couple cut so many corners holy poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My girlfriend used a bidet toilet combo while in Japan and now is keeping her eyes peeled for a decent model here in the US. She says once she finds one for sub $1000 we're getting it ASAP.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah we saw those. We don't have elongated toilets nor a power outlet anywhere near where the toilet is. Although since the house is still under construction I wonder what the code is for an outlet close to the toilet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Well, you don't need an elongated toilet, and I don't know how you think that toilet works without electricity.

The one on the Kohler page is only a toilet seat, not an entire toilet. It says it fits only elongated toilets. And yes, probably need electricity run regardless.

Ahh, that's better :) I like how it has a remote control. For some reason.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 9, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

CopperHound posted:

If you have a penis I may recommend seeing if you can upgrade to an elongated toilet.

Good point. There are quite a few toilet upgrades. Dual flush, etc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Uhhh I feel a need to totally scrub my pretty clean bathroom now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's what an intern who doesn't know any better is for.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What goddamn home builder are you using?!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Neo Duckberg posted:

I won't name names, but I work directly for a man who has a majority share in two construction companies that build 500+ homes per year in my state, additionally he himself owns 20+ rental properties. He's also cheap as gently caress. I'm guilty building here.

Not Wisconsin, per chance?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I just sold my condo and the buyer didn't have a home inspector go through it. Not that there is anything to find, but how does she know that? She did ask me to pay this $75 for a home warranty which was wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah when my water heater got busted, the HVAC company tried selling me on a $3000 solar water heater when a gas heater was like $400. I went from electric to gas and saved a bunch per month. Hell even a gas tankless is a way better deal than solar.