Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was a project manager on a storm water detention pond project several years back. As part of the project there was a large underground settling tank that needed to be built. This settling tank was 10ftx10ftx150ft so it was big. The contractor could choose the way they wanted to build it and instead of using precast sections they chose to cast it in place in one orgy of concrete pouring.

Setting the forms took over a week and was an impressive job and very well done. There was an impressive amount of reinforcing steel inside the formwork and to simplify matters the contractor did not leave openings for the pipe, deciding to come back and core the holes after the forms were off. (Red Flag!)

The concrete pour was an all day affair and went well. A few days later the exterior forms were stripped and the interior forms were going to be pulled the next day. Unfortunately the next day we had rain. When I say rain we had a storm of epic proportions. If you are familiar with a storm water detention pond, it is a place to hold water from a storm. It usually doesn't stay a pond except during storms and when a storm comes, it will fill up with water. This pond filled up with water fast and if you can imagine a big concrete bathtub sitting in a deep pool of water, what does it do? It floats.

This big concrete structure wasn't designed to be a boat but it tried. It started to raise and when the uneven lifting pressures grew to be too great it broke and sank. Nearby residents heard a large bang when the concrete shattered. Well over $100,000 of work was lost in one rain storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

poemdexter posted:

Holy poo poo, do you have pictures or an newspaper article on that? That had to be a sight to see.

No newspaper articles - we tried to keep it hushed. I may have pictures somewhere. The contractor and design consultant ate up the costs.

edit: I looked through my digital photos but did not find the pictures. It's possible that I took film photos or may have lost the digital photos due to a hard drive crash at one point.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 25, 2011

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
To be somewhat fair, the walls are most likely non-load-bearing so you can get away with weird framing issues but the door is trippy. The place looks institutional - maybe a psych clinic? Maybe part of the patients' therapy is building poo poo like this???

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
If you use your kitchen to COOK then an open concept can lead to problems. I've seen too many new condos with open concept kitchens that have no ventilation or windows. Good luck trying to impress your dinner guests when you are having a fish fry.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
My older area of the city is still a combined sewer system. In fact, against all common sense, out municipal sewer system still refuses to convert the combined systems to separate even when relaying the old pipe. It would have been smart to slowly start a long range separation program when they were building the Deep Tunnel peak storage system back in the 80's.

Now, the sewerage district is trying alternative methods to manage peak storm discharges including promoting rain gardens, garden rain barrels, alternative street runoff management, detention ponds, and even permeable pavements. There also is a pilot program to start lining sewer laterals to prevent inflow during storms.

I haven't completely disconnected my downspouts but have installed a few rain barrels and plan on installing a rain garden in the front yard. I also need to re-route a few gutters so that their flow doesn't go into the the downspouts and into the sewer system. With a smaller yard it is a challenge but I think I am doing my part. Unfortunately most of the rental duplexes in the neighborhood could give a poo poo and their downspouts dump into the combined system. Hopefully there will be a bigger push to levy fines against owners who don't make the effort to manage their own storm flow.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Someone *really* doesn't know how to use the three seashells.

The part about flushing the shells was supposed to be a joke. Honestly I would not use anything rather than use a sharp seashell.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Looks like it was built as a trampoline.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

`Nemesis posted:

Downtown Milwaukee WI is right next to Lake Michigan, and sections were previously swamp land way back in the early 1800s, and the water table is very very high in the whole area. A number of historic multistory buildings have original, submerged wood foundations that are still in great shape because they have never been exposed to air. One building had settling problems and it was determined that the water table in that area had dropped due to a deep tunnel storm water system that was installed a few hundred feet under it. The tunnel leaks in a few places so the water table dropped below the building and the wood foundation started drying out and rotting. I think they actually have to pump water INTO the foundation now to keep it stable.

A lot of words to say that it is a valid building technique, when done intentionally :)

Most of the blame for decaying pilings is BS cooked up by building owners to get the government to pay for problems that have been around for a long time. This article is from 1954, about 30 years before the Deep Tunnel was built. The head building inspector supposedly did a study of the same problem in downtown back in the 1930's. The short story is that the water table fluctuates wildly - something that architects didn't realize back in the 1800s and early 1900's when they were using timber pilings.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

`Nemesis posted:

Am I correct that the MMSD prevailed in the lawsuit about that? I couldn't remember.

The weirdest thing is they paid out to Boston Store for the store's settlement issues when the article from 1954 clearly states it had problems back then. I guess they figured they had some responsibility.

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2015/01/28/back-in-the-news-mmsd-settles-with-boston-store/

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

This support beam is getting in the way!

It looks like they did weld some small bar behind (highlighted in red) but most likely not enough to handle a decent floor loading.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

wolrah posted:

Relevant, this was a perfectly smooth, level, and uncracked patio before this last winter. I discovered it yesterday since the snow/ice finally melted away.

Not sure if this is a sign of being badly done or just bad luck with a nasty winter, but it doesn't seem like there's the stone I'd expect to find underneath the concrete so I'm leaning towards the former.

On the plus side, the sawn joints worked as god intended. On the negative side, it sure appears that a well drained stone base was not installed. Frost heave did that. When you put concrete on a poorly drained base (like dirt) then the moisture that the dirt holds will freeze and expand, generally upwards and gently caress up your concrete. This is a textbook example.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zhentar posted:

As opposed to the US, where that pretty much never happens.

What's wrong? Nothing.

edit: oh, you mean that...

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 13, 2015

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's the latest green standards for brown-water irrigation system. Totally legit and approved by LEED.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

Their house was condemned, forcing the couple to move out, but they refused to let the cliff have what was left of the home and the memories they may have shared inside, so they burned it down.

Yes, of course, that would be the only solution. They sure showed that cliff who was boss by burning the place down.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
It looks like there is a firewall between the left side and right side, probably two separate buildings.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

Crosspostin' some art from the schadenfreude thread
http://imgur.com/gallery/2R9Fz

Looks fake. I see no such button on the roller product images which means its after-market. With the light seeming to shine through the top of the yellow part of the button it look like it is plastic which would be destroyed if it hit a steel post at that angle.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Low speed or high speed would destroy anything plastic. Its pretty obvious from the picture that it wasn't articulating when it approached the pole. Still call fake - never saw an emergency shutoff like that on any construction equipment. About 90% of the pictures shown on Imgur are staged or have descriptions that are fake.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 15, 2016

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
You can see how great of a solution the existing changes are by the oil drips in the one spot in the driveway and the parking spot in the street. Hitting an oil pan multiple times on the concrete will gently caress up your car real quick.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
All the pictures of the house use photoshop to make it look weird. The realtor made all the vertical lines parallel which can gently caress up the perspective and in this case made the dormers look weirder than they are in real life. It looks like they probably are simply bedroom skylights camouflaged to look like dormers. Also used way too much HDR.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

If you have enough money to build an expensive mansion, why u no hire architect? These look like they hired a spiritual medium to channel a third-rate 19th century architect.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dave Barry books posted:

welp.

Mom's complaining that the neighbours are doing dodgy construction poo poo. I look at the photos she sent and there's a brick wall built right over where the fence used to be, there's workmen in the yard, working on the neighbours extension which goes up over the retaining wall, the fence is dumped on the ground, no one's been notified about any construction and someone's looking at huge rear end fines and tresspass?!

This is the time to reinstall the fence but make it higher so they can't open their loving windows.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

moist turtleneck posted:

are we just going to ignore the doorknob in the wall or

That's the holder for the dick rag. I like using a bidet when it is available. If I had room in my bathroom, I'd install one. Nothing like that fresh feeling after a quick bidet wash. Much more convenient than taking off all your clothes just to wash your butthole.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

You do know that you can install a butt washer into a normal toilet, right? We're living in the future here.

As little as a $40 for a basic model. https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-120-Non-Electric/dp/B00A0RHSJO

Or a few hundred for a model that does warm water and blow dries your butt for you. https://www.amazon.com/SmartBidet-SB-2000-Electronic-Temperature-Controlled/dp/B00GIODM6G

I would never poo poo in my shower. Combining a toilet and bidet in one unit sounds kind of disgusting.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

First heavy wind and that thing is going to violently rip away from the house or violently fall into the house. I wonder if the owner's insurance company knows about this addition?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Phanatic posted:

"To the right of the survey marker" depends on which direction you're facing, I guess.

It connects one military base with another. It appears that it is some sort of camouflage to fool the bombers. There actually is a bridge there crossing the river and the two roads line up perfectly. The bridge is painted so that from the air it looks like it doesn't exist. The connecting ramps don't really exist but are fakes.

There's some weird poo poo going on in that area:
https://goo.gl/maps/yhwbN42bThB2

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 28, 2017

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Pretty good fakes then, because it looks exactly like the thumbnail.

One of the connecting ramp bridges that doesn't exist

Obviously they paid Google to doctor the satellite images and insert a panorama where it doesn't actually exist.

Let Shaq explain it to you.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

The top flange of a beam is supposed to be continuous because it carries the compression from the load. Removing that flange will put all the compression loading on the web. In this case that web is just some not very strong waferboard which would fair very well in compression. The previous sub-flooring helped to transfer the load to the adjacent beams but it looks like he is doing some weird recessed tub that will create the worst kind of stresses. Keep in mind that the tub is in the center of the span which is where the stresses are at their largest. It's not only the tub loading but all dead and live loading on those beams that will be added.

The best slacker solution to avoid a filled tub with goon falling into a bedroom or living space on the lower floor is to put a post supporting the whole crazy DIY-shitfest from floor to ceiling directly under the tub. Maybe a load bearing wall? If the bed is directly under the tub, use a post hole digger to bore a hole in to the bed to make room for the post. Just be careful not to bore into the floor.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Several years of washed off ejaculate can build up into a krusty mess inside your pipes. I'm sure this shop vac can clean that stuff right up.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Imgur has some good ones occasionally.

http://imgur.com/a/adLKN

I was looking at this deck picture for the footings under the tower and didn't see anything:

Then there was this one where they basically screwed the framing for the tower to the garage on one side and the house on the other but only to the eaves of the house. And then plopped it right on the deck.

Any guesses as to the life span of this tower? I'm guessing the first spring wind storm will rip it from the house.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

brugroffil posted:

I'm hoping those posts are set in concrete, but I'm guessing that didn't happen. And why you'd frame grass on the inside of your garage rather than tearing it up and pouring a concrete pad first is baffling. I'm wondering if he has some weird patch of dirt or something along that wall of his garage now.

It looks like there is a concrete pad in the garage from another imgur gallery:

It's hard to see the details so its anyone's guess if he just poured the slab around the posts...

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
It is incomprehensible to have a pole barn garage bigger than a house unless you have a tractor and a herd of cows that need someplace to go.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm not going to doxx this guy but it appears that the car plates are from Indiana so the area definitely gets wind and rain.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

shortspecialbus posted:

OP removed the album of that tower house. Does anyone have the pictures still? I'm curious to see what it looked like, only a couple are left.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 25, 2017

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also, isn't that little pocket behind the archway just going to collect water when it rains? Where could a gutter fit in there that would lead the rain water away??

He did put rain gutters in place in some locations. You'll notice in the current pic of the house on the far right there is approximately 12 feet of gutters with a downspout at the last porch column. Obviously the cost of the tower was taken out of the gutter budget.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

What's with the hate for fake shutters? Obviously, the ones on this house are too small (as are the ones on most McMansions because it seems people love GIANT windows), but don't MOST homes have fake shutters?

Surely you don't suggest someone put REAL shutters on their house, do you? Unless you live in hurricane or tornado country, seems unnecessary.

And having nothing on the sides of the windows looks more out of place/"naked" to me than even the small, fake, shutters. I took a look at the houses in my block and they have either fake shutters, or nothing. The ones with nothing look worse.

So what is one supposed to put on the side of their windows? :confused:

If it's a colonial style house, yes put shutters on them. If you have money to burn then put real shutters on them. The cost for real functional shutters isn't much. If you are putting plastic Menards glue-on shutters or even crappy painted pallets then your house can look no worse than if you left them off. FWIW, colonial-style homes are poo poo. The style of this house is a saltbox-style bungalow. The original saltbox homes sometimes had shutters and sometimes didn't. Bungalows never had shutters.

Functional shutters on a colonial-style house.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 26, 2017

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

You guys think that is a master bedroom for a couple but in reality it is a shared bedroom that can fit about 6 bunkbeds and at least a dozen people. Of course it needs three bathrooms.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

I think this goes beyond Fix it Fast, but the shed post reminded me of my own thing so I'm gonna post here instead in hopes of avoiding having to post here again later.

I want to add a roof over the side slab on my pole barn. Here's what I'm working with:

My current plan is to put a few posts along the edge of the slab there, run a header across them, and then attach trusses to the side of the barn and sitting on the header, in order to act as a horizontal tie and a sloped structure for the roof. Not a steep slope, just enough to shed water. I'm not worried about getting very much snow load. It could happen, but a slick metal roof should shed relatively well even with a minimal grade.

The guy that laid the slab said that side slab would probably move up and down, so my posts shouldn't sit on the slab itself, since that'd make the thing want to tear itself apart. So I'm going to get an auger and bore down about four feet in the dirt right next to the slab, put a foot of gravel in the bottom, drop a treated post in, and back fill with concrete.

That side slab is 10' wide, and the roofed portion will be 26' long. I expect the roof to meet the barn right under the soffit there, while leaving the vents exposed, so not a smooth continuation of the existing roof, there'll be a step. I intend to run a gutter along the edge of the new roofline so as to not wash away my dirt there.

Anyhow, am I more or less on target here? Any glaring issues? Also, how best to attach the truss to the side of the barn? There are 6x6 posts inside every 8', but I'm looking for specifics. Also, I don't think I need to actually seal up the seam of the new roof to be watertight where it meets the wall, since it'll be right under the soffit anyhow and this isn't going to be considered an "inside" space, but it'd be nice if I could more or less seal it up, which I'm not sure how to approach on account of the corrugated metal siding. Any ideas there? Just globbing the seam full of caulk seems pretty dumb as those corrugations are like an inch deep, but it's about all I've come up with so far.

I'd not bother to tie any roof into the garage. Just cantilever your roof off the posts you build off the slab. Just google "cantilevered carport roof" and you'll see a ton of examples.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dillbag posted:

Did the Brady Bunch run a Victorian brothel, or did the home owners find possibly the worst home stager on the planet, who also happened time traveller?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/29-Avon-Rd_Springfield_NJ_07081_M63946-56229#photo0

Do you think my house looks like funny? Funny how? Is it funny like a clown? Does it amuse you? How the gently caress is it funny?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

BraveUlysses posted:

did this get posted already? saw it over in the BWM thread

http://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

bought a crackhouse, interior unseen by wife until purchase was completed

cheaped out on contractor, burned through 100k on his mistakes

gets bailed out by rich family member giving them a loan when no banks would

The worst part of it is that the house, at least on the outside is a good historic home. I'm one of the purists who recognize the needs of maintaining the historic integrity of this kind of unique home. You don't do that by adding modern lighting, built-ins, flooring, sliding doors onto a treated lumber porch, vinyl-loving windows, etc. You maintain the integrity by trying to find period matching fixtures and try to bring the house back to its original state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Phanatic posted:

Why is that a need? Lots of things about old homes suck. The people who are living in a space get to make that space one they feel comfortable in, they shouldn't be beholden to a bunch of dead people.

Lots of things about old houses work better than newer materials and techniques. But the basic thing is there is value in authenticity You don't want to rip out materials from an old house from hard-woods that cannot be found anymore and replace it with Menard's pine.