Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This idol girl is 1000% Yuri. It's not even a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gologle posted:

Are you ready to board the HELL TRAIN???

I really, really do not want to board the hell train again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: added a spoiler tag because it's not clear to me what the policy is in this thread

Nate RFB posted:

I personally feel the start of season 2 up to a point (where Bam gets the thorn and permanently reunites with Khun and his other teammates) is kind of rough for those exact reasons, too many new folks to keep track of and it hurts to not have the crew together or at least understand the dynamics of how things are going to shake out in the story. After that it settled into a groove that for the most part it's kept up throughout IMO.

I am actually of the apparently unpopular opinion that team tangsooyook is better and more interesting than the starting team. I miss Prince; I liked him a lot.

In general, part of what I like about ToG (and also HxH) is that every arc introduces a bunch of completely new characters and a completely new setting. Most series aren't brave enough to do this; ToG and HxH are the only examples I can think of that do it to such an extent. While it can be a shame separating from characters, I think meeting new characters (and being able to give them focus) more than makes up for it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rachel's a terrible person but every major character in Tower of God either has authentic and understandable reasons for their behavior in their backstory (even if they're a total psychopath), or has a bunch of hints pointing to a backstory that we just don't know about yet.

I don't think Rachel will ever be "redeemed" in the sense that it's going to turn out she was doing the right thing all along, but I expect that source of her selfishness and manipulative personality will make every bit as much sense as, say, Khun's paranoia.

I think the only thing Rachel ever did that seemed to go "too far" into pointless cruelty was when she ruined that guy's legs. Otherwise she isn't a particularly bad person as far as Regulars go; many of Baam's friends would be just as fine with killing random folks. And it seems like Rachel has her own friends (it's always seemed like her friendship with the idol briefcase girl is pretty genuine).

I also like the idea of something relatively petty (like wanting to be the important character and feeling hate towards someone who is lucky enough to be an extremely gifted "chosen one") being a character's motive. It's understandable, and for the most part she's doing what she has to do if she wants to both 1. climb the Tower and 2. not do it on Baam's coat-tails.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Team Tangsooyook a lot actually, I think they too come more into their own as time goes on (and then are more or less tragically cut down or scattered to the wind when Prince and Akraptor died and Wangnan had to join up with Rachel).

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

Nate RFB posted:

I like Team Tangsooyook a lot actually, I think they too come more into their own as time goes on (and then are more or less tragically cut down or scattered to the wind when Prince and Akraptor died and Wangnan had to join up with Rachel).

Oh man I forgot he died. I Remember reading about that mystery lady that came with Ghost and Gang to the cage might have been his daughter and that fact might have slipped my mind.

Also can't wait for Team and sweet and sour in the anime.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

This idol girl is 1000% Yuri. It's not even a question.

After finally getting some internal thoughts from her I'm feeling much less sure about this

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I will not spoil anything but you will get your Yuri fix sooner than later based on where your reading seems to be at.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I will not spoil anything but you will get your Yuri fix sooner than later based on where your reading seems to be at.

You know that part is FF7 where you either take the elevator or manually climb up 70 floors of stairs?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

You know that part is FF7 where you either take the elevator or manually climb up 70 floors of stairs?

Oh yes. That is the worst part. It's a lot better on a binge read but the preamble to the Hell Train is abysmal. The Hell Train itself is actually pretty great.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
I actually just stopped reading for a year or so just before the Hell Train and just jumped back in a bit before the Floor of Death. Never went back, I probably missed some stuff, but it's not like White's whole deal is hard to pick up on from context, for example.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sorry for spoilers

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 8, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Edit for the edit

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 8, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Oh yes. That is the worst part. It's a lot better on a binge read but the preamble to the Hell Train is abysmal. The Hell Train itself is actually pretty great.

Whoever translated this part is not that great. They've been censoring any swears by the character (a$$, sh*t) and using a really awkward sentence structure and unusual terminology ("the place that the elevator goes" instead of "elevator shaft")

The new teammates are barely even characters. I don't think we've had any character exposition or development on them. All in all this has been a really bad chunk of the story.

Also I've just gotten to the point where we get Rachel push 2.0 and I literally rolled my eyes.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 8, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

That happens after Floor of Death

Oh gently caress sorry for the spoilers tben I'll edit it out

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Whoever translated this part is not that great. They've been censoring any swears by the character (a$$, sh*t) and using a really awkward sentence structure and unusual terminology ("the place that the elevator goes" instead of "elevator shaft")

The new teammates are barely even characters. I don't think we've had any character exposition or development on them. All in all this has been a really bad chunk of the story.

Also I've just gotten to the point where we get Rachel push 2.0 and I literally rolled my eyes.

The second push was honestly hilarious to me. But at least it's Baam actually staking a goal even if he really leans into those crazy stalker vibes right then.

But now that you're in the Hell Train proper the Baam v Rachel stuff really comes to a head.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The confrontation at the end of Hell Train after Rachel "kills" Khun is probably my favorite scene of the relationship, just completely raw with no one coming out of it looking that good.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm feeling like the prequel tests we're all significantly better than any that have taken place since then. The early tests all demonstrated and expanded on character traits for the main cast. The timed door one is probably the best example where it demonstrates that Khun overthinks things while Rak is decisive with his choices, it's because of these character traits that their team was able to pass. Pretty much all of the exams since the prequel have been just a mess. They've either changed the rules halfway through completely forgotten about the test and it hasn't really demonstrated any real character traits or caused growth in the characters. The only time we get any character development is really within the interstitials between the tests or events that take place outside of the test environment while the test is going on. Which makes them feel like they aren't really an integrated part of the story.

I can remember every single test that took place in the prequels but since then they all just kind of blend together because they don't matter that much anymore.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I dunno I thought the Workshop Battles did the test stuff as good or better than the rest. Tied the story right into the test very well.

Testing does become less important as it becomes about the politics and the world rather than just climbing. At this point climbing is a foregone conclusion to our cast as they're all the best of the best of of their peers on whatever floor they are.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

I actually just stopped reading for a year or so just before the Hell Train and just jumped back in a bit before the Floor of Death. Never went back, I probably missed some stuff, but it's not like White's whole deal is hard to pick up on from context, for example.

Yeah same here, I archive binged in 2014ish (which I think is hell train), then lost interest in keeping up with dailies.

I've reread season 1 but s2 is pretty rough (the cast and games are less interesting - the room game was particularly bad), and the setting stuff gets a lot bleaker with the workshop and fug both being introduced as massive child murderers. Do the games get better / does it get more of the season 1 tonal balance?

Also do we ever get any context for this bam flashback from s1?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 9, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I dunno I thought the Workshop Battles did the test stuff as good or better than the rest. Tied the story right into the test very well.

Testing does become less important as it becomes about the politics and the world rather than just climbing. At this point climbing is a foregone conclusion to our cast as they're all the best of the best of of their peers on whatever floor they are.

I could see testing coming up if Bam is forced to take the test from an administrator again. Otherwise it would mostly be about the politics around fairness of testing when the person taking the test is at war with Jahad. But technically that's every slayer candidate...

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Tunicate posted:

Yeah same here, I archive binged in 2014ish (which I think is hell train), then lost interest in keeping up with dailies.

I've reread season 1 but s2 is pretty rough (the cast and games are less interesting - the room game was particularly bad), and the setting stuff gets a lot bleaker with the workshop and fug both being introduced as massive child murderers. Do the games get better / does it get more of the season 1 tonal balance?

Also do we ever get any context for this bam flashback from s1?

I think that image is just something Bam imagined if I remember correctly.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I really enjoyed following the anime, and decided to check out the webtoon.
That was one of the most frustrating things I have ever read. Season 1 was great--the anime benefited from the revisions but it was still an excellent read.
Season 2 though...I got up to about chapter 140 overall until I had to admit to myself it was never going to be fun for me.
Season 1 assembled a great cast of memorable characters who interacted really well with each other, tied together by an interesting protagonist whose more innocent perspective contrasted with the dark setting. Season 2 immediately discarded all the things I liked. I gave it about 70 chapters but man, it's just so grim and unfun, and the new characters did absolutely nothing for me. It just felt like a huge waste of everything built in season 1.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

I really enjoyed following the anime, and decided to check out the webtoon.
That was one of the most frustrating things I have ever read. Season 1 was great--the anime benefited from the revisions but it was still an excellent read.
Season 2 though...I got up to about chapter 140 overall until I had to admit to myself it was never going to be fun for me.
Season 1 assembled a great cast of memorable characters who interacted really well with each other, tied together by an interesting protagonist whose more innocent perspective contrasted with the dark setting. Season 2 immediately discarded all the things I liked. I gave it about 70 chapters but man, it's just so grim and unfun, and the new characters did absolutely nothing for me. It just felt like a huge waste of everything built in season 1.

I'm kind of in the same boat personally. If Rachel had just pushed bam off of the platform in season one and he had actually died right there, series over, it would have been a better story as of season 2 episode 153.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Season 1 and especially the anime adaptation were just really tightly plotted and had plenty of forward momentum. I actually like the new characters introduced in Season 2 and the idea of this sprawling cast of characters who drop in and drop out is interesting to me personally, but season 2 could definitely have used some tightening up.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I just wanted to drop in to say: I just finished reading the last chapter, I discovered Tower of God like 20 days ago.
What a ride.

One thing about Rachel, after the hidden floor. She immediatly reacts about her looks. Did anyone else feel that was some kind of foreshadowing about why she despises her looks - probably having something to do with Arlene and V? She blurbs something about Arlene herself, after getting all sulky, before the confrontation with Rak and Baam.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Hadn't thought of that, I just figured it's a manifestation of her inferiority complex.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I love season 2

Char
Jan 5, 2013

hitze posted:

I love season 2

Same. Ran is hype.

Hell Train final parts: there was a bit I loved at the last station: guards round up the train, they look for a ticketer to open the doors and storm in - door suddenly opens... whoa there's a slayer! A couple of instants later, same situation - door suddenly opens... whoa there's another slayer! Then the slayer candidate appears, and a couple princesses as well :getin:
Makes you understand why "kill everyone on the train" was one of the three orders, on par with "eradicate FUG" or "eradicate one of the 10 families".

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
It reminded me of the elevators in Cabin in the Woods, where a different monster popped out each time.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Well this is bad news...

https://twitter.com/ToGManhwa/status/1307771412606836743?s=19

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well poo poo

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Gosu came back from cancer after more than a year so there's always a chance.

Hope SIU feels better whether he picks ToG back up or not.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Based on the little bit that's translated

quote:

"It would be great if the moment came when the work and I became happy. In fact, the sense of accomplishment was very low due to various problems before the break. Lots of things going on"

It sounds like at least some part of it is depression and I really hope everything goes well

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
RIP this series. At least it had an amazing season of an anime and a pretty solid first chapter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's been on hiatus for a couple months. berserk readers wait longer than this between chapters and don't even notice anything out of the ordinary :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No point in working on something if it isn't making you happy. Hope he's able to feel better and get any help he might need.

E: The blog got translated on reddit, and SIU really opens up about a lot of his thoughts and stresses about being on a needed break but being so anxious about being on break that he's not actually getting better. I think it paints a more overall optimistic portrait than the tweet but it's still pretty heavy.

quote:

​Since I don't get paid for my uploads while on hiatus, and I do need to pay my assistants to maintain the studio, so there's that pressure that's been becoming more suffocating, and I thought that if I started uploading soon, I thought I would be pushing my still aching body and mind to the limits, so I had this sense that I wanted to come back with as much chapters as possible, which makes it harder to rest. Sometimes I think these days whether I live to upload or if I upload to live.​
Adults tell me that your body is your wealth, and I think I've used a lot of it up. So I've been living day by day, hoping to rest tomorrow. I want to protect what's left of my already largely-spent resources. So my goal tomorrow is to rest as well. If I don't get to rest, I am not achieving my goal.
​Above all else, I'm always sorry for all of you guys waiting on the work. I feel like I'm always falling short as an author. I don't know how much longer it will take, but I'll rest well, and I will come back when I'm ready and the time is right. ​
​​As the fall cools, keep yourselves healthy, and I hope you guys have good weeks coming. I hope this word can give you guys a peace of mind in waiting for my return. I will try to spend the week with a peace of mind as well.
​I always hope that you, my readers, are happy.
When we know when I'm coming back or if there's some other good news, I'll be sure to post another notice.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 21, 2020

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Depression is rough.

I just hope SIU does the best for themselves.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/ToGManhwa/status/1318164982610186243?s=19

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

That is way, way, WAY earlier than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Here's hoping he's rested enough and recovered some joy for his work.