Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Blind Eye posted:

This whole chapter can be summarized in a single phrase: THAT BITCH

I pray Baam is alive. I pray that this is when he disides to storm this place like a irregular should.

Gurren Laggen style. :kamina:

Same. Baam has been entirely too normal for an irregular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think the way his influence spreads like an unstoppable virus is at least a little off-putting.

Elemennop posted:

koon is the real protagonist anyways

I pretty much agree with you, although Anak has had a lot of development too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Baam tried to make friends. He really hasn't done anything to earn this level of loyalty.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I'm really uncertain about where this is going. Given how it went down I'm not sure I want to read the continuing adventures of the things Lahel Doesn't Deserve.

Isn't Lahel a Regular, also?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm expecting this to be the catalyst that causes Baam to go crazy and gently caress poo poo up like all of the other irregulars. Especially now that one of the previous irregulars and highest rankers with an organisation that opposes Zahard wants to meet him

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Same. Baam has been entirely too normal for an irregular.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think the way his influence spreads like an unstoppable virus is at least a little off-putting.

See, there's you answer. The an irregular, and he's going to gently caress poo poo up. In fact, he already started to, like, 40 chapters ago. Instead of riling up everyone against him, bringing destruction and oppression by sheer force, he's doing it by converting people to his side.
Hell, he's already friends with a soon-to-be Princess of Zahard (and actually a current one since the beginning... she gave him a blessed weapon, ffs), direct members of the ruling class and structure.

He can bring the whole system down by letting these people fight among each other and not even lift a finger. How's that for power.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mad Fnorder posted:

Isn't Lahel a Regular, also?

We don't know for sure, but given the scene where she gets taken into the tower I'd say it's pretty likely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
However, it is also possible that every character becoming slavishly loyal to Baam is just poor writing. Too soon to tell, really.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It would be pretty funny if Lahel really is the good guy here, and she did that to escape his insidious mind control and creepy obsession with her.

(It's probably just his Protagonist Field though.)

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 19, 2011

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

Serious Frolicking posted:

However, it is also possible that every character becoming slavishly loyal to Baam is just poor writing. Too soon to tell, really.

yeah, i'm pretty sure it's just this. standard power of friendship stuff you see in every shonen comic.

otoh, if it turns out that the "power of friendship" for Baam was a passive form of mind control, that would be kind of interesting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd say it makes more sense than normal. He spent pretty much his entire life in some pit alone then met Lahel. Now he has met lots of other people so wants some friends whereas they have all been around people before

The Blind Eye
Dec 12, 2011

As a man who has three younger sisters I must say I have never laughed so nervously at a cartoon before. That said it turned to hysterics when the music started, oh God this is hilarious.I love anime I love you Japan. I'm sorry I doubted this season. I love you Shinbo and Nisio Isin and ADTRW.
In a world as half empty as the tower, it seemed that baam's level of empathy is a rarity. Some people just want someone to let their guard down around.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://www.mangareader.net/tower-of-god/76/2

Wow. That was quite an interesting chapter.
Still makes me think Lahel's a bitch.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Nahxela posted:

http://www.mangareader.net/tower-of-god/76/2

Wow. That was quite an interesting chapter.
Still makes me think Lahel's a bitch.

Yeah I can't get a read on her. If she wants to go to the top then why doesn't she want Baam to come with her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So is Baam really a regular, then? Lahel was not expected, but he was.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I think Lahel stole Baam's ride into the tower, so she didn't open the door herself. Baam was welcomed in, but still had to open the door on his own. This makes them each a strange variation on regular/irregular. I guess it depends on if that status comes from opening the door yourself, or if it's a matter of being welcomed by the guardian.

I wonder if Lahel specifically sought out Baam because she knew the door would open for him.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah I think Baam's still an irregular since he entered the tower himself. I remember in earlier chapters it showed that dude from the first floor actually leaving that tower and going to where people lived to pull in regulars.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Also apparently her name was actually Rachel this whole time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeeeeah, that part I'm confused by. Was it a translation issue? Retcon? Twist?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Pretty sure it was just the name being transcribed into Korean then transliterated back into English. It's not really unusual for the official version of non-Japanese/Korean names to end up fairly different from fan translations' best guesses.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If it was just that I wouldn't be confused. But earlier it was said that the name she gave to the Rankers was Rachel Light(like she was using an alias) but Baam still called her Lahel. Not sure if that was just the translators still deciding whether to use Rachel or what. It doesn't make sense she'd call herself by her real name then tell Baam "Nah I have the same name and look the same as the person you know but I'm not her".

I wonder if any other names will change now though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cbouncerrun posted:

If it was just that I wouldn't be confused. But earlier it was said that the name she gave to the Rankers was Rachel Light but Baam still called her Lahel. Not sure if that was just the translators still deciding whether to use Rachel or what.

I wonder if any other names will change now though.

Michelle Light. not Rachel Light.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ah, alright then. This makes a whole lot more sense to me now.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Cbouncerrun posted:

Yeeeeah, that part I'm confused by. Was it a translation issue? Retcon? Twist?

It was a translation/transliteration issue. If you like you could consider it a retcon by the translation team. It's not part of the story.

EDIT: Beaten.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Lol, found this comic last week, didn't realize until now that the scanslation blurb has a link to the raws so I can just read the raws straight.

I understand why the team decided to rename her Rachel, or rather, went with Lahel in the beginning. It's very difficult to distinguish between ra and la sounds in Korean, but more than that, it's a very odd pronunciation of Rachel. Instead of "ray-CHull", it's a bastardized, softer version of "ra-SHELL" or Rachelle. (trying to use SH sounds in written Korean is loving murderous, bordering on impossible) Purely phonetically, it's written in Korean as Lahell (or Lahel, as they went with before). So the author's use of Rachel aside, her name is really Rachelle as everyone pronounces it in the comic. Or you can pretend that Lahel is a weird, alternate universe pronunciation of Rachel.

Or you can forget all that and call her blonde bitch.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

pnumoman posted:

No thanks!

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
next chapter just came out 30 minutes ago

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/67045/tower-of-god_ch77_by_the-company

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

The Holy Queef posted:

next chapter just came out 30 minutes ago

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/67045/tower-of-god_ch77_by_the-company

Let's be honest, this is a pretty apt description of her:

pnumoman posted:

But it's still an interesting turn of events! I'm enjoying it.

The Blind Eye
Dec 12, 2011

As a man who has three younger sisters I must say I have never laughed so nervously at a cartoon before. That said it turned to hysterics when the music started, oh God this is hilarious.I love anime I love you Japan. I'm sorry I doubted this season. I love you Shinbo and Nisio Isin and ADTRW.
So Question: When she said Night the original script could have also read Baam?

Interest is hitting critical mass here. I NEED the next chapter NOW!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The Blind Eye posted:

So Question: When she said Night the original script could have also read Baam?

Interest is hitting critical mass here. I NEED the next chapter NOW!

Yes. Baam and night are the same word in Korean. When Rachel says she's afraid, it is ambiguous as to whether she means Baam or the night. Kinda the whole point of his name; baam in Korean means either night or chestnut so unless I missed something, I see his name as Night, not Baam, and certainly not Chestnut.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 26, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Oh yeah, his full name is "25th Baam," and I think I remember a TN note that it was like he was named after a day of the month or something.

That may only be an aesthetic connection to the 13 month series, though, since I believe Rachelle named him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

His name could be a Christmas reference of some kind.

He could also possibly be the December weapon from the 13 month series, although I think this is highly unlikely at this point.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Interesting theory, considering the princess that held the December weapon was sealed away after she went berserk.

The Blind Eye
Dec 12, 2011

Cbouncerrun posted:

Interesting theory, considering the princess that held the December weapon was sealed away after she went berserk.

:stare: Well seeing that Black Marsh had a girl/spirit thingy inside it. That might not be totally far fetched. Depending on what sort of weapon she used.

Edit: i just realized, we are reading about a guy named night chacing after a girl looking for the stars.

The Blind Eye fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 27, 2011

TheJazzMess
Jan 14, 2008

by angerbeet
This comic is amazing. Yeah the author seems to not be too sure about where to take some the story, but it doesn't matter because the world and characters are extremely interesting. Someone should make a thread about this over at BSS. More people should read this!

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Chapter 78 is up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does this mean coffee dude has been a good guy this whole time? Or maybe he's just not aligned with Zahard.

Also there is definitely going to be a timeskip.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

TheJazzMess posted:

This comic is amazing. Yeah the author seems to not be too sure about where to take some the story, but it doesn't matter because the world and characters are extremely interesting. Someone should make a thread about this over at BSS. More people should read this!

:science: Well it is a Webcomic, so maybe it would be good. :science:

I Suspect Yu was speaking to Headon. After all when speaking to Rachel he seemed pleased that Baam was entering the tower, I think this has all been an elaborate trick to hide Baam from Zahards minions. Rachel did it to save him.

gatdamn tags.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

AtomikKrab posted:

:science: Well it is a Webcomic, so maybe it would be good. :science:

I Suspect Yu was speaking to Headon. After all when speaking to Rachel he seemed pleased that Baam was entering the tower, I think this has all been an elaborate trick to hide Baam from Zahards minions. Rachel did it to save him.

gatdamn tags.

I agree that he was talking to Headon, since no one else knew about the guide. I don't really agree that Rachel did it to save him, it looks to me like she really thought she'd killed him. I don't think Headon would want Rachel to know the full extent of his plans for Baam, as she'd be a gigantic loose end. To Headon, it's probably best that as few people know about Baam as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I think they're just using Rachel, she had no idea about the plan. She thought she was killing Baam when she pushed him.

As for who Yu is talking to, I think it's either Headon or Urek Mazino, the leader of the Wing Tree Organization

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 6, 2012