Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Sweet. Hopefully Siu doesn't get writers block like Miura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sadly it seems like a HunterXHunter situation is more likely.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ethiser posted:

Just wait until you read the next chapter lol

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ethiser posted:

Is SIU that big of a dragon quest fan?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Generally speaking a good finale. I think the Headon/Rachel scenes work a bit better in the comic at least, I think it did a better job there of showing that Bam was who Headon was really waiting for and how his approach to the test (that he even attempted it at all) was why he was getting the hero treatment and Rachel did not. Also didn't include the scene where it's revealed that the reason everyone passed is that Bam asked the Guardian explicitly that if Rachel lived and he died that they'd still move on which I think was a nice scene. I wonder how many people will realize long haired Viole is Bam at the end there.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I think the anime actually handled the Rachel perspective way better than SIU did. SIU has some weaknesses in his early writing and the characterization for Rachel, while mysterious, was weak early on and I think this was a much better look. There's maybe some things that are mildly contradictory to later source material but, eh, I still liked having essentially a full Rachel episode.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think I mostly just really like the shot where Bam runs into the pool and Headon sneers, which happened at the start of the story but is now revealed to be him sneering at Rachel specifically.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah I wish they would've focused a bit more on that juxtaposition. That it was all a show for Rachel, to show how Bam is special and she is not. Though I suppose we got that sense from her anyhow.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, they also neglected to mention that Lo Po Bia Ren is still alive since the sheep costume was just a dummy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Was "mask cleaver guy was a second life for Rachel" thing new in the anime? Didn't he pop up again in the comic eventually?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Theres so little we know about him that theres a lot of room to do whatever. And yea he showed up in the cage just a few months ago.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

Was "mask cleaver guy was a second life for Rachel" thing new in the anime? Didn't he pop up again in the comic eventually?

Its just referred to as a gift from headon in the comic.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm just starting to read the webtoon now that the anime is over, and I want to just say gently caress Rachel.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So I finally got around to watching the last episode just now, I couldn't yesterday because I was too busy. Honestly, I really liked where and how they ended it. I think they actually did a better job with explaining Rachel's feelings in this one episode than the webtoon has done in its entirety. It's clear in the anime that Rachel did care for Bam in a way, but she also hated him because she's a jealous weak girl who wants to be the protagonist and has to watch this guy, who doesn't even want it, be it. In the end, she let that hate and jealousy consume her.

But boy my favorite loving thing in that episode was the small chat Khun and her had, because even the anime only watchers have to know, they just loving know that Khun absolutely knows she killed Bam (to his eyes at that point) and he's out for revenge. Waiting until the parts where Khun just loving dunks on Rachel over and over so I can relive it in animated form is going to be torturous but so so worth it.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im crawling out of my lockdown cave and started to reread the series where I left off....season 2 ep 288. Yeah Im pretty sure the thread is far past that.

But I have a hermit theory from spending all this time talking to my cat: The tower is a parasite.

The tower has pulled in many, many armies before Jahad. Everyone who dies in the tower, their soul is consumed by said tower adding to its power. Jahad and his group were the first to really upset that as they kept going up and up, making the tower waste more and more of its energy on trying to stop them. Jahad was given lordship in the tower as a compromise, a king of pigs if you will. While Jahad, and other rankers are gifted power (immortality, use of shinsu) this is a minor dip in the well of souls the tower eats. If anything the establishment of an entire society only helps the Tower(parasite) as its like if a pitcher plant started a colony of ants within it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You'll get enough of an answer to that with where we currently are imo without me spoiling anything

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-68/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=486

Someone's sure hard to please.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Evankhell is putting on her biker clothes... this must mean she is getting serious!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
note at the end says SIU is taking a break for health reasons

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I didn't think it was possible but Evankhell got even cooler.

She needs to stop raising death flags. :ohdear:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sindai posted:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

drat, did not realize I'd missed a chapter and that Augusgus was here much less that he's also a slayer in FUG. That was more surprising than kallavan temporarily joining the Baam brigade.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sindai posted:

She needs to stop raising death flags. :ohdear:
I feel like you can't give someone like Evankhell a cool biker look and just have them get yeeted out of the story permanently, at least not for a while. You gotta milk it!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I believe Augusgus being a Slayer is a new reveal. Or it could also be a mistranslation, since it's not like the webtoon translation is all that great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

There are 4 slayers there already so it could just be awkward phrasing since yeah the translations aren't great

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Hwaryun constantly dunking on everyone, especially Baam will never not be funny.

Hopefully SIU'll a full recovery this time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm working my way through the webtoon and man there's too many characters. I'm up to season 2 chapter 90 and there have to be like 30 characters that the author is expecting me to keep track of. Someone told me that there was apparently another irregular that was encountered on this floor but I completely missed it because everyone just fades into the background as noise because I really can't be assed to care about 30 different characters.

I really have not been a fan of tossing the original party entirely aside and barely following them for a good 50 chapters in season 2. I care somewhat about Bam's new group but aside from them pretty much every character I just can't give two shits about because they're so disposable.

Khun's entire party save one was killed off screen and I haven't really been keeping track of whether that guy has even stuck around since then. I don't think I remember seeing him since. It's not really well organized in a way to make me care or make it even easy to follow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it consolidates a bit soon and I don't think its that long before you see most of the old cast again

The guy with Mazino on his back was an irregular and the most recent one to climb the tower. He's the one who gave Yuri the thing she wanted to give to Bam at the end of the anime

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I personally feel the start of season 2 up to a point (where Bam gets the thorn and permanently reunites with Khun and his other teammates) is kind of rough for those exact reasons, too many new folks to keep track of and it hurts to not have the crew together or at least understand the dynamics of how things are going to shake out in the story. After that it settled into a groove that for the most part it's kept up throughout IMO.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The blog posts and other stuff around the series provided enough information that when you see the name on his back you're supposed to think "holy poo poo" and also "what sort of wanker has their name tattooed on their back?"

Back reading this when it was contemporary it was fine because the wiki had no spoilers just all the various blog post information but obviously tahts not possible now and the official translations never bother with the blog posts which sucks

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jose posted:

The blog posts and other stuff around the series provided enough information that when you see the name on his back you're supposed to think "holy poo poo" and also "what sort of wanker has their name tattooed on their back?"

Back reading this when it was contemporary it was fine because the wiki had no spoilers just all the various blog post information but obviously tahts not possible now and the official translations never bother with the blog posts which sucks

Then you meet Urek and learn just what kind of a tremendous dork he is

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Jose posted:

it consolidates a bit soon and I don't think its that long before you see most of the old cast again

The guy with Mazino on his back was an irregular and the most recent one to climb the tower. He's the one who gave Yuri the thing she wanted to give to Bam at the end of the anime

Yeah, the person I was talking to was shocked that I didn't recognize Mazino. They said they were someone who appeared in chapter 1 of season 1. I was just thinking why would I remember someone from 160 chapters ago who was mentioned in passing, and not even mention it all in the anime as far as I remember.

All that was conveyed to me at this point was this is a dumb surfer dude who's got his own name tattooed on his back. Not that he was some guy of importance to the overall storyline.

I assume this will be covered at some point but I'm also kind of confused as to why Bam hasn't immediately asked all of his old teammates to take off the rings that they were gifted. He was told that these were how they were being tracked by the assassins. But he's encountered his old teammates several times and interacted with them and failed to tell them about this incredible danger to their lives.I could see it if he was encountering people who didn't know that he was who he is. But he's encountered at least three people who know that he's Bam.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, the person I was talking to was shocked that I didn't recognize Mazino. They said they were someone who appeared in chapter 1 of season 1. I was just thinking why would I remember someone from 160 chapters ago who was mentioned in passing, and not even mention it all in the anime as far as I remember.

All that was conveyed to me at this point was this is a dumb surfer dude who's got his own name tattooed on his back. Not that he was some guy of importance to the overall storyline.

I assume this will be covered at some point but I'm also kind of confused as to why Bam hasn't immediately asked all of his old teammates to take off the rings that they were gifted. He was told that these were how they were being tracked by the assassins. But he's encountered his old teammates several times and interacted with them and failed to tell them about this incredible danger to their lives.I could see it if he was encountering people who didn't know that he was who he is. But he's encountered at least three people who know that he's Bam.

Uh... you think they wouldn't know if they took off the rings and kept them off?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think you just see his back (and tattoo) in season 1 when they are talking about the significance of Irregulars.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

There is also a whole bunch of info about major characters such as Mazino that is on the authors notes that get posted with each chapter. These used to get translated in the pre-Webtoon days, but are harder to find now

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Nitrousoxide posted:

They're being used as unwitting hostages to keep Bam in line. If Bam stops being in line (by telling them to take off the rings, for example) the assassins will come. Regulars don't have many options to hide forever, none if they still want to advance floors and they have to take tests.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I’m surprised that the fanart for tog has more than khunxbam ships and princesses in various states of undress.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lochstep/status/1275101111263940608

This is so wholesome.
I understand people being put of by the start of second season, but for me it is one of the best managed transitions of this kind ( all new characters team).
Even ran, the killua-clone, is cool, especially his dynamic with nobic.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah I always thought ToG did the timeskip trope pretty well. Viole's entire reclusive, self loathing, evil persona with a bunch of friendly dorks was great. None of that change and none of his struggle matters if he immediately catches back up to his friends. The build up makes the Workshop arc one of my favorite because of it.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 30, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm starting off the murder train arc and Hwa Ryun is really growing into one of my favorite characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Are you ready to board the HELL TRAIN???