Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I kinda liked this story at first when it was a esoteric series of tests that person must pass, but I don't care for the ninja school stuff.

25th Baam implies that he's one in a series. Possibly a clone, or maybe experiment #25, or prisoner #25.

And the tower doesn't have windows? Why does Lahel have to climb to the top to see the stars? Can one leave the tower and live on other lands? Has anyone tried scaling the tower from the outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I think Lahel stole Baam's ride into the tower, so she didn't open the door herself. Baam was welcomed in, but still had to open the door on his own. This makes them each a strange variation on regular/irregular. I guess it depends on if that status comes from opening the door yourself, or if it's a matter of being welcomed by the guardian.

I wonder if Lahel specifically sought out Baam because she knew the door would open for him.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I think we're definitely being led to believe that the tower is a single physical entity with a literal top and bottom, its just that the scale of it is massive. I wish we could get more details about it's nature, and not just the political organization of it.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Screw Koon, a reunion with Gator would be the most glorious of all.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Nobody seems to know who he really is, if he kills a ranker and it comes out that he's an irregular then poo poo's gonna get real.

Also remember that he's special among irregulars in that he was chosen, but wound up having to open the doors himself. I wonder if he was chosen by the guardians for the purpose of overthrowing Zahard.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
It's funny to think back about Black March, because at the beginning of the series I really thought she was going to be Baam's sidekick throughout his whole adventure through the tower.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
So is the area Baam lived in outside the tower? If so, that means that Rachel found a way to get out of the tower, and to her dumb luck it was underground where she couldn't see the stars. Isn't Wingtree trying to find a way out of the tower?

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
The chapter notes hint that the pig has some notable identity. Possibly it could be the guardian? It could provide a way for Baam to take a different test.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Maybe she is one of the persona's contained in a weapon, like the sword Baam had in his first test.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

RatHat posted:

From what I understand they're just going to put his soul into the thorn, then have something else use it.

This is how I interpreted it too.

The thorn is a weapon, and Baam will be it's ignition, just like the girl inside the Black March. So when the thorn is activated you get the attack of an irregular, which should be capable of killing Zahard.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I think it would be funny if they actualy succeed in putting Baam into the thorn only to have it wind up bound to someone else, like Wangnan.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Gyges posted:

Kind of hoping it's Rachel under the mask there.

That would actually be kinda perfect, making it the second time Baam was chosen for something instead of her.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
ToG has always felt like an MMO game to me. You complete your challenge then move on to the next level. Lots of powerful people contending in a giant world to reach the top. Crazy items everywhere. No shortage of villains.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
From what I understand, there's really two meanings of "Climbing to the Top of the Tower" in this world.

One is where they really mean "Climbing up to where all of the high rankers have reached". Since status in society is determined based on your ranking (either classification within regulars or number as a ranker), the motivations to do so are easy to understand and widespread. It's like completing another level of education moving into a fancier neighborhood, or getting that job promotion.

The other meaning is more literal, in that they want to reach the actual top of the tower. It seems nobody knows for sure what's at the top, but many believe a number of things such as enlightenment, getting wishes granted, etc. Rachel told Baam she wants to see the stars (but I suppose that could have been a nice lie). Anyone who believes something profound is at the top won't need much more motivation than that.

That being said, I do wish they would say more about character motivations. The explanation isn't needed but would be welcomed.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Fortunately its been inducated that he wont factor into the story, hes really just part of the background and history. Some of the other irregulars might play a role though.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I think his immortality works on the principal that he ultimately controls all the shinshoo contracts for regulars. Presumably theyd either lose their contract or maybe the guardian of that floor would be required to step in.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Simstim posted:

I think Rachel is going to betray Hoaqin because he is not the teammate she was hoping he'd be.

I get this feeling too. It might even be that she wants to atone for hurting Baam, and maybe we will learn something that makes her slightly sympathetic. We know a discussion about her and Baam's past has been foreshadowed.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Coffee Mugshot posted:

So uh how is Wangnan supposed to be Karaka's brother? I feel like I missed this plot completely.

Wangnan has the same ring, thats where Baam saw it before. The whole thing about Karaka having a brother with that ring is a new reveal.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Isnt the blue thing the lump of souls he got from a part of White? Is admin power a bunch of stolen souls?

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I always imagined that the 10 great warriors fought through a largely wild and untamed bunch of floors, but now we learn that the hell train predates them. I guess dozens of advanced civilizations could have come and gone before them. And clearly common travel between a large number of floors was established before them too.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Shugojin posted:

Double posting but is this real urek or a data urek or what the gently caress is happening suddenly

What if he is Jahad's sworn enemy?

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Yeah, the angry blue guy waa never expained, but possibly could be some power-hungry version persona that everyone has buried deep inside. Possibly Jahad gave into his and turned into a bad guy. But for all we know it could be something FUG implanted or a literal demon, nothing would surprise me at this point.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I couldnt resist and read them. Its worth noting that the chapters are pretty rough quality and you have to read the crappy translation on a separate sheet. From what I hear they sometimes are not final either.

Also all I want to do is talk about them and its painful to be silent.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
The various forms of immortality are poorly defined at this point and I wish they would be clarified.

We know the family heads got some form of immortality and that Jahad has something extra on top of that (nobody is allowed to kill him?). Thing is, this all something granted by the floor guardians, so does it still count if the guardian is dead?

It also seems implied that the bracelet from the hidden floor can do something special, possibly with relation to immortality.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I feel like the original 3 canine brothers are experiments to combine an anima with it's creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
My guess is that Dooms heart is transferred along with the power to use his canine-creating abilities. Or maybe it becomes an item. Somehow Baam will make the canines masters of their own destiny.