Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I really don't think he's human.

Although, now that I think about it, no one seems to make distinctions like that in the tower. There just are people who are lizards and gators and squirrels, or have tiny useless bat wings, or whatever the hell else, and it ain't no thing. No one bats an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Y'all are weird. The crown game ruled.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

We're curious precisely because the comic's being so elliptical with the "big picture."

I definitely think we've got all the information we need to enjoy it. The world demands constant competition, sortition and ranking. It can give you what you want, but only if you're good enough (and, secretly, if you don't want things that threaten the status quo). Into this comes a monomaniacal kid of uncertain origins who makes friends readily. That's it, you're ready to read on.

I'm not sure how things beyond the scope of the story could matter to it. You might as well ask whether Sando in Shin Angyo Onshi was human: the ambiguity serves an artistic purpose.

E: although I definitely do think that what led to Baam living in a cave might be important later.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 21, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

People do come into the tower from somewhere "outside" of it, and they can go back there too (remember that Ho was attacked by a ranker as a child). We know you can't see the stars "outside".

We have no idea what kind of shape the tower has, what kind of space it occupies, from the perspective of being in these "outside" lands. I think it isn't necessarily a "tower" as we'd imagine it: it might not have an outside wall to climb.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

People who haven't been chosen are not in the tower. They're just some other place where stars are just legends.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Man, seriously? I think all the Zahard princesses rule schools. I just wish the third one (first one?) would hurry up and get there.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Not enough shoe jokes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Aww yeah, Girl Power.

I love that despite being an openly fantastical setting, there's still some magical realism going on. Like, the sheep-thing is completely weird and incongruous, but the other characters just treat it like any other dangerous creep.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

This is some good stuff right here. Really loving the vertical style.

For some reason, that seems to be typical for web-manwha. The impression I got is that that one issue is usually just 1-3 "pages", but most manga readers split them up more.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 23, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Big fish, small pond. This is like the second floor of the tower, and apparently Yuri is very much a resident of the top.

They're both rankers, which means they've both been to the top. :eng101:

But apparently there's still room for wide gaps in power between rankers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Anyone else remember that dream Lahel had where Baam had a bunch of friends and left her alone? Good times.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I think the way his influence spreads like an unstoppable virus is at least a little off-putting.

Elemennop posted:

koon is the real protagonist anyways

I pretty much agree with you, although Anak has had a lot of development too.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

pnumoman posted:

Or you can forget all that and call her blonde bitch.

No thanks!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Oh yeah, his full name is "25th Baam," and I think I remember a TN note that it was like he was named after a day of the month or something.

That may only be an aesthetic connection to the 13 month series, though, since I believe Rachelle named him.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't want him to be a jerk, but honestly, a splash of :emo: could make more interesting.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Just so no one is disappointed: this isn't a real new chapter.

The author just answers a few questions, and then gives a tiny preview of Part 2.

Despite that, it's pretty great.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I think that's just the 20th floor.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Hietala posted:

I don't think that's a picture of outside. In one of the earliest chapters you see princess Yuri running down stairs to get to the first floor, and if each floor is the size of a continent, that's probably just a flying city in the 20th floor.

This is also my opinion. I meant "everything we see in that picture is contained within the twentieth floor."

e: Oh, now that I look at it again, I see that my original perspective was off: it's a big floating island coming to a point, not a big tower stretching down to a point. :downs:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 18, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

...FUG?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I think the lightbearer is another fisherman metaphor. Lots of traditional near-shore fishing is done at night, with lanterns to attract fish.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Maybe it's actually not Baam?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I really like the design on this test administrator.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

pnumoman posted:

I think the ones being translated are

Really should be a Korean Manwha/Webcomics Megathread.

Also a :korea: emote with crying cabbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

So people who like The Breaker more than Veritas really do exist!