Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I forget that the more powerful regulars have lifespans of hundreds of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Is it bad that in a series like ToG I find having two right hands to be the weirdest thing I've seen?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm pretty sure she tried to kill him because he was stealing the spotlight from her. Rachel wanted to be the hero of her own story but she lacked any of the qualities to fulfill that dream. Baam represents all the things she doesn't have and won't achieve through her own efforts.

Baam has proven himself to have the capacity to actually scale the tower through his determination and irregular abilities. Rachel is being used by others for unknown reason and can't do much for herself. I don't know what Headon was thinking letting her climb up, but her ascent has been aided by Fug and I don't know why.

Baam is being very immature but I wouldn't say creepy. Rachel is something of a mother to him, she taught him things and was the only other sentient creature he knew for his entire life. Him seeking confirmation for why she would betray him so severely is completely understandable. And then essentially throwing a temper tantrum when he finally realized he has been rejected makes sense. He's still a child emotionally and he's been coping for years now by just bottling things up.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't think Shinsoo exists outside the tower but I've never really thought about why Baam was kept in a hole under the ground.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Page: http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-149/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=230

I wanted Baam to swing so much, but instead he got to relive the event that landed him in his current situation. Here's hoping for an epic save from Koon next week

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lyon posted:

I thought, based on the blog posts, that Irregulars were people who entered the Tower through their own power rather than being chosen by the Tower (or being born there I guess). This gives them certain Irregular abilities which sounded primarily like not being as bound by the Tower's rules. It also seems to mean they are exceptional in some way (whether their power is developed or not) since they basically forced their way into the tower.

This is what we are told in the story (I'll find the page later). Because they do not make a contract with the tower in the usual way they are exempt from certain rules. One of them is being capable of killing the King of Jahad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
He threw something into the train but I'm not sure what.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter: http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-151/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=232

Yeah, he threw the Heavenly mirror knife with Flame girl and Sweet and Sour inside. Koon continues to be the best part of this little sequence.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
"Gee Khun, the one time you need a sniper and you bench me!"
Being ManGator is suffering

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Just a heads up, do to some non-specified health concerns ToG is on recess this week.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Oh man, we're about to see that hot ManGator action. I can't wait.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I get the impression that the conductor is with FUG.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This chapter felt good. So good in fact I'm going to reread it while listening to some classy music and smoking a cigar.
Rachel getting the verbal smackdown from Khun was so cathartic. "Sure you can go first, but you're still so green after all these years you can't even tell that that thing is compressed. Have fun with that."

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 26, 2015

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Guess it's leading to a fight between Baam and a (at least partially) complete Hoaqin, though I can't see how that would work unless Baam is now as strong as a high ranker or something.

While I don't necessarily mind Hoaqin winning and absorbing his brothers, I don't really like the way it was executed. I don't like scenes where a character is pushed into a corner and then goes "heh I actually had the ability to win all along through some previous unmentioned mechnism."

Given how desperate we've seen Hoaqin is to complete himself you have to wonder why he never used this trump card earlier. There's the obvious explaination of "he didn't expect his siblings to rebel this much" or "using the forced merger stresses his body" but yeah, this definitely feels like a last minute instant-win button the author just gave him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I can't help but feel that a lot of the hatred aimed at her is influenced by the fact that she's both a woman and relatively unattractive.
That's a huge assumption and not founded by any comments in this thread. Out of all the villains in the series, Rachel is the oldest and closest. Her betrayals are all personal and affect the main cast (Bam and Khun specifically). All of her betrayals have come at a huge cost to both parties and had repercussions that affected the direction of the narrative and the side casts as well. Other villains are arc villains, around for a few months and then shunted off or put on the back burner, Rachel has been with us for years now. She's been on one huge win streak since the beginning of the series and nobody has been able to really stop her until recently. Every other time she screwed someone over she got away scott free, so a lot of her getting dunked on right now by Khun is cathartic. Her gender has nothing to do with the hate she's getting, her being an rear end in a top hat who has had her comeuppance a long time coming is why she's getting hated on.

To put it in context. If Rachel were to magically become Raphael the male betrayer, people would still be hating on him.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 11, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I didn't like the way the coin thing was resolved. My previous impression of Koon's character was that he was too smart for that kind of magical thinking.

It makes sense when you think about what Koon is trying to do right now. He wants to utterly crush Rachel and part of doing that is taking away her belief that she is destined for greatness. It's still a huge gamble for him to do things the way he is doing them though. He had already won but let his emotions and curiosity compel him to make an agreement that I think is going to bite him in the rear end later on. And giving her a dollar and not eliminating her there is a bad move from a pragmatic standpoint. Even if he was trying to "prove" that god doesn't favor her, Rachel is still a resourceful and lucky person to have made it this far while essentially being an unremarkable person outside of her convictions.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Can she even handle the power of a thorn?

Also Yuri going on a rampage would make for an amazing arc.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
"It's too big" - Hesse, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You'd think living for several hundred years, people would learn to stop accepting drinks from strangers.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rak needs to channel his inner Alucard and release his chibi form.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There's no justice in this world.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Bam's fight is really enjoyable, I wasn't too invested in the fight on the train but I'm liking Kaiser's fighting style and how Bam is adapting to it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bernardo Orel posted:

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-219/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=300 Turns out that in order to defeat a girl, you have to grab her arm and don't let go

Standard female grab area. I'm surprised more people don't exploit that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-220/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=301
Kaiser finally gets unmasked
It looks like the Name stealing station is winding down. Some setup for what I assume will be the next story arc is going down. It's been fun at this station though, could have been drawn out with the whole "collect the 10 bosses names" but we got through it at a very nice pace. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Annointed posted:

One of the most powerful weapons in Tower of God is a finger puppet.

Not only a finger puppet, but also suspiciously 3-D hands. That's real power when you can bring a whole other dimension into a fight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tipme posted:

Getting a Greed Island vibe from this, personally.

I can only hope. Haven't they already played Dodgeball though?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Lots of discussions going on. If I can throw my two cents into the rachel discussion; the main reason I don't like her, and one that has been said enough already, is that she makes too many excuses. Even before Baam knew he was an irregular he still charged into a cage match with a miniature leviathan because he wanted his goal more than he wanted to live. I can't think of a character outside of Rachel climbing the tower that hasn't shown that much resolve as well. However, when confronted herself with the same challenge, and keeping in mind the new information that she has previous baggage with the tower, she balked and claimed that things weren't fair and that has been her mantra this entire time.

She's definitely a compelling antagonist but as of now she's more annoying than interesting. Her betrayal of Khun was probably the last moment of hers I cared about. The irony of Rachel is that she really exists as a carrot to keep Baam going up and people know this. I don't like how she doesn't work for her powerups in contrast to how Baam almost dies and loses the people he cares for for each upgrade and new technique. It's part of the dynamic, but again, now it's no longer interesting and it's repeated too much.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I just think Rachel has a different perspective. All we know so far is her impetus for even climbing the tower is that she was so inspired by Arlene Grace and the prophecy she brought with her that she felt that she must make it happen. Over time, it's clear that she became resentful of Baam because he was so naive, gifted, and oblivious to the importance he has. From her eyes, no one ever gave her a thing; she had to physically steal or manipulate people into giving her what she wants. I don't agree that Rachel doesn't show resolve. Her resolve isn't the sympathetic heroism of Baam; it's just selfish resolve to prove to herself that she's the child of the prophecy. Anyways, SIU is doing a good job playing them off of each other.

It's not about Heroism, if she really wanted to see her dream become reality she should have stepped into the cage. Whatever connection to Arlene she has, she wants to see the stars but never had the drive to put herself in harms way. Sure everyone has different potentials and heights they can climb on their own merits alone. But Rachel was giving up before she ever got tp the first floor. I really liked the first tests as we saw how other regulars handled the reality of their strengths. You had people who killed loved ones just for the chance to enter the tower, people who trained for years upon years, motivated and driven individuals with goals and plans and when they couldn't even get past a simple barrier it all came crashing down. And you do have people very much in Rachel's position in terms of how strong they are. Ship is for all intents and purposes a normal guy. Same with Wangnan and the majority of Baam's group leading up to the Hell Train. Yet they were still trying, risking their lives and savings to keep climbing.

Rachel is a dreamer who wants the end without the work. That is why she irks me. Because she's still getting carried by other parties and she's still getting away with her nonsense. I congratulate the author for writing a villain I love to hate. But at this point I need more backstory on her because not having the information and keeping her around are a detriment to the plot.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What Gologle said. How many times are you going to encounter what looks like certain death trying to climb the tower? How many times will that appearance of certain death be a reality? If it didn't happen then, it would have happened later for Rachel and she still would have balked. The only difference here is that instead of having someone like Lero-ro to put her down with just a wall of Shinsu; she got wrapped up in the FUG conspiracy thanks to Head-on.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
How many years have we been sitting on that ring and it's significance?

drat these timely interruptions.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Cool chapter, cool enough for me to want to talk about. Was the nanny a lost princess perhaps?

Could be, I was thinking that her death was a fixed event. And that all of these princes were given nannies that were put on a timer and each of them were being monitored. To better foster the mentality in the princes to seek out Jahad at all costs and compel them upward.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

i'm a big fan of baam finally calling out her bullshit

In a perfect world, this is where Rachel's story ends. But I know deep down inside that she'll scrape through this encounter and be all the more twisted for it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Can you even count it as her victory when it's basically Gustang securing the prize himself? The stingray even detached from Rachel to snipe the object from Jahad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm just saying. Rak is right there. If Baam just walks past him and nods Rachel won't be a problem anymore. Not like sparing her here will do anyone any good as she is incredibly petty. Surprised he didn't pump her for info on what she did to Khun though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pierson posted:

Setting up a Gofundme for my pals Evankhell and Jinsung, who got fired by their rear end in a top hat of a boss just for talking on the job.

That was such a jarring and clumsy transitiom.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I have to wonder the logic of announcing your identity when you are just gathering information. Because it's not like you aren't a notable regular or anything and that stealth isn't important when a bunch of 10 family sponsored regulars are convening in one area.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Regarding the lack of outstanding fight choreography. It's something I noticed with Gosu and other stories on the site in that the biggest aspect of fights are people standing in place and throwing magic blasts at each other rather than the more intimate close quarters combat. And when ToG does do close quarters it doesn't really wow me, lots of simple jabs for the non-sword users. I think in general I don't find many webtoons that have excellent fight sequences, part of the problem I feel is attached to the format of the comic itself not being good for having a steady sense of flow to a fight. About the only exception I can think of was Hellper which not only was able to add the sense of scale and differences in strength, but also utilized the comic format by asking the reader to rapidly scroll down at times to accentuate the speed of some attacks.

I think there is a problem when a punch from Urek has the same feel as one delivered by Baam as far as the form they use. It's borderline like they have no weight behind the punch itself. Which also wasn't the case when Season 2 started and Baam was reintroduced as Viole, he carried himself like a trained fighter and his strikes felt quick and deadly. I don't know a lot about Urek save what is in the actual series but given his demeanor he doesn't seem to be cut from the same cloth as a formal school of martial arts so I'd imagine his punches should be wilder and more like haymakers than something derived from a kata. Yet by the time we get to the Hell Floor I noticed that Baam and him have similar windups to their hits.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Huh. White's getting back his full power. That's...news I guess. Hope there is a solid contingency at hand for this because that's a bigger problem in the long run

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I was confused because I remembered early on they made a big deal about Evankhall being the kind of person to stomp out F.U.G activities which is why Coffee waited until she was off the floor to pull any shenanigans. Now it looks like Evankhall is just 100% down for the cause? Did I forget something in the weeks since we last saw them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Evankhell is very much pro... tower? And the Administrator of the floor sent them there so Evankhell is like... well must want me to do something? And then an opportunity to hit people showed up and Evankhell likes hitting people.

See my thought is that Evankhell still hasn't realized what is going on as she showed up late so maybe she hasn't realized Hansung is FUG, but then we show up right next to Karaka's heart and.

Hypocrisy posted:

She is surprisingly okay with old man Karaka and FUG.
Is where I get confused. because you would think someone who is pro-tower would take the chance to kill Karaka and make it stick. Instead she's just kind of standing there wondering what the administrator wanted and chatting it up with a FUG slayers minion. It works because we can assume the administrator wanted them to then get portaled from here to the hell train station, but that then goes back to the question of what kind of game the administrators are playing.